Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R&G 2011

Options
  • 04-01-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what date rag week is this year??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

14th-18th of February form here http://www.ucc.ie/en/anml/events/rag/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Can people not just call it RAG week now? Less of this R&G stuff!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

D-Generate wrote: »
    Can people not just call it RAG week now? Less of this R&G stuff!

Same thing, raise and give - think it was the SU that changed it last year or the year before to get away from the drinking and partying that surrounded that particular week, taking away from what the week was actually about

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

Same thing, raise and give - think it was the SU that changed it last year or the year before to get away from the drinking and partying that surrounded that particular week, taking away from what the week was actually about

In fairness though the name Rag Week comes from students begging people for money for charity. 'Ragging' them into giving in Victorian times... has about as much to do with drinking as the current backronym does, blame the students, not the name.

To rag someone:- bother, persuade, annoy

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Well the idea with R&G was it got people at least realising that the week was supposed to be about raising and giving, a lot of students literally thought it was meant to be a fun week on the piss without any charity connection. Many still do, but at least it does a bit to help the image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

samf wrote: »
    Well the idea with R&G was it got people at least realising that the week was supposed to be about raising and giving, a lot of students literally thought it was meant to be a fun week on the piss without any charity connection. Many still do, but at least it does a bit to help the image.

Are the SU going to run student patrols again this year? They made a big difference in keeping the peace last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Are the SU going to run student patrols again this year? They made a big difference in keeping the peace last time.

Ya they will be

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

What type of events will take place? What happened last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What type of events will take place? What happened last year?
    House parties getting ruined by the student police etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Well the fact that they cant force their way onto any property and all that means they can't really ruin it that much lets be fair. To be honest they are there to try and help prevent people from being idiots and getting themselves in trouble and in the end arrested. It clearly is working according to both the Gardaí(arrest figures were way down if i remember) and residents seemed happy enough with them. Lots of people dont seem to realise you can still have a house party with plenty of people without having to rein torture upon the old living along the road.I aint a party pooper but just a tad consideration goes a hell of a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

In all fairness they get paid €12 an hour to be a pr*cks.... Can't really blame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 daithilinnane

Hey Everyone,

To follow whats happening for R&G week check out this facebook page. As events are confirmed and volunteers are needed we will be updating this page with all the information we have.

http://www.facebook.com/raiseandgiveweek

To answer a few of the questions here.

Yes, the Student Patrol will be running. As we always stress, they are not and anti-fun brigade, they are there to assist students, residents and Gardai to try accomodate everyone. Look at it this way, if a member of the student patrol knocks on the door they ask people to consider their neighbours and keep the noise down. If the Gardai knock on the door, the party is over. If the student patrol find someone drinking on the streets they tell them to finish up and recycle the bottle. If the Gardai stop the person they get on an on the spot fine of €63. As well as that, the patrol work with landlords so that they respect their tenants rights and don't go storming into their house without notice. They provide assistance to people who are alone and need to get home and they tidy up the place after the night is over so that the streets aren't messy. The Student Patrol doesn't hurt anyone and it helps a lot of people, as well as keeping good relations with local residents and protecting the reputation of UCC and its students. And by the way, they don't get paid €12 per hour.

We will be posting up some of the events soon, and will be providing information on the charities we are working with too, so the best way to keep track of what is going on is to follow the facebook page or collegeroad.ie

If anybody has any other questions or ideas, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help you.

Thanks,
    Daithi Linnane
    SU Deputy President

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Same As wrote: »
    Anyone know what date rag week is this year??

You going taking the week off work? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

And by the way, they don't get paid €12 per hour.

What do they get paid an hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 daithilinnane

I'll doublecheck that in the morning to give an exact figure, but it is the basic student rate set by UCC. Its not much higher then the previous minimum wage of 8.65euro, but I'll get an exact figure up here in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cillerz

Got my hoodie today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Anybody else doing the charity skydive?

Signed up for it alright but getting the €540 quid together is going to be a fair aul task :P

Anybody else doing the charity skydive?

Signed up for it alright but getting the €540 quid together is going to be a fair aul task :P

Yera you'll be grand! I must raise €3,000 for charity for god sake :p
    Have a table quiz!? Or just get everyone in your course to throw in a few euro..

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cillerz wrote: »
    Got my hoodie today :D

How much?? Must have a look and see what ones they have!

How much?? Must have a look and see what ones they have!

It was €20! It was the last blue one there and there was only one from another colour left. I only realised when I got home that it says 2010 on it :p Has Promo Team on it though.. He said they're getting in new stock next week..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Where do you get R&G week hoodies?

ciaradx wrote: »
    Where do you get R&G week hoodies?

Student Union Box Office there next to BoI in the Student Centre..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Hoodies pulled down from CollegeRoad Facebook:

165733_10150389578650471_244184210470_16912604_3277022_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Cillerz wrote: »
    It was €20! It was the last blue one there and there was only one from another colour left. I only realised when I got home that it says 2010 on it :p Has Promo Team on it though.. He said they're getting in new stock next week..
    Hah they sold that to you?? I got them for last years promo team, total chancers tryin to sell them on this yr :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Not the best design is it? looks likes "CC" or "YCC" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

Yeah I don't like it, who came up with the design? To me at first glance I think "College of Comm R&G"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Material looks odd to me. The cuffs and the waist part look poor and sort of flimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

Wheres the best place to go out on Rag Week. And is there anyone not going out or didnt go out last year for it. Just curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Wheres the best place to go out on Rag Week. And is there anyone not going out or didnt go out last year for it. Just curiosity.

The nightclubs will be mouldy all week. The only clubbing night for me will be Freakscene on wednesday. Will go for houseparties/pubs for the rest of the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Clubs were all jammed last year. You could hardly move inside some places they were so packed. I'd say find a decent house party. And don't light any fires, that sihts not cool.

Advertisement