Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre Stories from around the Country

Options
  • 04-01-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi All,

I’m putting together a list of bizarre stories from around the country. So far, I have heard of the below two (true by all accounts). If anyone has any others of interest (or knows of a previous thread with similar information), feel free to share.

Thanks In Advance For All Responses.

In Co Clare there is/was a fully grown man still being breast fed by his mother. Apparently, he gets called into the house to be breast fed just like a child being called in for his tea.

In Co Roscommon in the early 20th century, a pregnant woman went into labour while picking potatoes. She walked to the side of the field, had the child delivered (either by herself or with the help of others) and then went back picking potatoes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Limerick City was founded in 1916 by non other than King Limerick when he famously defeated the British with the wrong end of a sword! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

In Co Clare there is/was a fully grown man still being breast fed by his mother. Apparently, he gets called into the house to be breast fed just like a child being called in for his tea.

I

AH response: I wouldn't count Marty Morrissey as a full grown man.

Real story: There's a cable car out to Dursey Island in Kerry for passengers cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Some of us have drinking water.

Fire, electricity and the wheel expected to arrive soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The exterior white stones of Newgrange is a Victorian addition and has no basis as per the original tomb

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a man in Cork who is both humble and modest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

There's a man in Cork who is both humble and modest.

He's from waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Hi All, I.

I'd double check the adult being breast fed. I've heard of children at aged 12 still getting some breast milk, but about this time the body changes and breast milk is no longer palatable [as I understand].

Women giving birth at the side of field and going back to work is very common. An Irish woman doing this today would be unthinkable, but that's because of the nature of our medical system and not a NECESSITY in fact.

Many foreign workers would still practice their old ways and not go to hospital at all, it would not be considered unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

In b4 "horse it into me boss"/ "but then who was phone" / "only get this infection from having sex with corpses" etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

(true by all accounts)

Aren't they all?

How about the South American puppy that turned out to be a very large sewer rat? True, by all accounts...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Would you by any chance have a source for this?
    Surely if it was actually happening, by now she would have thought to express it into a bottle or something. Could add it into his tae!
    ewwww

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

In Co Roscommon in the early 20th century, a pregnant woman went into labour while picking potatoes. She walked to the side of the field, had the child delivered (either by herself or with the help of others) and then went back picking potatoes.

Being from Co. Roscommon I can confirm that's not true....

It was 1985 and my Mammy was picking carrots :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Twin-go wrote: »
    Limerick City was founded in 1916 by non other than King Limerick when he famously defeated the British with the wrong end of a sword! :D

When he wasn't founding cities Limerick also enjoyed developing his 5-line style of poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Twin-go wrote: »

And now he dedicates his days to declaring war on supermacs
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/limerickblogger/limerickblogger-2/P9070020.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The seaside resort of Ballyshades was created by Sir Flynn Mills in 1743 when he wanted an outhouse on the beach.
    Other aristocrats followed suit and suddenly a small town had been erected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

biko wrote: »
    The seaside resort of Ballyshades was created by Sir Flynn Mills in 1743 when he wanted an outhouse on the beach.
    Other aristocrats followed suit and suddenly a small town had been erected.

Sounds eerily similar to Bray ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

During Victorian times, the Irish Naval Base was located in the seaside town of Ballybutton.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ireland was founded by the crab people in 1994

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

zuroph wrote: »
    In b4 "horse it into me boss"/ "but then who was phone" / "only get this infection from having sex with corpses" etc etc.

hahaha what is the middle 1 "but then who was phone"? I never heard that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

there is supposted to be some sort of magic road in sligo somewhere where if you leave your handbrake your car will roll up the hill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Michael Collins was a latent homosexual who fell out with Eamon DeValera because he didn't want to sleep top to toe in the safe house but preferred to cuddle...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

there is supposted to be some sort of magic road in sligo somewhere where if you leave your handbrake your car will roll up the hill

Coincidentally, the entire county of Sligo was convicted in 2006 after it was revealed that numerous tourist locations around Ireland were stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Theres a part in the Comeragh mountains in Waterford that gives this impression.
    Cant remember exactly how it gives the impression (something about the surrounding landscape I think) but it always freaked the fcuk outta me as a kid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Every 4th leap year in Leitrim they sacrafice one towns person to their god Alahamash in hopes for a fruitful 16 years of anonymity and questionable existence.

NothingMan wrote: »
    Every 4th leap year in Leitrim they sacrafice one towns person to their god Alahamash in hopes for a fruitful 16 years of anonymity and questionable existence.

It worked last time. They got their first set of traffic lights.

/fact

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

There actually is a place called Carlow.

In the 1970's a coordinated strike by the Christian Brothers, Munster Council and the ICA removed many of the most skillful sportsmen from Irish culture. These men were relocated to a maximum security stockade from which they promptly escaped. Today they operate in the country's gaa grounds as the KK team:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

in 1919 Limerick became a seperate state from ireland (the Limerick soviet) as they didnt want to be associated with britain, they had their own currency and were totally self sufficient.

dave 27 wrote: »
    in 1919 Limerick became a seperate state from ireland (the Limerick soviet) as they didnt want to be associated with britain, they had their own currency and were totally self sufficient.

]

The currency was of course heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

dave 27 wrote: »
    in 1919 Limerick became a seperate state from ireland ]

Fantastic. Something new for me! Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 MrMcLegend

Theres a part in the Comeragh mountains in Waterford that gives this impression.
    Cant remember exactly how it gives the impression (something about the surrounding landscape I think) but it always freaked the fcuk outta me as a kid :pac:

yeah i was at this last year, on the way to mahon falls i think its called! good craic, is it not somethin to do with the magic gypsy tree?? :p

Advertisement