Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you like football (soccer)?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

bonerm wrote: »
    Also once in a while someone like this comes along.

Zidane.

So talented, he can even make Coldplay listenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭annieire

Generally i don't like soccer and don't watch it unless there are players playing that i like or the World Cup is on...i know they are dreadful reasons!
    For the record, the last match i watched was an England one during the World Cup...Lampard was playing:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

1-0 :p

I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Superbus wrote: »
    But that's exactly the problem. Pure ignorance from a sizable proportion of the fanbase.

Football does have a problem with homophobic fans but that really is a problem for society in general. It is still rare in many to see many people come out when they work in the public. Football authorities need to do something akin to the Kick Racism Out Of Football movement, but it needs a societal change to be eradicated.

As for why I like football, because it is the sport I find the most exciting, interesting and emotional. A great football team is like a living work of art. Watching Barcelona over the past few years is enough proof for me as to why football is the most popular game in the world. Plus it is a great way to spend time with friends and have a laugh, whether you are kicking a ball around or just talking about it. The great thing about football is that there is always another game, another season, another hope.

I don't get why some people feel the need to píss all over somebody else's interests. I don't like plenty of things, but I don't feel the need to attack them for liking something I don't. Liking football is a way of joining the biggest community on earth, so that is a pretty big benefit too. It is an easy way of breaking the ice with new people in a job, social setting etc. I get why that might annoy some people since they don't have that easy option. But it is not as if there are not a billion other conversation possibilities. I hardly shun people if they don't want to talk about football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

annieire wrote: »
    Generally i don't like soccer and don't watch it unless there are players playing that i like or the World Cup is on...i know they are dreadful reasons!
    For the record, the last match i watched was an England one during the World Cup...Lampard was playing:o

To be fair, that would be enough to put anyone off the game...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Quiet you wrote: »
    Don't shoot the messenger now. I have no feelings either way about anything said in the above article. I just thought it might be informative and relevant to this discussion.:)

The article cites the opinions of the sport in the USA (where the sport has a relatively tiny following) and makes some homophobic generalisations. How is it in anyway informative or relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

bonerm wrote: »
    Also once in a while someone like this comes along.
    There's a lot of footage in there of Zidane losing the ball, giving poor crosses not winning tackles and hitting the ball wide.
    Is it an RTÉ tribute to him or something.
    Ever notice when RTÉ make make one of these videos for a player to celebrate how good they were they seem to show just random footage.

To be fair, that would be enough to put anyone off the game...

He wouldn't put me off the game...Rooney would though!!

annieire wrote: »
    He wouldn't put me off the game...Rooney would though!!

I was on about watching England

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

IMO, It's a pretty boring sport to be honest. Overpriced hairdressers kicking a ball around for 90 minutes. And the way some people go on for their team, it's like they fcuking cured cancer if they won! Are you trying to fit in "with the lads" ? :)

Mrfantastico sums it up finely below.
    i go to support my local team,meet up with mates and there is nothing better than watching a game live in the stands were the players can actually hear you,

i havent a clue how barstoolers do it imaging shouting at someone on a t.v screen or slagging a person from dublin calling them a scouse twat or a manc wanker

*CRINGE* :o:o:o

• Advertisement

Oh right, yeah. England were hardly inspiring!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

International Football in general imo

OPENROAD wrote: »
    International Football in general imo

Would find it difficult to disagree with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Mrfantastico sums it up finely below.

Well he just brought some of that barstooler wankology into the discussion. Yes going to the matches is a key part of loving football, but a love of football does not mean that you cannot watch and enjoy a game on TV. I don't live in Spain, Italy, Germany etc but I can still watch games from there and enjoy them. It is not all about being able to shout at somebody.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

And the idiots from Ireland who give out about Irish people supporting English clubs actually pisses me off... they should take their stupid sense of patriotism & nationalism and stick it up their retarded arses.

You will find that the people who voice those opinions are either fanatic LOI supporters and for me that really puts me off supporting such a league with fans like that, snobbery I think you could call it? Not the main reason I dont support the LOI tho.

Anyway, threads like this are retared.

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE. get. the. fcuk. over. it.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    You will find that the people who voice those opinions are either fanatic LOI supporters and for me that really puts me off supporting such a league with fans like that, snobbery I think you could call it? Not the main reason I dont support the LOI tho.

Anyway, threads like this are retared.

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE. get. the. fcuk. over. it.

OhNoYouDidn't just say that

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Soccer forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement