Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro bowl

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Happy for Billy Cundiff getting the AFC spot for kicker. Not high profile or big name recognition so I didn't think he'd get it was pleasantly surprised

A journeyman for a number of years but he's found a home and I would think there will be a nice multi year contract this offseason for him

Yes, I was wonder how Peyton Hillis got left out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

jdivision wrote: »
    I might be wrong but didn't he play nickle a lot early on cos he couldn't cover outside with his injuries

No, played outside all the time. He was injured in the Hawks game and played outside against the Phins and struggled in that game. After that he stayed on the outside all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Says a lot when our player of the year doesn't get picked. He thoroughly deserves to be there.

Peyton-Hillis.jpg

Stev_o wrote: »
    Peyton Hillis must be wondering what he did wrong not to get selected.

Having less rushing yards, less YPC(joint with MJD), and less receiving yards then the other 3 guys should put an end to his wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Having less rushing yards, less YPC(joint with MJD), and less receiving yards then the other 3 guys should put an end to his wondering.

Better blocker,done it in a division with the Steelers and Ravens and imo,had a tougher schedule,as he also had Patriots,Jets,Falcons and Saints, and out of the 4,is in the worst team and where he's really the only threat on offense.

I couldn't choose between the 4 of them anyway.One of them is going to feel hard done by,if they're left out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ray Lewis getting on it is another joke, he has been very average this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Hillis will get in. The Pro Bowl isn't worth worrying about anymore cos of all the pull outs. There's guys who were there last year who are frankly poor.
    But then on the other hand Jason Peters gets in year after year and he hasn't played well for probably three seasons now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Peters is the worst selection of all. I thought Andy would be able to motivate him but he hasn't. Guy has all the talent in the world and worked really hard to from being a undrafted te to one of the top LTs in football but once he made it he didn't give a damn.

Peters and Shaun Andrews talentwise could have been the most dominant bookends in the league...

I haven't watched as much football this year (hence I seem to have been wrong against Aso) but the NFC tackles imo should have been Penn and Saffold and AN Other
    EDIT: Profootballfocus say Kareem McKenzie should have been named to it and that's good enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

jdivision wrote: »
    The Pro Bowl isn't worth worrying about anymore cos of all the pull outs

The Pro Bowl isnt worth anything because fans get to vote for the players. No offence to all of us fans but it really is a case of I want my teams starting QB etc to start in the Pro Bowl. Thats how you get so many unworthy players playing in the game. To be a Pro Bowler used to mean something, now its a pretty meaningless accolade.

• Advertisement

Well player votes count too, which means it's more reliable than the NBA version, but a lot of the players just decide to vote for the same player between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Come on Chucky he's on one of the worst teams in the NFL. He' is there only threat on the field just look at the stats. Their leading receiver is a TE which indicates how lethargic this offence is. Hillis is second on the top receiving list with 300 yards behind Watson and only 1 less reception.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Come on Chucky he's on one of the worst teams in the NFL. He' is there only threat on the field just look at the stats. Their leading receiver is a TE which indicates how lethargic this offence is. Hillis is second on the top receiving list with 300 yards behind Watson and only 1 less reception.

He certainly doesn't deserve to go ahead of the leagues leading rusher and the guy who set the record for highest YPC ever. He can argue his case over MJD, but I think McFadden should have went ahead of both Hillis and MJD. He had a great season, so did 4 other RB's so two were going to lose out, unfortunate he did but some people act as if he was robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He certainly doesn't deserve to go ahead of the leagues leading rusher and the guy who set the record for highest YPC ever. He can argue his case over MJD, but I think McFadden should have went ahead of both Hillis and MJD. He had a great season, so did 4 other RB's so two were going to lose out, unfortunate he did but some people act as if he was robbed.
    I gotta say that if I was asked out straight who should be going to the probowl at running back from the AFC the first names into my head would be Jamaal Charles and Darren McFadden, and Arian Foster after that. And then MJD. Peyton Hillis had a great season for the Browns but he wouldn't be in the running for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

titan18 wrote: »

Mathis.Mario Williams should be there ahead of him.
    Williams had half the number of tackles and 3 less sacks than Mathis. And he's on a losing team.

What would your logic be?

davyjose wrote: »
    Williams had half the number of tackles and 3 less sacks than Mathis. And he's on a losing team.

What would your logic be?

Mathis is **** against the run.Williams ain't.Also,Mathis has Freeney on the opposite side, easier for him to get to the QB than Williams.

Mathis is **** against the run.Williams ain't.Also,Mathis has Freeney on the opposite side, easier for him to get to the QB than Williams.

Most of the success teams get in the running game against the colts is up the middle. Freeney and mathis aren't on the team for their ability to stop the run, no doubt, but you don't get nearly 60 tackles without being able to stop a running back. Bullsh!t on that one. The Colts run d does not hinge on their DE's, nor should it. We've one quality linebacker and are paying sanders 7 million a year to lie in bed.

As for your other point, Mathis has outperformed Freeney this season. The guy doesn't get nearly enough credit because he's only the second best DE on his team. He'd still walk into any team in the NFL though.

Most of the success teams get in the running game against the colts is up the middle. Freeney and mathis aren't on the team for their ability to stop the run, no doubt, but you don't get nearly 60 tackles without being able to stop a running back. Bullsh!t on that one. The Colts run d does not hinge on their DE's, nor should it. We've one quality linebacker and are paying sanders 7 million a year to lie in bed.

As for your other point, Mathis has outperformed Freeney this season. The guy doesn't get nearly enough credit because he's only the second best DE on his team. He'd still walk into any team in the NFL though.

Doesn't matter if the success happens up the middle,if someone runs against Mathis, or if someone runs against Williams,running backs perform better against Mathis than against Williams.

Freeney and Mathis may be on the team to rush the passer, but a good DE should be able to do both.Look at the likes of Cole and Peppers in the NFC, both of them are great at rushing the passer and stopping the run.Mathis isn't.He's a good pass rusher, but he's not good at stopping the run.

Also,tackle numbers are stupid.You can point out that he has loads of tackles but if he's getting moved by linemen easily,he isn't doing his job well.

The number 1 role of a DE is to rush the passer. number 2, prevent the RB going outside. Mathis is excellent in both these aspects of the game. In the Colts' system it's predominantly the role of the Tackles to prevent holes being made for the opposing RB (we'll never play 3-4 .... Eveerrr)!

Williams is excellent, but tbh, Mathis is an easy target. Like I said, he's outperformed Freeney this year. But IMO you don't have the balls to make a Freeney Versus Williams argument, so you're taking the easy route and picking out Mathis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Williams is a better player but he didn't have as good a year as Mathis. Now some of that would be due to Williams playing hurt for most of the season but that doesn't matter in this regard.

Like a lot of speed rushers Mathis is considered to be weak against the run when they really aren't. Their job is to contain not necessarily stop the guy. It's a matter of assignments. (not that they shouldn't stop the guy if they can)

Mathis deserves to go to the Pro Bowl 100% imo.

• Advertisement

The number 1 role of a DE is to rush the passer. number 2, prevent the RB going outside. Mathis is excellent in both these aspects of the game. In the Colts' system it's predominantly the role of the Tackles to prevent holes being made for the opposing RB (we'll never play 3-4 .... Eveerrr)!

Williams is excellent, but tbh, Mathis is an easy target. Like I said, he's outperformed Freeney this year. But IMO you don't have the balls to make a Freeney Versus Williams argument, so you're taking the easy route and picking out Mathis.

Mathis isn't excellent at number 2.Doesn't need to be a 3-4 for the DEs to do well against the run.Look at Cole,Peppers,Williams,Suggs,Clemons,Johnson.There's a bunch of DEs in 4-3s who are great against the run,and plenty of them are better against the run than what they do against the pass.

I don't think Mathis has outperformed Freeney this year.If I thought Freeney was ****,I'd pick him out on it.He isn't ****,and has played quite well this year.I've nothing against him being in the pro bowl.

Mathis isn't excellent at number 2.Doesn't need to be a 3-4 for the DEs to do well against the run.Look at Cole,Peppers,Williams,Suggs,Clemons,Johnson.There's a bunch of DEs in 4-3s who are great against the run,and plenty of them are better against the run than what they do against the pass.

I don't think Mathis has outperformed Freeney this year.If I thought Freeney was ****,I'd pick him out on it.He isn't ****,and has played quite well this year.I've nothing against him being in the pro bowl.

He is. You don't seem to be reading what I'm writing. RB's rarely make gains around the outside - almost never. they run straight through, and that's where yards are found. Watch a Colts game once in a while.

My point about 3-4 is that the DE's need to take on much more of a blocking role. With 2 tackles, the DE's a freed up. But you seem to be confusing this because you say he's poor against the run, when in reality he isn't.

He is. You don't seem to be reading what I'm writing. RB's rarely make gains around the outside - almost never. they run straight through, and that's where yards are found. Watch a Colts game once in a while.

My point about 3-4 is that the DE's need to take on much more of a blocking role. With 2 tackles, the DE's a freed up. But you seem to be confusing this because you say he's poor against the run, when in reality he isn't.

For some reason,you brought 3-4 in it.Obviously,I know that a 3-4 DE has to focus on the run.Just cos a DE is in the 4-3 and his primary role is rushing the passer,doesn't mean he can't do well against the pass aswell.What happens is that Mathis,as a product of his play,(and he's a fantastic edge rusher), is that when he goes on the edge,a good T can push him out of the way,and create a huge hole for the RB.

Mathis is a good player,but due to the way he plays,he can get beaten on the run,if a RB tries to run around him,I agree,he does well.He's a fast guy and his speed allows him to make plays.This is how he plays.It's where his strength is.I'm sure you notice that when he rushes,he rushes on the outside,the vast majority of his time,and rarely rushes inside the T.When,it works,due to his speed,it's great.When it doesnt,like I said above,the T can push him around,and if it's a running play,it creates a big hole for the RB,and you're hoping the LB covers it.

On Freeney,he's better against the run imo, and due to his spin move, he can cause way more problems for tackles.

On Williams,he played hurt a lot of the year,so probably wouldnt even play in the pro bowl anyway, but imo, he was better than Mathis.Mathis is better against the pass(marginally imo), but Williams is a good bit better against the run, and this is with Williams being the only thing on the Texans line you need to worry about.Smith on the other side,isn't going to terrify tackles like Freeney does for the Colts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Would have thought Hakeem Nicks and Josh Freeman would have got the nod. Shame. Although the game is usually a sh!t fest anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yeah I would have liked McFadden to get in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

The Pro Bowl is a joke, I don't even bother watching it most years.
    The more popular teams always get a few players in, usually on the line-men spots. Another year another worthless game with no defence because the rules tie there hands behind there back so that the quaterbacks can make a few highlights.
    Save the blitz, boycott the Pro Bowl.
    Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Starts in 20 mins. Not the biggest fan of it but at least there's some football on tv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Currently, players are voted into the Pro Bowl by the coaches, the players themselves, and the fans. Each group's ballots count for one third of the votes. The fans vote online at the NFL's official website.

Might be unpopular but it might be better if they took the fans vote away.
    As fans often vote for their own players or just go on name recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

SantryRed wrote: »
    Starts in 20 mins. Not the biggest fan of it but at least there's some football on tv!

At least there is something to watch anyway. Hopefully a few big plays, kick & punt returns or a few trick plays for our entertainment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nice bounch for the NFC on the punt. Hopefully it's some bit of a game.

Advertisement