Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will You Age Naturally?

Options
  • 02-01-2011 1:07am

This thread could be started in either tGC or here, but thought I'd ask the question here. Would the people of tLL (woman and men alike) age naturally? By that I mean, will you let it run it's course or will you make yourself seem younger with the likes of hair dye, anti-aging creams or the extremes like botox and the like?

Personally, I'm looking forward to having wrinkles and grey hairs. There's just something so beautiful about it.

One thing that greatly annoys me, being a man, is seeing those Just for Men adverts. The ones that basically say that if you have grey hair, you won't get the job you want, you won't get the woman you want, and your children won't respect you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I agree those adverts are truly terrible but the thing is I think men can age gracefully, It is not as socially acceptable to see a woman with grey hair etc. There is more pressure on women to look good, I haven't really thought about it but I will probably dye my hair, use creams etc. I wouldn't consider botox or surgery ever, As I agree with the OP there is something beautiful about having lines and knowing where they came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

anti-aging creams
    Snake oil, they don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

well ive been going grey since i was 16 so growing old gracefully it is :). Fingers crossed I inherit my Grans genes, shes 70 and looks at least 10 years younger + everyone thinks my mum is my sister:rolleyes: so we seem to be a lucky family. I hate hospitals and doctors at the best of times so cant see myself every having plastic surgery or botox or anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

im goin bald..i've come to terms with it..but i hate the hair restoration add that shows a lion with a huge mane walking through long grass somewhere in the serengetti on a windy african day. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Totally, I LOVE grey hair on women in their 30s/40s, paired with some glasses and a nice scarf- YUM! ;) Not saying I'll end up with the nice kind of grey hair, but meh!

It does disturb me when people have to stay looking young. It's not natural. Women who let themselves age with respect and dignity make me happy to see. Now, I'll happily admit I'm weirded out at the fact I turn 30 next year, but that's only because in my head I'm still 11 and picking out the best crayola set for my pocket money!!! Where did the last 20 years disappear to?? :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Was just about to write absolutely nothing worst than mutton dressed as same or seeing some desperate attempt to overcome the aging process but must concede I will dye my hair! Other than that, will just let nature do its worst!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ava Adored

I think I would dye my hair, but so that it looks natural and not too obvious! I may have to get a little help though, no botox, but more natural type "facelifts"! By then, I'm hoping it will be a nice experience :rolleyes:
    Im not wanting to look like Im caught in a wind tunnel, but a little lift here and there would keep my vanity happy!

Men dying their hair is a no no. We can always see it a mile away! Men usually age well, some male celebrities actually look better with more wrinkles!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

I currently dye my hair and have done so since I was 16. I've also had the misfortune of having a rhinoplasty and septoplasty after a bad break which turned me off surgery for cosmetic reasons for life so hair dye is as far as I go.

I will always do my best to keep myself looking well, that applies now as much as it will when I'm 60. I look after my skin, drink plenty of water, don't smoke, moisturise, all that jazz, I've dyed my hair since I was a teenager so that is unlikely to change. I will try my best to grow old gracefully though.

I wouldn't go down the botox/cosmetic surgery route. It's just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

No other help only dying of hair. mind you im going grey since was about 20,hate to see what +he mop would be like now 8 years later. men look great with the salt n' pepper look. distinguished etc...us womenfolk cant really get away with the greys:-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I'll probably stay dying my hair and using face creams and stuff but no surgery for me.

offaly1 wrote: »
    ...us womenfolk cant really get away with the greys:-(

I genuinely don't think that's true. I've seen many women with grey hair that have also looked so knowing and distinguished.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Moisturiser, plenty of water and plenty of exercise. My hair is naturally fair enough to make grey hair hard to spot until there's a lot of it. So yeah, I guess I'll be growing old gracefully. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

I'm a little shy of 30 but currently dye my hair, use facecreams by the bucketload and if I'm honest, am considering botox in the next year or two as I have a couple frown lines that could do with a little smoothing :(
    I guess I'll deal with getting older but have absolutely no problemo with giving mother nature a helping hand though wouldn't resort to facelifts or that malarky!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Of course I'd like to say that I'll nver have surgery, but I just don't know. I don't think there is anything wrong with it and if you're feeling crappy about yourself, then why not. So long as it's reasonably subtle and you don't nd up looking freakish.

My mother has always had jet black hair, developing greys over the last fw years she started dying it. The last time she had a bad allergic reaction, and no longer will dye it. So she's started to get a few little greys around her temples and I think they soften her face and actually look very pretty.

