Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

siberian huskies

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

PeakOutput wrote: »
    all the friendliest / happiest / best behaved / coolest dogs iv seen have had owners that do both reward and punish

My dog is trained to give up food on request, she isn't a husky but she is an equally willful and stubborn breed and is also only a 7 month old pup. She has a very dodgy tummy and it isn't easy keeping everything out of her way with 4 young kids around but being vigilate about making sure food is out of her reach is the most effective 'method'. She will even spit out crumbs she has hoovered up into my 4 year old nieces hand as she knows she will be given a suitable treat in exchange. Training in advance for the situation is the only way to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭flahers

I own two Samoyeds, absolutely stunning dogs with beautiful temperment and adore children. Think they are probably a more placid dog than the husky but likewise we walk three miles a day with them and they crave attention, grooming costs a fortune they have a double coat and they have a huge appetite so a very costly dog to maintain but would not be without for the world. Remember that these adorable pups will grow into big strong dogs and you have to ask yourself if you will be able to maintain them as they grow older as they can develop hip and joint problems as well. Neither of my dog bark very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

flahers wrote: »
    I own two Samoyeds, absolutely stunning dogs with beautiful temperment and adore children. Think they are probably a more placid dog than the husky but likewise we walk three miles a day with them and they crave attention, grooming costs a fortune they have a double coat and they have a huge appetite so a very costly dog to maintain but would not be without for the world. Remember that these adorable pups will grow into big strong dogs and you have to ask yourself if you will be able to maintain them as they grow older as they can develop hip and joint problems as well. Neither of my dog bark very much.

You are very luck yours do not bark much, I would have loved to get a Samoyed, but the one I got from a rescue was a brilliant dog with one major issue, She would not stop barking. Every morning from the moment she woke it was 'bark,bark,bark' for seemingly no reason, she woke up the same time as I did so i was like 6:40 and I had Lodgers living in my home at the time, I later found out it is a breed trait. I contacted the Rescue and we found a home for her with a large male Samoyed.

Everything else was a dream come true, they are great people dogs and love everyone, not so great with other dogs in my experience.

i wasnt trying to attack you or anything i was honestly asking how you punish a husky

I dont feel justified to have to answer you. Obviously you have created a story in your own head from what i have written with out knowing other then what i wrote. So i no longer want to talk to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I dont feel justified to have to answer you. Obviously you have created a story in your own head from what i have written with out knowing other then what i wrote. So i no longer want to talk to you.

dude reread what i wrote, you took my question completely wrong. my sister has a husky, sometimes it does stuff like you described we cant think of a way to discourage the behaviour and i dont think ignoring it is enough i was honestly asking for advice

of course you dont have to answer me you dont have to do anything you dont want to do but dont be so quick to jump on the defensive :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

dude reread what i wrote, you took my question completely wrong. my sister has a husky, sometimes it does stuff like you described we cant think of a way to discourage the behaviour and i dont think ignoring it is enough i was honestly asking for advice

of course you dont have to answer me you dont have to do anything you dont want to do but dont be so quick to jump on the defensive :rolleyes:

Counter surfing is a husky trait, if you leave something within reach, its your fault, so I don't think you can punish the dog. As you say, it got the reward, the food, so hitting it isn't going to achieve anything, if the behaviour first of all got the reward, the dog won't associate the hitting with the eating of the chicken.

You can train a dog to eat out of its own bowl, and nothing else, therefore it shouldn't counter surf. Thats the theory, I could leave a plate full of food down on the floor with some of my dogs, and I know they wouldn't touch it if I told them not to, but not with all of the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

ISDW wrote: »
    Counter surfing is a husky trait, if you leave something within reach, its your fault, so I don't think you can punish the dog. As you say, it got the reward, the food, so hitting it isn't going to achieve anything, if the behaviour first of all got the reward, the dog won't associate the hitting with the eating of the chicken.

You can train a dog to eat out of its own bowl, and nothing else, therefore it shouldn't counter surf. Thats the theory, I could leave a plate full of food down on the floor with some of my dogs, and I know they wouldn't touch it if I told them not to, but not with all of the dogs.

I think counter surfing is common with any breed of dog that can reach the counter :p
    I am very much of the same school of thought as regards rewarding good behaviour. It is quite rare that you would actually catch a dog doing something bold unless you watch him/her 24/7 and dogs are not going to equate a smack on the nose or whatever punishment you choose with something they may have done hours ago.

My dog only gets fed from his own bowl. When i bring his bowl out he sits and waits and doesn't touch his food until I tell him to. I leave plates of food, bowls of cereal on the floor (a habit i got into when renting and didn't actually have a table :rolleyes: ) and my dog won't touch them, he might sniff in their general direction but he knows it's not for him because it's not in his bowl.

I think counter surfing is common with any breed of dog that can reach the counter :p
    I am very much of the same school of thought as regards rewarding good behaviour. It is quite rare that you would actually catch a dog doing something bold unless you watch him/her 24/7 and dogs are not going to equate a smack on the nose or whatever punishment you choose with something they may have done hours ago.

My dog only gets fed from his own bowl. When i bring his bowl out he sits and waits and doesn't touch his food until I tell him to. I leave plates of food, bowls of cereal on the floor (a habit i got into when renting and didn't actually have a table :rolleyes: ) and my dog won't touch them, he might sniff in their general direction but he knows it's not for him because it's not in his bowl.

Very true.

I've had huskies here that will climb up onto the counters and walk along them - was a bit of a shock the first time I found dog size paw prints on the cooker and counter tops. A couple also loved to climb up onto the kitchen table, one girl liked to sleep on it:rolleyes: This is why our fruit bowl is now on the window ledge by the front door, and not in the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Very true.

I've had huskies here that will climb up onto the counters and walk along them - was a bit of a shock the first time I found dog size paw prints on the cooker and counter tops. A couple also loved to climb up onto the kitchen table, one girl liked to sleep on it:rolleyes: This is why our fruit bowl is now on the window ledge by the front door, and not in the kitchen.

I know what you mean, I used to keep my fruit bowl in my wardrobe! Can leave things anywhere now thankfully. I remember the first time I came home to great dane puppy destruction of my kitchen, it never felt right after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have a counter surfing JRT that I could cheerfully kill sometimes. I use positive reward training but the food stealing really does sometimes reduce me to my base level and want to KILL!!! He knows he's not allowed to take food off the floor/table/plates so only does it when we're not around, therefore you never catch him in the act, so him getting the food is its own reward. It can be as quick as me seeing someone to the door and half my sandwich is gone. Sneaky counter surfing is one of the hardest problems to cure and most dog trainers will tell you that, because positive reinforcement doesn't work, ignoring the behaviour makes no difference because the dog is already getting his reward in the form of food and you're never around to correct them in the act. So our plan is for hubby to bring home his work laptop with webcam, set it up in the kitchen with a skype call to our own laptop and got upstairs. Watch for when Little Dude gets up on the table and then we'll be able to give him a sharp 'no' through the laptop!! What I'm hoping is that he won't connect our voice to the laptop so will think we can see through walls and it won't be worth counter surfing cos he'll get caught anyway :D
    I'll let you know how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I love this idea!!! My springer is a terrible food thief and this may just work with him, let us know how you get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The following has worked & is not punishment in the sense that you do nothing. Get a load of empty drink cans made of light aluminium - justification to drink. Leave something tempting on the worktop & make a big pile of empty cans, like a wall in front of it. Retire to another part of the house & wait.

I know someone who got fed up with the dog sneaking onto the sofa. They got a cheap pressure pad & linked it to the stereo. When the dog climbed on the sofa the owner's voice boomed out telling it to get off. The webcam footage was hilarious & it worked first time.

In case anyone considers these examples as punishment bear in mind that no physical harm was caused & the "punishment" occurred as the wrong deed was being committed so that the dog could associate the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I've seen Victoria Stillwell (It's Me Or The Dog) do this with the webcam and I always thought it was a brilliant idea, don't think the dog will know you are watching it via webcam, unless it's an IT expert dog!!

I actually have a dog that doesn't counter surf and isn't a food thief at all AND he's a rescue so I can't even take any credit for having trained him not to do it!! The cat is a different story however, cat paw prints every bloody morning on the worktops :rolleyes:

random question that just popped into my head

how do these cold weather dogs do in warmer climates? like say new england during the summer (90/95F regularly) or even hotter california/florida (100F)

i live in ireland so just curious

random question that just popped into my head

how do these cold weather dogs do in warmer climates? like say new england during the summer (90/95F regularly) or even hotter california/florida (100F)

i live in ireland so just curious

Funnily enough, the coat that keeps them warm in the winter also helps to keep them cool in the summer. The double coat allows air in to cool them down, but they shouldn't be over exercised in the summer. I generally just let my lot potter about in the summer, we have done a few hikes and they can struggle if its too warm, so I try to stick to woodland.

There are huskies living in the middle east:eek: They would never be worked, far too hot, but they survive there.

Funnily enough, the coat that keeps them warm in the winter also helps to keep them cool in the summer. The double coat allows air in to cool them down, but they shouldn't be over exercised in the summer. I generally just let my lot potter about in the summer, we have done a few hikes and they can struggle if its too warm, so I try to stick to woodland.

There are huskies living in the middle east:eek: They would never be worked, far too hot, but they survive there.

thanks, i am emigrating as soon as i graduate and had my eyes on an allapaha / bulldog mix but now that iv hung out with my sisters dog im thinking husky as well but thought it might be cruel keeping them in maine in the summer but thats good to know

thanks, i am emigrating as soon as i graduate and had my eyes on an allapaha / bulldog mix but now that iv hung out with my sisters dog im thinking husky as well but thought it might be cruel keeping them in maine in the summer but thats good to know

Oh Maine would be fantastic for them, great winters, I want to see pics once you get moved and set up, bet you get a few and work them:D

Oh Maine would be fantastic for them, great winters, I want to see pics once you get moved and set up, bet you get a few and work them:D

ye the annoying thing about that though is that my work would probably force me to travel south for the winter and back north for the summer but if id idnt want to work for a winter thats where id be alright, moving there is only a few months a way but getting a dog there is probably a far bit away when im well settled

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Did anyone watch Bruce Parry in Greenland this evening. The coats on those dogs were amazing. They were Greenland Dogs - looked like an even bigger Husky

greenland_dogs_11.jpg

Discodog wrote: »
    Did anyone watch Bruce Parry in Greenland this evening. The coats on those dogs were amazing. They were Greenland Dogs - looked like an even bigger Husky

greenland_dogs_11.jpg

I've skyplussed it, to watch later today when I can relax and enjoy it.

I had the pleasure of meeting a couple of Greenland dogs in the UK a few weeks ago, lovely dogs, and brilliant workers, we did a trek, they did 22 miles the first day and 8 miles the second, no bother to them at all. They beat all the siberians home:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

leelaaloo wrote: »
    sounds like would be a good dog if you wanted to get fit.which me and my husband do.he's a strong character and well used to training strong dogs but as you say will take my time and make a v informed decision.thanks..
    Sibes are fantastic dogs, and they should be great with kids. The Chuckchi people used to work the dogs during the day, pulling the sleds, then they would sleep with the children of the tribe at night to keep them warm, so any that were aggressive were culled. Unfortunately, with the over-breeding of them that has happened here in the last few years, there is some aggression in some lines. So if you do want to get one, make sure you go to a reputable breeder, the All Ireland Siberian Husky Club should be able to help you.

You need a secure garden, with fencing at least 6 foot high, and that also goes down into the ground, as if they can't go over it, they will go under it. 6 foot may not be enough, sometimes they will climb like cats, so need jackal fencing, the sort that overhangs backwards. yes, they obviously need exercising, but this always has to be on lead as they have such a high prey drive, and stubborn streak that they can take off and not come back - they know you have no chance of catching them.

They are not a loyal breed, they can be quite aloof, I always think they are the most cat-like dog there is, which is very ironic considering they will usually kill cats, even ones they have lived with for years unfortunately. Never, ever leave a sibe alone with a small furry animal, and I have heard horror stories of them killing a cat they've grown up with, whilst the owner has been in the room, but unable to get there in time:( They would be set free during the summer to look after themselves, so this prey drive is hard wired into them.

They are trainable, otherwise they couldn't work as sled dogs, however, it is this work that means they have an independence as well. A good lead dog in Alaska/Siberia, or similar place, would need to be able to change the direction of the team if they felt a shift in the ice under their paws, or noticed something ahead. The dog needs to have the confidence and independence to do this even if the musher is telling it to go on straight, good mushers trust their dogs. A sibe will do what you tell it until it doesn't want to anymore:D

I would recommend them as long as you are willing to put the time in and exercise the dog properly. As much as they love their exercise, they also love their sofa time, in my experience they have two speeds, flat out running, or flat out sleeping, no in between. They can be destructive, and don't bark, but can howl, however I love that sound, and love the chats you can have with them.

There are different lines available, most of the breeders in Ireland are selling pet huskies, rather than out and out working lines. There is a couple in Northern Ireland who have imported some sibes from the U.S., including some dogs that have run the Iditarod, and have that kind of heritage. Those dogs definitely need a working home, but you will be able to find a responsible breeder with lovely sibes that are capable of working, but would also be a good family pet.

Best of luck:D

Such a good description, love the part in bold, so true!!

I would be very careful about choosing a husky for a family. Theres a high chance that front doors can be left open and the dog can slip out, also with a family of kids i'd say there's very little spare time to dedicate to exercise, and they need a lot of it.

I know you say your hubby wants to get fit, but how many of us say that and then end up watching telly on the couch? you would want to be very sure that your hubby is willing to dedicate 1-2 hours to the dog every day for up to 16 years?

OP maybe if you listed the reasons why a husky interests you we could suggest another breed? Or maybe a husky really would suit your family - a dog walker / doggie daycare is always an option to provide exercise if you dont have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I was gonna get one but a friend who owns one says they arent great in Urban areas really as they need a GOOD AMOUNT of space to be trained and run off energy in.
    Their loyalty can be tested when they get distracted by things..

But ye , i hav an Alaskan Malamute now , they are bigger yes, but easier to train and alot calmer .

I hav let him off the lead in the park since he was a pup.
    He was 1 at Halloween and i still can let him off. He doesnt fight bark at other dogs at all!, but he LOVES to go and see if they want to play.
    Hes great around other people and even kids .
    He only barks in the house when he hears one of us coming in . Or say something like " walkies" to him haha
    I whistle when he goes too far and he comes back no problem.

Heres a recent pic of him :)

Oh ye... he howls at sirens goin by! ha 142734.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Guys what kinda of space would a husky require.. Moving into a house with my GF soonish and just going through the different breeds.. Husky obv coming first(lived in canada for a bit and they were everywhere!!)

So just want to get my reasons for not being able to have one fairly clear..

its a 3 bedroom house with a smallish backgarden but with a large enough garage as part of the back garden.. Park right next door so a trip there every evening is no problem..

What kind of time frame can you leave these breeds alone? Say it was left in the back garden/garage during the day?

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Guys what kinda of space would a husky require.. Moving into a house with my GF soonish and just going through the different breeds.. Husky obv coming first(lived in canada for a bit and they were everywhere!!)

So just want to get my reasons for not being able to have one fairly clear..

its a 3 bedroom house with a smallish backgarden but with a large enough garage as part of the back garden.. Park right next door so a trip there every evening is no problem..

What kind of time frame can you leave these breeds alone? Say it was left in the back garden/garage during the day?

Cheers,

The size of the garden doesnt HAVE to be big. Once its secured well ( high enough fence that is) .

The more walks they go on they calmer they ll be once at home.
    They can dig all day and wreck a garden if they hav too much enegy in them ( good thing to think what food ur gonna get )
    A garage would be grand for them , but they'll most likely howl when left alone for too long.

Dont want to put u off gettin one, theres loads of positive's about them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I would never get a Sibe if I'd have only one dog, personally, unless you were home all day.
    They hate being alone, will cry and howl and destroy things.

Advertisement