Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litre of Spirits Safe????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

TheZohan wrote: »
    Choking on the aul vomit is, however.
    That's what I was getting at - death from straight-up alcohol poisoning is quite rare; death or injury from misadventure much less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depending on various personal factors, but most critically the total drinking time, this calculator trips over from "unconscious" to "dead" at anything faster than about 23 hours for 1L of 40% vodka.

In other words, if you drink this much in less than one full 24 period it might kill you.

That said, I think I've done a normal (70cl) size bottle of spirits in one session, and survived. I wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Your brother is an idiot, and you're a bigger one, coming on boards asking for advice like this when you know the answer.

Tell your folks what he intends doing, before we all read about him or his mates, jumping into a car after their session and killing someone:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

Ah sure, gimme the address of the house that the party is at and I'll head over and look after him for you. I'll of course need payment.

Litre of Vodka should do it.

The most I've ever drank in a single session was what was supposed to be my supplies for a weekend road trip: 1.4L of vodka and 8 cans; all, somehow, over the course of about 5 hours.

I didn't die, as you can see, but I did start on everyone in the room and set my mate's couch on fire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Had a litre of Vodka last night and just got up. Not a pianful hangover but I feel very weak. I strongly doubt a 17 year old will get to the end of a litre without puking though so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Could you live with yourself if he died, knowing what you now know?

I guess it remains to be seen who is the bigger idiot.
    Tell your parents for Jaze sake.

amacachi wrote: »
    Had a litre of Vodka last night and just got up. Not a pianful hangover but I feel very weak. I strongly doubt a 17 year old will get to the end of a litre without puking though so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    I've found vokda lacks that safety net extant in beer and the like. You can down in all in no time and it just hits you like a paralytic train before you see it coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

I went into a blackout one night, drinking vodka, and snapped out of the blackout on an aeroplane, with the stewardess asking me for my boarding pass, which I'd lost.

I couldn't remember booking a flight, and didn't know where I was going because I was sans boarding pass, and was too embarrassed to ask anybody.

What a hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I've found vokda lacks that safety net extant in beer and the like. You can down in all in no time and it just hits you like a paralytic train before you see it coming.

True that but unless it happens to everyone at the same time it should be safe once they know to turn the passed out people onto their side. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

He sounds like an inexperienced drinker, I doubt he'll get halfway through the bottle without puking his ring up and passing out.

Or he'll feel so **** that he'll stop drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Unfortunately op, at that age your brother is what we commonly refer to as an idiot. I'm fairly sure most people on here have consumed way to much alchohol at that age. Chances are if he claims he's drinking x amount it's probably bull****. You can tell him all the horror storys ya like but he won't listen. As for the litre of vodka, chances are he'll pass out/Fall asleep/soil himself before finishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We used to do that when I was around 18 years old, we'd buy bottles of vodka and spend the day drinking them before heading to the pub. I don't know how we managed it, certainly couldn't do it any more. Last time I drank a bottle of whiskey I was sick for days after wards. It's something you'll try a few times and grow out of fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Reminds me of what Dylan Moran said about vodka:

'Vodka is a very deceptive drink, because you drink it and you think, "What is this? This is pointless! It's - you can't taste it, you can't smell it... Why did we waste our money on this, bloody- why are we on a traffic island?"'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

What kind of fcuking idiot is he!? A litre? He wont even get thru it anyway if he only started drinking... Leave him off though, its a good lesson (speaking from experience..:()..
    Just go into him in the morning and start playing some annoying song like The Sweet Escape or Dragonsta Den Tai at full volume.. he'll never touch the stuff again..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

A litre of vodka in one drunken session is far more dangerous than taking pills for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

He's 17, he won't get a whole litre down before he passes out unless he is a proper fat bastard.

It's quite possible to drink that much, but idealy should be done over the course of a day rather than just one short night.

Also, since he's with a load of mates they are gonna be pouring triples to seem cool, so yeah, he's pretty much fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

he'll not be remembering much if hes not a lump of a gosson.id often drink 70cl of rum on a night out and be reasonably ok.13 or 14 pints,which is about the same as 1 litre of 40% vodka,would have me blacking out.the chance of dying directly from that amount of drinks is minimal,the chance of dying does however increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Im 25, and as much as I love vodka a litre is a serious amount. Ive done it but he'll be in bits for a few days at his age and overall its not a good idea. Anytime I drank that amount it I regretted it when i realised I drank that much.

At the same time it could be a few 17yr olds talking ****e and trying to be the big man, would be suprised if they got through a litre each. At that age everyone exaggerates how much they drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

and set my mate's couch on fire.

i lol'd :D

anyway, he's not gonna be physically able to drink that much op, he'll try and pass out tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

This is absolutely disgusting.
    Its a sad indictment of Irish society and the effect the modern drinking culture is having on the youth of today.
    The most vodka I ever had was two naggins, and i cant remember anything that happened after i downed them. I felt absolutely horrible for two days after it and i havent touched a drop of alcohol in almost 18 months since then; until the day i drop dead I wont touch that devils juice ever again. Alcohol is a curse on the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thats what she said o_O

wake him up good and early, and take him for a loooong spin in the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Alcohol is a curse on the world.

When stupid amounts are consumed I agree. In moderation I've no problems with drink at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BuzyLizzy wrote: »
    My 17year old brother recently began college and had started drinking quite a bit. On a usual night out he will drink a bottle of buckfast along with 3pints of beer possibly more for all I know!
    You can multiply up the alcohol contents to get estimates -though drinking neat vodka quickly will have more effect.

e.g. buckfast 14.8%x750ml=11,100
    3x4.3%x568ml=7,327

so 18,400 "booze points".

I expect his litre might be the absolut on offer, which is 40%, so 40,000. So he is planning on having over twice the usual.

A litre is like 16x500mlcans of 5% beer, but will hit harder if drank neat or not diluted a lot.

Strange how a lot of boys seem to start out with the buckfest. I dont drink anymore, but even when I did, theres no way I could have put that medicine to my lips :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

When he is in A and E later on smothered in his own piss, **** and vomit, take a photo of him so that he'll have something to remember the night by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

At 17 his tolerance for the taste of raw vodka is akin to George michaels taste for fanny.

So in essance hes going to make it a bit*h drink and mixing it with OJ or some other juice and he aint gonna get so drunk that he'll smother on it.

I love the taste of raw vodka and pussy.

Im old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Leave him drink it. Done it plenty of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

BuzyLizzy wrote: »
    My 17year old brother recently began college and had started drinking quite a bit. On a usual night out he will drink a bottle of buckfast along with 3pints of beer possibly more for all I know! He is talking about going to a friends house tonight and a few young lads (his age) drinking a litre of vodka EACH. I am wondering of the health problems associated with the consumption of this amount of alcohol in one go before he leaves tonight.

Thank you in advance for replies :)

a litre of Spirits might be safe for an elephant, human beings otoh, probably not wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

snyper wrote: »
    At 17 his tolerance for the taste of raw vodka is akin to George michaels taste for fanny.

So in essance hes going to make it a bit*h drink and mixing it with OJ or some other juice and he aint gonna get so drunk that he'll smother on it.

I love the taste of raw vodka and pussy.

Im old
    The older I get the less I can handle vodka. I remember throwing down a shoulder before a disco or something when I was 14 or 15. Couldn't do it now, though I can't imagine I'd want to either.

Advertisement