I have long dark hair and currently don't dye it. I'm 27, the women in my family don't seem to grey until their late 40's so I have a long way to go yet. But since I was a kid I've always thought that long grey hair on an older woman is beautiful, soft and grandmotherly. If I have hair like this in when I'm older I'll be delighted.

http://vedasunblog.com/?p=33

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Embrace grey hair, you silver ladies! Check out Kristen Mcenamy. Stunning. If I went grey, I think I would dye some of it, with Daphne Guinness for inspiration.
    I fully intend to grow old gracefully in my own skin. Growing old is as beautiful as youth, you just need to accept it and like any age, being comfortable is beauty money can't buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Dyeing my hair will probably be as far as I go and it's something I do now anyway. I like changing the colour every now and again. Can't see myself getting surgery or botox or anything like that. I accidentally saw a boob job being performed on tv once (flicked over at a very violent looking moment) and nearly got sick. It was so...brutal. The ease at which breast enhancement is talked about in the media today makes you forget whats actually involved, it's an operation. The thought that it is unnecessary (ruling out cosmetic reconstruction here) was mind-boggling to me. I can understand why people would do it but it's just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

There is a certain woman in my mind and I can't for the life of me remember who she is. I think she was on one of the crappy programmes my mother watched when I was a child like touched by an angel or doctor quinn. But she had long grey hair tied into a loose plait. It was just stunning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Whispered wrote: »
    There is a certain woman in my mind and I can't for the life of me remember who she is. I think she was on one of the crappy programmes my mother watched when I was a child like touched by an angel or doctor quinn. But she had long grey hair tied into a loose plait. It was just stunning.

My dad's aunt always wore her beautiful grey hair in a bun. I remember my mum telling me that it actually waist length and I was so fascinated! I always wished she'd let me see it down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Reward

I like having a few grey hairs but my life is so stress free these days they have all gone. I don't think Ill be colouring my hair but you never know, perhaps if I do want to in the future by then there will be more dignified ways of doing it than there are available today.

I use products for my face, to be perfectly honest, in my life Ive traded a lot on my looks, if I lost the ability to do that I think that I would find it difficult as I have neglected other areas because looking a certain way opens doors.

There was a recent study done in the UK, according to it women are looking to older men in greater numbers these days as they leave men their own age behind in terms of education and wealth, if thats true, the value of older men in society is on an upward trajectory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

I think I’ll just let nature just run its course really. There are parts of my body I don’t like and sometimes I look in the mirror and think to myself that I’d like to have plastic surgery but it’s always just a fleeting thought really and it’s never going to happen. It’s just silly little insecurities and body hang-ups.

I’ve never dyed my hair and I don’t think I’ll ever will. It’s a strange colour that can’t really be described and I like it. :o My hairdresser would probably refuse to dye it anyway! I’ll definitely stay away from botox too. I think it’s obvious when people get it done and quite false looking. It’s just not for me. I’ll probably use anti-aging creams a bit but wrinkles don’t really bother me. I think it’s nice to grow old gracefully, the way nature intended.

Like Sibylla already pointed out it’s much more socially acceptable for men to have grey hair than women. It’s seen as an attractive quality. Look at George Clooney – he’s really sexy and has loads of grey hair. Women are sort of expected to do everything in their power to stop the aging process whereas wrinkles and grey hairs are seen as adding charm and character to men unfortunately.

Those Just For Men ads make me cringe every time. They are atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Reward

Mollikins wrote: »
    I think I’ll just let nature just run its course really. There are parts of my body I don’t like and sometimes I look in the mirror and think to myself that I’d like to have plastic surgery but it’s always just a fleeting thought really and it’s never going to happen. It’s just silly little insecurities and body hang-ups.

I’ve never dyed my hair and I don’t think I’ll ever will. It’s a strange colour that can’t really be described and I like it. :o My hairdresser would probably refuse to dye it anyway! I’ll definitely stay away from botox too. I think it’s obvious when people get it done and quite false looking. It’s just not for me. I’ll probably use anti-aging creams a bit but wrinkles don’t really bother me. I think it’s nice to grow old gracefully, the way nature intended.

Like Sibylla already pointed out it’s much more socially acceptable for men to have grey hair than women. It’s seen as an attractive quality. Look at George Clooney – he’s really sexy and has loads of grey hair. Women are sort of expected to do everything in their power to stop the aging process whereas wrinkles and grey hairs are seen as adding charm and character to men unfortunately.

Those Just For Men ads make me cringe every time. They are atrocious.

Here is that study "The George Clooney effect" they have called it, celebrity gossip culture meets science is suppose. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101210075920.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I already look like worzel gummidge with a boob job :( nothing can save me from growing old tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't know. I don't think I will dye my hair when it goes grey. It would take a while to spot anyway because my hair is so blonde naturally. My Dad started going grey (was naturally jet black) in his 20's, but it really suits him. He's definitely got better looking with age!

Would never get cosmetic surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

well i've dyed my hair plenty and i'm only a young'un, so i will probably dye my hair as I go grey , but i imagine there will come an age when that just feels too fake/ridiculous and i'll let it go grey altogether. I think grey hair can be beautiful but i'd still probably dye it .

and yes i'll probably use anti ageing creams too, even though i dont really have any faith in them but sure why not.. i mean, i put a certain amount of effort into my appearance in my 20s, i dont see why it's more 'graceful' to stop when you get older.

i would never get botox, but if i was filthy rich I would think about a (not too severe!) facelift when I'm older. it's funny cos I've always been rather anti-plastic surgery, but at the same time I feel like a facelift isn't a super invasive surgery and isn't that 'fake' because it's still all your own skin etc. i do think it would be a nice treat and something which i think would make me feel prettier as i age. don't judge!
    but i dont plan on being filthy rich so i'll just have to age the old fashioned way haha.

