Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother gives birth in airport toilet, strangles baby & then takes next flight out

Options
  • 29-12-2010 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

Seems she was trying to get out of Dubai and if she hadn't gone into labour before her flight, all would have been well and the baby would be alive.

Fucking backward countries need to get their heads out of their arses in this world.
    Mother gives birth in airport toilet, strangles the baby, dumps its corpse in a bin... then catches flight out.

A woman gave birth in an airport toilet before strangling the newborn baby and dumping its tiny corpse in a rubbish bin.
    The mother - believed to be Ethiopian and in her thirties - caught a flight before the infant's body was discovered by a cleaner at Dubai International Airport.

She was identified using security camera footage and is being hunted by police.

The woman allegedly severed the baby boy's umbilical cord with her bare hands and strangled him with a cloth before dumping him.

The newborn baby was discovered still alive in a rubbish bin in a women's toilet at Dubai International Airport

The infant was discovered when a woman passenger informed one of the airport's cleaners about a pool of blood in the bathroom.

Traces of blood led to the bin where the baby was found, soaked in blood, tied up with his umbilical cord in a tightly wrapped plastic bag.

The boy was still gasping for breath but a rescue team and volunteers could not revive him.
    'At around 3.35am I went to the toilet to clean up the blood around a toilet bowl,' the cleaner told the Khaleej Times newspaper.

'After that I decided to empty the waste bin which was covered with paper rolls.

'When I lifted it I found it to be a little heavier, so I got curious and started removing the tissue papers.

'I was stunned to see a baby all blue on the face and gasping for breath.'

It is unclear whether the woman was a UAE resident, tourist or passenger in transit.

A security source said it appeared the woman had strangled the infant, whose body was undergoing further tests.

'Most likely the woman wanted to get rid of the baby as it was a child outside wedlock,' said the source. 'It seems that the woman had intended to leave the UAE before the delivery but was faced with a different reality in the airport.'

Having a sexual relationship or a child outside wedlock are criminal offences in the UAE that carry sentences of up to three years in prison.
    Many unmarried women who become pregnant choose either to leave the country or abandon the youngster.

A total of 17 children were abandoned in the first eight months of 2008, according to the most recent statistics available from Dubai's Ministry of Social Affairs.

It is not known how many newborns are killed or die after being abandoned.

Source

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Read that in the Times.
    A very sad and depressing thing to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

The whole story is horrendous :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Fúck. Nasty from all angles. She should obviously be held responsible but the uae needs to be bombed back to the stone age. Oh wait. They're already there. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Nevore wrote: »
    Fúck. Nasty from all angles. She should obviously be held responsible but the uae needs to be bombed back to the stone age. Oh wait. They're already there. :(

Er quite the opposite really, they need to be booted forward to the 21st century.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That's just insane. Pretty sick story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Jesus! :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

i wish i never read that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Having a sexual relationship or a child outside wedlock are criminal offences in the UAE that carry sentences of up to three years in prison.
    Many unmarried women who become pregnant choose either to leave the country or abandon the youngster.
    Never thought there were places in the year 2010 that are still more backward than Ireland of the 50's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Society here had the magdalene laundries, religon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Shocking stuff.

What's the chances this was an act of desperation to avoid dealing with backwards religious laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This is one of those stories that truly leaves you lost for words. A defenseless little infant disposed of like a piece of rubbish. God help humanity is all I can say really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

galwayrush wrote: »
    Society here had the magdalene laundries, religon :(

Had indeed, and I'm well aware of it. But these muppets in the UAE are still partying like its 1699. Shows that in both cases religion is detrimental to the advancement of society as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Hard to imagine someone doing that. Putting their own life ahead of their little babies like that. If it was a choice of killing one of my kids or allowing myself to be killed, id happily walk to the gallows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

How is it the fault of the country she lived in? She was immoral by the laws of her land, and murdered a baby.

It's always someone else's fault.

Oh, and had it happened here she would have been absolved on "mental health" grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I remember working in an office when a colleague announced she was pregnant and was fired the same day. 1985 I believe in London. Things have moved on considerably since then, thank goodness.

Not all of the world moves at the same pace as us 'westerners'. They will eventually and they will look back at themselves like we do and feel shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Don´t know why anybody would ever want to go to the absolute backwards shiite hole that is the UAE.... Pointless "country", ridiculous islam-based laws, totalitarian dump.
    3 years ago I was offered more than twice my salary to transfer there with work and I told them to take a short walk off a long pier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I remember working in an office when a colleague announced she was pregnant and was fired the same day. 1985 I believe in London.

Kudos! Never been fired for knocking up a co-worker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Nevore wrote: »

muslims, some fu||ked up religion...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

muslims, some fu||ked up religion...

Yep, good thing no people are driven to extremes in similar circumstances by other religions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Knepper

i'd say judge not lest ye be judged but i'd be passing judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

That's awful! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sickening to hear. All I can think about is the defenseless baby being killed. The woman should be thrown to the wolves, or I suppose the hyenas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Refugee from RealLife

Nothing ever happens in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Never thought there were places in the year 2010 that are still more backward than Ireland of the 50's.

Surely you mean Ireland of 1984-2005?

Ann Lovett

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

wtf did she have to kill the baby why not just leave the kid in the airport :confused: either way thats just a bit to fkd up. poor kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Lone Stone wrote: »
    wtf did she have to kill the baby why not just leave the kid in the airport :confused: either way thats just a bit to fkd up. poor kid.

Its entirely fucked up, however the woman may have been irrational. As she hasn't been caught, theres only speculation as to regards her motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Seriously those laws need to be changed! Very unfair. The mother could just have left the country with the baby or at least kept the child alive! Horrible thing to do to a new born child. How many people long for one and a woman like that goes on to do what she did, is beyond me. She will probably get prosecuted either way. Shame though, its not a crime to have sex/baby outside of wedlock anywhere else except those countries. Crazy. Could have been another reason for it happening though...something more serious you wouldn't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Lone Stone wrote: »

Babies make lots of noise. The baby would have been found a lot quicker and an alert would have been raised much sooner.

Advertisement