Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone without water in Limk?

• 25-12-2010 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭

I have no water from my cold tap since midday.
    The hot tap has normal supply but I believe that's from the attic tank?

I'm not sure if it's a frozen pipe or if the water's off in the area (Northside)

Anyone else affected?

John.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

tippman1 wrote: »
    I have no water from my cold tap since midday.
    The hot tap has normal supply but I believe that's from the attic tank?

I'm not sure if it's a frozen pipe or if the water's off in the area (Northside)

Anyone else affected?

John.

We've had no water upstairs since yesterday. The taps in the kitchen still work though. I'm in Caherdavin. My brother has friends near Ashbrook and Clareview who have had similar problems since last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Lots of places without water on the northside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

no water from afternoon,i am in castletroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

No water in Cois Ghruda since yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

no electricity around lunch time out Fr. Russell Rd, back now thankfully before dark.
    (Weird its happened every Christmas day for the last few years for a few mins at a time,
    cant complain it could be far worse though)

My Hot tap downstairs wont work and the Rads upstairs wont work, The Rads downstairs all work fine, No problems with the tank in the attic (maybe there is but its still topping itself when running the taps upstairs) or the cold taps though. everything was working fine up until last night.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Mains water supply gone in Corbally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

water and leccy here in raheen.
    Got up this morning and was taking a shower and noticed very little pressure from cold tap - tank in attic was half empty and mains pipe to it frozen.
    Inspected a little further (removed insulation on some pipes) only to find one pipe (a mains pipe) split from the frozen water.
    replaced that
    and thankfully having heating on all day and the attic door open defrosted it and we're back on track - just the electric shower out of commission now which has been offline since Monday - but I can live with that.

Was outside just a few mins ago and it's definitely warmer out there... cold, but not as bad.
    hope this thaw is coming..
    Sounds like a few of ye have some frozen pipes - would recommend checking them out before it does thaw out so that you can turn off any water before it becomes an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Newport. I know, I know.

Water gone since this morning. Only working off the upstairs tank right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

No water in Clarina all day, well at least in my house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

im in dromard, rhebogue road, we've no water since last night, now the gas burner wont heat the radiators because the pressure is gone ? whats going on, everything was fine, even during the really cold the last week or so ? i have a small 2 yr old in the house and all we can do is heat the sitting room ....any word on a fix ? havent found any mention or word from the council on any websites, ffs would have to happen christmas day !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I've water alright. It started to pour down through my ceiling at 3 o'clock today :mad:

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭LB6

Whatever ye do - make sure that there's water in the tank in the attic's - otherwise you could do serious damage to the tank in the hot-press!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,339 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No water out here in Caherconlish since Thursday, being using bottled water and rationing it from the tank since. Electricity was out for 2 hours yesterday evening too. Thaw cannot arrive too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

water in corbally, but our pipes in the attic froze so no hot water or showers:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

If your water main to house is frozen or the water main in the area is frozen resulting in no water supply then there is little you can do except ;
    - Open stop cock outside house.
    - Pour kettle after kettle of near boiling water into stop cock enclosure.
    - You may need to do this 5 to ten times.
    The hot water flows along the mains pipe top your house and along the council mains. It only needs to defrost the ice a little and the water will begin to flow. The de-icing may not happen immediately so be aware if you have taps on inside.

If your pipes are frozen inside your property then things are more serious. When the thaw comes burst pipes and fittings will start to leak. It is essential that you have water turned off at the mains and from the water tank until such time as you can check for leaks. Once leaks are located you can mend and then turn water back on.

I fear a huge amount of people are going to be flooded when the thaw comes next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Is anyone without water in Caherdaving this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

No water on ground floor a pipe might have burst as there's small flooding in the kitchen but water upstairs works.

Gneez wrote: »
    No water on ground floor a pipe might have burst as there's small flooding in the kitchen but water upstairs works.
    No flooding but downstairs cold doesnt work, have no idea how to unfreeze the mains pipe especially if its not exposed anywhere and its under ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Is anyone without water in Caherdavin this morning?

I'm in Caherdavin Heights and have no water since yesterday.

Same as Cleese....no cold water downstairs. Tank in attic is nearly empty so I'm guessing the outside mains supply is frozen and we'll just have to wait it out till the thaw takes effect.

John.

I'm in Caherdavin Heights and have no water since yesterday.

Same as Cleese....no cold water downstairs. Tank in attic is nearly empty so I'm guessing the outside mains supply is frozen and we'll just have to wait it out till the thaw takes effect.

John.
    See this is the thing I rang the Emergency water board and they said nothing was reported as being wrong from Caherdavin so I am not sure what to do .

• Advertisement

I rang the Emergency water board

Do you have a no. for them? Maybe if a few people rang, they'd do something?

Do you have a no. for them? Maybe if a few people rang, they'd do something?
    Here it is :

061-417833.

Cleese wrote: »
    Here it is :

061-417833.
    They have seemingly started hanging up on people.

They have seemingly started hanging up on people.

