Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother gives birth in airport toilet, strangles baby & then takes next flight out

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Maybe the woman had the baby blues to make her react like she did. Or else very traumatised that she went into labour earlier than she expected. She could have left the country a good while ago like or did the unthinkable and just abort it if it was going to cause her that much grief. Something bad could have happend to her that she didn't want the baby to remind her of it. Tough case I'd imaigne when it comes court.

Very sad indeed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Two words to those outraged at the UAE:

Ann Lovett

Who died, alone, in childbirth under the grotto of the virgin Mary in Granard, Longford in 1984. Just one generation ago people. Ireland was one of the most socially backward countries in Europe right up until the mid 1990s.

There's another angle to this sad story that hasn't been discussed. The woman in question is believed to be Ethiopian. In the UAE, many domestic staff such as maids and servants come from desperately poor Islamic countries like Ethopia, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Many of them are treated apallingly - really kept as prisoners, physically and sexually abused and essentially treated as slaves.

For all we know, that baby could gave been the product of rape by the woman's employer and she felt trapped and desperate. To me, this is a sad story of an act of desperation caused by a culture not only of fundamentalist religion, but of the most vile exploitation of humans.

If only selfish and ignorant Westerners who holiday and do business there were more aware of the true nature of places like the UAE.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

The poor little innocent mite, its an awful tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Sad story. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Jeze that's an awful sad story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Babies make lots of noise. The baby would have been found a lot quicker and an alert would have been raised much sooner.

WTF

Of course they do(make a lot of noise) with a cloth pulled tight around their neck. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

JupiterKid wrote: »
    If only selfish and ignorant Westerners who holiday and do business there were more aware of the true nature of places like the UAE.

+1

Even in sophisticated enlightened modern tolerant social societies like Ireland and most other countries in the EU, people lived like animals only a few hundred years ago. In many muslim / deprived / poor countries people still live like animals today. Saw a documentary on the discovery channel today. After a major kill by lions, all the adult males eat first until they are satisfied. Then the adult females eat until they are satisfied (if they are lucky). The left overs are for the kids. Most kids don't make it and die of starvation. The adults don't give a flying fook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Sickening..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Lone Stone wrote: »
    wtf did she have to kill the baby why not just leave the kid in the airport :confused: either way thats just a bit to fkd up. poor kid.
    Babies make lots of noise. The baby would have been found a lot quicker and an alert would have been raised much sooner.
    old_aussie wrote: »
    WTF

Of course they do(make a lot of noise) with a cloth pulled tight around their neck. :rolleyes:

Why the :rolleyes:?

Lone Stone asked why did she have to kill the baby and not just leave it alive somewhere and I was putting forward one reason as to her thinking. I didn't say I condoned it. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

There is no excuse for that. She should have done the three years if that was the case, a childs life is worth more than 3 years in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Even in sophisticated enlightened modern tolerant social societies like Ireland and most other countries in the EU, people lived like animals only a few hundred years ago. In many muslim / deprived / poor countries people still live like animals today. Saw a documentary on the discovery channel today. After a major kill by lions, all the adult males eat first until they are satisfied. Then the adult females eat until they are satisfied (if they are lucky). The left overs are for the kids. Most kids don't make it and die of starvation. The adults don't give a flying fook.

I'm confused. Was this a documentary about lions? The adult lions ate first, and didn't give a fook about the infant lions? What exactly does that have to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Two words to those outraged at the UAE:

Ann Lovett

Who died, alone, in childbirth under the grotto of the virgin Mary in Granard, Longford in 1984. Just one generation ago people. Ireland was one of the most socially backward countries in Europe right up until the mid 1990s.

There's another angle to this sad story that hasn't been discussed. The woman in question is believed to be Ethiopian. In the UAE, many domestic staff such as maids and servants come from desperately poor Islamic countries like Ethopia, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Many of them are treated apallingly - really kept as prisoners, physically and sexually abused and essentially treated as slaves.

For all we know, that baby could gave been the product of rape by the woman's employer and she felt trapped and desperate. To me, this is a sad story of an act of desperation caused by a culture not only of fundamentalist religion, but of the most vile exploitation of humans.

So you throw Ann Lovett in the face of those outraged at the UAE, and then proceed to be outraged at the UAE?!

Ireland was a very backward nation 20 years ago. I doubt anybody would deny that. But we've moved on immesurably since then, and whilst there's still scope for further liberalisation, nobody could seriously compare Ireland in 1985 with Ireland in 2010. And people should stop dragging up horror stories from the past to berate contemporary Irish people, when they express revulsion at acts such as that described above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Thread title should be changed. This person certainly was not a mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

muslims, some fu||ked up religion...

What the woman done is against Islam. Also there is nothing in the article to prove she was a Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

How is it the fault of the country she lived in? She was immoral by the laws of her land, and murdered a baby.

It's always someone else's fault.

Oh, and had it happened here she would have been absolved on "mental health" grounds.

You sound very confident that she became pregnant through no coercion or force. Also, she may have been absolved here if her mental health was in fact questionable at the time of the killing. You're presuming to know a lot about the woman in your post, tbh, which hasn't been verified.

What the woman done is against Islam. Also there is nothing in the article to prove she was a Muslim.

I think the poster was referring to the religion of the UAE. Tbh, I think UAE's appalling human rights abuses have less to do with a particular religion and more to do with having anything they can attach their zeal to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Seems she was trying to get out of Dubai and if she hadn't gone into labour before her flight, all would have been well and the baby would be alive.

Fucking backward countries need to get their heads out of their arses in this world.

Source
    i think we all knew she was black before we opened the thread. horrible horrible story................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I feel so sick after reading it. Horrible disgusting woman :mad: She should be shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

God above, how awful. RIP

• Advertisement

digme wrote: »
    i think we all knew she was black before we opened the thread. horrible horrible story................

What?!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Soul Stretcher

I think it is sickening that some people here are calling for the mother to be shot/killed - a bit extreme no ?

God knows what kind of life this African lady had in UAE... it is probably safe to assume she was in a menial occupation rather than an executive-type job. We don't know how she got pregnant and who the dad is.

We just don't know A LOT - so please keep your rash judgements to yourself.

Has anyone here being in a position where the best course of action seemed to be to murder your new-born child and throw them in a rubbish bin in a toilet ?

No ? Then please shut it as regards calling for the death of the Mother.

Leave that to places like UAE.

Sorry but my blood is boiling here at the lack of compassion for the Mother.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

One of the most sickening stories I've ever read.
    The Mother will have been suffering from a mental illness I'd say,
    No stable human being would do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

digme wrote: »

"we" knew or thought no such thing. Don't project your narrow minded ignorance on the rest of us.

Advertisement