Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre Stories from around the Country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

In Co Roscommon in the early 20th century, a pregnant woman went into labour while picking potatoes. She walked to the side of the field, had the child delivered (either by herself or with the help of others) and then went back picking potatoes.

I'm not sure why you are covering this as a strange story. It has happened for centuries and is still happening in lots of countries throughout the world. Women work or they don't eat and regardless of labour or a newborn baby these women have to earn enough to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

In Co Roscommon in the early 20th century, a pregnant woman went into labour while picking potatoes. She walked to the side of the field, had the child delivered (either by herself or with the help of others) and then went back picking potatoes.

Found the link I was looking for.

GOAL - India, Brick Kilns Programme

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Real story: There's a cable car out to Dursey Island in Kerry for passengers cattle.

It's in west Cork young man, and can carry 6 people or a cow every crossing. Only cable car in the Republic. Fun trip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

there is supposted to be some sort of magic road in sligo somewhere where if you leave your handbrake your car will roll up the hill

Ballintrillick, on the way up to Benbulben.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

AH response: I wouldn't count Marty Morrissey as a full grown man.

Real story: There's a cable car out to Dursey Island in Kerry for passengers cattle.
    prinz wrote: »
    It's in west Cork young man, and can carry 6 people or a cow every crossing. Only cable car in the Republic. Fun trip too.

Mad stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I've heard about this island off the west coast that's roamed by a sheep eating beast......

They say it's as big as four cats! And it's got a retractable leg so it can leap up at you better! And it lights up at night, and it's got four ears - two of them are for listening and the other two are just kind of backup ears. And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach it to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

In 2011, marijuana is still illegal.

Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

there is supposted to be some sort of magic road in sligo somewhere where if you leave your handbrake your car will roll up the hill

There's one in the Cooley Mountains somewhere, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Windmills around the world always turn in a counter-clockwise direction except for the windmills in Ireland which turn clockwise.

According to Irish legend, Ireland's St. Brendan discovered America 1,000 years before Christopher Columbus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

biko wrote: »
    According to Irish legend, Ireland's St. Brendan discovered America 1,000 years before Christopher Columbus.

He feckin did too the eejit just forgot to bring something sharp to write Bren woz ere on a big rock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

biko wrote: »
    Windmills around the world always turn in a counter-clockwise direction except for the windmills in Ireland which turn clockwise.

that more or less sums the country up:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Fianna Fail can't be killed. Zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

prinz wrote: »

Thanks for the correction. I should've remembered that I was on holiday in Cork when I went on it. Christ it was surreal being up there and it swinging away in the wind. One of my oldest memories I think.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

In 2011, marijuana is still illegal.

Bizarre.

bizarre? :rolleyes:

hardly, considering it's illegal in many, many other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Did anyone ever hear about the mad woman who kept her son locked in a chicken house since he was a baby? He was feral when he was finally discovered. It was in Armagh I think, There was a film about it years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Captain Bligh, famous for the Bounty mutiny was responsible for building the North Bull Wall in Dublin Bay

Before this, Dublin Bay was treacherous for ships. Local pilots would meet the ships on the Irish sea and bring them in.

There were so many accidents that King Henry VIII issued a law that if you ran a boat aground, the punishment was your eyes would be put out :eek:

I can't see SIPTU standing for that nowadays

One for the table quiz ;)
    Got asked it once so know it now

The longest placename in Ireland is Muckanaghederdauhaulia in Co. Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

In the 1970's a coordinated strike by the Christian Brothers, Munster Council and the ICA removed many of the most skillful sportsmen from Irish culture. These men were relocated to a maximum security stockade from which they promptly escaped. Today they operate in the country's gaa grounds as the Tipperary team:D

fyp :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

One for the table quiz ;)
    Got asked it once so know it now

The longest placename in Ireland is Muckanaghederdauhaulia in Co. Galway
    Off topic I know but I used to work for the Family history Society in Galway west and found ancestors of an American who were from there, got a plaintive phone call from them when they got the report asking "But how do you pronounce it?" Half an hour later they were still going "Could you please repeat that?" I'm still not sure I had it right (which I told them) I pronounced it as per the Irish words of the name.

Pronouncing it as Irish is a good idea

Muiceanach idir Dhá Sháile

Tbh, it's easier to pronounce in Irish though not for the Americans.
    After all, some surveyor a few centuries ago took the Irish name and bastardized it into English.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

My Dad (RIP) worked delivering oil to various places around the country for most of his career. He often delivered to a farm in Cavan. The farmer always had a TV in the middle of a cow field, turned on! Somewhere along the line he got the idea that it made them produce more milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Pronouncing it as Irish is a good idea

Muiceanach idir Dhá Sháile

Tbh, it's easier to pronounce in Irish though not for the Americans.
    After all, some surveyor a few centuries ago took the Irish name and bastardized it into English.
    Yup that's what I said to them, even said what it means in Irish. Still had to stress that though I'm from Galway my grandfather and a lot of my teachers were from Donegal so it might not be the exact pronunciation as the locals would say it. By the end I think they were recording what I said.

On topic there is a Pyramid in Kinnitty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Heard this story from a Dubliner, apparently its well known up there??

Anyways, there was a woman who went on holiday to Amsterdam (may or may not be the actual place), and she met this guy in a bar and they started chatting, he bought her a few drinks nd one thing led to another and they started kissing. She was going to go back to his place but she had a flight to catch in the morning. So she went home by herself. Anyways, when she went back to Ireland a mould was growing on the inside of her cheek so she went to the doctor, he told her she would get the results in a few days. A few days after that the gaurds came calling to her house with to arrest her, assuming she was a nicrophiliac, because the mould could only be got from a dead person. So she told her story to the gaurds, they then rang the Dutch authorities and they tracked down yer man. When they went to his apartment to arrest him they apparently found 4 corpses in his appartment:eek:!!

Anyone else hear that story?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Bizzi Lizzy

There is also one near Dundalk

http://www.travellerstips.co.uk/articles/ireland/backwardsroad.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

NothingMan wrote: »
    Every 4th leap year in Leitrim they sacrafice one towns person to their god Alahamash in hopes for a fruitful 16 years of anonymity and questionable existence.

Ah now come on lads.
    His name is Alahamach, at least get it right ffs.
    It worked last time. They got their first set of traffic lights.

/fact

They're actually gone.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

the soure of the name for Co. Leitrim comes from the Irish words for heavy (trom) and the word for gray (liath) discribing the boring slow accent of the people from that area.

Towns in Cavan regularly win the Tidy Towns competition

Feckers are too stingy to throw litter away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I can complain about having no water on a high speed internet line... Ireland, you could say we're a little backwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I've seen in my home town (which will remain nameless) on a number of occasions a girl from an ethinic majority in Ireland walking a small horse, a pony if you wish through the town on a lead like it was a dog.
    Thing is it had a dog collar and a lead on it, not reins.
    Up over the bridge, through the main street not a bother on her.
    Seen it with my own eyes and in the last few months.
    Not 100 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

The old RIC Barracks in Caherciveen (I think) looks like an Indian palace because the wrong drawings were sent from London.

Advertisement