Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grocery shopping - all things irish

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

There's tons of stuff labelled Irish that isn't always, that is only packaged here or whatever.

How true. During the pork scare two years ago all these well-known "Irish" sausage brands finally came out and declared that their pork was not Irish. If you look at their labels now, they say 'Pork Sausages' rather than 'Irish Pork Sausages', despite their long-established Irish brand names like Kearns and Olhausen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Aldi has the most Irish supplied products of any supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Aldi has the most Irish supplied products of any supermarket.

If I didnt love supervalu so much I would shop in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I currently don't have any food in my fridge. Until tomorrow, I'm living off Christmas cake, Oxford Lunch, Pringles & some ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

ilovesleep wrote: »
    If I didnt love supervalu so much I would shop in Aldi.

How much do Supervalu charge for a 2ltr Milk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

OPENROAD wrote: »

Dont know about 2Ltr but for supervalu own brand 1Ltr is .79 cent.

I'd imagine it changes in each store depending on competition as they're independently owned. My local SuperValu is awful as it has a monopoly and thus charges us ridiculous prices. The nearest rival supermarket is 15km away. It's consequently cleaning up and has successfully lobbied to prevent the last two attempts to bring Lidl here.

Basically, the day competition finally comes will be a happy day for local consumers.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Dont know about 2Ltr but for supervalu own brand 1Ltr is .79 cent.

Not bad, .75 cent in Tesco

Dionysus wrote: »
    I'd imagine it changes in each store depending on competition as they're independently owned. My local SuperValu is awful as it has a monopoly and thus charges us ridiculous prices. The nearest rival supermarket is 15km away. It's consequently cleaning up and has successfully lobbied to prevent the last two attempts to bring Lidl here.

Basically, the day competition finally comes will be a happy day for local consumers.

Is that the same for Spar?

Is that the same for Spar?

Yes. SPAR is a Dutch company which operates along the same lines as Super Valu, which is Irish: independent retailers join SPAR, abide by its standards, and in return benefit from the economies of scale and discounts which a massive wholesaler like SPAR can secure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

SIUCRA..................................LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Sergeant wrote: »

Ballymaloe relish seems to go with everything from the fry-up to the late night sandwich.

Very true.^

Next time you get a bag of chips from the local chipper splash a bit of the oul bally M on them. Forkin scrumtastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

€1.49 - funnily enough, that's the same price that every store (bar centra) matches, some would find the sheer amount of products that are identically priced across all supermarkets as suspicous, not me though.

On the subject of milk, why would anyone buy 'supermilk' or if it's the extra vitamins you feel you can't live without, why would anyone buy 'avonmore supermilk' as opposed to own brand supermilks which are usually approximately 33% cheaper.

Advertisement