Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours of study??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

a lot of work cut out for myself.:rolleyes:
    Does'nt a women come up nearly every year?
    I've heard from a few peoples grinds teacher saying certain poets most defitetly wont come up.I'm afraid I can't remember which he said either but yeah,can't exactly chance one over the other coming up.

i dont know why they keep going on about yeats coming up, apparently he only popped up twice in the whole Leaving cert program and one was last year.

patrick kavanagh FTW i say :pac: his stuff is so so handy.

also for my comparision we did the kite runner, lies of silence and the constant gardener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Hmm puurhaps :) Thanks for sharing the wealth ;)
    8 hmm not so bad, but then 8 x 4 poems each = 32 poems..Yeah,I've got a lot of work cut out for myself.:rolleyes:
    Does'nt a women come up nearly every year?
    I've heard from a few peoples grinds teacher saying certain poets most defitetly wont come up.I'm afraid I can't remember which he said either but yeah,can't exactly chance one over the other coming up.

hahaha u're preaching to the choir,however I have managed to get up at 12 but still bed after 2am..dont feel to chirpy in the morning and it just repeats then because I wouldnt be tired until 2 ish. But 4 haha I remember thoose days,used to hate it do,felt like such a waste of a day when I woke up.Not saying your wasting your days :p:D I just to be addicted to the sims pc games back in JC years,so come xmas I would be glued to the screen.

Greensleeves as in the classical piece?
    hahaha that is rather caming and soothing.
    I have RHCP Torture Me,the bass never fails to wake me.Except during school days,I struggle to get up for 8.45 no matter what time I go to sleep!:)

Not a bother, don't believe in keeping stuff for myself,
    Then I can't hold it against the person if they do well because of it,
    Like constantly having one over on them, I think in the long run :cool:
    Theres a high chance like being 3 women I think,
    Wouldnt try to predict anything though, after the Boland Scare of 2010 :P
    Think Boland will come up this year though :P
    Actually last night, had a plan...
    Watch Cars at 7, take a break, watch B.F.Q.O.T.Y, now its 12.
    Piss around on laptop for a bit and fall asleep... My Plan.
    Ended up pissing around on laptop for more than a bit, 3 and a half hours to be precise. Then went to turn everything off and made to go to sleep.
    Then just as I was about to turn laptop off remembered I had films on it...
    Good films...
    So I watched Sherlock Holmes on impulse, that took me through to about 7...
    Then the sky was red outside... didnt trust it, so stayed awake til it turned blue (about 8ish) then went to go to sleep... woke about half 3 ish again...
    If it was a schoolday I'd be finished in ten minutes.. :P
    Distracted isnt the word... stupid perhaps.. :X
    Like Sims, got brother the game for Christmas... poor lad :)

It is indeed, when I'm wide awake... :P
    Will change it back to my old one,
    "Darkness-Christmas Time (Don't let the bells end)
    Was my ring tone too for entirety of last year...
    Got some looks :)

Must get back into routine.. :X
    4 O clock again... :S
    Mleuh :S

Mousey- wrote: »
    same here, want to go to college, have no idea what for. first choice on the CAO dosnt really matter, so im sending in random courses, theres a change of mind option later on.

my principal keeps going on about doing 4 hours of study a night, friday off and then 4 saturday and suday. :eek:

Plan to do the same,
    Few random stabs in the dark,
    Maybe try to find the field I want to go into...
    Thats about it though,
    Cant see past my hand at this stage,
    Will talk to a few teachers when I get back to school.

With Homework I wouldnt be able to fit in 4 hours of study a night,
    Not a hope unless I don't eat or sleep..

Mousey- wrote: »
    i dont know why they keep going on about yeats coming up, apparently he only popped up twice in the whole Leaving cert program and one was last year.

patrick kavanagh FTW i say :pac: his stuff is so so handy.

also for my comparision we did the kite runner, lies of silence and the constant gardener.

Love Patrick Kavanagh to come up,
    Or Robert Frost,
    Mainly Kavanagh though,
    Got an A1 essay write up on him already :D
    Comp here was Lies of Silence/Il Postino (which Ive missed :S) and Dancing at Lughnasa... An odd bunch alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

We are doing My Sister's Keeper and the Kite Runner and she has yet to decide on the film. I had read them both before but they're really doable to be honest if anyone is stuck. Summaries on MSK for our Eng homework, she's a smart woman as you get stuck into doing one and next thing you're studying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

We are doing My Sister's Keeper and the Kite Runner and she has yet to decide on the film. I had read them both before but they're really doable to be honest if anyone is stuck. Summaries on MSK for our Eng homework, she's a smart woman as you get stuck into doing one and next thing you're studying!

:( wish we were doing My Sisters Keeper! Savage book! I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Don't decide in advance which subjects you are not counting! I kind of did that, saying that I wouldn't be counting Irish and French before I even sat the exams. As it turned out, one exam didn't go as well as expected (Physics) and I ended up counting my Irish HL grade. Had I got one grade lower in Irish, I wouldn't be in the course that I am now - which I love! The course has nothing to do with Irish, but if I completely gave up on studying Irish because I thought I wasn't going to count it, I wouldn't be in my course now.

So true. I totally winged it in German, having given up any study of it months before to concentrate on other subjects, but somehow managed to come out of it with a B2, making it count as my 6th subject. Am now regretting not doing anything for it, 600 would've been nice, and in retrospect an A1 must've been achievable... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

Not a bother, don't believe in keeping stuff for myself,
    Then I can't hold it against the person if they do well because of it,
    Like constantly having one over on them, I think in the long run :cool:
    Theres a high chance like being 3 women I think,
    Wouldnt try to predict anything though, after the Boland Scare of 2010 :P
    Think Boland will come up this year though :P
    Actually last night, had a plan...
    Watch Cars at 7, take a break, watch B.F.Q.O.T.Y, now its 12.
    Piss around on laptop for a bit and fall asleep... My Plan.
    Ended up pissing around on laptop for more than a bit, 3 and a half hours to be precise. Then went to turn everything off and made to go to sleep.
    Then just as I was about to turn laptop off remembered I had films on it...
    Good films...
    So I watched Sherlock Holmes on impulse, that took me through to about 7...
    Then the sky was red outside... didnt trust it, so stayed awake til it turned blue (about 8ish) then went to go to sleep... woke about half 3 ish again...
    If it was a schoolday I'd be finished in ten minutes.. :P
    Distracted isnt the word... stupid perhaps.. :X
    Like Sims, got brother the game for Christmas... poor lad :)

It is indeed, when I'm wide awake... :P
    Will change it back to my old one,
    "Darkness-Christmas Time (Don't let the bells end)
    Was my ring tone too for entirety of last year...
    Got some looks :)

Must get back into routine.. :X
    4 O clock again... :S
    Mleuh :S

That's good,your not one of thoose information withholding scrooges :D Me neither!haha nice way of looking at it!:)

Oh gawd,I hate Boland, soooo boring,the women had no excitement in her life at all.But as my old teacher used to say,lie :) haha I love Boland,her poetry TOTALLY appeals to me in ever sense of being a women :X :L

Haha gotta love thoose plans,that never work.I had one before not quite so drastic, but come home study first,hw, then relax.I kind of did it backwards minus the study.But yes,I think I will do what someone suggested, 2 hours Mon,Tue,Wed,Thur enjoy the long weekend.See how that goes.If that is'nt cutting it for me,then I'l change up the routine.Because to be fair,I don't have a structured permanent routine I worship and I never will.But 2 hours sounds managable with hw and having an hour to myself to do what I want.

haha that is a good film,awfully long too. 7 am,omg ure eyes must be square!!!hahahaha didnt trust the sky :L Blue = safe to go to sleep XD
    Your crazy!!Your bingeing on entertainment :P Yeah,I've been up since 11 ish.Have'nt done much constructive.But I should start my project at 4.Like yesterday :) and everything will be fine haha :)

I should really throw in some study over the next few days.Can't wait to listen to the teachers speelin' their ''if u didnt study blaa blaa blaa but to thoose of u who did blaaedy blaa''.I sometimes wonder why teachers stress out so much.I mean in Uni or college they wont give a fup what u do.

haha yeah I can imagine :L
    I change my alarm regualary,I tend to become acustumed to the sound of it and sleep straight through it!!Not fun.
    hahaha come monday morning u will be forced to change your routine!!Quite abruptly too!Its hard to break the cycle alright :) :pac:

That's good,your not one of thoose information withholding scrooges :D Me neither!haha nice way of looking at it!:)

Oh gawd,I hate Boland, soooo boring,the women had no excitement in her life at all.But as my old teacher used to say,lie :) haha I love Boland,her poetry TOTALLY appeals to me in ever sense of being a women :X :L

Haha gotta love thoose plans,that never work.I had one before not quite so drastic, but come home study first,hw, then relax.I kind of did it backwards minus the study.But yes,I think I will do what someone suggested, 2 hours Mon,Tue,Wed,Thur enjoy the long weekend.See how that goes.If that is'nt cutting it for me,then I'l change up the routine.Because to be fair,I don't have a structured permanent routine I worship and I never will.But 2 hours sounds managable with hw and having an hour to myself to do what I want.

haha that is a good film,awfully long too. 7 am,omg ure eyes must be square!!!hahahaha didnt trust the sky :L Blue = safe to go to sleep XD
    Your crazy!!Your bingeing on entertainment :P Yeah,I've been up since 11 ish.Have'nt done much constructive.But I should start my project at 4.Like yesterday :) and everything will be fine haha :)

I should really throw in some study over the next few days.Can't wait to listen to the teachers speelin' their ''if u didnt study blaa blaa blaa but to thoose of u who did blaaedy blaa''.I sometimes wonder why teachers stress out so much.I mean in Uni or college they wont give a fup what u do.

haha yeah I can imagine :L
    I change my alarm regualary,I tend to become acustumed to the sound of it and sleep straight through it!!Not fun.
    hahaha come monday morning u will be forced to change your routine!!Quite abruptly too!Its hard to break the cycle alright :) :pac:

Haven't done her yet, don't think we are either though..
    Tough to lie for 4/5 pages though :rolleyes:

Sound good now that one I read earlier,
    Probably on this thread, found it :)
    Dyflin wrote: »
    The best bit of advice I got re. hours of study sadly came too late for my LC, but in college instead.

Do two hours work on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Friday is a rest day, you've worked hard all week. Saturday night is for enjoying yourself and Sunday is depressing enough without adding to it.

I am eternally grateful to the lecturer who imparted that advice, I qualified with distinction!
    This sounds like the kind of plan I could stick to :)
    Rectangle but if anyone asks, books are rectangles too :)
    Everything is rectangular actually!
    Mind blown now..
    Yeah did looked scary like, dark crimson/maroonish and it was like that for so long! I do Geography like and I think the correct description for it is "An ungodly demon from below trying to break the boundary between his world and ours which can only be completed if a tired schoolboy whos stayed up all night doing nothing instead of study falls asleep."
    Thought it best if I stayed awake... for mankind's sake like...

I think setting the alarm will be my first step,
    I'll build on it from there,
    It's a big step for me because I'm a massive fan of sleep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rage against the leaving

On a break for a few days.....

But next week planning to get back into 2-3 hrs a night and build up to around 4 for the mocks.

Aiming for :

Maths H A2
    English H B2
    Irish O .....
    French O C1
    Geography H B1
    Business H A1
    Chemistry H B2
    Applied maths H B2
    Lcvp C Merit

Business by far my easiest subject and putting a good bit of work in. Doing a lot of Maths and Applied aswell (teaching myself). Chemistry could be the downfall of the lot, horrible subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm still not sure what I want to do, I'm not sure whether I should do a lot more study (well I probably should but I don't know if it's necessary)

I do study after school for 2 hours but that includes homework and I do a small bit of other stuff but nothing major. And I've struggled to getting around to doing anything during Christmas.

I'm most worried about Maths and Physics, simply because of the size of the courses. And the French oral because I'm not very good at that.

I suppose I'll start picking it up as the mocks approach and see what happens. I mean it's impossible to tell what the Christmas tests mean in terms of the whole thing, so I'm kinda glad the mocks are early.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

You can just get away with doing 5 poets, my teacher said if you did 4 you'd be very unlucky to not have at least one come up. I did three and was fortunate one of my poets came up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Doing five seems the sensible thing to do really. I mean it's not like doing 8 gives you a real edge, just possibly more choice which with me is usually a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

My Eng. teacher is an idiot; she's covering 8 poets with us saying that "Literature is to be enjoyed, not left out because you don't have to do it". Absolute nonsense; you only need 5 poets. On the paper there has to be at least 1 woman and at least 1 Irish poet, so I'm thinkin to study Eavan Boland, Emily Dickenson, Patrick Kavangh anyway, not sure for the other two.

As for study, really need to get my act together and do more. Anyone else find that making your own notes is much better than using revision books?

Haven't done her yet, don't think we are either though..
    Tough to lie for 4/5 pages though :rolleyes:

Sound good now that one I read earlier,
    Probably on this thread, found it :)

This sounds like the kind of plan I could stick to :)
    Rectangle but if anyone asks, books are rectangles too :)
    Everything is rectangular actually!
    Mind blown now..
    Yeah did looked scary like, dark crimson/maroonish and it was like that for so long! I do Geography like and I think the correct description for it is "An ungodly demon from below trying to break the boundary between his world and ours which can only be completed if a tired schoolboy whos stayed up all night doing nothing instead of study falls asleep."
    Thought it best if I stayed awake... for mankind's sake like...

I think setting the alarm will be my first step,
    I'll build on it from there,
    It's a big step for me because I'm a massive fan of sleep :)

Yeah,it sure is.But I can be a very convincing lier when I have to be.Muahaha.

Well,thank you for saving Mankind,was ever so kind of you!:L :L
    Rectangles..yes,i like the way u think Martin,Books are rectangular so study plan should be rectanglular...like with like eh.Even my study timebleIe will be rectangular along with my a4 pad.I'll stop now,getting carried away with the possibilites.:rolleyes: must put that plan into action as of Monday,the forthcoming weeks and months of my life are therefore going to be very rectangle.Yay.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I'm in 5th year and do 3 and 1/2 hours a day during school.I do 8 subjects and LCVP. I just took up Economics so I am planning to do an hours of Economics before school and during the 2 study periods I have a week, I will then do about 2 hours Economics revision at the weekend. That averages around 8 hours a week.

I'm looking for about 520+ so i'm putting a lot of effort into my subjects..

I would need the following grades

English B2 (80)
    Geography A1 (100)
    French B1 (85)
    Business A2 (90)
    Music A2 (90)
    Economics B2 (80)
    Irish B2 (NOT COUNTING)
    Maths B2 (NOT COUNTING)
    LCVP Would love a Distinction, but probably a Merit..

I think that equates to 525!

A bit of advice I'd give is don't decide as of yet what subjects you wont count as you'll get lazy in them. I thought history was my choice subject I wouldn't be counting as although I enjoy it I'm just not entirely suited to it, yet at Christmas it was somehow my best result even though I thought I'd do **** in it and it wouldn't be worth counting.

Only decide to not count a subject if you're doing it at pass level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey RMD.. Maths and Irish for me are pass so I decided not to count them as I am doing 6 higher and LCVP..

Yeah,it sure is.But I can be a very convincing lier when I have to be.Muahaha.

Well,thank you for saving Mankind,was ever so kind of you!:L :L
    Rectangles..yes,i like the way u think Martin,Books are rectangular so study plan should be rectanglular...like with like eh.Even my study timebleIe will be rectangular along with my a4 pad.I'll stop now,getting carried away with the possibilites.:rolleyes: must put that plan into action as of Monday,the forthcoming weeks and months of my life are therefore going to be very rectangle.Yay.:pac:

Get lazy when lying,
    Could be doing brilliantly but eventually end up owning up :P

Anytime, my job ;)
    Rectangles... Jesus, everything is one!
    And all they are are badly drawn squares :P

Starts again Monday now,
    Hoping to not get as much homework so I can get more study in,
    Its all about time now :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

awhhh....DCG project to be in on the 14th, missed 2- 3 weeks worth of DCG classes because of snow, college open days etc... and im only staring to type out the whole thing now. great.

when are your(everyone) mocks?
    mine are at the start of febuary, somthing got to do with easter being early.

Late February I think, about 20th ish

• Advertisement

Get lazy when lying,
    Could be doing brilliantly but eventually end up owning up :P

Anytime, my job ;)
    Rectangles... Jesus, everything is one!
    And all they are are badly drawn squares :P

Starts again Monday now,
    Hoping to not get as much homework so I can get more study in,
    Its all about time now :S

True,can also get caught in the tangled web I weave as u say.I'd prefer like the stuff I have to learn but some of it is total rubbish.No offence,just not my cup of tea.

Rectangles...it is actually crazy...everything nearly begins as one and then shaped or what ever.haha badly drawn squares!!

H/W is killing me and projects.Dcg I hear ya,I'm waaaay further behind you!!Do we have to type it up,the project?Our mocks are on AFTER midterm.I don't know if thats good.I guess it will kind of force us to study instead of taking a break if they wer just before it.But still.If results come back in May is their much point doing them that late. we missed school time too because of snow.

Using my time effectively and efficiently.Time is eluding my control :/ need more,please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm gonna have to pick up on Maths study to be honest. Higher Level is damn hard, especially with how unpredictable the questions on the paper are. I might even do some grinds in it too.

Apart from that I'm doing okay, I counted up the points from my Christmas exams and got 505 points but they're just Christmas exams so it's not much. Still lots of room for improvement. I may give up the old Facebook in March though!

True,can also get caught in the tangled web I weave as u say.I'd prefer like the stuff I have to learn but some of it is total rubbish.No offence,just not my cup of tea.

Rectangles...it is actually crazy...everything nearly begins as one and then shaped or what ever.haha badly drawn squares!!

H/W is killing me and projects.Dcg I hear ya,I'm waaaay further behind you!!Do we have to type it up,the project?Our mocks are on AFTER midterm.I don't know if thats good.I guess it will kind of force us to study instead of taking a break if they wer just before it.But still.If results come back in May is their much point doing them that late. we missed school time too because of snow.

Using my time effectively and efficiently.Time is eluding my control :/ need more,please :)

Business and Biology primarily now..
    Stop like, actually dying in them :X
    Got a knack for business but when you dont have it learnt you havent much hope....
    Dont want to fall back in any of others either, which have definately been neglected of late...
    Havent touched Geography in ages which is pretty risky now,
    A lot of learning too, test tomorrow and havent studied a bit :X
    Need to study as much as I am in others too though cos I'll fall further behind otherwise..
    Time indeed... So much wasted and so much needed...
    Had a laugh though :P
    I cant study during free classes either though,
    People around me don't allow it :P

Business and Biology primarily now..
    Stop like, actually dying in them :X
    Got a knack for business but when you dont have it learnt you havent much hope....
    Dont want to fall back in any of others either, which have definately been neglected of late...
    Havent touched Geography in ages which is pretty risky now,
    A lot of learning too, test tomorrow and havent studied a bit :X
    Need to study as much as I am in others too though cos I'll fall further behind otherwise..
    Time indeed... So much wasted and so much needed...
    Had a laugh though :P
    I cant study during free classes either though,
    People around me don't allow it :P

Yeah,english and irish are being very neglected.I also dont enjoy studying them so I tend not to.Plan on forcing myself to do something today.Mocks are moved back to the original date.Its 3-4 weeks till there on,so yeah,I gotta stop making excuses and just do it.Actions speak louder than words as they say.I know,same here any officialy stidy class is taken by DCG project,then any free class is just conversations.:) How did your Geo test go?Oh I was up really early the other morning,I seen that reddish devil sky you saved mankind from,pretty unique!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i'm doing 3-4 hours a night monday-thursday and sundays, that's homework and study combined too, most of my homework is revision too at this stage.
    I'm hoping for around 450 points and got the equivalent of 430 points in my xmas exams. Have to improve my maths with more study of that and history which i had neglected because i hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm only starting to study now mocks aren't til March so thats not to bad.
    Gonna try and do about 2-3hours study everyday 2/3 subjects changes everyday. Need to do a lot of maths study I only just barely past the christmas test.

I'm doing 3 highers and 3 ordinary need at least 330 points

Yeah,english and irish are being very neglected.I also dont enjoy studying them so I tend not to.Plan on forcing myself to do something today.Mocks are moved back to the original date.Its 3-4 weeks till there on,so yeah,I gotta stop making excuses and just do it.Actions speak louder than words as they say.I know,same here any officialy stidy class is taken by DCG project,then any free class is just conversations.:) How did your Geo test go?Oh I was up really early the other morning,I seen that reddish devil sky you saved mankind from,pretty unique!!

Have about 6/7 pages of English to do now this weekend so I'm going to get started on that soon, meant to start ages ago but just lost the will...
    Really have to study all areas, have some courses not finished which doesnt help :/
    Try best in study but not getting half enough done, going to start doing exam papers in a few to try and catch up in them and download mock tests from somewhere...
    Geography test actually went better than expected...
    Got two suprise tests in the 2 following classes as well :P
    Chemistry where Id be suprised if I never got an A, and Business which I think I done pretty well in as well.
    But things could very easily have gone against me, luck I think,
    God knows I wont get complacent... :P
    Bet you were tired the next day,
    Saving mankind is tiresome work :cool:

I'm only starting to study now mocks aren't til March so thats not to bad.
    Gonna try and do about 2-3hours study everyday 2/3 subjects changes everyday. Need to do a lot of maths study I only just barely past the christmas test.

I'm doing 3 highers and 3 ordinary need at least 330 points

Sounds do-able, my study routine pretty similar too,
    Good to do subjects like that too,
    What level are you doing Maths in?
    What subjects are you doing actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Sounds do-able, my study routine pretty similar too,
    Good to do subjects like that too,
    What level are you doing Maths in?
    What subjects are you doing actually?

Its hard to get into studying though always tried after school lol

Maths O its okay once I know it I just forget how to do it
    French O
    English O
    Engineering H
    Business H
    Geography H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

Did a good bit this week but not as much as planned atall, today got nothing done..mocks in 4 weeks, so lots to be done:rolleyes:

Advertisement