Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Shortages

Options
  • 31-12-2010 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Could this really be happening , we have got our fare share of rain over the years , Coincidence Northern Ireland is the only part of the "uk" that dont pay water rates and can use what they want , Also major restrictions on supply on the republic , i personally thionk its all a ploy to force people to accept water charges to prevent this happening in the future.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

dekbhoy wrote: »
    Could this really be happening , we have got our fare share of rain over the years , Coincidence Northern Ireland is the only part of the "uk" that dont pay water rates and can use what they want , Also major restrictions on supply on the republic , i personally thionk its all a ploy to force people to accept water charges to prevent this happening in the future.:mad:

I was just thinking exactly the same earlier, ok we had some cold weather, not the first time in history, but now all chaos breaks loose, mains burting everywhere, big expensive job to get it all sorted, cough,cough, we need the money to fix it.

Ok what got me thinking was this, I used to know a fella who worked for Dublin City Council, water department, we were talking about this and that, he was telling me about the handy number he had, basically stand around as a JCB digs to the mains, the climb down and repair whatever leak they were working on be it wear and tear or somebody digging where they shouldnt have, the water system has always had leaks, still does.

How far down are the mains?, a few feet?, how far does the freeze penetrate into the earth?, far enough to freeze water mains a few feet under which constantly flows?, I think not, a river may freeze on top but the flow never stops, so I fail to see how this cold snap suddenly fukks up almost the entire countries water mains.

I think its part of the softening conditioning to accept water charges, how much will they increase over time?, theres plenty of water and the infastructure to distribute it efficiently, maybe an upgrade wouldnt go a miss, but charges for the most abundant basic human right given to all mankind, it's not right.

I read something about the need and want by the powers that be to charge for water, it was a good few years ago but I'm sure it's floating about out there somewhere, dont want to speculate till I come across it again, but almost certain the IMF/World Bank were behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I agree...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Problem,
    Reaction,
    Solution.

Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

We've had two unusually cold winters in a row and aren't even halfway through this one, it's chemtrails. That's also how they're managing to make the water freeze below ground.

It certainly has nothing to do with lower than usual rainfall along with people leaving their taps running and causing demand to rise by about 25% followed by the burst pipes causing more loss of supply. My dad used to work in the council and he must be lying about repairing the pipes that would fcuk up during the winter, including one about 10 feet under a field providing mains water to a couple of hundred houses. Holy ****, he's in on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jokerjoe17

Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura
    S02E06: Great Lakes
    worth a watch should solve ur problems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

No water shortages here in Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

jokerjoe17 wrote: »
    Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura
    S02E06: Great Lakes
    worth a watch should solve ur problems

some interesting bits in there but very over dramatic made for american audience type of documentary. At the end of it claims its all a big chinese conspiracy. Which is nonsense as the chinese have the same issues.

It got me thinking if there is anything added to bottled water. just looked at a bottle of water I got in tesco, only thing that stood out in the ingredients was chloride. And a ph at source of 6.2. Shouldnt water have a ph of neutral?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

M three wrote: »
    some interesting bits in there but very over dramatic made for american audience type of documentary. At the end of it claims its all a big chinese conspiracy. Which is nonsense as the chinese have the same issues.

It got me thinking if there is anything added to bottled water. just looked at a bottle of water I got in tesco, only thing that stood out in the ingredients was chloride. And a ph at source of 6.2. Shouldnt water have a ph of neutral?

7.0 is PH neutral... 6.2 is not far off the mark, depending on what type of rock it was originally filtered in....

water charges and burst pipes .. i cant see the relation....

robtri wrote: »
    7.0 is PH neutral... 6.2 is not far off the mark, depending on what type of rock it was originally filtered in....

water charges and burst pipes .. i cant see the relation....

Then you really dont understand how things work do you?
    Ever heard of thesis and anti thesis??

no i understand how things work just fine thank you....

please enlighten me how i dont understand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭killerking

Water expands when it freezes into ice blocking water pipes during cold weather. When the cold weather ends, temperatures rise and the ice melts. The expanding ice caused the pipes to break hence the leaks during the thaw. The leaks cause water pressure to go down hence the water shortages.
    Where is the conspiracy?:confused:

no i understand how things work just fine thank you....

please enlighten me how i dont understand

Obviously you dont.

You'll figure it out eventually........maybe...........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

It's hardly a conspiracy that our water infrastructure is extremely old and in need of repair

Obviously you dont.

You'll figure it out eventually........maybe...........

so you cant explain.. thought as much...

considering water charges have already been passed by the government, so like petrol increase we dont have much of a choice we have to pay, making up water shortage and burst pipes issues when the charges are already passed, seems a bit retarded doesnt it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭killerking

considering water charges have already been passed by the government, so like petrol increase we dont have much of a choice we have to pay, making up water shortage and burst pipes issues when the charges are already passed, seems a bit retarded doesnt it...

Err...the cold weather froze the pipes and they burst with the thaw and now people are left without water. Why don't you actually stroll down to some of the neighborhood where people are getting washing, cooking and drinking water from tankers and see for yourself.

Surely our poorly maintained leaking aging water systems need to be improved and repaired and charging people would actually pay for it?

Or do you think someone can just wave a wand and magic everything better?

killerking wrote: »
    Err...the cold weather froze the pipes and they burst with the thaw and now people are left without water. Why don't you actually stroll down to some of the neighborhood where people are getting washing, cooking and drinking water from tankers and see for yourself.

Surely our poorly maintained leaking aging water systems need to be improved and repaired and charging people would actually pay for it?

Or do you think someone can just wave a wand and magic everything better?

i understand this, but how is this a conspiracy into forcing water rates on us???? that the piece i dont understand yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The highlighted part is incorrect, Scotland has a flat rate water charge which is collected by the local council. This means that, although they're still paying for water, they can use as much as they want too.

As for the rest of it, it's basic physics really, so not quite a CT. Old pipes + coldest winter in 130 years + subsequent thaw = burst pipes which lead to water restrictions in some parts of the country. We managed to avoid it here until Christmas morning which was a bit of a bummer, it came back the day after the thaw set in though so we counted ourselves lucky. In the meantime our neighbours on either side weren't affected at all which rules out any possible interference with the system other than the cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

The mains supply is constntly flowing, so it cant freeze, plus its mostly 6ft or more below ground, people leave taps running to stop pipes freezing, but flow in the mains is constant, so fail to see why it froze below ground, if it did ifreeze it should be near or at the surface, easily accessible.

Different areas of dublin get their water from different sources, yet they all fukked up in together, actually most of the country fukked up at the same time, which is at least suspect.
    THE EFFECT OF FREEZING ON BONSAI
    The rootsystems of our bonsai are the most susceptible part of the tree to damage from the cold. In nature, a trees roots' are buried into the ground and are rarely subjected to freezing temperatures. Whilst the surface of the ground may freeze, this will only affect the top few inches of the soil. Below this the cold is unable to penetrate deep enough to freeze and the trees' rootsystem remains unaffected by the above ground temperature

http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_WinterCare.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

uprising2 wrote: »
    The mains supply is constntly flowing, so it cant freeze, plus its mostly 6ft or more below ground, people leave taps running to stop pipes freezing, but flow in the mains is constant, so fail to see why it froze below ground, if it did ifreeze it should be near or at the surface, easily accessible.

Different areas of dublin get their water from different sources, yet they all fukked up in together, actually most of the country fukked up at the same time, which is at least suspect.
    LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The mains supply would be constantly flowing in some areas. In the likes of Dublin a lot of the pipes would be constructed from cast iron which is quite brittle in itself. They would also, however, be extremely old so they would also not be as durable as those found in parts of the country which would have grown in more modern times. There is also the issue of the pipes which are not underground but just covered so as to provide easier access, while it is harder for the frost to affect pipes which are under 6ft of concrete and soil, these more exposed areas can be affected a lot sooner. The people leaving their taps running constantly would only be able to save the pipes which run off the mains and into their own houses, this is what froze in our house. :o
    Not really, large parts of the country were affected with the cold weather which, as I mentioned above, was the coldest on record for over 100 years. At the same time some areas weren't touched at all, while we were looking out at a couple of inches of snow here, our cousins down in Limerick didn't have any, no such water problems down there though.

• Advertisement

Since when was it my job to educate you, that should have happened when you were at school.

I will give you some free advice though, do not suggest that anyones thinking or post is retarded, it just makes you look derogatory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Since when was it my job to educate you, that should have happened when you were at school.

I will give you some free advice though, do not suggest that anyones thinking or post is retarded, it just makes you look derogatory

And I will give you some advice

Refrain from back seat Modding as it is against the charter
    Don't tell people what they can post, if you have an issue with it then report the post

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

If the water had frozen (or the pipes partially frozen) then there would have been widespread shortages before the thaw.

That the "suspicious" shortages came after the thaw, its safe to say that the issue was not frozen water mains.

Then again, I've done some looking around and haven't yet managed to find a single article suggesting that it was frozen water mains that were the problem...so I'm not entirely sure what you're basing your reasoning on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

considering water charges have already been passed by the government, so like petrol increase we dont have much of a choice we have to pay

Government bring out charges tomorrow for air, we all have to pay now to breath as the carbon dioxide we're exhaling is impacting on global warming climate change. Don't question it, just accept it, everything is ok, it's a fair tax, the government wouldn't lie to you would they ?

As for the OP, in fairness it was my first thought as well. A prolonged bit of snow and the waterworks infrastructure falls apart... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

During TV interviews on the water shortages in the north, it was pointed out by officials, more than once, that the UK mainland were not having the same issues due to the investments brought about by privitization. I'm sure there was a certain amount of "softening up" the population for the inevitable going on.

I actually would not have a problem what local authority water metering, as long as the charges reflected the costs of supply and upkeep of the mains network, and were not used by the Government as a means of increasing revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

i personally thionk its all a ploy to force people to accept water charges
    I think so too.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Government bring out charges tomorrow for air, we all have to pay now to breath as the carbon dioxide we're exhaling is impacting on global warming climate change. Don't question it, just accept it, everything is ok, it's a fair tax, the government wouldn't lie to you would they ?

As for the OP, in fairness it was my first thought as well. A prolonged bit of snow and the waterworks infrastructure falls apart... :rolleyes:

my point is that water charges have already been passed.....
    so why do they need to pull a trick like this....

other place where water charges are in place i.e N.I and scotland have had worse effects then us..
    unfortuantely really cold weather and a tired old water sytem = loads of leaks.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Nehaxak wrote: »
    A prolonged bit of snow and the waterworks infrastructure falls apart... :rolleyes:

Similar to the "pipes freezing" line, I've been unable to find any sources attributing the problems to "prolonged snow".

Is it just me, or should we not at least connect the claimed reasons for the problems with the suspected conspiracy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I dont think anyone has said that the main pipes froze, I remember it was reported a year ago that some pipes are constantly leaking and the whole system is very inefficient, the very cold weather(and we had extreme coldness this time) can do further damage. only way to repair the damage is to shut down the water supply while the leaks are repaired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

The freeze has nothing to do with it, but I think water charges have been planned for a few years now, water schemes over the last few years have had meters attached to each house, aswell as (I think) all new houses in the last few years have had to have water meters installed.

Advertisement