Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF?! Man shot dead in Government Buildings

Options
  • 28-12-2010 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

Gardaí are investigating the discovery of a man's body inside military police headquarters at Government Buildings in Dublin.

The body was discovered late last night with a gun shot wound.

The dead man was 50 and a member of the Defence Forces.

:confused:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1228/govtbuildings.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

Probably a suicide, and probably not the best place for it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I was hoping it was the Government collective, aw well...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Please lads, he was a mate. Don't act the sack.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Could be anything. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Poor guy, sad news at any time of the year but especially at christmas, may he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Sorry to hear was he married

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I really don't think AH is the place for this kind of thread...

I really don't think AH is the place for this kind of thread...

Its only making the news because it happened in Government Buildings.

A similar death in another military post wouldn't be reported upon.

Lock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Aye it would, the suicide in Collins' two years ago was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Poor man. RIP. Condolences to his family and friends.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Condolences on your co-worker's death.

always tragic to happen.

I just hope some army personnel don't use the death to try to manipulate the public to believe this could be due to the dispute between the government and army personnel concerning payments....similar to taxi drivers claiming suicides were the fault of the government/regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 de Lehman Bruddars

Please lads, he was a mate. Don't act the sack.

You ain't a mod here boy

Mod note: Poster banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I really don't see the point of putting threads like these up in AH.
    RIP

Aye it would, the suicide in Collins' two years ago was.

You think that was the last one?.

I'll be honest about something, if I tried all day I couldn't remember the amount of Defence Forces personnel who have died by suicide in the last two years.

Do me a favour and don't try pick holes with me in this discussion, please.

You ain't a mod here boy

He doesn't have to be, to say what he said.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You ain't a mod here boy

True but it's a request that people don't make fun if a friend who's dead you don't need to be a mod to do that. You may need to be a decent human being to follow his request which it seems you may not be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Condolences on your co-worker's death.

always tragic to happen.

I just hope some army personnel don't use the death to try to manipulate the public to believe this could be due to the dispute between the government and army personnel concerning payments....similar to taxi drivers claiming suicides were the fault of the government/regulator.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Jesus H Christ :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

PCPhoto wrote: »

That's unfair.

As an outsider looking in (ex-army spouse), I found it a strange place, 90% of the soundest, funniest people you could meet, and 10% loons and feral layabouts that would get up on the leg of a chair. The army as a majority doesn't deserve the negative press it sometimes gets.

I'd also imagine that it's not the easiest environment in which to get counselling, surprisingly enough.

RIP to this gentleman, I was vaguely familiar with a recent incident two year ago, and saw how hard it was for his colleagues, let alone anyone else.

You think that was the last one?.

I'll be honest about something, if I tried all day I couldn't remember the amount of Defence Forces personnel who have died by suicide in the last two years.

Do me a favour and don't try pick holes with me in this discussion, please.

I know it wasn't. You have my sympathy, but less of the posturing please.

• Advertisement

T
    I'd also imagine that it's not the easiest environment in which to get counselling, surprisingly enough.

Because of the very high suicide rate in the defence forces its actually one of the easiest places to get any kind of counselling, but the big problem with soldiers is their need to feel they've to maintain a 'macho' image with the lads.

They're also afraid that seeking counselling might exclude them from certain armed duties, including oversea's service and promotion.

Combine that with easy access to a quick and painless way of dying by suicide, and you have a suicide problem.

In fairness to the authorities its a problem which they're trying to tackle head on.

As for PCphoto's remarks, I'll just say they're contemptable and leave it at that.

Because of the very high suicide rate in the defence forces its actually one of the easiest places to get any kind of counselling, but the big problem with soldiers is their need to feel they've to maintain a 'macho' image with the lads.

They're also afraid that seeking counselling might exclude them from certain armed duties, including oversea's service and promotion.

Combine that with easy access to a quick and painless way of dying by suicide, and you have a suicide problem.

In fairness to the authorities its a problem which they're trying to tackle head on.

As for PCphoto's remarks, I'll just say they're contemptable and leave it at that.

QFT, all of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 de Lehman Bruddars

True but it's a request that people don't make fun if a friend who's dead you don't need to be a mod to do that. You may need to be a decent human being to follow his request which it seems you may not be.

Barbara Deep Flake is a subtle manipulative bully. Barely playing within the rules and throwing his weight around, kinda like his Judo "technique", lol. So with respect to his mate, I'll be damned if he tells any of us here what to do. This aint his army.

Mod note: Poster banned.

Makikomi is a subtle manipulative bully. Barely playing within the rules and throwing his weight around, kinda like his Judo "technique", lol. So with respect to his mate, I'll be damned if he tells any of us here what to do. This aint his army.

A friend and colleague of his just died, in tragic circumstances, and all he, politely, asked for was a little respect; for people to show some common decency, not act the dick behind the cloak of internet anonymity.

Enjoy your time here on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Makikomi is a subtle manipulative bully. Barely playing within the rules and throwing his weight around, kinda like his Judo "technique", lol. So with respect to his mate, I'll be damned if he tells any of us here what to do. This aint his army.

:confused: What are you on about?

Lads, do me a favour please and don't rise to him.

Thanks for the support, I do appreciate it but really he's not worth it - esp if he's to set up an alternative account to spout BS.

Would this be best moved to the Military forum? It's the only relevant forum I can think of that would be pretty much guaranteed to get respect.

Sorry for your loss Makikomi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I don't understand why the attack on me - I offered my condolences and hoped that some members of the army don't use the death to try use it to their advantage.

In my opinion it would be horrible for any member of the army to use the death of a colleague to try to gain public opinion.

its a tragic thing to happen - in any job.

once more...condolences offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

A Move would be good.
    I love ah qnd enjoy a trolling as much as the next cave dweller but I can't think that this,will end well once the usual suspects arrive.

My condolences to his family.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Lehmann brothers guy banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement