Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a mod or admin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Jesus, that's one angry looking cat. Then again, I would be pretty pissed off if someone was wearing me too.

You're a cat?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm a mod on a rather popular gaming forum, and I don't get coke or hookers, tell me boards mods, what is your secret? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

People that are mods on this site have little else to be doing with there lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I'd love to be a mod some day just for the personal thrill of imposing a sadistic dictatorial regime upon a forum ... muhahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

ShaneU wrote: »
    I'm a mod on a rather popular gaming forum, and I don't get coke or hookers,

Not even at Christmas ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I'd love to be a mod some day just for the personal thrill of imposing a sadistic dictatorial regime upon a forum ... muhahaha!

That post wont do you any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Saying that it would be nice if some sort of democratic modship was imposed with e-elections as to who becomes mod held every couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Saying that it would be nice if some sort of democratic modship was imposed with e-elections as to who becomes mod held every couple of months.

best idea I've heard this year

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

What does it take to become a mod? I am thinking of quitting my job and enrolling in mod school! Whats the pay and perks like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

To become a moderator one must be a beautiful person , both in appearance and spirit....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    What does it take to become a mod? I am thinking of quitting my job and enrolling in mod school! Whats the pay and perks like?

No pay ,it's voluntary and so is most of the admin jobs too ,it's all done by volunteers willing to give up their time to make the site tick over nicely

Spirit eh? So I need to be a miserable mofo and non receptive to any other opinion than my own? I think I have all the credentials!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

delancey42 wrote: »
    To become a moderator one must be a beautiful person , both in appearance and spirit....:)

Or have a clue what PSNI recruitment is.

No pay ,it's voluntary and so is most of the admin jobs too ,it's all done by volunteers willing to give up their time to make the site tick over nicely

Eh, im out! And I was even considering giving up my 100K pa job and company car!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Worth it for the company coke and hookers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    If I were a Mod I would probably ban myself :pac:

Only an idiot would do something like that :rolleyes:

Turns out if you ban yourself you can't actually unban yourself and you have to ask a co-mod to do it :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Given or received?

Thats for any wannabe mod's to find out ;)

cant ruin the surprise for them

Eh, im out! And I was even considering giving up my 100K pa job and company car!

Im sure a few of the mods and admins have good jobs outside of boards ,And they just do it because they like boards ,I have seen mods and admins answering posts at 03:00 in the morning and apologising to people because they couldn't get back sooner because of family stuff ,takes dedication IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You have to be asked ,you don't apply

I Mod on two forum here now, it used to be three. On each of them I PM'd the resident Mods and asked to be considered for the position when one became available.

Of course at the time I was active on all the forum, I dropped one as it comflicted with work.

For your info.

Im sure a few of the mods and admins have good jobs outside of boards ,And they just do it because they like boards ,I have seen mods and admins answering posts at 03:00 in the morning and apologising to people because they couldn't get back sooner because of family stuff ,takes dedication IMO

Jesus chill woman, all I was saying is im not going into the fulltime professional modding just yet!

• Advertisement

Jesus chill woman, all I was saying is im not going into the fulltime professional modding just yet!

Jesus! Im not a woman ,and not having a go horse;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

The first requirement is that you must have no life. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

If anyone of ye gets the job will ye for god sake use common sense and let threads flow and embrace debate not hinder it at every oportunity because you disagree with someones opinion. Most mods do a good job but there are a few on a mission!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

In soviet russia, you dont mod boards.ie, boards.ie mods you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

tech2 wrote: »
    That post wont do you any favours.

meaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I Mod on two forum here now, it used to be three. On each of them I PM'd the resident Mods and asked to be considered for the position when one became available.

Of course at the time I was active on all the forum, I dropped one as it comflicted with work.

For your info.

You threatened them, didn't you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Larianne wrote: »
    You threatened them, didn't you!

Yup, said I'd post my bikini photo all over their forum... Have you seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yup, said I'd post my bikini photo all over their forum... Have you seen it?

erm, no and no thanks! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Onkle wrote: »
    Turns out if you ban yourself you can't actually unban yourself and you have to ask a co-mod to do it :o

I take it you tried then?

At least a co-mod could reinstate you, wish it was that simple for HMods :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

delancey42 wrote: »

No really?

How often does a mod job come about. Do you need a certain amount of mods per user or when another mod quits?

Advertisement