Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food in nightclubs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You can't bait a bowl of weekend stew when it's made at about 2.00 on Friday night / Saturday morning with the 78 spinning ABBA's greatest hits up at number 9, finding a bit of mystery meat adds to the occasion.....:p

Sugarfree wrote: »
    Does anyone here remember the Grill nightclub in Letterkenny. They had an actual chip shop in the nightclub, I think its well gone now.

Playhouse nightclub in Tallaght had a chipper in there too recently enough, (2003/2004). Was in the pub in the same complex one night, there was a wet T shirt competition, then into the club and a lash of chips come closing time. Nothing like it in Cork. And the accent on the Tallaght ladies, savage :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mdawg

there is a Irish nite club in London that still serves sandwiches (roast beef and salmon) at about 12 at night. well it did about 4 years ago.
    it was called Dicey Reillys in Neasden and it called itself northwest London's premier night spot!
    the place was mental, they played and irish set that consisted of saw doctors, declan nerny and big tom songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The lawyer guys post is right, it was not "free" it was already paid for in your ticket, it technically had to be that way. I remember them in club92 and in fibber magees in town (who had chilli), I remember getting peoples tickets and loudly complaining how fattening the food was -which resulted in getting girls tickets, I still get desserts at weddings with this devious trick.

There must be still some "substantial meal" rules, eddie rockets now sell pints of heineken but you must get a meal, and AFAIK a large burger can count as a meal, the pints were only 2.50 a while back. Or else they made the rule up themselves to sell burgers and stop pissheads.

There are other loopholes, like for theatres, so the gaiety can open very late when it is really a nightclub, I think andrews lane theatre opens late like this too. I am surprised loopholes are not taken advantage of more, an obvious one would be a bring your own drink "restaurant" which is really a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Silverfish wrote: »
    No, it was something to do with getting a late license, they had to serve food.

I remember getting a roast chicken, mash and veg in a nightclub in Moate.

And chicken and chips in the Ardboyne in Navan.

Bad times, bad times.

I knew one of the chefs that worked in the Ardboyne years ago when they did suppers for the nightclub, he warned us never to eat them but it never stopped us when full of sauce. :eek:

Still here to tell the tale so they couldn't have been all that bad..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Aye I remember this, a stunt to get people in the door and it worked,

The only prob was it was mostly fellas went, full of drink to get the food and have a wee dance with themselves before kicking the ****e outta some poor gasun minding his own business.

All in the price of the tickets, plus the cleaners got a lot of extra hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Sugarfree wrote: »
    Does anyone here remember the Grill nightclub in Letterkenny. They had an actual chip shop in the nightclub, I think its well gone now.

Don't remember a chip shop, but do remember the suppers. Always got the chips & salad, they were always very generous with the beetroot & I hated beetroot! Friday nights & Sunday nights in the 90s. Great memories.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I remember getting a good feed of chicken and chips in zeniths in howth. It set you up for the long walk down the hill to try and grab a taxi in the harbour. This was around 95 or 96 and I can still hear santrancisco playing on the decks, good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ah remember it well. Sat night in Najinskys on the Curragh, belly full of beer then upstairs for chicken chips and peas. Smallest chickens I have ever seen. Good times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

rubadub wrote: »
    I am surprised loopholes are not taken advantage of more, an obvious one would be a bring your own drink "restaurant" which is really a pub.
    Oh, but there are. There's a restaurant in Dublin that will serve wine until 6am, once you're eating there. Dislike wine myself, so never went there.

I know of a restaurant in Leixlip that won't serve you alcohol, unless you buy a meal (an actual meal, not just a burger), but I think that's just a nice scam/scheme they have :D
    Asked over in Legal forum and got this rather excellent explanation
    coylemj wrote: »
    The definition of a substantial meal was that it was a meal that could be considered a meal in itself or as the main course of a meal 'and for which it would be reasonable to charge not less than 50p' - 63 cents in todays money.
    Considering a can of coke then cost 50p, and now costs 90cent, and that wages were a lot lower back then, 50p could've gone a lot longer back then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement