Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

siberian huskies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

This popped up on another forum recently:

If you have ever uttered to yourself, “please dear Lord, let that pass through ‘em without the need for surgical attention.” …You probably own a Husky.

If valuable objects in your home are ranked according to jumping height from the ground …You probably own a Husky.

If you’ve thought, at least once in the past month, that you should be nominated for Sainthood…You probably own a Husky.

If you’ve been on walks with your dog and thought, “Oh, I hope nobody just witnessed THAT!” …You probably own a Husky.

If your dog thinks or thought at any time in life, that its full name may be part of a curse word…You probably own a Husky.

If you have more fur in your home than your dog has on it, giving the appearance to outsiders that you reside inside of a cotton ball…You probably own a Husky.

If you have started a veterinary fund for “just in case” moments…You probably own a Husky.

If you have a ‘correct dog placement process’ before answering your front door…You probably own a Husky.

If your backyard looks like fencing seen at Alcatraz…You probably own Husky.

If the family cat or other small animals in the home look at your dog as if they know they could be bumped off at any time…You probably own a Husky.

If you’ve ever responded to your spouse or other family members in the home with, “Don’t tell me, I don’t even want to know about it!” You probably own a Husky.

If one or more pieces of fur make it daily into a dish or beverage that you continue to consider perfectly consumable. However, you would freak out if you found a human hair…You probably own a Husky.

If you have ever lost out on a meal because you weren’t paying attention, or blinked…You probably own a Husky.

If you have ever thought to yourself ‘why would anyone do this twice’ and then do it again…willingly…You probably own a Husky.

If you purchase black clothing, full well knowing you will wear it gray…You probably own a Husky.

If you have ever been in the process of cleaning up the first disaster when your dog is working on a second…You probably own a Husky.

If you have now purchased stock in a sticky roller company…You probably own a Husky.

If you have advised anyone as to which vacuum is the “best on the market”…You probably own a Husky.

If you have ever gotten a call by the veterinarian that it is not only okay to pick up your dog early from its procedure, but it is now being encouraged…You probably own a Husky.

If you have ever had to chase your dog through your neighborhood, barefoot, because putting on shoes would’ve taken far too long…You probably own a Husky.

If your yearly Christmas tree is now decorated at the top only, and/or has been securely anchored to a wall…You probably own a Husky.

If you can’t even remember what your good holiday decorations look like, because you no longer display them…You probably own a Husky.

If you’ve ever had to explain to your children/step children that ‘no they haven’t been bad, you just can’t put any presents under the tree until they are ready to be opened’…You probably own a Husky.

If you have ever laughed manically at an obedience trainer’s ad that boasts they “can change any behavior within the first visit”…You probably own a Husky.

If your dog’s toy bin resembles a scene from the beaches of Normandy rather than anything from a PetSmart shelf…You probably own a Husky.

If Goodwill has declined to take items of yours….You probably own a Husky.

If you can carry on a conversation with your dog better than you could with most people you’ve met…You probably own a Husky.

If your dog and your family are of equal worth and importance to you…You probably own a Husky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

PeakOutput wrote: »
    have definitely noticed that, we have a 7 month old female right now and i let her off in a big park when we are out. she only runs about 50 feet then waits or runs in a 50ft circle dosnt respond to come commands until she wants to but its usually only a few minutes, but if there is another dog around and that dogs owner is calling it she is gonnnnne. walking in the opposite direction seems to work and she will follow me back but thats not really good enough need to be able to trust her to just stop dead when i say. good with random children and people without dogs though dosnt go running up to them if i tell her to stop and behaves well if the kids come up to her.

my sister has had her through weeks of puppy training and she knows the commands like sit, paw, lie down, stay but only really does them when it suits her (ie when there is food in your hand)

nippy, yes but its only when one of us is playing rough with her and there is never really a bite down its just mouth over our hands but id still love it to stop

isdw, any advice on getting her properly trained, besides more classes which im sure she will do even though they are ridicolously expensive, its my sisters first dog as an 'adult' and what she sees as being strict to her cute husky and what is actually being strict are two completely different things i fear.

You will find with most sibes that are good off lead until they hit about 10 months of age, thats when they realise they can outrun you:p

You sound as though you and your sister have been doing the right things with training, I firmly believe that you need to train recall to sibes, even though you won't let them off the lead. Accidents can happen, yesterday on a beach, two of my dogs got tangled up, and somehow the clip opened on one of the leads, letting one of the dogs free. Thankfully he didn't realise, and he lay down and I got his lead back on.

There is a woman in Ireland that does obedience and agility with a siberian, which is fantastic, and I really admire her, but that is the exception. Treat based training is the way to go, you just have to find something that the dog really, really, really loves. Liver is one thing, or little bits of cheese, or hot dog.

A backpack is also a good thing, once the dog is a bit older, makes them work when they're walking. And if you want to teach the dog left and right, you may hitch it up to a scooter or bike then when its over a year old. Gee for right, Haw for left are the usual mushing commands. Just when you're walking, every time you turn, say the word, the dog will learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Another Sibe owner here, my lad is two this month and I have to say they are a fantastic breed. As mentioned they need alot of exercise and training, but that has build my bond with him over the two years so much I wouldn't have done it any other way. I have had so much craic with him, he has so much personality, has made me laugh more than anyone has before. There is not one ounce of aggression in him, nor is he very skittish around other people. He is great with children, all my nieces and nephews love him and he loves to play with them. I wouldn't change him for the world, I also have a German shep and they get along likea house on fire.

However, remember that they are not all like this. Overbreeding has in some dogs caused a spike in their aggression and I have seen this aswell, so if buying do reserach and find a good breeder. Also be ready to give them the time and effort they need to become a good dog. As puppys and through all their life really they require a firm owner who will lay the law down when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I don't have a husky but have owned several malamutes. As another poster said mals are similar to huskies, except huskies are built for speed and mals for strength.

They are a great breed of dog and honestly i wouldn't have anything else. However they are a lot of work. Obedience training from day 1 is an absoute must. I also found using a 'halti' rather than the traditional leads makes them much easier to walk. I can't believe the number of people i see walking mals and huskies with shoulder harnesses. These dogs were breed to pull and put a shoulder harness on them and that is exactly what they are going to do!

The girl we had while i was growing up was fantastic with small kids. I remember my 4 yr old cousin poking and pulling her tale and she didn't even blink. However the one i had before i koved to ireland i wouldn't trust with children under 13. She just didn't have the experience with small people and got so so excited when she saw them that she would have knocked them over if she was off a lead. However i think if raised from a pup with children then they are ok.

Also as mentioned they should never be off a lead as their prey drive is just so strong. I used to let my girl off the leash at an isolated beach until she took off one day, dissappeared up the stairs and into the bush. I finally found her terrorising an echidna! Not even the spikes in her mouth was enough to deter her! So if you want a dog that will happily trot alongside you off the leash then a husky is not for you. Also many of them have no road sense whatsoever which is another reason they souldn't be off the leash. Also if you are in a country area they are likey to chase cows and sheep.

Don't underestimate the amount of grooming they need when they 'blow' their coat. You will literally be pulling out handfulls of soft fur. It gets everywhere and they do this twice a year. If you were into spinning wool though i reckon you could get gorgeous soft wool from them to make a hat & gloves each year!

They are a pack dog and will try to assert their domiance from day 1. You need to make sure you are the pack leader instead otherwise it will be a nightmare! Things like always making sure they sit before getting food, never letting them walk in through a door before you etc will help assert you as the pack leader.

With all that said i still wouldn't have anything else! You just need to be aware that they have different requirements to other dogs and if you a want a dog you can let off a lead and throw a tennis ball at for it to retreive then a husky (or mal) isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ISDW wrote: »
    You will find with most sibes that are good off lead until they hit about 10 months of age, thats when they realise they can outrun you:p

You sound as though you and your sister have been doing the right things with training, I firmly believe that you need to train recall to sibes, even though you won't let them off the lead. Accidents can happen, yesterday on a beach, two of my dogs got tangled up, and somehow the clip opened on one of the leads, letting one of the dogs free. Thankfully he didn't realise, and he lay down and I got his lead back on.

There is a woman in Ireland that does obedience and agility with a siberian, which is fantastic, and I really admire her, but that is the exception. Treat based training is the way to go, you just have to find something that the dog really, really, really loves. Liver is one thing, or little bits of cheese, or hot dog.

A backpack is also a good thing, once the dog is a bit older, makes them work when they're walking. And if you want to teach the dog left and right, you may hitch it up to a scooter or bike then when its over a year old. Gee for right, Haw for left are the usual mushing commands. Just when you're walking, every time you turn, say the word, the dog will learn.

thanks, i thought it would be cruel to not let them off the lead in the long run so thought it would be best to start doing it now but it looks like that just wont work out, there was one time last week were she took off after a flock of birds and bolted straight across a road in the park and all i could think of was my sister is going to kill me

im only home once or twice a month so its not our dog by any stretch but i guess ill get to have all the craic and not much heart ache.

also mentioned that a harness you can put weights in would be a good idea but they think that sounds cruel but ill bring it up again

• Advertisement

thanks, i thought it would be cruel to not let them off the lead in the long run so thought it would be best to start doing it now but it looks like that just wont work out, there was one time last week were she took off after a flock of birds and bolted straight across a road in the park and all i could think of was my sister is going to kill me

im only home once or twice a month so its not our dog by any stretch but i guess ill get to have all the craic and not much heart ache.

also mentioned that a harness you can put weights in would be a good idea but they think that sounds cruel but ill bring it up again

Where do they live? If they came along to a Tails 'n' Trails meet, they would see the dogs working with big happy faces, definitely not cruel. A tired husky (or any dog) is a happy husky I think.

It is such a shame about not being able to let them off lead, I love watching them run, but unfortunately it is just part of owning this special breed. I work mine on a 3 wheeled rig or 2 wheeled scooter and so I get to see them run, from behind, usually hanging on for dear life.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

check out this link from the alaskan malamute club of victoria about backpacking with you dog. The website also has lots of great info to read and think about if you are considering one (or a husky as all the info still applies)

http://www.amcv.org.au/backpacking.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 leelaaloo

oh what a gorgeous puppy his head looks like a teddy bear.your other dog seems to love him..

mel.b wrote: »
    I don't have a husky but have owned several malamutes. As another poster said mals are similar to huskies, except huskies are built for speed and mals for strength.

They are a great breed of dog and honestly i wouldn't have anything else. However they are a lot of work. Obedience training from day 1 is an absoute must. I also found using a 'halti' rather than the traditional leads makes them much easier to walk. I can't believe the number of people i see walking mals and huskies with shoulder harnesses. These dogs were breed to pull and put a shoulder harness on them and that is exactly what they are going to do!

The girl we had while i was growing up was fantastic with small kids. I remember my 4 yr old cousin poking and pulling her tale and she didn't even blink. However the one i had before i koved to ireland i wouldn't trust with children under 13. She just didn't have the experience with small people and got so so excited when she saw them that she would have knocked them over if she was off a lead. However i think if raised from a pup with children then they are ok.

Also as mentioned they should never be off a lead as their prey drive is just so strong. I used to let my girl off the leash at an isolated beach until she took off one day, dissappeared up the stairs and into the bush. I finally found her terrorising an echidna! Not even the spikes in her mouth was enough to deter her! So if you want a dog that will happily trot alongside you off the leash then a husky is not for you. Also many of them have no road sense whatsoever which is another reason they souldn't be off the leash. Also if you are in a country area they are likey to chase cows and sheep.

Don't underestimate the amount of grooming they need when they 'blow' their coat. You will literally be pulling out handfulls of soft fur. It gets everywhere and they do this twice a year. If you were into spinning wool though i reckon you could get gorgeous soft wool from them to make a hat & gloves each year!

They are a pack dog and will try to assert their domiance from day 1. You need to make sure you are the pack leader instead otherwise it will be a nightmare! Things like always making sure they sit before getting food, never letting them walk in through a door before you etc will help assert you as the pack leader.

With all that said i still wouldn't have anything else! You just need to be aware that they have different requirements to other dogs and if you a want a dog you can let off a lead and throw a tennis ball at for it to retreive then a husky (or mal) isn't for you.
    thanks mel b.ur very well informed, as everyone seems to be on this thread.great info.thanks a mill..

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Another Sibe owner here, my lad is two this month and I have to say they are a fantastic breed. As mentioned they need alot of exercise and training, but that has build my bond with him over the two years so much I wouldn't have done it any other way. I have had so much craic with him, he has so much personality, has made me laugh more than anyone has before. There is not one ounce of aggression in him, nor is he very skittish around other people. He is great with children, all my nieces and nephews love him and he loves to play with them. I wouldn't change him for the world, I also have a German shep and they get along likea house on fire.

However, remember that they are not all like this. Overbreeding has in some dogs caused a spike in their aggression and I have seen this aswell, so if buying do reserach and find a good breeder. Also be ready to give them the time and effort they need to become a good dog. As puppys and through all their life really they require a firm owner who will lay the law down when needed.
    thanks Irishcrx.sounds like a great dog to have.a lot of work but worth it in the end i hope..have sooooooo much to think about.

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    This popped up on another forum recently:

If you have ever uttered to yourself, “please dear Lord, let that pass through ‘em without the need for surgical attention.” …You probably own a Husky.

If valuable objects in your home are ranked according to jumping height from the ground …You probably own a Husky.

If you’ve thought, at least once in the past month, that you should be nominated for Sainthood…You probably own a Husky.

If you’ve been on walks with your dog and thought, “Oh, I hope nobody just witnessed THAT!” …You probably own a Husky.

If your dog thinks or thought at any time in life, that its full name may be part of a curse word…You probably own a Husky.

If you have more fur in your home than your dog has on it, giving the appearance to outsiders that you reside inside of a cotton ball…You probably own a Husky.

If you have started a veterinary fund for “just in case” moments…You probably own a Husky.

If you have a ‘correct dog placement process’ before answering your front door…You probably own a Husky.

If your backyard looks like fencing seen at Alcatraz…You probably own Husky.

If the family cat or other small animals in the home look at your dog as if they know they could be bumped off at any time…You probably own a Husky.

If you’ve ever responded to your spouse or other family members in the home with, “Don’t tell me, I don’t even want to know about it!” You probably own a Husky.

If one or more pieces of fur make it daily into a dish or beverage that you continue to consider perfectly consumable. However, you would freak out if you found a human hair…You probably own a Husky.

If you have ever lost out on a meal because you weren’t paying attention, or blinked…You probably own a Husky.

If you have ever thought to yourself ‘why would anyone do this twice’ and then do it again…willingly…You probably own a Husky.

If you purchase black clothing, full well knowing you will wear it gray…You probably own a Husky.

If you have ever been in the process of cleaning up the first disaster when your dog is working on a second…You probably own a Husky.

If you have now purchased stock in a sticky roller company…You probably own a Husky.

If you have advised anyone as to which vacuum is the “best on the market”…You probably own a Husky.

If you have ever gotten a call by the veterinarian that it is not only okay to pick up your dog early from its procedure, but it is now being encouraged…You probably own a Husky.

If you have ever had to chase your dog through your neighborhood, barefoot, because putting on shoes would’ve taken far too long…You probably own a Husky.

If your yearly Christmas tree is now decorated at the top only, and/or has been securely anchored to a wall…You probably own a Husky.

If you can’t even remember what your good holiday decorations look like, because you no longer display them…You probably own a Husky.

If you’ve ever had to explain to your children/step children that ‘no they haven’t been bad, you just can’t put any presents under the tree until they are ready to be opened’…You probably own a Husky.

If you have ever laughed manically at an obedience trainer’s ad that boasts they “can change any behavior within the first visit”…You probably own a Husky.

If your dog’s toy bin resembles a scene from the beaches of Normandy rather than anything from a PetSmart shelf…You probably own a Husky.

If Goodwill has declined to take items of yours….You probably own a Husky.

If you can carry on a conversation with your dog better than you could with most people you’ve met…You probably own a Husky.

If your dog and your family are of equal worth and importance to you…You probably own a Husky.
    whoa ,seroius stuff, would have to take issue with the xmas tree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Whereabouts do you live? If you happen to be near me you're welcome to meet some of my pack.

I think everyone else has covered it pretty much, they're a wonderful wonderful breed, but a lot of work and dedication is needed. I see a lot of stories online of people who end up dumping theirs as they have 1 dog, keep it inside and don't exercise it, it's bored and lonely and gets destructive, and then they just get rid :(
    So when I meet people while walking mine, I find myself talking them out of getting one unless they're *really* willing and prepared, otherwise the poor thing will end up in a pound.

Also, beware, they'll take over your life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150119614672474&set=a.10150119614077474.319587.270131087473

This little huskie needs to be homed by the 11th!! Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Wow! that Husky looks great very unusual colours. Sounds friendly too.

JazzyJ wrote: »

sent that link to someone who has 3 huskies who are briliantly taken care off but having read the organisations ridicolous rehoming policies i doubt they will be able to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

i recommend a staffie as a family pet!!

sent that link to someone who has 3 huskies who are briliantly taken care off but having read the organisations ridicolous rehoming policies i doubt they will be able to help

What did you not like about their rehoming policies?

The dog is actually in Dunboyne pound, and they don't have any rehoming policies, if you just go and pay the rehoming fee, you can take the dog out. It has until 11th to be reclaimed, then can be rehomed, but I think they take bookings. If nobody claims or rehomes it by 11th, then A Dogs Life will try and get the dog out to safety.

I don't think its a siberian husky, I think she may be a mal cross, gorgeous dog though.

What did you not like about their rehoming policies?

The dog is actually in Dunboyne pound, and they don't have any rehoming policies, if you just go and pay the rehoming fee, you can take the dog out. It has until 11th to be reclaimed, then can be rehomed, but I think they take bookings. If nobody claims or rehomes it by 11th, then A Dogs Life will try and get the dog out to safety.

I don't think its a siberian husky, I think she may be a mal cross, gorgeous dog though.

ill say that to her, the main one is this
    2. We only place dogs into homes where they will be kept mainly as a house dog. The dog must sleep in the house. Our intention is that our dogs are taken on as cherished members of the family. We do not permit our dogs to be kennelled outdoors.

i just find that ridicolous (particularly for larger dogs and particularly for any cold weather breeds) i dont think its in anyway cruel or unreasonable to have a dog sleep outside, we happen to have ours sleep inside but having a hard and fast rule that nobody who will have their dog sleeping outside no matter how good the conditions just sounds ridicolous to me

the other one is the leaving alone for long periods, i assume its refering to people with full time jobs(someone else on this forum complained recently i think that they couldnt rehome because they both had full time jobs) at the very least if there is another dog in the house it shouldnt be a problem if they are at home say from 9-5 together

im not saying no rules is the way to go but they just sound way over the top

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

That dog is still in the pound so if they are interested I suggest they ring the pound to find out what her status is quoting kennel number 14.

There is no guarantee that the dog will even be taken out by A Dog's Life as they are chocca at the moment, it could go to another rescue.

Peakoutput, with all respect A Dog's Life are a small rescue with no premises run by volunteers with full time jobs not even in the animal industry. The rehoming conditions are there for a reason and people who can't agree to them are invited to contact A Dog's Life to discuss them. The working all day rule can be gotten around by using a dog walker for example. I don't think rescue organisations should be put down for trying to do the best for the animals which in this case are all strays taken from the pound.

ill say that to her, the main one is this

i just find that ridicolous (particularly for larger dogs and particularly for any cold weather breeds) i dont think its in anyway cruel or unreasonable to have a dog sleep outside, we happen to have ours sleep inside but having a hard and fast rule that nobody who will have their dog sleeping outside no matter how good the conditions just sounds ridicolous to me

the other one is the leaving alone for long periods, i assume its refering to people with full time jobs(someone else on this forum complained recently i think that they couldnt rehome because they both had full time jobs) at the very least if there is another dog in the house it shouldnt be a problem if they are at home say from 9-5 together

im not saying no rules is the way to go but they just sound way over the top

Most of the smaller rescues are actually very reasonable, and the rules can be bent for the right home. Rescues are just worried that people will take a dog on, and then it will sleep outside, then spend all day out there, and end up with virtually no contact from its family at all.

I agree that a working dog, like a husky can live outside if the kennel is good enough, and there is lots of interaction with the humans of the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Most of the smaller rescues are actually very reasonable, and the rules can be bent for the right home. Rescues are just worried that people will take a dog on, and then it will sleep outside, then spend all day out there, and end up with virtually no contact from its family at all.

I agree that a working dog, like a husky can live outside if the kennel is good enough, and there is lots of interaction with the humans of the family.

Exactly! Most owners like the one that you mentioned are proud of their dogs and so will ring up and explain the set up. Then it's quite evident during the homecheck how the dogs are around the place and how the family interact with them.

My Husky yesterday devoured a cooked chicken bones and all. We managed to eat 2 breasts and a leg ourselves.

Here is the impressive thing . The chicken was wrapped in tinfoil in a baking tray on the counter in the kitchen. He Managed to peel back the tin foil take the chicken out of the baking tray and eat it . All in 5 minutes .

There was a wing left in the tray . So now we have days of stool watching , praying we see no blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

My Husky yesterday devoured a cooked chicken bones and all. We managed to eat 2 breasts and a leg ourselves.

Here is the impressive thing . The chicken was wrapped in tinfoil in a baking tray on the counter in the kitchen. He Managed to peel back the tin foil take the chicken out of the baking tray and eat it . All in 5 minutes .

There was a wing left in the tray . So now we have days of stool watching , praying we see no blood.

If that was my fella he'd eat the tinfoil as well! He pulled christmas decorations out of a press when he was a pup, didn't have much interest in them other than dragging them around the house but for a few days to follow he had tiny bits of tinsel in his stool

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

DogObedienceTraining.jpg

Nothing to add except that I love this pic :D

so what do you do with the husky besides watching like in my head it says you gotta punish bad behaviour but how do you do it or do you just let it go?

Of course he got punished. He is actually very good for a Husky, but every now and again he slips. He also spent the evening on his side farting like an old man .

Of course he got punished.

How ?. Surely you know that the way to train is reward good behaviour & not by punishing bad.

So who is going to punish you for leaving the chicken within his reach ?.

Of course he got punished. He is actually very good for a Husky, but every now and again he slips. He also spent the evening on his side farting like an old man .

i wasnt trying to attack you or anything i was honestly asking how you punish a husky

Discodog wrote: »
    How ?. Surely you know that the way to train is reward good behaviour & not by punishing bad.

So who is going to punish you for leaving the chicken within his reach ?.

look i dont want to drag the thread of topic and if thats how you do it fine, but the dogs behaviour was rewarded he got to eat an entire chicken

im not asking how many times i can hit a dog or if i should rub its nose in its crap but,imo, there has to be consquences for bad behaviour even for a dog

and all the friendliest / happiest / best behaved / coolest dogs iv seen have had owners that do both reward and punish

• Advertisement

and all the friendliest / happiest / best behaved / coolest dogs iv seen have had owners that do both reward and punish

And I have seen plenty of dogs that have become aggressive, unmanageable, nervous, etc etc because of punishment. You never see professional trainers referring to punishment for good reason.

If you have a dog that steals - I had three but two are cured so far, then leave a treat within reach if the dog jumps up & teach the dog to leave it. When he does then reward him with the treat.

Advertisement