Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF?! Man shot dead in Government Buildings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

<snip>

Sorry Makikomi for your loss of a friend, my sympathy and respect to all his family. My the lad RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Its only making the news because it happened in Government Buildings.

A similar death in another military post wouldn't be reported upon.

A real shame if true, I think it is important that tragedies like this are highlighted so the general public appreciate the strains and stresses people endure doing their service to their country.

I hope he has found peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Forgot to mention this with that Troll muppet!

Sorry Makikomi for your loss of a friend, my sympathy and respect to all his family. My the lad RIP.

Thanks, but for each and every member of the defence forces in this thread, and on boards the man's death is a loss.

Honestly, you can bet that on hearing this each member will say to himself or herself - 'another', and think back to other's who we've lost to suicide..

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I hope he has found peace.

Please God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Condolences on your co-worker's death.

always tragic to happen.

I just hope some army personnel don't use the death to try to manipulate the public to believe this could be due to the dispute between the government and army personnel concerning payments....similar to taxi drivers claiming suicides were the fault of the government/regulator.

how do you know it wasn't?

RIP to the chap. I know many people who took their own life.

Tragic:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

May this man RIP, condolences to his family & colleagues. Very sad to hear this.

thebullkf wrote: »
    how do you know it wasn't?

I think most of us were hoping that wouldn't be expanded upon.

Whats the point of speculating on the reason for a man taking his own life?.

Someone said earlier "I hope he finds peace" - that would have been a lovely way to wrap this one up IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Lad I am sorry for your loss....RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Please lads, he was a mate. Don't act the sack.

Did you know him personally Barbara Deep Flake?...... What is it with young men and suicide..its apparently the biggest cause of death in Ireland of males between the ages of 19-55 years.
    Incredible statistic really,indicative of our society as a whole :mad::mad:

I'm sure people here wouldn't be indifferent to making a collection for his family if so required? I know i wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What is it with young men and suicide..its apparently the biggest cause of death in Ireland of males between the ages of 19-55 years.

The country is a toilet.

Men put on too much of a front. I'd find it hard to talk to someone about depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RIP

Did you know him personally Makikomi?...... What is it with young men and suicide..its apparently the biggest cause of death in Ireland of males between the ages of 19-55 years.
    Incredible statistic really,indicative of our society as a whole :mad::mad:

I'm sure people here wouldn't be indifferent to making a collection for his family if so required? I know i wouldn't.

In Ireland there is a taboo with depression. It just is something men don't get and if you do, you're considered to be weak, to be sick, to be something less than human, and to not be a man. It is a horrible state of affairs, especially when people are also as unwilling to listen to people's problems than people are talking about them. If you talk to a counselor, you are seen as being extremely weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Had my phone switched off. Can't believe this has happened. Spent many a good day on duty, golfing and on the gargle. I just can't get my head around this. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

In Ireland there is a taboo with depression. It just is something men don't get and if you do, you're considered to be weak, to be sick, to be something less than human, and to not be a man. It is a horrible state of affairs, especially when people are also as unwilling to listen to people's problems than people are talking about them. If you talk to a counselor, you are seen as being extremely weak.

Nail on the head. It's something this country needs to address very fast. People need to be thought about this illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

k_mac wrote: »
    Nail on the head. It's something this country needs to address very fast. People need to be thought about this illness.

This isn't a shameless plug, but I know this band Irish band called Friends Of Emmet. They're trying to raise awareness of suicide & depression & are donating all profits from "Coming Apart" to this cause.

Despite several attempts at trying to raise profile here in Ireland, they've been ignored by media. So they've decided to try it in the US. They're currently playlisted on over 200 radio stations around California/Nevada/Arizona. Their video is featured on VH1 & they have an upcoming national tour with Ben Folds where they'll play to approx 100,000 people over two weeks.

This has been publicised & promoted endless times & not one media outlet has made a follow up enquiry or promoted them.

It's pretty bad when it's blatantly ignored like this. This is something that needs to be publicised & the "shame" taken out of it. There is nothing wrong with depression or suicidal thoughts, there is something wrong with ignoring it & hoping it'll go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

are you sure that you are actually talking about people in general here, or maybe this is your own perception of what they will think of you if you open up. because if there is someone reading this and were thinking about opening up themselves to people they are close to or a councillor, they may be thinking twice now because this post has given them the impression that they are weak in the eyes of the general population. so to counter that, talk to someone everyone has problems, even the councillor has shit going on, in fact that may be why they ended up being a councillor in the first place, they got through their own stuff and now want to help others, who knows :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Please lads, he was a mate. Don't act the sack.

Really sorry to hear that mate, hope you're doing okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Stupid of RTE and/or the rest of the press to report this. A neighbour's son died in the same place a few years back and they had the sense not to report it. Another family around the corner lost their son and 2 kids lost a father a few years back at this time of year somewhere in Portlaois I think it was. Both were army men but the amount of other suicides in the last couple of years I've heard of is stupidly high.

Hope he's alright now anyway.

me@ucd wrote: »
    are you sure that you are actually talking about people in general here, or maybe this is your own perception of what they will think of you if you open up. because if there is someone reading this and were thinking about opening up themselves to people they are close to or a councillor, they may be thinking twice now because this post has given them the impression that they are weak in the eyes of the general population. so to counter that, talk to someone everyone has problems, even the councillor has shit going on, in fact that may be why they ended up being a councillor in the first place, they got through their own stuff and now want to help others, who knows :pac:

This is unfortunately a view held by other people. It is something that has to be changed before more lives are lost needlessly. What people need to realise that realising there is a problem and actually doing something about it i.e. speaking to a professional, making life changes, is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A sad state of affairs in any case and very sad too at this time (any time really) for this part of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

RIP

Condolences to family & friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

AntiMatter wrote: »
    Probably a suicide, and probably not the best place for it here.

oh no a suicide, quick nobody talk about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Sorry to hear about your mate Mak.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but maybe it isn't suicide and more of a case of the army not being able to use a gun sufficiently either way hope peace comes to the family.

**** off.

amacachi wrote: »
    Stupid of RTE and/or the rest of the press to report this. A neighbour's son died in the same place a few years back and they had the sense not to report it. Another family around the corner lost their son and 2 kids lost a father a few years back at this time of year somewhere in Portlaois I think it was. Both were army men but the amount of other suicides in the last couple of years I've heard of is stupidly high.

Hope he's alright now anyway.

Ye lets keep suicide under wraps :rolleyes:

Sounds like bullsh*t to me, are you picking off where the last troll left off or are you just like that.

Ye lets not let anyone have an opinion :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

I always wanted to get a sidearm but what stops me is the fact that its just too damn convenient to top yourself when you get the feeling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Sounds like bullsh*t to me, are you picking off where the last troll left off or are you just like that.
    Poccington wrote: »
    **** off.

SLightly harsh reactions. It hasn't been reported as a suicide and could very possibly have been an accident for all we know. i appreciate that some of you know this man and may know more about the situation but it has not been shared with people outside the army to my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ye lets keep suicide under wraps :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

k_mac wrote: »
    SLightly harsh reactions. It hasn't been reported as a suicide and could very possibly have been an accident for all we know. i appreciate that some of you know this man and may know more about the situation but it has not been shared with people outside the army to my knowledge.

Slightly?, looks like you are not allowed say anything but "RIP" in this thread or you get lynched

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement