Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Partnership my arseeee

Options
  • 04-01-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Just been down to my local registry office to register for the big event.After all the spin from the dept is we can finally tie the knot from the 1st of Jan onwards Well it seems the big event is along way off as they have nothing on there system in the HSE controlled registry office on Civil Partnerships and not expecting to have until the end of the month.
    when they do get it up on the system you will be given a date to make appointment with a registrar which will be probably around march as they are very busy.
    At this meeting your three months notice kicks in starts and as of today they are fully booked for marriage cermonies until the end of the summer so basically We are looking at the start of next year before we can register a partnership that has been going for over 17 years
    We do live in a banana republic after all :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Sorry to hear that! I hope it all works out for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jerry2623 wrote: »
    Just been down to my local registry office to register for the big event.After all the spin from the dept is we can finally tie the knot from the 1st of Jan onwards Well it seems the big event is along way off as they have nothing on there system in the HSE controlled registry office on Civil Partnerships and not expecting to have until the end of the month.
    when they do get it up on the system you will be given a date to make appointment with a registrar which will be probably around march as they are very busy.
    At this meeting your three months notice kicks in starts and as of today they are fully booked for marriage cermonies until the end of the summer so basically We are looking at the start of next year before we can register a partnership that has been going for over 17 years
    We do live in a banana republic after all :mad:

Could you go to a registry office in a different county?

I dont understand why your local office has nothing on the system when it is up on the GRO website

http://www.groireland.ie/english_cp.pdf

http://www.groireland.ie/civil_partnership.htm

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd have assumed the HSE systems are centralised, so if this means there's nothing available on any of the systems, then it's an absolute disgrace and it should be highlighted immediately for the farce that it is.

As for the waiting period - well that's nothing particular to civil partnerships as anyone would have to wait for this. People also have to wait for slots to get married as well. As johnnymcg said, you may be able to look at a different county.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

It appears there IT people need to reword the forms and therefore wont be on the system nationally until after the 24th of Jan
    so there is no pOint going to any other county I am here in Cork City which by all accounts is not as back logged as other parts of the country.
    What is amazing is when the goverment want to take money from you they can update sytems in an instant It is not as this law was rushed through the wording of this has been out in the open for years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How many forms are there that it would take 3 weeks to do a software release? That seems very long (and I've worked on large-scale IT systems).

It's exactly the sort of story that should be released to a paper, to further highlight the disgraceful disorganisation of our country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

In fairness jerry2623, this is what it's like for everyone.
    Most couples plan their weddings over a year in advance, especially if they want a certain date.
    I managed to organise mine in 6 months. It took over a month to get to see the register (Naas) and then the usual 3 month wait.
    I also got married on a Monday and did not use the Government Register, but Ray Sweeney, Head of the Pagan Federation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Beruthiel wrote: »
    In fairness jerry2623, this is what it's like for everyone.

+1 Bit of a pain they weren't ready regarding the IT side but as for the wait it's the same for everyone.

I actually dont want a certain date or any who ha running up isles etc. This is purely a legal situation I woulds like to resolve .
    They actually only do 4 cermonies a day 2 in there offices and 2 in hotels.
    When I asked her what was the earliest time I could get married she said they do 1 at 12:30 and 1 at 15:00 .The ceremony takes no longer than 20 minutes.
    They have a back log of nearly a year there seems to be something completly messed up along the way

I am with my partner for over 17 years we would just like to formalise it for legal reasons in case one of us kicked the bucket

I have not got any interest to be honest in pagan weddings, christian weddings, or any other type of weddings I just need to sign a piece of paper entitling my partner to get my estate and pensions and I get his.

Why this needs nearly a whole year of beurocratic bull****e is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Civil partnership here still goes through the same process as civil marriage, screw ball but that is how it is and you have to make affirmations out loud ie vows. If you just want to sign a contract and want it fast tracked then I suggest you take a trip to the UK where you both just sign a piece of paper and then get it ratified back here.

If you are going to wait it out in the mean time there is no reason you can't get your partner made your next of kin and the beneficiary of your will and pensions. All of which can be done by filling out the forums and a trip to a solicitor.

ztoical wrote: »
    +1 Bit of a pain they weren't ready regarding the IT side but as for the wait it's the same for everyone.

