Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie Ahern steps aside

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Good riddance to the weasel. I hope nobody read Harris's article in the Sindo about St. Bartholomew de Ahern, its a cringefest even by that rags standards. Sad.

Jeez, it MUST be bad!

Mind you, given the colour of Harris' tongue by now, I wouldn't be surprised!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Honestly, read it Liam. You won't see such tripe for a long time again (hopefully)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

kbannon wrote: »
    Honestly, read it Liam. You won't see such tripe for a long time again (hopefully)!

You have to hand it to Eoghan Harris he is fairly unbeatable when it comes to writing such unadulterated ****e. Harris has had his head up his hole, or should that be Bertie's (?), for so long now that he is incapable of any sort of rational journalism. I haven't bought a newspaper for years and I wouldn't even have the the Indo on a peg in an outside privy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Same old Harris. The people are wrong, Bertie wasn't corrupt, it was the evil Fenians, in this case Frank Connolly, who led the witch hunt and fooled Mahon into investigating spurious allegations. :rolleyes:

What does Harris gain by writing this tosh anymore? It can't be simply because Bertie played hardball with the Shinners once?

Oh my good Jesus! I've almost physically puked!
    He was openly derisive about their denials of the Northern Bank robbery.

And yet when we're all "openly derisive" about Ahern's denials, Harris jumps to the prick's defense.
    Could they not see that set beside Ahern's massive achievements in the peace process -- not to mention the bankers' missing billions -- the modest sums pursued by Mahon will soon seem like small change?

So basically, "leave Ahern alone even though not even I will pretend that I believe him, because pompous prats like myself believe that a year's salary to normal folk is pittance, and we don't want you to investigate where it came from and why".

Actually, forget it; there's so much objectionable ****e in that article that logic can't counteract it.

Just glad I haven't wasted hard-earned euro on that rag in years; and if tomorrows chips come in contact with that deluded tripe, I'll throw them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Anything written by Eoghan Harris about Bertie Ahern can be discounted as total spin and fiction. The man is totally compromised by his blind adoration of Bertie and all things Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

gandalf wrote: »
    Anything written by Eoghan Harris about Bertie Ahern can be discounted as total spin and fiction. The man is totally compromised by his blind adoration of Bertie and all things Ahern.

Harris is a joke and it shows the standard of the Sunday Independent. I would not have it if it was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Fitzerb wrote: »
    You have just proved my point.
    Its ok for you to say that about someone but not ok for anyone else to say it.
    Why do we expect others to live on the high moral ground when we can’t do it ourselves

It would just be a nice gesture if he took some of his own medicine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Magi11

gandalf wrote: »

Anything written by Harris on any subject can be discounted. A few weeks ago the paper had an entire magazine based on certain peoples choices for what public figures would lead us from out of this mess. One of Harris' choices was Mary Harney!!!
    Although yesterday's article was particularly dire. It was basically the printed version of the "Late Late" love in 2007. As for the SIndo, Eamonn Sweeney and Shane Ross are the only 2 people worth reading, luckily the mother in law buys the paper so I can read without paying for this rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Jesus, I almost puked reading that! No doubt this apologist is a bedfellow of Bertie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I think serious questions have to be asked about the Sindo now. They have Harris writing for them, a Bertie Ahern apologist who cant see anything wrong in the man that has brought this country to ruin. They have Willie O'Dea writing for them, a Fianna Fail TD who is obviously going to show complete FF bias about anything he writes. They have Paidi O'Se writing for them a bit, a man so blinded by his FF roots that reading a piece by him is nauseating. They have Celia Larkin, a former girlfriend of Berties writing for them. She got a cushy number a few years back on the National Consumer Agency thanks to her close links to Fianna Fail. Also they have Brendan O'Connor writing for them, a man who until recently could see no wrong with Fianna Fail. Fair and unbiased journalism my arse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ardent wrote: »
    Jesus, I almost puked reading that! No doubt this apologist is a bedfellow of Bertie.
    His actual media rep/advisor.
    In other words, Berties salesman that sells product "Bertie" to the public.

I ain't buying!

Background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eoghan_Harris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I think serious questions have to be asked about the Sindo now. They have Harris writing for them, a Bertie Ahern apologist who cant see anything wrong in the man that has brought this country to ruin. They have Willie O'Dea writing for them, a Fianna Fail TD who is obviously going to show complete FF bias about anything he writes. They have Paidi O'Se writing for them a bit, a man so blinded by his FF roots that reading a piece by him is nauseating. They have Celia Larkin, a former girlfriend of Berties writing for them. She got a cushy number a few years back on the National Consumer Agency thanks to her close links to Fianna Fail. Also they have Brendan O'Connor writing for them, a man who until recently could see no wrong with Fianna Fail. Fair and unbiased journalism my arse

Is the penny just starting to drop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Boycott that rag. If you want to read it go to your local pub where they might have a copy of it on their counter. Do not buy it. To fcuk with that raggy newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Sorry about the font.... BTW, next time you are writing could you show that modicom of decency and ethics and drop the foul mouth .

Don't be sorry be sensible, although if you laud ahern then I am wasting my time.
    I will show people who deserves respect, respect in return.
    Thus I will label ahern and his lackies as I see them.
    Students tend to resent Fianna Fail, pensioners tend to idolise them. For that reason FF will insist on elections taking place when it least suits students, and for for that reason FF have pretty much decimated every element of society bar pensioners

Wrong at last general election.
    I can drag out numerous posts from young students and professionals who actually believed ahern had given them free education, fancy cars, cheap credit to get houses and all jobs in the best industry in the country, construction.
    Of coruse that may have now changed since they have houses and cars repo-ed and have to pay for college or go on the dole. :rolleyes:
    I think you name gives it away. Hope the canvass goes well for well for you in Enda land

Don't canvass for anyone.
    But whatever anyone says about Enda they can never accuse him of being a liar, a non tax conformist, unethical, and a sleeveen who sold out his country so his buddies like the two seanies (dunne and fitz) could get rich.
    Biggins wrote: »
    Well the corruption even now is appears, is never ending...

url]http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/dec/26/conor-mcmorrow-unlike-britain-we-dont-have-an-offi/[/url]

Jobs for the boys (and girls now it seems) for those that did Fianna Fail favours or is connected to them - some by unusual links that can't but draw interest!

Welcome to Irish politics.
    However......Rosemary Healy-Rae is a barrister and she is qualified for that job with the Criminal Injuries Compensation Tribunal. So I don't see a big deal over that. But because of her surname people assume they know why she got the job.

Just because she is barrister does not necessarily mean she has credentials for the job, how many other barristers are there that could fulfill that role ?
    Well knowing jackie gallagher, he is a PR moutpiece who is an ex business journalist with civil service and economics background, who managed to lose his Mayo accent and adopt the one of Jonathan Philbin Bowman type.
    Not sure why he deseves to be on board of Trinity.

Also horkan is a grumpy old accountant, so no idea what the f**k he knows about dental care ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Wide Road

And don't forget the great Senator Shane Ross!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wide Road wrote: »

They should just call it as it is: "The Sunday Fianna Fail Advertiser"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Wide Road wrote: »

Try contributing to threads and the discussions therein, rather than repeatedly inserting useless comments about Shane Ross. Yes, that's an instruction - your (it seems) personal hobby horse does nothing for forum discussions and is better suited to the blog or, better again, twitter account (as they're predominantly one-liners), that I'd recommend that you start. That applies as equally to other carousel-style posts. Comments to me via PM if you have an issue with this.

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭JohnfromGalway

Some part of me thinks E85 Billion is a price worth paying to get rid of FF and their ilk forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Some part of me thinks E85 Billion is a price worth paying to get rid of FF and their ilk forever.

Im sorry No !

My kids right to a future in Ireland that is economically stable is not worth any cost .

The price only to be paid should involve a summons , a dock , a judge , a sentence and some of these SCUM BAGS behind bars .

M.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't kid yourself into thinking that they will be one forever.
    I bet a decent proportion of the electorate will give them first preferences.
    They will be badly hit but people on this island are too tribal to see FF killed off unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Qudos

heybaby wrote: »
    Bertie retires.. the end of an era..yes the end of something alright. Never in the history of this state has one man been responsible for such wanton criminal waste of public money.

Bertie's legacy is the HSE, a basket case of a public health service that discriminates between those that have the money to buy their health and those that dont.

Bertie's legacy is the frankenstein that became the the public sector unions, a relationship that has filled the pockets of public sector workers at the highest levels and ensured a slovenly, lazy, inefficient, overpaid, underworked and self congratulating workforce at the lower levels whose sense of entitlement is staggering in the extreme, I refer you to the chaos that was the passport office during the summer as an illustration of their contempt for the general public. You can thank Bertie for this appalling public sector attitude.

Berties legacy is the appalling state of psychiatric facilities throughout the country. While he will enjoy a pension of 151,000 euro a year till he dies, psychiatric patients endure dickensian conditions in 'hospitals', the length and breadth of the country, with treatment comprising over reliance on medication at the expense of integration into society at large. The subject of psychiatric illness isnt sexy, but Aherns abject refusal to recognise that the most infirm and vulnerable in society deserve equal treatment certainly for me speaks volumes about Ahern as a human being. Aherne cared more about appearing at the opening of an off-license in rathnew than he did about care for patients in delapidated hospitals in remote parts of the country.

At a time when ireland's economy was thriving and was the poster boy of europe in terms of its transformation from an economic basket case to top of the class Ahern basked in the glory of an electorate seduced by the euros thrown their way. The electorate cannot divest themselves of their part in the orgy that was the celtic tiger, Ahern was the people's nero, elected repeatedly because he told us what we wanted to hear and he lined our pockets with cheap ill-gotten cash. If Ahern ends up in the phoenix park in any capacity other than that of a citizen walking his dog, then you can rename this country zimbabwe. Good riddance to bad rubbish, and the most wasteful citizen this country has ever had to endure.
    Statesman, leader, peace negotiator, economist, man of the people. Let he who has not erred cast the first stone. Faultless? No. But a man still who served his country and party to the best of his ability. Bertie Ahern.

Qudos wrote: »
    Statesman, leader, peace negotiator, economist, man of the people. Let he who has not erred cast the first stone. Faultless? No. But a man still who served his country and party to the best of his ability. Bertie Ahern.

Let's humour the above and assume for a second that the above is true.

In that case, the man's abilities were woefully bad.

Now, less look at facts.

Since when is it "the best of anyone's ability" to ignore warnings and tell those involved that they'd be better off committing suicide ?

Arrogance, ego-led denial and delusion, maybe; nothing to do with ability or otherwise.

Does Berbatov give Alex Ferguson two fingers if he shouts from the sideline that someone is about to tackle him ?

So despite any ability that Berbatov might have, he'd be completely at fault for ignoring the warnings.

Not to mention the fact that he'd be laughed at if - having been seen giving those two fingers on-camera - that he claimed that Ferguson didn't warn him.

Ahern is a pathetic joke. Unfortunately one that cost us billions, but a joke nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

Bertie signed blank cheques for Brian Linehan fund , Charlie haughey used the fund for personal use, did Bertie not ask where were the cheques going to !! , could he not see returned cheques or review statements , also

How come Brian / Conor and Mary ( Aunt ) have kept quiet about it, Bertie should be arrested for fraud. Poor Brian was sick and people contributed to the fund taking pity on him .
    Bertie also organised €30000 for Celia Larkin from the Fianna Fund in Drumcondra , how did the other fianna fail members in cumann allow this.
    He put Ray Burke in as Minister of Foreign affairs despite all rumours that were floating, Ray had to eventually resign. Did Bertie apologise to the public !!

He made a fool of the public with the Tribunal , the fault lies with his
    buddies in the Dail, they should have asked to resign, eventually Brian Cowan had to ask him, but it was too late.

Brian Cowan was Bertie's boy, he was promised the big job.
    Note: When He appeared on Adv ( Cabinet ) , he should have been thrown out of Fianna Fail.

Note: He wrote last weekend that we should have handled the IMF different, we keep forgetting that he is still a TD, however he did not have decency to go to Galway for the brainstorming session.

I could go on and on, but its so sick , we are paying the price for it for the next 10 years ( at least ).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭doc_17

Qudos wrote: »

Eve his greatest achievement (Peace process) wasn't really down to him alone....he was part of it bit a very small part. Ahern was just there....could just as easily been someone else. Je stood on the shoulders of "giants!" that went before

Given the doom & gloom I hope it's appropriate to add a joke from tonight's "Panel".

Apparently Ahern resigning marks 40 years since he joined FF in the local cumann, which had the strange name of "I didn't see it"

Advertisement