Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Forward in Reverse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Last night:

5.2 miles in 45.56. 8.47 pace.

Today

12.78 miles in 2 hrs. 9.23 pace.

Ive managed to do something to my knee.

Quite the concern really. Sore knee which also lead to sore hip and calf. Hoping its a one off bad day. Icing it at the moment. Not sore enough to stop running but not something id like to be running a marathon with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

LaHaine wrote: »
    Last night:

5.2 miles in 45.56. 8.47 pace.

Today

12.78 miles in 2 hrs. 9.23 pace.

Ive managed to do something to my knee.

Quite the concern really. Sore knee which also lead to sore hip and calf. Hoping its a one off bad day. Icing it at the moment. Not sore enough to stop running but not something id like to be running a marathon with.
    I'd keep everything super easy between now and the big day and take the odd day off completely.
    Ease up those day-to-day runs as much as possible. Nothing to be gained by running them too fast at this stage. Maybe see someone to put your mind at ease. A good thorough massage might do the trick if it's tight calves or IT band or whatever.
    Hope you're better soon.

Physio diagnosis of tight IT band. Dry needling in a few days. Massage today.

No running for the next few days. Not overly happy about that but not much I can do.

Physio diagnosis of tight IT band. Dry needling in a few days. Massage today.

No running for the next few days. Not overly happy about that but not much I can do.

Good call seeing physio. You won't lose any fitness in a few days.
    Sit tight (sorry bad turn of phrase:o) and I'm sure you'll be fine in a few days.
    Best of luck!

Had another physio appointment Thursday. More massage and dry needling.

Haven't done any running. Did a ten mile walk today. Better than nothing.

Another two physio trips next week. Fingers and everything else crossed..

• Advertisement

Yesterday:

25 km cycle.

Today:

massage and dry needling. Back to jogging tomorrow, fingers crossed all goes well

Tonight:

3 miles in 28.30.

No pain! Physio again in the morning. On the right road at last!!

Have been resting leg since physio session Wednesday as per her advice. Killed me not running but shes the expert si for once I listened.

Tonight - 3 miles in 27.20.

Ive no idea what pace to go for now. Was all set on 3.50. Physio says leg is good to go. I missed a few runs of taper but that said I did a ten mile walk and a cycle and ive kept walking a good bit over past week. Surely I cant have lost much fitness?

Today:

2 miles. Sloow.

Managed to get caught in a big queue at the expo - and then when I left there was none!!

Ive been thinking a lot about my pace and I really don't know what to do. But im leaning towards starting with 4 hour pacers. Better to start conservative than start to fast and blow up. Or that's the theory anyway.

Great atmosphere at the expo. Really getting exciting now!!

Today:

2 miles. Sloow.

Managed to get caught in a big queue at the expo - and then when I left there was none!!

Ive been thinking a lot about my pace and I really don't know what to do. But im leaning towards starting with 4 hour pacers. Better to start conservative than start to fast and blow up. Or that's the theory anyway.

Great atmosphere at the expo. Really getting exciting now!!

No harm starting out very conservatively. See how the pace feels. If you're starting to think at half way that it's really too slow, then pick it up a bit, but any pace changes you make should be done VERY gradually. If you're feeling really good at 20 miles, step it up another bit.

All the work is done. You've had a great few months training and have a good base behind you. It's normal to be feeling a bit worried.
    Best of luck. Rooting for you!!!

• Advertisement

26.2 miles in 4.34.

What went wrong?

Well the old knee wasn't playing ball after about 6 miles. Gradually got worse and that was that. Second half was me hobbling/jogging/walking.

Part of me is gutted, part is proud I finished. But to be honest the overall feeling is determination that I'm going to do another one and smash it!!

Legs are sore today. Ill take a few days off now and reassess. But im far from beaten. The last time a marathon went wrong I was soo pssed off but this time I just want to do it again. And I will.

Spring marathon 2015 all going well.

Phenomenal support at it. Fair play to everyone who turned up to support.

No running since marathon. one cycle of about twenty km and a few marathon drinking and eating sessions. Nice t let off some steam. Knee feels ok now. Im foam rolling it a lot to try loosen the IT band.

Tonight I started Insanity. A different challenge. I just did the fitness test and I was banjaxed!

Plan for now is to do Insanity while slowly getting back into the running, stretching and foam rolling as much as possible.

Onwards and upwards

Last night:

Insanity workout. Phew thats hard going. Puddles of sweat!

This morning.

5km in 25.58. 8.38 pace.

First run after the marathon. Knee was ok but tightness in hip and thigh. Ill keep the runds short for now. Seems to get worse with longer runs.

Hungover, bleugh..

Finally dragged myself up and out the door

3 miles in 23.21. 7.46 pace.

Surprisingly ok. Knee felt fine. Hopefully all the stretching and foam rolling is helping.

Really need to buy some new runners. Trip to Amphibian King long overdue.

Last week :

Monday: Insanity cardio power.

Tuesday: Insanity Cardio recovery

Wednesday: three miles in 24 mins

Thursday: Insanity pure cardio.

weekend: Marathon drinking.

today: Insanity Cardio abs.

Loving Insanity. That being said I want to pick back up the running more now.

Back to the early starts.

4 miles in 33.33. 8.23 pace.

Nice chilly morning. Legs felt okay if a little sluggish.

Last night

Insanity core and balance.

Today:

3 miles in 23.43.

Little bit faster than of late. Very windy which didn't help.

This morning :

3 miles in 23.07. 7.41 pace.

Remembering how this running malarkey is done...step by step.

Also managed to sleep in half an hour after my alarm. Got out in the end though. Albeit dreary eyed and cold

This morning :

3 miles in 23.18. Average pace 7.46.

This morning :

5 miles in 40.26. 8.04 pace.

Just never got going. Huffing and puffing like an old man. Hoping for red lights etc.

Champion mentality right there!

That being said my knee felt ok so its all good.

• Advertisement

Sunday:

3 miles in 22.26.

Felt good. Fastest ive ran in a while

Monday:

Insanity: cardio plyo something or other. Love it.

This morning:

3 miles in 24.09.

Great getting out early when everyone is in bed. Cause, you know, that makes me better at life than them

This morning :

3 miles in 24.54. How is that even possible. I thought I was going at a decent pace.

I do have a bit of a cold coming on. Maybe thats it. Or maybe im horribly unfit. Lets not argue

Today:

6 miles in 47.02. 7.49 pace.

Felt decent today. Furthest ive ran since the marathon!!

Monday :

Insanity Pure Cardio

Tuesday :

Insanity Plyometric cardio circuit.

Today:

3 miles in 21.18. 7.06.

Nice!! That came out of nowhere. I think the Insanity is doing great things to my legs. A lot of high knee drills and butt kicks etc. Legs felt like they had a lot more turnover speed than usual.

Never any harm to try something different anyway.

Today:

6 miles in 47.16. 7.52 pace.

Thursday :

5 miles in 39.25. 7.53 pace.

Tuesday:

Insanity - max cardio conditioning. Hard stuff.

Wednesday

3 miles in 23.30.

Today:

4 miles in 30.23. 7.35 pace.

Had a busy week with Xmas parties and nights out. So although its a poor effort training wise im not too bothered.

A few runs wouldn't be a bad idea this week though to curb the threatening obesity!!

Last night:

Insanity. One of toughe ones. Combination of weekend drinking, sleepless night after getting dumped and busy work isnt ideal for interval stuff.

Tonight:

5 miles in 37.57. 7.35 pace.

A lot on my mind and was nice to get out and run in the dark. Again, the Insanity seems to be making a big difference. Thats a very decent time for me for five miles. Especially since I haven't been running much.

Bit milder weather wise. Dare I say too warm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Can i ask why you are doing all your runs at faster than your 10 mile pace?
    Are you just trying to do every single run at close to your best possible time?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Can i ask why you are doing all your runs at faster than your 10 mile pace?
    Are you just trying to do every single run at close to your best possible time?

To be quite honest theres been a severe lack of planning. I never really plan my pace. I go out and run. Which is probably why my times dont really improve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

To be quite honest theres been a severe lack of planning. I never really plan my pace. I go out and run. Which is probably why my times dont really improve.

Yes I really think you would benefit from a bit of structure. Do most runs slow and some runs really fast (i.e. structured intervals, tempos etc). Running close to but not quite your best on almost all your runs is probably the least efficient way to improve and has a high injury risk.
    Why don't you look at the plan clearlier has put up on the graduates thread? Even if you don't do all the runs you could follow the structure.

Advertisement