I actually think it is more than a pain these people are been paid lots and lots of money to have there sytems updated.It is typical of the Shoddy we dont give a fukc attitude of public service Managers who will never have to answer to anyone

This law has been going through the system for over two years I think was signed by the president two months ago. A kid would be able to amend the system in a couple of hours

• Advertisement

I actually dont want a certain date or any who ha running up isles etc. This is purely a legal situation I woulds like to resolve .
    They actually only do 4 cermonies a day 2 in there offices and 2 in hotels.
    When I asked her what was the earliest time I could get married she said they do 1 at 12:30 and 1 at 15:00 .The ceremony takes no longer than 20 minutes.
    They have a back log of nearly a year there seems to be something completly messed up along the way

I am with my partner for over 17 years we would just like to formalise it for legal reasons in case one of us kicked the bucket

I have not got any interest to be honest in pagan weddings, christian weddings, or any other type of weddings I just need to sign a piece of paper entitling my partner to get my estate and pensions and I get his.

Why this needs nearly a whole year of beurocratic bull****e is beyond me

You don't actually have to have a ceremony for Civil Partnerships

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/reference/legislative/legislative_background_civil_partnership_and_same_sex_couples.html
    When the Act is commenced, same-sex couples will be able to register their relationship as a civil partnership. The Registrar-General will be obliged to maintain a register of civil partnerships, a register of decrees of dissolution of civil partnerships and a register of nullity of civil partnerships. The registration rules and processes are broadly similar to those for the registration of a civil marriage and of annulments of marriage and divorce.

Civil partnerships may simply be registered. There will not be any necessity to have a civil partnership ceremony, unlike marriages which require a marriage ceremony. Civil partners may choose to have a ceremony and, if they do, the requirements will be similar to those that apply to marriage ceremonies.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Civil partnership here still goes through the same process as civil marriage

It doesn't - with Civil Marriage by law you have to have a ceremony - with civil partnership you don't

Terry Pratchet

Civil partnership here still goes through the same process as civil marriage, screw ball but that is how it is and you have to make affirmations out loud ie vows. If you just want to sign a contract and want it fast tracked then I suggest you take a trip to the UK where you both just sign a piece of paper and then get it ratified back here.

If you are going to wait it out in the mean time there is no reason you can't get your partner made your next of kin and the beneficiary of your will and pensions. All of which can be done by filling out the forums and a trip to a solicitor.

No problem making vows out loud at all

partner is next of kin but I don't see why the state should get a fair portion of my estate cause we are not married or civil partner ship

Is there a need to go down the name calling route cant understand the use of word SCREWBAll

Its simple - Go back to the registry office - tell them you dont want a ceremony and can they just do it once you have given the 3 months notice

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No problem making vows out loud at all

partner is next of kin but I don't see why the state should get a fair portion of my estate cause we are not married or civil partner ship

Is there a need to go down the name calling route cant understand the use of word SCREWBAll

I didn't call you a screwball :rolleyes:, I described the situation as being screwball, ie crazy that they have not got the policies and code of practice in place.

Johnnymcg until the registers are directed and given the guidelines they are treating them the same in practice.

As Thaedydal said it's the same as a civil marriage and the waiting list is long. My aunt was under going chemotherapy for cancer and wanted to marry her boyfriend of 10 years before she died and still had to wait several months for a date. Thankfully she has now recovered and is cancer free but it wasn't looking good in the months before the marriage.

With regardes to legal side of next of kin etc does the new bill not also cover long-term cohabiting relationships who have not entered into a civil partnership or marriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

I had my appointment today - they think its going to take a couple of weeks for the process to go online but they're running a paper system till then. The 3 month clock is now ticking and I'm due to get hitched on April 5th.

atgate wrote: »
    I had my appointment today - they think its going to take a couple of weeks for the process to go online but they're running a paper system till then. The 3 month clock is now ticking and I'm due to get hitched on April 5th.

Congratulations

Which county?

Terry Pratchet

I would imagine Dublin and more importantl I would think that she did not just walk in off the street
    This I would safely say has been pre arranged
    If so fair play and I am delighted for you
    Can you tell me What paper work did you both have to bring with you

lots of questions PM me please if you can
    Well Done !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you just want to sign a contract and want it fast tracked then I suggest you take a trip to the UK where you both just sign a piece of paper and then get it ratified back here.

