Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Partnership my arseeee

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The New Zealand Civil Union is gender neutral. As is the Danish one, if I've read correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I remember reading about this somewhere, and that it might have something to do with the fact that the PACS grants fewer rights than the others.

Unfortunately I can't find my source now...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aard wrote: »
    The New Zealand Civil Union is gender neutral. As is the Danish one, if I've read correctly.

Time to contact Justice and ask, then. That was the only reasoning I could think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Cork is a mess (don't know what it's like anywhere else). We got married in Barcelona last March so we went to the registrar's office (and Citizen's Information office) in Cork and they knew nothing. They told us we'd have to go through the whole application process for a wedding (they didn't have any of the paperwork or information leaflets for Civil Partnerships) including the three month wait. I knew they were wrong so contacted the DoJ myself and was told we'll have a de facto recognition on the basis of the minister's order.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/SI-649-of-201
    http://www.groireland.ie/civil_partnership.htm
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=16693&&CatID%3B=59

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

n fairness to Cork it is not there fault . Unfortunately there was no planning in the actual implementation of this by the Department of Health.
    The very helpful manager here in Cork told me this morning that they actually have no system to register the actual registration as this has all been computerised and will not be ready until after the 23rd of Jan.
    They are now taking actual appointments for the end of Jan and hoping the system will be installed by then
    In the last two days they have had more than 50 people through the doors wanting to register
    As I have been saying in all my posts the fault lies with the Minister and the senior managers who have had over 6 months to plan this.
    Anyway that is the country we live in

I would imagine once the system is up and running your registration can be put up within minutes
    The Best of Luck in any case

• Advertisement

^ I suppose to be fair to Cork (and Ireland), Spain has had same-sex marriage for 5 years and the wedding certificates still say 'husband' and 'wife' :eek:

:D

Panti's blog explains why the PACS isn't accepted; apparently its because it can be dissolved without a court hearing. We only class ones that require a court hearing to dissolve as equivalent.

As of today certain same-sex marriages and civil partnerships from other countries and US states are legally recognised in Ireland:

Argentina

Austria

Belgium

Canada

Czech Republic

Denmark

Finland

Germany

Iceland

Mexico

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway

Portugal

South Africa

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

United Kingdom

California (United States of America)

Connecticut (United States of America)

Iowa (United States of America)

Massachusetts (United States of America)

New Hampshire (United States of America)

New Jersey (United States of America)

Vermont (United States of America)

Washington D.C. (United States of America)

from: S.I. No. 649 of 2010 - Civil Partnership (Recognition of Registered Foreign Relationships) Order 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

“The Civil Partnership Act came into effect on 1 January 2011.Due to the three month waiting period for all civil ceremonies in Ireland it is expected that the first civil partnership ceremonies will take place in April 2011.Certain foreign same sex legal relationship (including same sex marriage) is recognised as civil partnerships from January 13, 2011.”

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recognition_of_same-sex_unions_in_Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

DubArk wrote: »
    “The Civil Partnership Act came into effect on 1 January 2011.Due to the three month waiting period for all civil ceremonies in Ireland it is expected that the first civil partnership ceremonies will take place in April 2011.Certain foreign same sex legal relationship (including same sex marriage) is recognised as civil partnerships from January 13, 2011.”

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recognition_of_same-sex_unions_in_Ireland

How will they 'recognise' a civil partnership from another country? Do you just bring your certificate to the office for them to see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I would imagine so; just like you register anything… the proof is in the paperwork!

Anyone know more??

How will they 'recognise' a civil partnership from another country? Do you just bring your certificate to the office for them to see?

You don't bring anything anywhere at first - its a de facto recognition. There's no need to bring any documentation to the registry office is what the Dept Justice and Law Reform told me.

:cool:

When required by whatever body you're dealing with, say Inland Revenue, you'll need to present your civil partnership or wedding license/certificate at that point just like any straight married couple (been there and done that yesterday afternoon so that's how I know that bit though they didn't even ask for it at first and just took my word for it).

Mine is in Spanish and I have an official translation (embassy approved) with an Apostille Stamp from the Spanish embassy in Dublin. I don't know about other countries and languages but I would assume that if your documentation was originally in English then it would be okay however having said that experience tells me to always have the best documentation possible (official stamps and whatnot).

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Any update?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Well I'm done. Had an amazing day :D

Very well done and the best of luck to you both.
    Please God they will have someone in Cork gone through the system before I get there at the end of the month. Not into the publicty thing myself and would hate to see the local rags camped outside the building

jerry2623 wrote: »
    Very well done and the best of luck to you both.
    Please God they will have someone in Cork gone through the system before I get there at the end of the month. Not into the publicty thing myself and would hate to see the local rags camped outside the building
    LOL - do you have a big shindig planned? Maybe you will be interviewed by 'Hand Solo' himself (NP)? ;-)

nodolan wrote: »
    LOL - do you have a big shindig planned? Maybe you will be interviewed by 'Hand Solo' himself (NP)? ;-)
    Perish the thought .. No very small gig planned with big bash later in the year when weather improves

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

The publicity was a bit daunting (to say the least) and we were very worried how it would go and if there would be any demonstration outside etc. In the end it was all positive and actually added to the day. Everyone seemed to get caught up in the positive side of it. So we're well happy. We're off in Italy on our honeymoon now :-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

atgate wrote: »
    Well I'm done. Had an amazing day :D

Congratulations to you both!
    May ye live long a prosper. :D

Aard wrote: »
    WTF, they won't recognise a French PACS? Am I wrong, and if not does anybody know why?

Remembered this post today when reading the list of additional recognised partnerships/marriages:

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR13000420

PACS is still excluded but the full French marriage will be recognised from NYE.

• Advertisement
Advertisement