Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will a new government change the motor tax rates?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Seweryn wrote: »
    ...And their autobahns without the speed limit and without charges. You can't beat it...

i must improve my conversational german so, ive yet to see the downside of the father land

540 euro to tax a 750il , hmm strong consideration...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

i must improve my conversational german so, ive yet to see the downside of the father land

540 euro to tax a 750il , hmm strong consideration...
    Remember that motor tax and purchase price are linked on older cars - if you could tax a 750i here for €500 then you'd pay a lot more to buy it. In fact given the Irish obsession with tax the overall cost of ownership would probably be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jesh1

ninty9er wrote: »
    The new system is more expensive for bigger polluters than the old one is for bigger engines.

I just replaced my 1.6 petrol Astra with a 1.8 petrol Mondeo. Under emissions I each attracts a rate of €630. They are pretty average cars. As it currently stands the Mondeo hits €551 and the Astra €445.

The system as introduced was not designed to favour anyone. The system favours low emissions cars. So buy owning a 2008 onwards 520d your annual motor tax is currently €156 or by owning a similar aged Yaris it is €104. If you own an older Yaris 1.0 it is €151, which is still quite cheap.

My attitude isn't one of roll over. It's one that appreciates the reality of the situation. Lots of rich people that drove big engined petrol cars have switched to lower polluting (co2/per km) models. The policy has worked. It was not designed to worry about prices, though the government attempted to rectify this through changing the VAT basis for dealers, which the SIMI (having requested it for years) did a last minute U-Turn on.

The new tax basis was not designed to make your owner experience cheaper, its purpose is to incentivise cleaner motoring. Looking at the stats (ignoring the manufacture as new cars get bought regardless) it is clear that this has worked.

Imagine a government policy that has worked and what do we do? Moan that it doesn't work well enough for our own particular individual situation.

HorseSh!t……..it’s purpose is to generate revenue. The Government don’t care about high polluting cars.
    Step 1. Screw up the Tax system…….Piss Joe blogs off by crippling the value of his/her pre 08 model
    Step 2. Scrappage Scheme………..ummm,i really should get rid of my high cost motor
    Step 3. Increase fuel duty..........This car is becoming expensive, Better buy a new "efficient!" one.
    If the government gave a crap about being green, running an old car is greener than buying a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Jesh1 wrote: »
    If the government gave a crap about being green, running an old car is greener than buying a new one
    That is very true. The main problem is that the average person is BS'ed by the talking heads that actually buying a new ("fuel efficient") car is the only way of saving the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

HorseSh!t……..it’s purpose is to generate revenue. The Government don’t care about high polluting cars.
    Step 1. Screw up the Tax system…….Piss Joe blogs off by crippling the value of his/her pre 08 model
    Step 2. Scrappage Scheme………..ummm,i really should get rid of my high cost motor
    Step 3. Increase fuel duty..........This car is becoming expensive, Better buy a new "efficient!" one.
    If you knew anything about the taxation system you wouldn't be able to take yourself seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jesh1

ninty9er wrote: »
    Lots of rich people that drove big engined petrol cars have switched to lower polluting (co2/per km) models. The policy has worked.

You must be a retard so;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

, germany is awesome

awesome enough for you to want to pay other taxes like income tax at ther rates? or just the bits you pick and choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

that german system is far better, even on a 3 litre diesel that does 260 co2's its only 585 euro to tax it , germany is awesome

i like the UK too , pretty much any country that I can tax a band G (the only band that interests me) car for less than 600 euro is good enough for me

Band G cars are dinosours - soon to be extinct.
    The sooner the better - or we'll all be extinct!

Tae laidir wrote: »
    The sooner the better - or we'll all be extinct!

everyone could drive a 750il for the rest of my lifetime without killing everyone , I have 60 or so years left on the planet and i intend to spend it all driving large >3 litre cars in the 'G' band , unless somehow as if by magic mercedes comes up with some way to put the 6.2L V12 into band F , then ill move down that ladder,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Tae laidir wrote: »

Cause Ireland says so? There are some Oil Sheiks/CEOs/Millionaire Playboys who'll be buying band G cars for a long time yet. Just cause Paddy has suddenly thought they're unenvironmental (Which is baloney), doesn't mean the rest of the world's lost its sanity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You must be a retard so;)

Less of the personal insults please. Infracted.

I have 60 or so years left on the planet and i intend to spend it all driving large >3 litre cars in the 'G' band

You trading in the D max soon so ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

And just in case there's any doubting this was discussed here at the time:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055075189&page=3

RoverJames wrote: »
    You trading in the D max soon so ? :p

the d-max will do for now (its a band G car if i paid private tax...) but im considering buying myself a 740 or similar (750 if i could find it) for my 22nd birthday next year

Advertisement