i think it's easy to say that women who 'age gracefully' are so beautiful etc etc, and of course sometimes i see older women who really are just gorgeous and i hope i age like them... but without sounding mean, realistically there are a lot of older women who don't just happen to have beautiful silver hair and glowing skin.... it's an awful lot to do with luck and genetics -just as beauty in our younger years is too! so i dont think it's fair to say it's ungraceful for women to still put effort into their appearance as they age.

one thing i promise myself is to never get the short haircut so many women seem to do after their fifties. fair enough to anyone who has it and likes it, and of course it really suits some people, but i plan to never have hair shorter than a bob when I'm older!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I think in some respects i'll be lucky, my family are all quite youthfull, so perhaps genetics are on my side!! I've been dying my hair since i was 16 to hide grey hair, and its gotten to the stage that i have to colour it every 3 weeks or so, so maybe its time to go blonde!! My mother dyed her hair blonde for years(we're all naturally dark, dark brunettes) but a few years back she stopped colouring and the amount of strangers who stop her to tell her how stunning her hair colour is would astound you!! If i can do the same i'm onto a winner:D

Beyond wearing moisturiser i don't worry about my skin, as i said before the entire family are quite youthful, so wrinkles are not a major issue, and even if i do get some in years to come i think they are a sign of your life, and something to be worn proudly! I'll probably have more laughter lines than anything else as i like to smile and laugh-there's joy to be found everyday!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Personally, I'm looking forward to having wrinkles and grey hairs. There's just something so beautiful about it.

To be fair there's a massive social difference between a guy and a girl ageing naturally, the pressures are just not the same.

Your grey hairs make you more 'distinguished','refined', a 'silver fox' perchance and your wrinkles give you 'character', whereas an ageing woman who has made little effort to retain her youthful looks is generally not met with the same respect or recognition. Sure even the 'cougars' that men admire are the older women who have gone to extremes to maintain their sexual attractiveness - hair dye is a given, maybe surgery, youthful clothes, etc. Not to turn this into a raging feminist debate but it's just the way it is.

Personally, I'll do what's necessary to keep myself confident and happy with what I see in the mirror. I dye my hair anyway so will continue with that, I'm pretty diligent with skincare and assume anti-ageing creams will come into it at some stage and though for years I was anti-botox, I've seen some good results in other people so wouldn't totally rule it out. Though I'm generally low maintenance when it comes to my appearance and thus far (at the grand old age of 25!) have found that a healthy diet and lots of exercise keeps me looking far more youthful and attractive than any of the cosmetic stuff. So I'll probably just rely on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Whispered wrote: »

Was it Maxine from Judging Amy?
    http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://sharetv.org/images/judging_amy/cast/large/maxine_gray.jpg&imgrefurl=http://sharetv.org/shows/judging_amy/cast/maxine_gray&usg=__QiluD-19YIkKk57WL-_ueXWvT34=&h=300&w=243&sz=65&hl=en&start=112&sig2=Eqz31AVAxV2SZP84RsEd0g&zoom=1&tbnid=Aglui1BPg9i-FM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=121&ei=1DQgTcrxKIOGhQfq9K24Dg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtyne%2Bdaly%2Bjudging%2Bamy%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R2ADBS_enIE405%26biw%3D1259%26bih%3D627%26tbs%3Disch:11%2C3155&um=1&itbs=1&biw=1259&bih=627&iact=rc&dur=280&oei=FDQgTd2aCcmFhQfj0_m3Dg&esq=39&page=7&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:112&tx=92&ty=24

I can't find a pic of her gorgeous plaited hair though. I've been saying for ten years that I can't wait to have hair like her.
    My granny was the brightest silver grey, and my mam only got her first few greys a few years ago, in her early fifties. I noticed my first few grey hairs last year, now I have about 20. I'm 28!

I moisturise with creams that take my age into account, and use eye cream. I drink a lot of water too. My mother and grandmother have/ had amazing skin, so I'm happy enough if it's hereditory.

I would never get surgery though. I can't imagine ever choosing to put myself in hospital.... although in saying that, I am strongly considering laser eye surgery- does that count?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

already have grey hair coming in :( it bothers me a little, but that's me - i don't care what others think of it. i only dye my hair when i feel like it - not to cover up greys. won't be using any magical creams either. just normal eating as well as i can, keeping kit and hydrated. use a good moisturiser.
    some guys can look hella sexy when grey and with crows feet when they smile :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 1daydreamer

The real trick to aging naturally comes from eating a really healthy diet including plenty of water, exercising regularly in some way you actually find enjoyable (yes, it is possible), and managing your stress without smoking, or overdoing the drinking. It isn't all appearance, consider things like joint flexibility and bone density and endurance, and how that would effect your ability to get around. A youthful glow begins from inside, and I intend to be a spry old lady when the time comes. I have watched as my grandparents and parents age and seen what a difference lifestyle has on the way they look and act. Hair dye may be in my future, since I already highlight and occasionally dye it other colors for fun. So I intend to age gracefully....on hiking trails and ski slopes.

Advertisement