Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litre of Spirits Safe????

Options
  • 04-01-2011 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

My 17year old brother recently began college and had started drinking quite a bit. On a usual night out he will drink a bottle of buckfast along with 3pints of beer possibly more for all I know! He is talking about going to a friends house tonight and a few young lads (his age) drinking a litre of vodka EACH. I am wondering of the health problems associated with the consumption of this amount of alcohol in one go before he leaves tonight.

Thank you in advance for replies :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Might leave him feeling like he's gonna die for a few days but a valuable life lesson gained

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Tell him to man up, just the one litre, pfft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Absolutely disgraceful.

You need to march straight up to his room and tell him blue in the fce that hes not going out tonight! Then go around the offo, pick up a bottle of vodka and sit him down. Make him watch you drink that whole bottle straight up and let him see how damaging it is firsthand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Guaranteed blackout drunk. He won't have any control over his actions, but he does have control over how much he drinks.

It's a ****ing horrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The only way to be sure is to drink a litre of Vodka yourself right now and see for yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Sack me? Sack me?

I MADE THE BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Tell him to cop the fcuk on. Its a dangerous amount of alcohol to consume. Especially for a little pup.

Look what happened to this guy...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1105/1224282724335.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Stupid Idea.

Death is very possible with that amount of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I once drank almost a litre of T.D. whiskey. Didn't drink for months after and still cant touch Tullamore Dew.
    Just thinking of it now makes me want to throw up.

Actually it was almost a whole regular bottle, 75cl.

Anyway, it's very dangerous and he could die from it, poisoning himself or maybe vomiting and chocking himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Well if it's legal surely its safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

A litre of vodka could be enough to kill him. I'm a seasoned vodka drinker and I'd be in a world of pain after a litre under certain conditions.

If he is insisting on drinking make sure he has a substantial meal beforehand, and keep an eye on him...and don't let him outside...a litre will power the vodka scooter for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When the time comes, it would be best not to opt for cremation, as the aftermath will be like the fire-bombing of Dresden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

BuzyLizzy wrote: »
    He is talking about going to a friends house tonight and a few young lads (his age) drinking a litre of vodka EACH. I am wondering of the health problems associated with the consumption of this amount of alcohol in one go before he leaves tonight.

Totally safe once it's consumed in a pub.
    ... signed the VFI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

He is talking about going to a friends house tonight and a few young lads (his age) drinking a litre of vodka EACH.

My guess is he's all talk like most 17 year olds and won't really be drinking that much. And if he does then he'll learn a valuable lesson the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

TheZohan wrote: »
    A litre of vodka could be enough to kill him.

Not a bad way to go though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

My 17year old brother recently began college and had started drinking quite a bit. On a usual night out he will drink a bottle of buckfast along with 3pints of beer possibly more for all I know! He is talking about going to a friends house tonight and a few young lads (his age) drinking a litre of vodka EACH. I am wondering of the health problems associated with the consumption of this amount of alcohol in one go before he leaves tonight.

Thank you in advance for replies :)

Your brother is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

What, in a pool of your own vomit,piss and shite?

I hate to put the kybosh on anyones plans, but for Gods sake, better to have one pissed off little brother, than to be walking behind his coffin. I wouldnt let him leave the house.

Tell your parents what he plans to do .

Death from alcohol poisoning is possible but unlikely.

Chances of death from falling into a canal or under the wheels of a car will increase by several orders of magnitude.

I've drank that much and more before. There's not a chance he'll have a clue what he's doing.

Four years ago I'd have replied to the OP with "CHUG, CHUG, CHUG!" I've grown up since and learned through experience that it’s moronic behavior and, moreover, dangerous on multiple levels – doubly so if his friends are going to be in the same state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

Aldebaran wrote: »
    My guess is he's all talk like most 17 year olds and won't really be drinking that much.

The problem could be them egging each other on.

A ridiculous amount to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

He sounds like a real hard man, talking about drinking that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Just show your brother the Irish Times link and this thread. I can't imagine anything good coming from drinking a litre of vodka. Even if they are all fine (after the almighty hangover) they wont remember if they had any fun or not, so what the hell is the point?

If you're reading this, OP's brother, you're a retard, especially as you are planning it while sober.

And it's a Tuesday for god's sake.

Pace2008 wrote: »

Chances of death from falling into a canal or under the wheels of a car will increase by several orders of magnitude.

I've drank that much and more before. There's not a chance he'll have a clue what he's doing.

Four years ago I'd have replied to the OP with "CHUG, CHUG, CHUG!" I've grown up since and learned through experience that it’s moronic behavior and, moreover, dangerous on multiple levels – doubly so if his friends are going to be in the same state.

You may be right, but I would think a litre of strong spirits WOULD be enough to kill .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

im a heavy vodka drinker but even at bottle in one night, before going out to the club i haven't done in a long time, and last time i did it, well lets just say not invited to any function my mates family is having ever again, very stupid of him to do it, but sure in a country where alcohol is legal and you can consume as much as you want people are gonna get hurt and die. sad story about that cork man

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Some people can get away with it, but there are stories on a regular basis of the idiots that don't.

A vodka-drinking competition? Twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Chances are you'd end up severely brain damaged instead.
    Pace2008 wrote: »

Choking on the aul vomit is, however.

Danbo! wrote: »
    Just show your brother the Irish Times link and this thread. I can't imagine anything good coming from drinking a litre of vodka.
    Meh, shock-and-awe tactics are a bit dated. The chances of death from alchol toxicity are pretty low.

I sorted out my drinking (all too recently) when my friends bluntly told me I was getting arsehole drunk too often, and it was pure selfishness on my part having them take care of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Madness...severely putting himself at risk....

Don't let him do it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

you're brother is an idiot.

better have the funeral home on hold, with 1 litre. he's probably still at that stage bigging up how much he's drinking. give him a slap and tell him to cop on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He'll be OK if he doesn't try and down it neat. He should be in no rush to drink that much, the main reason people die is from trying to down half a litre at once and then they get accute alcohol poisoning and die. Not a great idea to drink it with a bunch of lads though.

Advertisement