Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food in nightclubs

Options
  • 04-01-2011 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't sure which forum to ask, I hope the brothers can help. And settle a bet.
    But mods, certainly feel free to move

In the late 1990's, I remember attending nightclubs and they gave out baskets of chips and cocktails sausages.

As I understood it there was some law/licensing situation that clubs were required to give out food. But alas, that's long gone now

Don't tell me I imagined this. :eek:

Or have I got it all wrong? Anyone else remember? A few places in the midlands did this
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

No, it was something to do with getting a late license, they had to serve food.

I remember getting a roast chicken, mash and veg in a nightclub in Moate.

And chicken and chips in the Ardboyne in Navan.

Bad times, bad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh they were the days.

The club i used to go to during the nineties used to serve free burgers and chips to everyone who produced their entrance tickets.

Best burgers in town.

As far as i know it was a licensing law agreement with the local Judge, in order for them to have a night club license.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I always thought it was gas when my parents used to tell me about going out to a club and eating a snack box.

Even a snack box couldn't entice me to go into a club. What's the point? Just go to the chipper instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Me and "the bird" (Not the one sat next to me now... who is now wife and Mammy) used to go to club 92 on Sunday nights (free ladies and men's concession passes) to get fed for free and then head home - she lived close by and was happy to drive - I got to have chips & sausages, and a few pints: Result! :D

Then one night I was biting into the sausage, bit through the fork and broke a crown I had on one of my teeth - I promptly left in a huff and didn't come back for some time; cost me £60 to get my crown back on - so much for free grub!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

janeybabe wrote: »
    I always thought it was gas when my parents used to tell me about going out to a club and eating a snack box.

Even a snack box couldn't entice me to go into a club. What's the point? Just go to the chipper instead.

'twas free!

Free food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That free food could be dangerous! A friend of mine once had the curry in one particular club when a piece of meat got caught in her throat and she started to choke. Someone did a Heimlich on her which caused the piece of meat to fly across the room at high speed. Closely followed by the several pints of beer that she had consumed over the course of the night. I am told it was a sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I remember this,what was the reason for stopping it?change in licencing laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Most of the nightclubs in Limerick seemed to serve chili con carne which wouldn't be a good combination with a belly full of alcohol.

The Lodge, the nightclub out by UL used to always serve it. I knew students who would go to the nightclub (free in before 10) so they could have a few pints and 'free dinner' :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Zaph wrote: »
    That free food could be dangerous! A friend of mine once had the curry in one particular club when a piece of meat got caught in her throat and she started to choke. Someone did a Heimlich on her which caused the piece of meat to fly across the room at high speed. Closely followed by the several pints of beer that she had consumed over the course of the night. I am told it was a sight to behold.

You obviously don't go to many rural clubs, plenty of girls shovin meat down their throats still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Wouldnt mind an oul bowl of coddle next time im out on the dance floor nom nom nom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What's coddle? :confused:
    Never heard of it in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Tefral

a "Stew" of rashers, sausages, onion and potato

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coddle

Its a real Dublin dish but jaysus id do anything for a bowl of it

Ah, must be a Dublin thing
    I'd never heard of it

Yea its very Dublin my good man

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭MonkeyDoo

Most of the nightclubs in Limerick seemed to serve chili con carne which wouldn't be a good combination with a belly full of alcohol.

The Lodge, the nightclub out by UL used to always serve it. I knew students who would go to the nightclub (free in before 10) so they could have a few pints and 'free dinner' :D

I remember picking tickets off the floor that had "chili con carne meal" on them to go back for second dibs....ahh the life of a student ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Annabells was always curry and blinkers/92 sausages and chips. Every club had to serve food to comply with the licencing law of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Never liked coddle, definitely wouldn't go to a nightclub for it. Saw it on the menu in a restaurant there the other day, I just think it's a very odd dish to have anywhere except at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I remember the Greville in Mullingar back in the day having the full carvery on the go during the night club. Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Why is everyone saying it's madness?

I think it's a bloody brilliant idea! Although it would screw the chippers over.

• Advertisement

Glad to see so many remember these days

I wonder why it stopped. I might stroll over to legal forum and see if they know what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Yep. Twas a great idea. iirc, It was working backwards; as in, when food was served, then alcohol could be too. So beer was served, ONLY once food was too.

Ahhh, the olde days, when you could get drunk, and fed, for next to nought. There was more to World Cup '90 than football :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

Does anyone here remember the Grill nightclub in Letterkenny. They had an actual chip shop in the nightclub, I think its well gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sugarfree wrote: »
    Does anyone here remember the Grill nightclub in Letterkenny. They had an actual chip shop in the nightclub, I think its well gone now.

Was just about to post that, think it was late ninties early noughties.

Food was about as bad as the venue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

voodoo lounge sold pizza! mm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

irish-stew wrote: »

Food was about as bad as the venue.

Jesus, dont say that, many a Sunday night was spent in Bella's, £5 (maybe less) in and you got a ticket for food.
    The mates used to get a curry chips and coleslaw, which looked like crap and i always got something different, but one night i was particularly drunk i order it.....fecking heaven. couldn't even look at it sober, but it just "worked" on a belly full of beer.

Them were the days, i think they only ever served the food on week nights or a Sunday night, think they could serve drink later on Fridays and Saturdays without the food.

Asked over in Legal forum and got this rather excellent explanation
    coylemj wrote: »
    I'm not sure where it is now but it goes back to the 70s when cabaret joints with restaurants attached to them exploited a loophole whereby a person consuming a 'substantial' meal could be served drink for an hour after normal closing time.

The definition of a substantial meal was that it was a meal that could be considered a meal in itself or as the main course of a meal 'and for which it would be reasonable to charge not less than 50p' - 63 cents in todays money.

This gave rise to the chicken dinners at cabaret spots all over the country. You paid an admission charge which included the meal and you got a voucher for the meal, most of the vouchers were never redeemed because almost everyone was there for the extra hour at the bar.

Any of the old style dance halls that hadn't been killed by discos were completely wiped out by this development as it meant that in most towns on a Saturday night there was a big migration from the pubs to the cabaret spots at closing time for an extra hour's drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

This late meal was the only decent food i got in the week when i was living in carlow town in around 99.. The foundry did a decent enough feed of chilli/curry/ or sausage and chip in a little room over the jacks.. i was a regular customer of a thursday nite and part of the nite out was the wonder of what was gonna be for dinner that nite .. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

i used to work in tropics in Limerick and hated cleaning up the curried vomit. also the food used to come from the kitchen in a black plastic sack in a shopping trolly that we used to push across the floow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

BTW that was also the place that used to play Rock The Boat as the last song when the staff couldn't be arsed cleaning the dancefloor!

Advertisement