Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie Ahern steps aside

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Sully wrote: »
    Bertie has confirmed that he is not contesting the next General Election. 40 years in politics this week! He was the chap who had a terrible memory with personal finances, but was well able to write a book about his life. He, of course, is part of the reason the country is in such a mess right now.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

One of many sources include:- http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ahern-to-retire-from-politics-487471.html

No shock here, seeing as he wants to take over from Mary in the head office.

Just like all the other FF rats jumping ship. They know that political reform is on the way and their pensions will be hit so they are taking what they can and running. And I don't think this reform will come from any of the other political parties as there is nobody brave enuogh in politics to make the changes. The IMF will see to it and about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

I'll wager that history and many with inside knowledge and experience of the political arena in his time will testify that he was, primarily,a self serving phenomenon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

RichieC wrote: »
    In fairness, he said he wondered why the moaners and the cribbers didn't commit suicide. slightly less than telling people too. still a ridiculous comment.

He also said, 'Why don't you go do something to yourself.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Pity the lying rat didn't resign 10 years ago before he put the Titanic on course for the iceberg @ full steam ahead.

As for the poster who implied that I put Ahern in power - ridiculous statement considering that I wouldn't have voted for the used car salesman in a million years, and I couldn't have anyway because it was only idiots in a suburb of Dublin that had a vote for him.

I also didn't vote for "Bertie's Team".

Then again, most of FF's utterings lately seem to try to blame more people than is accurate, so I'm going to make a New Year's Resolution to ignore such ill-informed crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Wide Road

The man did change the country, which is more than most (all?) posters on this forum have done.

Like every man, his legacy will be mixed as no one is perfect. It will be 30-40-50 years before we can rationally appraise his legacy. With the clarifying perspective of time only then can we determine whether peace on the island or a horrific property crash in a maturing nation has had a greater impact on lives here.

As humanity puts greater empasis on war and peace, I would wager that his legacy will be a positive one, although tainted with allegations of personal impropriety and his handling of the economy post 2003.

Bertie was a great leader. He won the elections. I know the opposition was weak but you can only beat what's in front of you.
    Watch out for the late posters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

The man did change the country, which is more than most (all?) posters on this forum have done.

Like every man, his legacy will be mixed as no one is perfect. It will be 30-40-50 years before we can rationally appraise his legacy. With the clarifying perspective of time only then can we determine whether peace on the island or a horrific property crash in a maturing nation has had a greater impact on lives here.

As humanity puts greater empasis on war and peace, I would wager that his legacy will be a positive one, although tainted with allegations of personal impropriety and his handling of the economy post 2003.

Yes, we heard the same about Haughey.
    His involvment in the peace process was no more than a caretaker role. All he needed do was smile along while the wrinkles were ironed out.
    The man looked after himself and his friends to the detriment of the country. He is a disgrace to Ireland and should in the least be ashamed of himself. I hope in years to come we see him behind bars.
    He is far from tainted, he is neck deep in slime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Could it be that he has had a whiff of the imminent publication of the Mahon report and he will not come out of it with smelling of roses? I suspect that may be/is a factor to his retiring and will not be pleasant reading for him or his cronies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

His involvment in the peace process was no more than a caretaker role. All he needed do was smile along while the wrinkles were ironed out.
    The man looked after himself and his friends to the detriment of the country. He is a disgrace to Ireland and should in the least be ashamed of himself. I hope in years to come we see him behind bars.

I think its widely acknowledged that he took a great interest and was hugely important in the peace process. He is a great negotiator, lets not forget he concluded the negotiations on the European Constitution, something which wasn't even expected of the Irish presidency.

He would be president of Europe today if it weren't for the questions the tribunals threw up about his personal finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Sad news in a way, as it's at least 20 years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Could it be that he has had a whiff of the imminent publication of the Mahon report and he will not come out of it with smelling of roses? I suspect that may be/is a factor to his retiring and will not be pleasant reading for him or his cronies.

I don't think that would have anything to do with his decision. Most taoisigh retire from the Dail once they resign from being Taoiseach. They are financially better off if they have retire and they have more spare time to write newspaper columns, books and give speeches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Hopefully some day i get my wish and ireland brings back execution. Bertie Ahern will be the first one I'm marching to the top of Croke Fcuking Patrick for a hanging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Hope he spends the final years of his life in a prison cell, unlikely as it may be in this two tier country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Wide Road

Bertie's mother died during the peace process and he showed his quality and steel by returning during this emotional heartbreak of losing a parent. The amount of lives that were saved cannot be over stated. Thanks Bertie for you and the ****in Peace Process

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

He would be president of Europe today if it weren't for the questions the tribunals threw up about his personal finances.

Hitler would've ruled the world were it not for the questions others threw up about his human rights record.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Pity he didn't step aside into a moving train!

What a toss*r

Still gets a fat pension & will have his Beamish & Dublin GAA jersey on him in with 'locals' in Drumcondra...:mad:

If FF get back in, it will be a sad day.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

****er should have retired 15 years ago.

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Beat me to it! :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I think its widely acknowledged that he took a great interest and was hugely important in the peace process. He is a great negotiator, lets not forget he concluded the negotiations on the European Constitution, something which wasn't even expected of the Irish presidency.

Do you seriously think he has any ethics? He in hindsight was a totally unsuitable candidate for the Presidency of Europe. What a lucky escape for us all. I dispute his contribution to the peace process as well. He just happened to be Taoiseach. If the IRA and the other parties were not interested in a deal it would not have happened no matter who was negotiating.....and Ahern is just a buffoon more like likely to start a row than cut a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

eigrod wrote: »
    His legacy to me will always be him telling people to go commit suicide. I hope he is comfortable with himself in the fact that many people did.

Hate him.

This was a dreadful comment he made, but one he apologised for.
    Do we really want a society where people are afraid of making a mistake that is never forgiven. If we do then nobody will ever take a chance. You cant judge years of work on a mistake and I sure hope mine working life is not remembered for one (of the many) mistakes I have made
    Perhaps you have good reason for feeling bitter because of the comments but do you really think he was telling people to go and commit suicide

Fitzerb wrote: »
    Do we really want a society where people are afraid of making a mistake that is never forgiven. If we do then nobody will ever take a chance. You cant judge years of work on a mistake and I sure hope mine working life is not remembered for one (of the many) mistakes I have made
    Perhaps you have good reason for feeling bitter because of the comments but do you really think he was telling people to go and commit suicide

Yes.

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »

More like if only he hadn't been elected in the first place back in 1977!

Ask the family members of George Colley about how ruthless he was even back then.

It would take Bertie a very long time if he was to start apologising for all he did wrong.:rolleyes: So, should we judge his many years of mistakes, greed, ( do i need to go on?) on the one apology he made?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

Hope he spends the final years of his life in a prison cell, unlikely as it may be in this two tier country!

Why would he spend time in Prision. What was he found guilty of.

Your reading the Daily Mail too much

Just resting in several accounts of course!

I don't read the Daily Mail, and i think prison is way too good for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Wide Road wrote: »
    Bertie's mother died during the peace process and he showed his quality and steel by returning during this emotional heartbreak of losing a parent. The amount of lives that were saved cannot be over stated. Thanks Bertie for you and the ****in Peace Process

More personal irrelevant tripe along the lines of Lenihan being sick. :rolleyes:

Are you somehow suggesting that if his mother hadn't died that Ahern wouldn't have ruined the economy and continued shaking hands with dodgy developers ?

Are you somehow suggesting that he wouldn't have had to appear in front of a tribunal (whose deadline for reporting expired early last year and which STILL isn't done for some inexplicable reason) ?

Maybe if Ahern HAD stepped aside because of the above it would have meant that someone competent and with their eye on the good of the country instead of their own pockets and fictional legacy might have taken over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The questions were entirely legitimate, his answers were not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭miseeire

If this cute hoor is elected president of Ireland,then Armageddon truly has arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The day when a man can't win a shedload of cash on a horse, run a country into the ground and tell his enemies to commit suicide is the day when the toilets stop flushing in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

eigrod wrote: »
    Hitler would've ruled the world were it not for the questions others threw up about his human rights record.

Don't go there.

Perhaps you could contribute to a debate instead of eulogising the worthless toerag. :rolleyes:

Where have I eulogised him? On the contrary I've provided a more balanced opinion where people here seem intent on deamonising him. Like every leader and man, he is flawed. Whether his work and achievements outweigh the damage his flaws have done to the country remains to be seen. When you rush to judgement you invariably come to the wrong conclusion.

In my opinion peace is more important than an economy as you can't have an economy without peace. For that reason I believe his legacy will be largely positive or at least mixed. Historians will not paint him as the villian he is protrayed as on these boards.

Advertisement