Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Shortages

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'll tell you the real conspiracy of the water "shortages" and enforced restrictions, the real winner in this are the electricity utility companies. The restrictions mean that washing machines, dishwashers and electric showers etc. can only be run during peak electricity times. It's burning a massive hole in my pocket. grrr :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Dyflin wrote: »
    I'll tell you the real conspiracy of the water "shortages" and enforced restrictions, the real winner in this are the electricity utility companies. The restrictions mean that washing machines, dishwashers and electric showers etc. can only be run during peak electricity times. It's burning a massive hole in my pocket. grrr :mad:

Would people not be less likely to use them? Especially dishwashers :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Would people not be less likely to use them? Especially dishwashers :confused:
    I'm assuming he's referring to places in Dublin which had their water restricted to daytime use only and then cut off at night.

The hypothesis of course ignores those who had no water full stop. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I dont think anyone has said that the main pipes froze, I remember it was reported a year ago that some pipes are constantly leaking and the whole system is very inefficient, the very cold weather(and we had extreme coldness this time) can do further damage. only way to repair the damage is to shut down the water supply while the leaks are repaired.

The pipes are always leaking, when the water freezes it ruptures the ground and allows for a leak to flow dropping pressure. 50% of the Dublin system is pre 1940, I guess the lizards had a time putting all those old pipes down there. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 HayleyLyons1

pay,pay,pay and your problems will go away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

robtri wrote: »
    my point is that water charges have already been passed.....
    so why do they need to pull a trick like this....

...because the incoming government (most likely FG/Labour), who are arguably more or less the same as the outgoing government - would like the Irish media to be good boys and girls and ensure the public at large are softened up in advance, so as not to ask any Labour or FG politicians about water charges (or more to the point, not to make it an issue) when said party reps might call to the doors of potential voters.

The water charges may have been passed, but if it becomes a big issue and one or more parties stand out against those charges *and* those parties are elected in big enough numbers - the water charge may not be enacted, or if they are already enacted by then, overturned.

It's more a case of softening people up not for the inevitable charges being imposed upon them, but more so that it doesn't become an issue in the run up to the general election.

Or not as the case may be, and maybe the county councils/government are all telling the truth - which for me would point more toward then the question of why the media are not pushing the issue of county councils and government failing to maintain, upgrade and improve the waterworks around the country, especially so during the boom times, before they got to this stage of not being able to cope with prolonged cold snaps - and who then are ultimately to blame for not doing their job ?

I think the government would accept the conspiracy quicker than that last one...

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

To be honest lads the state of some of the water pipes in this country is unbeliveable and the council dont really care or dont have the money to fix it. I will give you an example.

I was at a friends house this summer and i noticed there garden seemed soaking in one corner. After enquiring why, he explained that the water mains runs alongside his property on next doors land (unoccupied) and down to the street and that it had been leaking for the past 25 years. He has notified the council numerous times but they wont do anything about it. He resorted to installing a pump and pumping it to a nearby stream. What a waste of water and a good example of the state of the system.

On some of the sites I have worked on the water mains were dating back to victorian times. I dont think there is a conspiracy here but I think there should have been more work done during the boom. Water charges or not it will be the taxpayer will pay for the renewal/repair of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Nehaxak wrote: »
    ...because the incoming government (most likely FG/Labour), who are arguably more or less the same as the outgoing government - would like the Irish media to be good boys and girls and ensure the public at large are softened up in advance, so as not to ask any Labour or FG politicians about water charges (or more to the point, not to make it an issue) when said party reps might call to the doors of potential voters.

The water charges may have been passed, but if it becomes a big issue and one or more parties stand out against those charges *and* those parties are elected in big enough numbers - the water charge may not be enacted, or if they are already enacted by then, overturned.

It's more a case of softening people up not for the inevitable charges being imposed upon them, but more so that it doesn't become an issue in the run up to the general election.

Or not as the case may be, and maybe the county councils/government are all telling the truth - which for me would point more toward then the question of why the media are not pushing the issue of county councils and government failing to maintain, upgrade and improve the waterworks around the country, especially so during the boom times, before they got to this stage of not being able to cope with prolonged cold snaps - and who then are ultimately to blame for not doing their job ?

I think the government would accept the conspiracy quicker than that last one...

so what u are saying is that Fianna Gael or Labour are responsible for the water chortages and leaks around the country???

so what u are saying is that Fianna Gael or Labour are responsible for the water chortages and leaks around the country???

:confused:

Er, yes and also that they're responsible for the shooting of JFK and crucifixion of Jesus christ.

...but anyway, I'll re-quote the tldr version of my post for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Due to the water shortage in Ireland,

Dublin swimming baths have announced they are closing lanes 7 and 8.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Nehaxak wrote: »
    :confused:

Er, yes and also that they're responsible for the shooting of JFK and crucifixion of Jesus christ.

...but anyway, I'll re-quote the tldr version of my post for you...

ok.. that makes no sense... u state that these shortages and leaks are made up to soften up the population for the water charges.. this to me indicates that the other political parties are responsible for them reading your post

ok.. that makes no sense... u state that these shortages and leaks are made up to soften up the population for the water charges.. this to me indicates that the other political parties are responsible for them reading your post

Eh...:rolleyes:

You read too much into and fill in too many blanks between peoples posts, making 5 out of 2+2 rather than just accept they said 4. I haven't the time or the patience to explain every single word I state as my own personal opinion just because you cannot grasp what it is I've said, or indeed you can but are intent on making up stuff to suit a weird delusional need of your own.
    Go read what I said in previous posts again, it's not fact, it's my opinion.
    Accept it or don't, I couldn't care less either way.

I'm open for debate on what I've said but at least show a higher level of intellect when doing so, rather than one liner delusional ramblings that have little or nothing to do with the post you're replying too - that's not "normal".

Advertisement