Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climber airlifted off Co Kerry mountain

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

why limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Why waste resources rescuing gobshítes like this? :confused:
    Leave the stupid fcuker there I say, serve Him right for going up there in weather like this.

Interestingly it cost You me and everyone else nothing to go get this person. He does't pay either...

Should we put a stupidity feature on the 999 system. Almost all calls involve stupid people, wither they were chasing an inflated bladder around a field avoiding people running into them, left a cigarette lighting while they fell asleep, went fishing in a storm etc.

The hills are't much more dangerous in this time of year vs any if you know what you are doing. He could have been a very compident person with all the gear but the added effort walking in snow and Ice got the better of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He might get landed with a bill and then he can negotiate over it. Much the way the county councils often charge for the fire brigade and then you can talk to them to get it waived or insurance will pay it
    He should've been airlifted from Kerry and dropped in Limerick... that'd teach him.

I'd feel safer on a night out in Limerick then Tralee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Not only is it a stupid fcuking thing to do but he's also risking other peoples lives and limb by doing so. Most of the mountain rescue people do this for free, out of the goodness of their hearts. Even in summertime some people who go mountain climbing haven't a clue what they're doing and are in no way prepared for it.
    Not only should they have to foot the bill for the rescue but the should be prosecuted for endangering the lives of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

maglite wrote: »
    Interestingly it cost You me and everyone else nothing to go get this person. He does't pay either...

Should we put a stupidity feature on the 999 system. Almost all calls involve stupid people, wither they were chasing an inflated bladder around a field avoiding people running into them, left a cigarette lighting while they fell asleep, went fishing in a storm etc.

The hills are't much more dangerous in this time of year vs any if you know what you are doing. He could have been a very compident person with all the gear but the added effort walking in snow and Ice got the better of him.
    i agree with you here in that spending time out in the open climbing with the addition of ice and snow, tired him hou faster and easier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ali Babba wrote: »
    Not only is it a stupid fcuking thing to do but he's also risking other peoples lives and limb by doing so. Most of the mountain rescue people do this for free, out of the goodness of their hearts. Even in summertime some people who go mountain climbing haven't a clue what they're doing and are in no way prepared for it.
    Not only should they have to foot the bill for the rescue but the should be prosecuted for endangering the lives of others.

We risk peoples lives every day, how many rescuers die every year compared to innocent people killed in car crashes. Going swimming in the sea and there is a chance you may need to be rescued, go on a horse and someone could get killed, go sailing and its possible you may get into difficulties, canoeing, lets all sit on our couches for life typing and minimise the risk of ever needing to be rescued or assisted in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

robbie7730 wrote: »
    We risk peoples lives every day, how many rescuers die every year compared to innocent people killed in car crashes. Going swimming in the sea and there is a chance you may need to be rescued, go on a horse and someone could get killed, go sailing and its possible you may get into difficulties, canoeing, lets all sit on our couches for life typing and minimise the risk of ever needing to be rescued or assisted in any way.

At the very least it's irresponsible to head off up a mountain without being prepared, the same goes for any sport or hobby, i've seen clowns go off out in boats without as much as a life jacket or a mobile phone and cause major trouble for the rescue services. There's a difference between being responsible and getting into trouble and being wreckless and getting into trouble. Chances are if you're prepared you won't get into trouble in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Going up a mountain in these conditions on your own is a class A stupid offence - glad he was rescued and will be ok - but if he was my son I would hug him and give him a slap for stupidity -and then hug him again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Fair play to him - He tried something hard and gets slated for it -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

He probably climbed up there to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

PeakOutput wrote: »
    dont really see a problem with someone challenging themselves if they know what they are doing

people climb harder mountains than any we have in ireland in worse conditions then we ever see in ireland all the time.

just him going up there dosnt make him a gob****e

it does when he calls 999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    So he's a gobshite because he went climbing with some wittle snow about? I never heard of someone doing that before :rolleyes:
    Not agreeing with the "leave him there to die, we shouldn't be funding such a rescue, he did it for attention" rabble and he may be a very experienced/prepared climber, but it's hardly "some wittle snow".
    If someone went climbing the mountain in June and he had to be rescued, would that make them a gobshite?

I suppose so going by your opinion :pac:
    Well atmospheric conditions aren't like this in June...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1223/kerry.html

Why waste resources rescuing gobshítes like this? :confused:
    Leave the stupid fcuker there I say, serve Him right for going up there in weather like this.

You need a big kick up the thoin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Dudess wrote: »
    Not agreeing with the "leave him there to die, we shouldn't be funding such a rescue, he did it for attention" rabble and he may be a very experienced/prepared climber, but it's hardly "some wittle snow".

Well atmospheric conditions aren't like this in June...

Hibernation is the only solution for us

Ali Babba wrote: »
    At the very least it's irresponsible to head off up a mountain without being prepared, the same goes for any sport or hobby, i've seen clowns go off out in boats without as much as a life jacket or a mobile phone and cause major trouble for the rescue services. There's a difference between being responsible and getting into trouble and being wreckless and getting into trouble. Chances are if you're prepared you won't get into trouble in the first place.

A bit silly going on his own alright. But maybe he does it regular, and just got caught out. Or maybe he is a bit lacking in the common sense dept. Hard to know.

karlog wrote: »
    He probably climbed up there to live.

Or to chill out.

Advertisement