Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age of Consent?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

if both parties are under the age of 17 / 18 perhaps 15?

Otherwise i would say that the age of concent should be 18

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I disagree with all age-based laws. Age has little to do with maturity in many cases. Age also doesn't guarantee knowledge about STI's & pregnancy etc.

I was sexually active from a relatively young age, but I was quite mature and knowledgeable. I was not at any risk, and I don't feel I was harmed in any way.
    On the other hand, I've known some 17-19 year olds who were far too emotionally immature for sex, didn't consider STI's/pregnancy & either caused suffering or suffered themselves (unwanted kids, HIV & Hepatitis).

Funny...you need significant testing to be allowed to drive a car, but only need to reach a certain age before being legally allowed to have a child.

In the abstract, the above makes a lot of sense. But how do you suggest your ideas be implemented in practice?

A prospective sexual maturity test?
    Who does the testing?
    If you dont pass, is it a criminal offence to have sex at any age?
    Is it licensed-based?
    Is one party criminalised if they fail to ensure the other party had a licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ilovesleep wrote: »
    13 in spain and kids are sexually actively. My god they are very brave. I was terrified of a penis at 21.

Kids are sexually active all over the world at 13 and even earlier in some cases. It's one of the most natural things in the world.

Having said that, it's not for everyone & some leave it a lot later... it just depends on the person.

For that reason, I feel that legislating for a blanket cut off age in which people can decide for themselves whether or not they wish to have sex, is unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Kids are sexually active all over the world at 13 and even earlier in some cases. It's one of the most natural things in the world.

Having said that, it's not for everyone & some leave it a lot later... it just depends on the person.

i would suggest its more depending on the culture

A 13 year old in a tribe in New Guinea tends to grow up alot faster than those in western cultures, out of necessity rather than desire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

snyper wrote: »
    i would suggest its more depending on the culture

A 13 year old in a tribe in New Guinea tends to grow up alot faster than those in western cultures, out of necessity rather than desire

It depends what you mean by grown up. Just because a kid is taught to hunt & "be a man" at an early age, doesn't necessarily make him any more mature than someone living in a "sheltered" existence in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

LOL 16 year olds are NOT sexy. The usually have acne, backne ar both are really greasy, wear the same hoodie for a month and think lynx makes them smell hawt:rolleyes:, frankly I don't think they deserve the pleasure of legal sex.

RAISE THE AGE TO 21!!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Id say Ideally kinds should have finished school before they get into all this, but course their not going to listen. I think 17 is fine, with exceptions for ages close together. I mean, when your young 16 seems mature enough, but when you get older you realise how it not.

tbh, most teens still think its 16 anyway, a lot of girls do from reading british magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I disagree with all age-based laws. Age has little to do with maturity in many cases. Age also doesn't guarantee knowledge about STI's & pregnancy etc.

I was sexually active from a relatively young age, but I was quite mature and knowledgeable. I was not at any risk, and I don't feel I was harmed in any way.
    On the other hand, I've known some 17-19 year olds who were far too emotionally immature for sex, didn't consider STI's/pregnancy & either caused suffering or suffered themselves (unwanted kids, HIV & Hepatitis).

Funny...you need significant testing to be allowed to drive a car, but only need to reach a certain age before being legally allowed to have a child.
    drkpower wrote: »
    In the abstract, the above makes a lot of sense. But how do you suggest your ideas be implemented in practice?

A prospective sexual maturity test?
    Who does the testing?
    If you dont pass, is it a criminal offence to have sex at any age?
    Is it licensed-based?
    Is one party criminalised if they fail to ensure the other party had a licence?

Well there's no easy answer to that.
    I guess there is education & a test to cover the practical areas (pregnancy, STI's, Safe Sex etc). And the education needs to start much earlier than done currently.

But for the emotional/maturity side of things, it is much harder. Education & regular school/parental discussion regarding relationships, responsibility & peer pressure would certainly help.

I guess the best we can do is educate and make sure the children/teens/adults know what they need to know, and only become sexually active when they really feel ready for it. The real damage comes when people (of any age) are forced, coerced, or are emotionally unprepared for sex.

TBH, I don't have the answers really, as this is an extremely complex subject and I don't have all the facts/experience needed to give an informed opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Under Sharia Law, the age of consent is deemed to be post puberty. Marriage is deemed to be legal after 9 years of age.

I'm not going to get into a debate on religious texts. Whether some hokey religion has a clearly defined age of consent or not is fairly irrelevant. Most people don't know know what their own religious books say anyway.

http://pewforum.org/Other-Beliefs-and-Practices/U-S-Religious-Knowledge-Survey.aspx

I don't have to bother going into too much detail on this, it's clear different people interpret their religion in different ways.
    So, in many Muslim countries, the age of consent would be what we consider low, not high.

and yet in reality it's not. The majority of the countries with high age of consent + must be married combo are Muslim.
    The other comment you made about people who selected 18 also selecting "must be married" is a non-sequitur. People are voting on what they consider to be a reasonable age to begin sexual contact, not on adapting that country's entire social fabric.

I suppose you could have a revolution or maybe you adjust a liberal society to a more conservative society one small step at a time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

and yet in reality it's not. The majority of the countries with high age of consent + must be married combo are Muslim.

The majority of those Muslim countries with "must be married" have low, very low ages of consent. Islam allows marriage after 9, ergo the legal age of consent in these countries is 9. Honour killings are therefore NOT linked to higher ages of consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I think it's find the way it is now. I think it being 17 does make (most) people wait longer. And the people that don't wait are the ones who've been doing it since they were even younger anyways.

Utter rubbish.
    Several replies in and is no-one else shocked at just how young the age of consent is in Spain? That's horrific really.

Why? What's the problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Whatever about the age, I think more and better sex ed should be more of a concern...

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Lumen wrote: »
    The age of consent in the Vatican is the same as in Italy. That's what the law says, it's not coincidence. The site you posted said the age of consent in the Vatican was 12, therefore it is wrong. :)

The age of consent in the Vatican really is 12 years old.It doesn't really matter though because most of the population there are celibate priests and hardly any children live there at all.

Other facts :

Angola and parts of Mexico also have 12 as their age of consent.
    North Korea has no age of consent at all.
    Tunisia has the highest age of consent anywhere at 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The majority of those Muslim countries with "must be married" have low, very low ages of consent. Islam allows marriage after 9, ergo the legal age of consent in these countries is 9. Honour killings are therefore NOT linked to higher ages of consent.

I actually said high age of consent + must be married combo. Not sure how you're drawing your conclusions.

http://www.lawyerment.com/library/kb/Families/Marriage/1016.htm

Just taking Malaysia you have to be 18 to marry with parental consent or 21 and over without parental consent.

Iran is not the worst, but it's still 18 for men and 16 for women.

http://www.payvand.com/news/10/apr/1174.html

Even a backwater like Somalia has it at 18 for both men and women.

http://www.law.emory.edu/ifl/legal/Somalia.htm

Advertisement