As far as I'm aware, the enabling legislation to accept foreign CPs has not yet been written, only the stub allowing such a concept exists.

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Congratulations

Which county?

Dublin
    I would imagine Dublin and more importantl I would think that she did not just walk in off the street
    This I would safely say has been pre arranged
    If so fair play and I am delighted for you
    Can you tell me What paper work did you both have to bring with you

I'm a "he" btw. :)

I phoned the registrar on the 29th Dec. and asked for the earliest appointment to notify and the earliest date for the actual ceremony. They had one appointment today and a free slot on 5th April.

We brought:

Birth Certs.
    Passport
    Proof of Address
    PPS numbers. (just the info here, no proof needed)
    Fee (€150)
    Names of our witnesses and their DOBs (just the info here, no proof needed)

It gets more complicated if you've ever been married before.

They were all very pleasant and helpful. They were also apologetic that there was the extra hassle of doing it "off-line".

It seemed to me that today was the first day they actually took notification, seemed like they had just got the hard copy forms.

MYOB wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, the enabling legislation to accept foreign CPs has not yet been written, only the stub allowing such a concept exists.

Huh? The ministerial order was signed on December 23rd

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/SI-649-of-201

Terry Pratchet

MYOB wrote: »

No its done. I got this in an email from GLEN today - its not on their website yet so I can't link it.

Publication of List of Foreign Same-Sex Marriages and Civil Partnerships to be recognised in Ireland

The Department of Justice today published the list of foreign relationships which will be recognised in Ireland as Civil Partnerships. The Minister for Justice, Dermot Ahern T.D. made the Order on 23rd December recognising foreign same-sex marriages or same-sex civil partnership from 27 foreign jurisdictions.

The Department stated that “the order entitles and obliges the parties to the relationship to be treated as civil partners under the law of the State”.

The Order takes effect on 13th January 2011, which is 21 days after the Order was made. On that date, same-sex couples who have previously entered one of the specified relationships will be automatically deemed to be civil partners in Ireland, and will be subject to the rights and obligations specified in the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights of Cohabitants Act 2010.

Couples who already are in one of the specified foreign relationships will not need to re-register in Ireland. The recognition of their foreign civil marriage or civil partnership is automatic.

For further information contact the Dept of Justice or GLEN.

Link to list of countries

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Huh? The ministerial order was signed on December 23rd

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/SI-649-of-201

I was aware wrong. It was one of the issues raised at the time of the original CP bill being passed in to law and I never saw any coverage of it being sorted.

Dublin

I'm a "he" btw. :)

I phoned the registrar on the 29th Dec. and asked for the earliest appointment to notify and the earliest date for the actual ceremony. They had one appointment today and a free slot on 5th April.

We brought:

Birth Certs.
    Passport
    Proof of Address
    PPS numbers. (just the info here, no proof needed)
    Fee (€150)
    Names of our witnesses and their DOBs (just the info here, no proof needed)

It gets more complicated if you've ever been married before.

They were all very pleasant and helpful. They were also apologetic that there was the extra hassle of doing it "off-line".

It seemed to me that today was the first day they actually took notification, seemed like they had just got the hard copy forms.

Amazing luck you had in getting the one appointment today and the one appointment for three months time exactely three months to the day somone up there is looking after you probably Charlie Haughey:)

Cant understand how they were so apologetic about you having to do it "off-line" as it is not possiable to do it "on-line" .but of course you would have known this anyway :)

Here in Cork and appaerently in Dublin It can take anything up to 2 months to get an appointment with a register and them anything up to six months after this to get a date to actually get hitched
    So again very well done

Amazing luck you had in getting the one appointment today and the one appointment for three months time exactely three months to the day somone up there is looking after you probably Charlie Haughey:)

The Haughey thing is an awful thought. And just for the record no strings were pulled (and I know no one who could have pulled any strings for me).

The off-line / online this meaning they couldn't do it online on their systems they had to do it offline on paper so it took longer - that's why they were apologising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

WTF, they won't recognise a French PACS? Am I wrong, and if not does anybody know why?

Aard wrote: »
    WTF, they won't recognise a French PACS? Am I wrong, and if not does anybody know why?

Looks like that is the case yes - I've no idea what criteria thats based on

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Isn't the French PACS available to heterosexual couples too? That'd put a stumbling block in the way of us recognising it as our CP isn't.

Advertisement