Yeah......engaged. I reckon the floodgates of phonecalls have overwhelmed them! Pardon my pun..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

YFlyer wrote: »
    No water in Cois Ghruda since yesterday afternoon.
    did you got the water yet???

I am in cois ghruda too, still no sign of water...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Reporting from Caherdavin.

Yes water completely gone for the entire area. Confirmed with neighbours etc.

My sister went to mass and unconfirmed news is that the council have turned off water supplies since there's bursted pipes everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,339 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Despite the thaw today, the ground is still very cold. It could be another day or two before the mains really thaws out. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Limk_Lad

Anyone know about the water supply in the dublin road area, have hot water, and from the tank, no mains supply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

I'm still without water in the Clarina area since yesterday morning, anyone else near or in this area in the same predicament?? have tried to ring Limk Co. Council but ringing engaged all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

same in Mungret, still no water....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I'm in ballycummin and have had no water since Tuesday evening. Right pain in the ass having to travel for a shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭LB6

CHM - down the road from Ballycummin has water. No issue - bar neighbours with frozen pipes and empty tanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

In Westbury. No water from the cold tap downstairs. The rest are working but are drawing form the tank in the attic. (which is full) no frozen pipes inside. Mains off i wonder?

No answer from Clare Co Co and nothing on their website since the 23rd.

My mum got on to the Water board there is big problem with the reservoir affecting many parts of Limerick and they are currently working on the issue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Water tank in the attic filled up during the night. Not sure if it'd keep refilling if we tested it though.

• Advertisement

Water tank in the attic filled up during the night

Is it ok if I pop round with my dirty dishes for a quick wash-up?

I promise to bring a doz. cans as payment. :D

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Dooradoyle,
    Had no problems last year and with the earlier freeze but Christmas week freezing weather, water not coming coming from the mains since Christmas eve morning. Now the tank is empty so I have to conserve water even now more stringently. I have have to go to work to wash myself not enough to spare for a cloth bath.
    Thankfully the Thaw has started, I expect water to be back by tomorrow tonight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Corbally. My mains water went yesterday morning. Not sure why it hasn't unfrozen as the temps are much milder since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Limerick City Council and other Local Authorities could have helped people a lot by giving advice on their Web site before the freeze came.
    They could have advised on
    - how to reduce risk of freezing pipes.
    - what to do once external pipes are frozen.
    - what to do once internal pipes are frozen.
    - How to prevent flooding when pipes thaw out.

I fear half the countries houses and commercial premises will be flooded now that the thaw has set in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Same story with us, no hot water and only cold water on upstairs tap. Havn't been using this because we don't wanna damage the pipes or anything. We are renting the house. If there are leaks or burst pipes, will the letting agent cover the repairs or does the fault lie with us? I already advised him when the water went just in case it might cause damage. Hopefully will thaw soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

On Church Road, no water since 22nd. A buddy of mine in Huntsfield is the same - only 3 houses in a whole road have water and apparently cos they left their taps running?

Any idea when we can expect the thaw to unfreeze pipes? Someone else told me to leave all the taps turned on so as not to build up pressure when the water does start again???? Sorry Im a complete novice and have never had to deal with this before. The conflicting advice is hard to process!

Oh and our heating (gas) has just stopped working now:rolleyes:

My water has truly gone now. It's bad now. My missus, due to her medical condition, needs to use the "facilities" a lot. :(

Neighbours don't have water either. We may have to head to the pub. :D + :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Waters back thank fook ! Magically appeared round 10 pm !

iPwnage wrote: »
    Waters back thank fook ! Magically appeared round 10 pm !

Lucky git. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    In Westbury. No water from the cold tap downstairs. The rest are working but are drawing form the tank in the attic. (which is full) no frozen pipes inside. Mains off i wonder?

No answer from Clare Co Co and nothing on their website since the 23rd.
    mains working in westbury.a lot of frozen pipes tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Us and a few of our neighbours in Cappamore have had no water for a while. Neighbours have had no water since this cold spell took hold (!) and us since Christmas Eve morning. Had to buy in loads of bottled water so we could be clean and tidy for Christmas Day. :D

I'm assuming that it's frozen at the stopcock on the road and am waiting impatiently for the pipes to thaw so that I can start flushing the loos properly. Let's just say that toilet facilities have been kept to a bare minimum since Friday :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gabor Ujhelyi

we have no water in Rhebogue, River Rd. since 24.12 (friday). we`re doing ok, to sort the toilet problems using plastic bags...is it funny?:)

Still high and dry in Caherdavin.

Very little information on local radio, and the 'emergency' no. for City
    is engaged any time I try to call. I got through to someone yesterday and they took my details and said someone would call back, but I'm still waiting.

Our authorities should get their public information act together.

Even if they sent some basic information on the city supply situation, to 95fm, it would be a help.

I don't know if the mains water is off in Caherdavin or whether the supply into my house is just frozen locally.

I don't think my water issue is classified as an "Emergency" which I why I haven't rang the 1890 number for Tipperary.

It's getting to the point where I will need to. I'm heading off to Aldi/Lidl soon to buy lots of water so we can flush the toilets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Bottled water supplies are also running low in the supermarkets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement