Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grocery shopping - all things irish

Options
  • 27-12-2010 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

Think this might be a good idea for a thread. Its so important more than ever before to shop irish. I have raided by fridge and presses and checked my receipts for all things irish.

Heres my list:
    tayto
    snowballs
    supervalu cranberry juice
    brennans bread
    supervalu milk
    supervalu cheese
    supervalu ham slices
    supervalu mince meat
    eggs
    mushrooms
    flahavans porridge.

thats it for now.

Raid your fridge and presses and come back and tell us what irish things you have.

And if we could all try to include them in our grocery shop that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I buy what's seems like good value,or on special occasiuons, what i feel like. Don't honestly consider where it's from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Think this might be a good idea for a thread. Its so important more than ever before to shop irish. I have raided by fridge and presses and checked my receipts for all things irish.

Heres my list:
    tayto
    snowballs
    brennans bread
    supervalu milk
    supervalu cheese
    supervalu ham slices
    supervalu mince meat
    eggs
    mushrooms
    flahavans porridge.

thats it for now.

Raid your fridge and presses and come back and tell us what irish things you have.

And if we could all try to include them in our grocery shop that would be great.

If they are competitively priced

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

TK-red-lemonade.jpg

I DRINK THIS SH!T BY THE BUCKETLOAD!!!

weeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Anyway Irish items in my fridge

Tesco Milk
    Dairygold Butter
    Superquinn Eggs
    Tesco Mince
    Charlville sliced cheese
    Wexford sliced chesse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I'd love to be buying Irish. Without the likes of Aldi and Lidl coming in though, with cheaper products produced in other countries then we'd still be paying mental prices for everything.

We need to get competive or learn to love food not produced on our own soil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

themadchef wrote: »
    I'd love to be buying Irish. Without the likes of Aldi and Lidl coming in though, with cheaper products produced in other countries then we'd still be paying mental prices for everything.

Lidl are starting to get a lot of irish products in, I noticed last week, while tesco was selling scottish smoked salmon, lidl was selling irish smoked salmon and thats just for a start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

I try to buy Irish produce whenever possible... One thing that gets me though is since Jacobs closed down I can't find an Irish biscuit anywhere.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Heres my list:
    tayto
    snowballs
    brennans bread
    supervalu milk
    supervalu cheese
    supervalu ham slices
    supervalu mince meat
    eggs
    mushrooms
    flahavans porridge.

thats it for now.

Cranberry Juice? Cranberries don't grow here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

you cant beat a galtee rasher sandwich made with brennans bread!!!

And eggs from your own hens too! Irish tomatoes are the best too - grow em in the greenhouse in summer yum!!! pure Irish food - cant be beaten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Anyway Irish items in my fridge

Tesco Milk

Tesco Mince
    How do you know these are Irish?

themadchef wrote: »

Aldi have **** tons of Irish produce, its easier to buy Irish in Aldi than dunnes imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

googsy wrote: »
    I try to buy Irish produce whenever possible... One thing that gets me though is since Jacobs closed down I can't find an Irish biscuit anywhere.. :(

That is such a pity. I will be making a conscious effort from now on to buy irish. Looks like any snacks from now on will be tayto chrisps.

There's a use for the thousands of acres of bog that Bord Na Mona have that's no longer viable for peat production... Bogland is ideal for growing Cranberries. :)
    wyndham wrote: »

wyndham wrote: »

God damn it - what kind of lies is on supervalus packaging.

Thats is such a pity. I will be making a conscious effort from now on to buy irish. Looks like any snacks from now on will be tayto chrisps.

Ah yes.. snacks :) forgot about them. There's a company called "Irish Buscuits" but it's owned by Jacobs and was operated out of Tallaght too... funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Lidl are starting to get a lot of irish products in, I noticed last week, while tesco was selling scottish smoked salmon, lidl was selling irish smoked salmon and thats just for a start

Aldi have **** tons of Irish produce, its easier to buy Irish in Aldi than dunnes imo.

I know they have lots of Irish products. My point is they brought the cheaper products first. Without them, Tesco and Dunnes would still be charging what ever they like, regardless of country of origin.

There's a use for the thousands of acres of bog that Bord Na Mona have that's no longer viable for peat production... Bogland is ideal for growing Cranberries. :)

There is a business start up idea for somebody.

There is a business start up idea for somebody.

The Irish Cranberry Juice Company. lol... if only I had the dosh :|

The Irish Cranberry Juice Company. lol... if only I had the dosh :|

I live in a bog - you can use my shed for a factory

How do you know these are Irish?.

Their milk has the national dairy council symbol :)

How do you know these are Irish?

:confused:

It says it on the item

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

OPENROAD wrote: »
    :confused:

It says it on the item

There's tons of stuff labelled Irish that isn't always, that is only packaged here or whatever.

There's tons of stuff labelled Irish that isn't always, that is only packaged here or whatever.

Has the national dairy council logo on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I was given a bottle of ''Irish Cream Liqueur'' that was made in Kiev.

I don't even drink.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Giselle wrote: »

Pass it along, share the fun:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Giselle wrote: »

To compensate for the Chicken Kievs made in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

We need to emblazon the tricolour on every single Irish product - yes, all over each one.

Yes, I did get this pathetically tribal nationalistic idea from the Union Jacks which have suddenly been placed over an enormous number of products in my local Tesco....

Dunnes are abysmal when it comes to promoting Irish produce. And as buyers, they treat Irish companies horribly, particularly withholding payment for the maximum length possible knowing that suppliers dare not challenge this. Dunnes have been abusing their position in Irish retail for decades. Superquinn was much better for promoting Irish produce (and culture) when the Quinn family ran it. It's gone downhill since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Whilst we're at it we should only include Irish born players in the Irish football team....shouldn't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

**slaps to the first person who lists Cadbury** ;)

Dionysus wrote: »
    We need to emblazon the tricolour on every single Irish product - yes, all over each one.

Yes, I did get this pathetically tribal nationalistic idea from the Union Jacks which have suddenly been placed over an enormous number of products in my local Tesco....

Dunnes are abysmal when it comes to promoting Irish produce. And as buyers, they treat Irish companies horribly, particularly withholding payment for the maximum length possible knowing that suppliers dare not challenge this. Dunnes have been abusing their position in Irish retail for decades. Superquinn was much better for promoting Irish produce (and culture) when the Quinn family ran it. It's gone downhill since.

Not in my Tesco store. And remember Tesco is a UK store, go abroad and you can be sure Irish companies will promote Irish goods abroad.

Again if Irish products/ shops are price competitive but when you have Irish shops that are more expensive, why should you pay the more expensive price, they also have to compete with the internet these days, again if you can save significantly online, why would you buy in store?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I realise many people either don't like or haven't tried blue cheese, but Cashel Blue cheese is a world-class product produced in Ireland.

Ballymaloe relish seems to go with everything from the fry-up to the late night sandwich.

Advertisement