Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours of study??

Options
  • 28-12-2010 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey just looking to see what other people are doing in terms of study. write down how many hours a day your doing and what points your aiming for :D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's quality, not quantity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 loverboy

Ha dont i know just wanted to get a general insight though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

I do my homework plus Zero study :rolleyes:

I'm going to start studying over the holidays though...!

Aiming for 450 points, if I tried I could get 550 but I'm too lazy!

Thinking of going to Scotland though! I'd need an A2 in maths plus 3 B2s and a C1.. All higher.. It's 400 CAO points worth, but that's from 5 subjects, not 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    I do my homework plus Zero study :rolleyes:

I'm going to start studying over the holidays though...!

Aiming for 450 points, if I tried I could get 550 but I'm too lazy!

Thinking of going to Scotland though! I'd need an A2 in maths plus 3 B2s and a C1.. All higher.. It's 400 CAO points worth, but that's from 5 subjects, not 6.

In the same boat my friend :P

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Do Homework and maybe 10 mins in two or three subjects i like apart from that nothing! Want 450 points seems like a nice number.Not doing nothing for next week & a half though!

• Advertisement

Stopped using Facebook as of yesterday, which beforehand took up about 2-3 hour of every evening :-/
    After Christmas tests being cancelled due to snow I know for a fact we're going to get tests when we go back,
    Going to have to do something over holidays though otherwise I'll be slaughtered when I go back.
    Faced with another prediciment though which is also quite a distraction and that is that I HAVENT A CLUE WHAT I WANT TO DO AFTER SCHOOL
    I know I want to go to university (either UCC or UL) but I dont know what to do.. Planned on doing arts (English/Economics or English/Geog) but after looking into it, I had no interest whatsoever and dawned it was the whole hype of being a teacher that attracted me...

Also it being a few weeks til the CAO deadline, it is at the top of my mind and priority number 1 at the moment, no matter how much I want to push it back temporarily...

So I've everything to do but havent a clue where to start... :X

Dyu know what I mean :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Usersname

Pay attention in class and all your homework every night and you will never have to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Usersname wrote: »
    Pay attention in class and all your homework every night and you will never have to study.

I wouldn't say that at all... Might work if you have an amazing memory but most people you'll definitely have to revise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

It's quality, not quantity :)
    Don't be put off from studying a lot mind! And this crap that you can't study more than 3 hours or whatever is, well, crap. You can easily do 6 hours once you get in a routine.

Must get cracking studying,
    Only find myself doing certain subjects too though,
    I have 3 hours I can definately do study after that I have to fit in homework too ad I get loads...
    At the moment, 3 is the max I'll be able to fit in I reckon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I do three hours a day each day during the holidays. It's totally about quality though, if I find it's not working I leave the books. Aiming for 600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

I agree,it's about using ure time wisely. Plan ahead what chapter/topic ure going to study and I personally study it till i know it.I don't limit my time. When we were off because of the snow i studied about 6 hours each day because i had xmas test besides that not much at all.

Taken a break the first week of these holidays.Then I'm going to be busy with projects.My aim is to get them done and study the subjects I need to get into my course which are Bio,Chem mainly.

I have to have HIGHER A2,B2,B2,C1 to include Chemistry and another science (preferably Biology) and preferably English. English and Maths at Ordinary Level. Now I do all my subjects at higher except Maths,dropped down this year.

So eng needs the most work but i could just concentrate on my other subjects..hmm. Sorry for the rant!And to answer ure question not much study regulary..just intensive snaps.I done pretty well in my xmas exams do so :) I felt i deserved to relax for a week!:) G'luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I study 30 hours a day, honest.

I agree,it's about using ure time wisely. Plan ahead what chapter/topic ure going to study and I personally study it till i know it.I don't limit my time. When we were off because of the snow i studied about 6 hours each day because i had xmas test besides that not much at all.

Taken a break the first week of these holidays.Then I'm going to be busy with projects.My aim is to get them done and study the subjects I need to get into my course which are Bio,Chem mainly.

I have to have HIGHER A2,B2,B2,C1 to include Chemistry and another science (preferably Biology) and preferably English. English and Maths at Ordinary Level. Now I do all my subjects at higher except Maths,dropped down this year.

So eng needs the most work but i could just concentrate on my other subjects..hmm. Sorry for the rant!And to answer ure question not much study regulary..just intensive snaps.I done pretty well in my xmas exams do so :) I felt i deserved to relax for a week!:) G'luck!

For me its about using time full stop.

Seem to be doing pretty similalr subjects, from what I can see,
    Just wondering, for the theory ridden subjects suhas Chem and Bio (Probably two I'm strugglin with most) how do I study them!

Odd thing is I have little problem with HL English which is the learning off of twenty odd poems (I think,) 3 texts and a film, possibly because I can just wing it as there's no really right or wrong answer within reason,
    Just the theory behind Chem and Bio wrecks my head and cant think of how to memorize (or better, understand) it.

Dropped down to pass Maths this year too and LOVE IT in comparison!
    Scary the differene between the two :P

Also, for me what I think is my biggest downfall, what motivates you, or how to you actually sit down and study and not get distracted...
    Beyond me, love to use college as a goal but unsure of the course I want to do yet, but for some reason want to go to UL...

For me its about using time full stop.

Seem to be doing pretty similalr subjects, from what I can see,
    Just wondering, for the theory ridden subjects suhas Chem and Bio (Probably two I'm strugglin with most) how do I study them!

Odd thing is I have little problem with HL English which is the learning off of twenty odd poems (I think,) 3 texts and a film, possibly because I can just wing it as there's no really right or wrong answer within reason,
    Just the theory behind Chem and Bio wrecks my head and cant think of how to memorize (or better, understand) it.

Dropped down to pass Maths this year too and LOVE IT in comparison!
    Scary the differene between the two :P

Also, for me what I think is my biggest downfall, what motivates you, or how to you actually sit down and study and not get distracted...
    Beyond me, love to use college as a goal but unsure of the course I want to do yet, but for some reason want to go to UL...

I do Chem,Bio,Eng,D.C.G,Construction,Irish at HL then maths at OL.haha omg stop,pass is taking the piss compared to honours.Plus seen most of it before for JC so thats handy out but i still plan to practice different topics when i will study.

Chem: I really would recommend Revise Wise Chemistry..it cuts out a load of the irrelavant crap in the book,we use Chemistry Now!I also use a revision book called Exam Edge Chemistry,this books layes out where u loose marks in chem and gain them,u know the way its so paticular.Just take a definition for example,read it once and read it properly,then try say it out load without looking a few times,glance if u need help.Then re-read it again a few times,then write it down.then check ure answer with the definition.Then just re-read the definition often to remember it.Well it works for me.I got 92% in my Xmas test which covered Organic,Volumetric and a few other sections.I nailed thoose definitions.As I said expect to use a lot of paper,I really didnt find it time consuming as i was learning so i didnt notice time itching by.

Bio: Revise Wise and the Celtic Press booklet both are excellent at cutting out the bulk of rubbish. I got 70% for xmas which was on all the topics we done so far which is the majority of them!!Again i used the same method.
    For experiments for both chem and bio i can visulize the diagrams so that helps me a lot.

In general I'm afraid there is no quick way to learn something properly.
    I put my phone on silent and out of site and reach,turn on a bright light,helps me concentrate anyway,turn off tv,music and sit down,put away ure pencils haha :P, take out that subject ure going to study,like Chemistry,take a topic, eg. Organic, say u aim to learn 5 exp's today so start with one,concentrate on that one,dont think of all u have to do,think of what u have done,little steps count massively.But if i really have a lot on my mind or just cant seem to concentrate i go awy for an hour,do something else and COME BACK TO IT,i dont leave it,i usually come back refreshed.So that's what works for me,breaks during study dont work for me..I might close my eyes for a minute,but dont go online or ring someone or start texting.

Motivation,I want to prove to myself I can do well for one.I look at the university i want to go to.I know the course I want so I can focus a bit more perhaps. U outlined ure interests and talked to ure Guidance Consellor and all that jazz? I just get very motivated when I look at the course and the uni.The excitement of going it alone,new place,new faces.New chapter in ure life.U have to find ureself what methods of study work best and what motivated u but maybe mine will work for u too.What subjects do u do by the way?Yeah only problem with Chem and bio is u can rant on.I try that with eng but not working for me,I have to structure my answers more!but eng is not a major priority for me but I would want a decent grade. B3 would be heaven c1 nice.

Try looking at diagrams,videos, of processes,definitions u have to memorize the hard way.Let me know if it works sure!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

I have yet to put in 2hours study this year.................
    I'm gonna do that after school 2hr study crap so i get something done, then do homework at home. that might get me somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

On weekdays, I usually do up to 4 hours altogether of homework and study, 2 hours of it in school right after school, and two hours at home. On the weekend though, I tend to get lazy, and where I really should be doing more study then usual, I end up doing less.

The course I'm aiming for is about 340 points I think, but I'm aiming for 500 points. Got 510 in the novembers, so not going too bad at all so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm in 5th year and do 3 and 1/2 hours a day during school.I do 8 subjects and LCVP. I just took up Economics so I am planning to do an hours of Economics before school and during the 2 study periods I have a week, I will then do about 2 hours Economics revision at the weekend. That averages around 8 hours a week.

I'm looking for about 520+ so i'm putting a lot of effort into my subjects..

I would need the following grades

English B2 (80)
    Geography A1 (100)
    French B1 (85)
    Business A2 (90)
    Music A2 (90)
    Economics B2 (80)
    Irish B2 (NOT COUNTING)
    Maths B2 (NOT COUNTING)
    LCVP Would love a Distinction, but probably a Merit..

I think that equates to 525!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Don't decide in advance which subjects you are not counting! I kind of did that, saying that I wouldn't be counting Irish and French before I even sat the exams. As it turned out, one exam didn't go as well as expected (Physics) and I ended up counting my Irish HL grade. Had I got one grade lower in Irish, I wouldn't be in the course that I am now - which I love! The course has nothing to do with Irish, but if I completely gave up on studying Irish because I thought I wasn't going to count it, I wouldn't be in my course now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

My Maths and Irish are @ OL though!

• Advertisement

I do Chem,Bio,Eng,D.C.G,Construction,Irish at HL then maths at OL.haha omg stop,pass is taking the piss compared to honours.Plus seen most of it before for JC so thats handy out but i still plan to practice different topics when i will study.

Chem: I really would recommend Revise Wise Chemistry..it cuts out a load of the irrelavant crap in the book,we use Chemistry Now!I also use a revision book called Exam Edge Chemistry,this books layes out where u loose marks in chem and gain them,u know the way its so paticular.Just take a definition for example,read it once and read it properly,then try say it out load without looking a few times,glance if u need help.Then re-read it again a few times,then write it down.then check ure answer with the definition.Then just re-read the definition often to remember it.Well it works for me.I got 92% in my Xmas test which covered Organic,Volumetric and a few other sections.I nailed thoose definitions.As I said expect to use a lot of paper,I really didnt find it time consuming as i was learning so i didnt notice time itching by.

Bio: Revise Wise and the Celtic Press booklet both are excellent at cutting out the bulk of rubbish. I got 70% for xmas which was on all the topics we done so far which is the majority of them!!Again i used the same method.
    For experiments for both chem and bio i can visulize the diagrams so that helps me a lot.

In general I'm afraid there is no quick way to learn something properly.
    I put my phone on silent and out of site and reach,turn on a bright light,helps me concentrate anyway,turn off tv,music and sit down,put away ure pencils haha :P, take out that subject ure going to study,like Chemistry,take a topic, eg. Organic, say u aim to learn 5 exp's today so start with one,concentrate on that one,dont think of all u have to do,think of what u have done,little steps count massively.But if i really have a lot on my mind or just cant seem to concentrate i go awy for an hour,do something else and COME BACK TO IT,i dont leave it,i usually come back refreshed.So that's what works for me,breaks during study dont work for me..I might close my eyes for a minute,but dont go online or ring someone or start texting.

Motivation,I want to prove to myself I can do well for one.I look at the university i want to go to.I know the course I want so I can focus a bit more perhaps. U outlined ure interests and talked to ure Guidance Consellor and all that jazz? I just get very motivated when I look at the course and the uni.The excitement of going it alone,new place,new faces.New chapter in ure life.U have to find ureself what methods of study work best and what motivated u but maybe mine will work for u too.What subjects do u do by the way?Yeah only problem with Chem and bio is u can rant on.I try that with eng but not working for me,I have to structure my answers more!but eng is not a major priority for me but I would want a decent grade. B3 would be heaven c1 nice.

Try looking at diagrams,videos, of processes,definitions u have to memorize the hard way.Let me know if it works sure!:)

You see now it is the theory and understanding behind it,
    I think I might just have it with this flashcard biz for the learning off of thing, have about 150ish definitions out and doing Organic Chemistry stuff now, think I'll handle experiments better now alright after doing them, especially the titrations, horribly inaccurate :rolleyes:
    Biology next thing, again some bits are very good but looking over it as a whole it just looks momumental, so much learning... ALL LEARNING!
    Plan to flashcard the s*** out of it and hope for the best though...

Subjects are:
    English H (B1)
    Maths O (A1/2)
    French O (B/C) unnecessary just need a C3
    Chemistry H (B) Potential for it like..
    Biology H (B) Likewise
    Business H (B) Extra subject but can do good at it
    Geography H (A/B) Can see myself taking this for granted..
    LCVP C Distinction hopefully

All theory ridden, unwise fo someone who has trouble learning off :rolleyes:

Now English just comes to me...
    Different poets have different themes throughout all poems...
    Kavanagh - Glorification of the ordinary
    Yeats - Escapism
    Rich - Power
    Frost is a funny one but I like him, decision making primary theme but links off into others, good poet, like him :)
    Not doing Hopkins because his poems and use of worse anger me :P
    Thats how far we've got to date but think we're doing Wordsworth as well..
    Dont forget to use definitions like Onomateopea (my attempt at spelling it) Alliteration, Assonance, Similies, Octets, Metaphors, Rhythm, Rhyming schemes, hyperbole and whatnot, all good for marks :)
    As for the play I think Hamlet is brilliant...
    Character easy enough to label and analyse and very good plot,
    Easy to write a couple of pages on I'd like to think...
    Now the comparitives, Lies of Silence, Il Postino and Dancing at Lughnasa.
    Now I missed watching Il Postino so havent any notes on it...
    Themes you can use or Causes of confict can be:
    Poverty
    Womens place in society
    Corruption
    Political situation
    Religion
    and numerous others... have them taken down somewhere :)
    Paper 2 then with comprehensions all you can do is practice and prepare answers I reckon and with creative writing, write a brilliant, thrilling, intense essay using brilliant grammer and vocab, then mould it around whatever topic comes up in the Leaving Cert paper :P
    Need any help with English I'll try my best,
    One of few subjects I enjoy (:

You see now it is the theory and understanding behind it,
    I think I might just have it with this flashcard biz for the learning off of thing, have about 150ish definitions out and doing Organic Chemistry stuff now, think I'll handle experiments better now alright after doing them, especially the titrations, horribly inaccurate :rolleyes:
    Biology next thing, again some bits are very good but looking over it as a whole it just looks momumental, so much learning... ALL LEARNING!
    Plan to flashcard the s*** out of it and hope for the best though...

Subjects are:
    English H (B1)
    Maths O (A1/2)
    French O (B/C) unnecessary just need a C3
    Chemistry H (B) Potential for it like..
    Biology H (B) Likewise
    Business H (B) Extra subject but can do good at it
    Geography H (A/B) Can see myself taking this for granted..
    LCVP C Distinction hopefully

All theory ridden, unwise fo someone who has trouble learning off :rolleyes:

Now English just comes to me...
    Different poets have different themes throughout all poems...
    Kavanagh - Glorification of the ordinary
    Yeats - Escapism
    Rich - Power
    Frost is a funny one but I like him, decision making primary theme but links off into others, good poet, like him :)
    Not doing Hopkins because his poems and use of worse anger me :P
    Thats how far we've got to date but think we're doing Wordsworth as well..
    Dont forget to use definitions like Onomateopea (my attempt at spelling it) Alliteration, Assonance, Similies, Octets, Metaphors, Rhythm, Rhyming schemes, hyperbole and whatnot, all good for marks :)
    As for the play I think Hamlet is brilliant...
    Character easy enough to label and analyse and very good plot,
    Easy to write a couple of pages on I'd like to think...
    Now the comparitives, Lies of Silence, Il Postino and Dancing at Lughnasa.
    Now I missed watching Il Postino so havent any notes on it...
    Themes you can use or Causes of confict can be:
    Poverty
    Womens place in society
    Corruption
    Political situation
    Religion
    and numerous others... have them taken down somewhere :)
    Paper 2 then with comprehensions all you can do is practice and prepare answers I reckon and with creative writing, write a brilliant, thrilling, intense essay using brilliant grammer and vocab, then mould it around whatever topic comes up in the Leaving Cert paper :P
    Need any help with English I'll try my best,
    One of few subjects I enjoy (:

haha yeah,we did the titrations last year mostly, the equipment sucks,the chemicals are pre-historic so yeah,I took results from Revise Wise and I'm still filling some in.Experiments can get u 3 out of 8 questions I believe.Seeing as the first 3 questions are based on them and u have to do atleast two,however,you can do all three.Definitions is a guaranteed other % 12% or something I think.I think you would definetly get the B.What did you get for xmas?Yeah,I had that for a while too,overwhelmed by the amount of material but when u break it up it's not so bad!haha have fun with that!!:L does definitions wont know what hit them!!

I'm lucky I can learn off anything really.I learnt a 3 a4 page essay off for irish word for word.I surprised myself but its opened my eyes to what I should and can learn in english.LCVP they don't offer that at our school,dont really know what it is.I'm doing dutch as an etra subject because I am.Not really counting on that for anything,just doing it for the sake of doing it.

haha ah well,cant change anything about that now!If thoose flashcards work ull be fine!I remember all thoose terms from JC english.But I don't know how to write at leaving cert standard or structure my answers.And the comparitives do I compare them constantly?back it up with quotes?reference?explain reference.Hamlet I love anaylzing,Im naturally good at it,but again im lacking structure and form in my answers.My teacher is ****e and cant explain anything to me and wont give us sample answers.We compared them under the theme of Love & Mariage and Vision and Viewpoint,poverty.I honestly havent even looked through my exam papers,im very disencouraged.I got 30% for xmas on an answer i wrote for comparitive about the vision and viewpoint.My teacher said I needed more comparisons,i sent my answer to another teacher on here he said he woulda past me but no more,also said i lack structure.I also lack being taught how to structure my answer so :L Makes sense.Thank you.I'll help with Bio & Chem if I can.;):)

haha yeah,we did the titrations last year mostly, the equipment sucks,the chemicals are pre-historic so yeah,I took results from Revise Wise and I'm still filling some in.Experiments can get u 3 out of 8 questions I believe.Seeing as the first 3 questions are based on them and u have to do atleast two,however,you can do all three.Definitions is a guaranteed other % 12% or something I think.I think you would definetly get the B.What did you get for xmas?Yeah,I had that for a while too,overwhelmed by the amount of material but when u break it up it's not so bad!haha have fun with that!!:L does definitions wont know what hit them!!

I'm lucky I can learn off anything really.I learnt a 3 a4 page essay off for irish word for word.I surprised myself but its opened my eyes to what I should and can learn in english.LCVP they don't offer that at our school,dont really know what it is.I'm doing dutch as an etra subject because I am.Not really counting on that for anything,just doing it for the sake of doing it.

haha ah well,cant change anything about that now!If thoose flashcards work ull be fine!I remember all thoose terms from JC english.But I don't know how to write at leaving cert standard or structure my answers.And the comparitives do I compare them constantly?back it up with quotes?reference?explain reference.Hamlet I love anaylzing,Im naturally good at it,but again im lacking structure and form in my answers.My teacher is ****e and cant explain anything to me and wont give us sample answers.We compared them under the theme of Love & Mariage and Vision and Viewpoint,poverty.I honestly havent even looked through my exam papers,im very disencouraged.I got 30% for xmas on an answer i wrote for comparitive about the vision and viewpoint.My teacher said I needed more comparisons,i sent my answer to another teacher on here he said he woulda past me but no more,also said i lack structure.I also lack being taught how to structure my answer so :L Makes sense.Thank you.I'll help with Bio & Chem if I can.;):)

Yeah I must break down the course into what it consists of,
    Know what areas to focus on then.
    Hate definitions... with a passion...
    But looking back over exam papers only certain definitions come up time and time again, electronegativity, first/second ionisation level, energy level, sublevel and a few others..

I believe with comparitives you must compare all three with each other on the same theme, keep refering back to each and comparing one with another, paragraphs between each seperate point make the writing look so much better, even if the content lacks it, I wouldnt say quotes are massively important but by throwing in one or two you're really showing you know your material well.

Now with me, and it happens so much its almost inevitable every time, and I'm not sure if anyone else suffers from it, but if you start an answer with a topic or theme you know really well, I tend to write loads on that one topic, leaving me little time, and information on the others as I won't know them as well.
    For example I was doing an answer on Yeats;
    I started with The Lake Ilse of Innisfree, I know this poem well and wrote about two pages on it alone. Now the answer was supposed to be about four pages in total and I spent one on an introduction explaining the type of writing Yeats done and how it was all essentially escapism. Now we were supposed to cover 4 of his poems in these four pages and I'd 3 filled up with an intro and a poem, leaving me with little room to fit in other 3 poems. I ended up doing 7 pages in total, just to explain each poem in equal amount of detail which is unrealistic because I wouldnt be able to write 7 pages in an exam in the alotted time.
    The same applies with creative writing. I go into too much detail at the start, meaning I might be 3 pages in and only a fraction of my story told and half the time gone, I have to rush and fit in the major pieces in less detail, making the piece look rushed and less impressive.
    Seems weird but I have a problem with writing too much...
    Not many people can say that I reckon ;P

Also Christmas tests cancelled due to snow and ice which is a shame really because I wanted to see where I was all in all...
    Does mean I get the chance to study and improve grades over hols though.

Back to English, yes structure is a massive part.
    In exam papers there are sample answers I'm sure showing the structure.
    In reality answers, arent brilliant and would only pick out a few sentences to use as a guideline (you'll know which ones yourself) the layout of the answers shown though is what you'll need to take account of. How they take one topic at a time, outline, explain, quote, conclude, next point.
    Another massive thing with English is relevance. Couldnt tell you how many marks I've lost for throwing in irrelevent bits of information just to bulk up my answer and for gods sake if you're going to put in a quote, make sure its on topic, otherwise it sticks out like a sore thumb and you're marks will pay the price.

Teacher helps as well though, mine is pretty laid back, explains things well in fairness, rarely get homework but when we do he'll want it done well.
    Passionate about English as well though he is, with poems quotes words, vocab used, goes into detail and explains it without boring us...
    Thats why I like him so much I think :)

Also with English, especially in things like comprehensions and essays, personalise the s*** out of it. Its your own feelings on it, opinions and how you feel on the issue at hand.
    A brilliant example is Michael in Lies of silence, you can go two completely different ways when describing him, you can feel sorry for him because of the state he's in and the decisions he has to make, on the other hand you can call him a cheating b****** and say you have no feelings of remorse and whatever he gets is deserved.

Will be drawing up a few notes on it over next few days,
    Can post or send them on if you think it'll be of benifit,
    Like to think I'll be able to describe it pretty well (:
    Being English must be a hidden advantage :cool:
    Also in relation to sample answers,
    Your exam papers, provided they're edco I think,
    Should have a code next to each question,
    This will lead to sample answers,
    Mentioned it above but forgot to say where to find them :rolleyes:
    If you havent them I can send on codes anyway..

Jesus there's no stopping me when I get going,
    5 in the morning like, think I'd something better to be doing,
    Along the lines of sleep :rolleyes:

Yeah I must break down the course into what it consists of,
    Know what areas to focus on then.
    Hate definitions... with a passion...
    But looking back over exam papers only certain definitions come up time and time again, electronegativity, first/second ionisation level, energy level, sublevel and a few others..

I believe with comparitives you must compare all three with each other on the same theme, keep refering back to each and comparing one with another, paragraphs between each seperate point make the writing look so much better, even if the content lacks it, I wouldnt say quotes are massively important but by throwing in one or two you're really showing you know your material well.

Now with me, and it happens so much its almost inevitable every time, and I'm not sure if anyone else suffers from it, but if you start an answer with a topic or theme you know really well, I tend to write loads on that one topic, leaving me little time, and information on the others as I won't know them as well.
    For example I was doing an answer on Yeats;
    I started with The Lake Ilse of Innisfree, I know this poem well and wrote about two pages on it alone. Now the answer was supposed to be about four pages in total and I spent one on an introduction explaining the type of writing Yeats done and how it was all essentially escapism. Now we were supposed to cover 4 of his poems in these four pages and I'd 3 filled up with an intro and a poem, leaving me with little room to fit in other 3 poems. I ended up doing 7 pages in total, just to explain each poem in equal amount of detail which is unrealistic because I wouldnt be able to write 7 pages in an exam in the alotted time.
    The same applies with creative writing. I go into too much detail at the start, meaning I might be 3 pages in and only a fraction of my story told and half the time gone, I have to rush and fit in the major pieces in less detail, making the piece look rushed and less impressive.
    Seems weird but I have a problem with writing too much...
    Not many people can say that I reckon ;P

Also Christmas tests cancelled due to snow and ice which is a shame really because I wanted to see where I was all in all...
    Does mean I get the chance to study and improve grades over hols though.

Back to English, yes structure is a massive part.
    In exam papers there are sample answers I'm sure showing the structure.
    In reality answers, arent brilliant and would only pick out a few sentences to use as a guideline (you'll know which ones yourself) the layout of the answers shown though is what you'll need to take account of. How they take one topic at a time, outline, explain, quote, conclude, next point.
    Another massive thing with English is relevance. Couldnt tell you how many marks I've lost for throwing in irrelevent bits of information just to bulk up my answer and for gods sake if you're going to put in a quote, make sure its on topic, otherwise it sticks out like a sore thumb and you're marks will pay the price.

Teacher helps as well though, mine is pretty laid back, explains things well in fairness, rarely get homework but when we do he'll want it done well.
    Passionate about English as well though he is, with poems quotes words, vocab used, goes into detail and explains it without boring us...
    Thats why I like him so much I think :)

Also with English, especially in things like comprehensions and essays, personalise the s*** out of it. Its your own feelings on it, opinions and how you feel on the issue at hand.
    A brilliant example is Michael in Lies of silence, you can go two completely different ways when describing him, you can feel sorry for him because of the state he's in and the decisions he has to make, on the other hand you can call him a cheating b****** and say you have no feelings of remorse and whatever he gets is deserved.

Will be drawing up a few notes on it over next few days,
    Can post or send them on if you think it'll be of benifit,
    Like to think I'll be able to describe it pretty well (:
    Being English must be a hidden advantage :cool:
    Also in relation to sample answers,
    Your exam papers, provided they're edco I think,
    Should have a code next to each question,
    This will lead to sample answers,
    Mentioned it above but forgot to say where to find them :rolleyes:
    If you havent them I can send on codes anyway..

Jesus there's no stopping me when I get going,
    5 in the morning like, think I'd something better to be doing,
    Along the lines of sleep :rolleyes:

Yeah exactly,you don't necessarily need to know all the definitions to get a good grade.It's ridiculous how simular some of the exam papers.Another Chemistry teacher in our school said the 2010 was a sticky paper so we might get lucky and get a nice paper.A ''nice'' paper :L I know what he means do,hopefully they will give us a nice one.

I find it hard to do that.Say under the theme of love and marriage I said:

LOS has a fractured marriage which was based on frail foundations,whereas in IP has a true,pure love based on honesty,compared to DAL which is based not even on the flimsiest of foundations.We get a well rounded view of love from all 3 texts,some positive as in IP unlike LOS and DAL which have majority of negative views.

I don't know if I should elaborate or what?Hmm yeah,I'm going to start pl anning my answers from now on so that should help with structure.I don't have Edco I have some crowd from Kerry,they done us a deal €2.50 for exam papers.:D I am not a fan of boland she recks my head.I like yeats,I cant remember many others.I have'nt really studied poetry well.Dickinson kinda appealed to me when we done her because was dealing with death so could relate ya know the way things make more sense when they happen as u read a poem about it.Im usually good at personolizing but we havent really gotten onto paper 1.But i''l let u know how I get on.I need to put in a lot of work for eng.I want a b3.I really want it.But Im under no illusion that ill get it without work.

That would be nice,I forgot Edco had that sample answer online.I might take u up on that.Your so lucky u have a passionate teacher.Our teacher just babbles all day long,repeats himself.Its hard enough to pay attention most days as all ure listning to is bullsh*t.It's just very frustrating going from an A student to a c,d,E student!!!haha im kinda glad ours wer cancelled too,we had about 2 school weeks off,studied very well during thoose snow days. :) Hmm Michael,i get u,take a side.Show that u have active feelings.Text has drawn u in.Thanks,good advice so far :D I wrote 5 A4 pages in total and people who only wrote 2 got a pass whereas i was failed,i dont think my answer was that bad.Oh well,onwards and upwards.haha its in ure blood!Hmm yeah sounds good,thanks!!:)

haha it was pretty late when I went too,viscious cycle isnt it.

Yeah exactly,you don't necessarily need to know all the definitions to get a good grade.It's ridiculous how simular some of the exam papers.Another Chemistry teacher in our school said the 2010 was a sticky paper so we might get lucky and get a nice paper.A ''nice'' paper :L I know what he means do,hopefully they will give us a nice one.

I find it hard to do that.Say under the theme of love and marriage I said:

LOS has a fractured marriage which was based on frail foundations,whereas in IP has a true,pure love based on honesty,compared to DAL which is based not even on the flimsiest of foundations.We get a well rounded view of love from all 3 texts,some positive as in IP unlike LOS and DAL which have majority of negative views.

I don't know if I should elaborate or what?Hmm yeah,I'm going to start pl anning my answers from now on so that should help with structure.I don't have Edco I have some crowd from Kerry,they done us a deal €2.50 for exam papers.:D I am not a fan of boland she recks my head.I like yeats,I cant remember many others.I have'nt really studied poetry well.Dickinson kinda appealed to me when we done her because was dealing with death so could relate ya know the way things make more sense when they happen as u read a poem about it.Im usually good at personolizing but we havent really gotten onto paper 1.But i''l let u know how I get on.I need to put in a lot of work for eng.I want a b3.I really want it.But Im under no illusion that ill get it without work.

That would be nice,I forgot Edco had that sample answer online.I might take u up on that.Your so lucky u have a passionate teacher.Our teacher just babbles all day long,repeats himself.Its hard enough to pay attention most days as all ure listning to is bullsh*t.It's just very frustrating going from an A student to a c,d,E student!!!haha im kinda glad ours wer cancelled too,we had about 2 school weeks off,studied very well during thoose snow days. :) Hmm Michael,i get u,take a side.Show that u have active feelings.Text has drawn u in.Thanks,good advice so far :D I wrote 5 A4 pages in total and people who only wrote 2 got a pass whereas i was failed,i dont think my answer was that bad.Oh well,onwards and upwards.haha its in ure blood!Hmm yeah sounds good,thanks!!:)

haha it was pretty late when I went too,viscious cycle isnt it.

Could do with a nice paper now,
    Love to prove my Chemistry teacher wrong (:

Thats it with the English comparitives, seems like you can only properly compare two of them with each other, there's always one really that lacks in it, marriage is the best one really I reckon...
    Got them papers for Maths and Geog :)
    Will send you English codes when I get exam papers, in locker at school at the mo. Will try and get it over next few days or so, see when it's open next...
    Today looked up some poetry bits and pieces and got some brilliant pieces on Kavanagh, Rich, Frost and Yeats. Really in depth and detailed.
    Got them from www.skoool.ie or something, brilliant notes, I'll send them on.
    I hate that, seeing that people have wrote less than me and get higher marks, with exam papers I'll be able to give some sample answers which will be handy for structure.
    Supposed to cover 4 poems I think per poet so you'd want to know pretty well, notes I'll send you will have very good quotes in it and tells you where to use it..
    In my blood :)
    Must be, can't memorize for any other subject :)
    If you PM me your email address I'll be able to send them on.
    Very good notes, blessed that I fell across them :cool:

Could do with a nice paper now,
    Love to prove my Chemistry teacher wrong (:

Thats it with the English comparitives, seems like you can only properly compare two of them with each other, there's always one really that lacks in it, marriage is the best one really I reckon...
    Got them papers for Maths and Geog :)
    Will send you English codes when I get exam papers, in locker at school at the mo. Will try and get it over next few days or so, see when it's open next...
    Today looked up some poetry bits and pieces and got some brilliant pieces on Kavanagh, Rich, Frost and Yeats. Really in depth and detailed.
    Got them from www.skoool.ie or something, brilliant notes, I'll send them on.
    I hate that, seeing that people have wrote less than me and get higher marks, with exam papers I'll be able to give some sample answers which will be handy for structure.
    Supposed to cover 4 poems I think per poet so you'd want to know pretty well, notes I'll send you will have very good quotes in it and tells you where to use it..
    In my blood :)
    Must be, can't memorize for any other subject :)
    If you PM me your email address I'll be able to send them on.
    Very good notes, blessed that I fell across them :cool:

Yeah,would be very handy if we got a good paper!
    Hmmm I'll have a look on skools thanks ;)
    Yeah,I know..5 compared to 2 pages.Oh well no point crying over spilt milk eh!Alright,sounds,no hurry :)
    There is a load of poets we are ment to cover right?
    And a guarenteed q'n on a female poet?
    I will send on my e-mail in a PM.
    I looked for notes before,load of rubbish is all I found!Must have missed skools lol.
    Have a great day of studying!:D

Yeah,would be very handy if we got a good paper!
    Hmmm I'll have a look on skools thanks ;)
    Yeah,I know..5 compared to 2 pages.Oh well no point crying over spilt milk eh!Alright,sounds,no hurry :)
    There is a load of poets we are ment to cover right?
    And a guarenteed q'n on a female poet?
    I will send on my e-mail in a PM.
    I looked for notes before,load of rubbish is all I found!Must have missed skools lol.
    Have a great day of studying!:D

Think I've just got lucky finding notes :D
    Erm, think theres 8 poets but we're only doing 5 or 6 I think..
    Haven't heard theres to be a guaranteed question on any of them but I don't think Rich will come up, which is a shame really :P
    Not going to try and guess but I know some I'd like to come up :P
    Have to go to sleep earlier and stop GETTING UP SO LATE!
    Got up after 2 last four days, up at 4 today... :S
    Actually set alarm to get up at 11 but set the alarm tone as Greensleeves which, if nothing else, made me sleep for longer...
    I've learnt my lesson :)

Think I've just got lucky finding notes :D
    Erm, think theres 8 poets but we're only doing 5 or 6 I think..
    Haven't heard theres to be a guaranteed question on any of them but I don't think Rich will come up, which is a shame really :P
    Not going to try and guess but I know some I'd like to come up :P
    Have to go to sleep earlier and stop GETTING UP SO LATE!
    Got up after 2 last four days, up at 4 today... :S
    Actually set alarm to get up at 11 but set the alarm tone as Greensleeves which, if nothing else, made me sleep for longer...
    I've learnt my lesson :)

Hmm puurhaps :) Thanks for sharing the wealth ;)
    8 hmm not so bad, but then 8 x 4 poems each = 32 poems..Yeah,I've got a lot of work cut out for myself.:rolleyes:
    Does'nt a women come up nearly every year?
    I've heard from a few peoples grinds teacher saying certain poets most defitetly wont come up.I'm afraid I can't remember which he said either but yeah,can't exactly chance one over the other coming up.

hahaha u're preaching to the choir,however I have managed to get up at 12 but still bed after 2am..dont feel to chirpy in the morning and it just repeats then because I wouldnt be tired until 2 ish. But 4 haha I remember thoose days,used to hate it do,felt like such a waste of a day when I woke up.Not saying your wasting your days :p:D I just to be addicted to the sims pc games back in JC years,so come xmas I would be glued to the screen.

Greensleeves as in the classical piece?
    hahaha that is rather caming and soothing.
    I have RHCP Torture Me,the bass never fails to wake me.Except during school days,I struggle to get up for 8.45 no matter what time I go to sleep!:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The best bit of advice I got re. hours of study sadly came too late for my LC, but in college instead.

Do two hours work on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Friday is a rest day, you've worked hard all week. Saturday night is for enjoying yourself and Sunday is depressing enough without adding to it.

I am eternally grateful to the lecturer who imparted that advice, I qualified with distinction!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Faced with another prediciment though which is also quite a distraction and that is that I HAVENT A CLUE WHAT I WANT TO DO AFTER SCHOOL
    I know I want to go to university (either UCC or UL) but I dont know what to do..
    same here, want to go to college, have no idea what for. first choice on the CAO dosnt really matter, so im sending in random courses, theres a change of mind option later on.

my principal keeps going on about doing 4 hours of study a night, friday off and then 4 saturday and suday. :eek:

Advertisement