Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climber airlifted off Co Kerry mountain

Options
  • 23-12-2010 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

A Coast Guard helicopter from Shannon has rescued a climber who got into difficulties while climbing the Slieve Mish Mountain Range outside Tralee in Co Kerry this afternoon.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1223/kerry.html

Why waste resources rescuing gobshítes like this? :confused:
    Leave the stupid fcuker there I say, serve Him right for going up there in weather like this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

because

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

PogMoThoin wrote: »

That's their job. To save gob****es like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Leave the stupid fcuker there I say, serve Him right for going up there in weather like this.
    Yeah! Let that fecker die!!!! Great Christmas prezzie for him and his family!!!!

FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Next time you need an emergency service, il tell them not to bother...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

A bit foolish to be going climbing, especially with the weather, but the lad doesn't deserve to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

You're cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Next time you need an emergency service, il tell them not to bother...:)

I don't attempt stupid shít like this, I can't even walk to the car without the fear of falling on My hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Maybe if he hasn't a valid reason for been there :-) he could pay towards the rescue,..don't they do that with the fire brigade ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Stupid bastard, hope is dick has frost bite

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I don't attempt stupid shít like this, I can't even walk to the car without the fear of falling on My hole

dont really see a problem with someone challenging themselves if they know what they are doing

people climb harder mountains than any we have in ireland in worse conditions then we ever see in ireland all the time.

just him going up there dosnt make him a gob****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,726 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Kerry Mountain Rescue were on Morning Ireland today warning about extreme conditions. I would like to think that nobody else will put themselves in danger but I suspect that this guy will not be the only one having to be rescued.

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20101223,2876672,2876697,flash,257

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Given that we don't provide the death penalty for murder, refusing rescue to someone because they are an idiot seems a little harsh.

The_Minister's political beliefs #4582: 'Even the stupid are citizens'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

yeah he should not have gone alone either but that is what the emergency services are for.

By the op's logic if I eat loads of crap food and don't take exercise the ambulance should not come and help me if I have a heart attack.

the place they are on about is close enough to tralee and you can access it from the main road its a tough climb too. I would not be doing it on my own. especially in this weather.

People get into difficulty on mountains even in fine weather. It is an inherent danger of hillwalking, and can happen even to experienced, well prepared climbers.

Perhaps the OP would like to just ban mountain climbing all together? Horse riding is rather dangerous too maybe that should be banned also? Perhaps sailing too, in fact all outdoor activities where people might be injured and require assistance.

For all we know this guy could have been armed with crampons, ice picks and the lot. The OP's call for the guy to be left to die says a lot more about the OP than it does about the climber.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Perhaps the OP would like to just ban mountain climbing all together? Horse riding is rather dangerous too maybe that should be banned also? Perhaps sailing too, in fact all outdoor activities

Eh, come on... what about driving and flying, actually travel, ban that too. I see from PogMoThoin's previous posts he's fairly good with the pc. Maybe he could design games that simulate anything that's vaguely dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

So because you have difficulty getting to your car maybe no one else should try either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i hope the poor fellow is okay, he must have been frightened, freezing and wishing he didnt do it,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

He contacted the emergency services complaining of exhaustion after he had set out alone from Curraheen, near Tralee, this morning.

Lazy cnutox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

maybe just send him the bill

he was afraid he would not make it home if he did that, i am thinking it was tlhe smart thing to do, maybe he was starting of have hypothermia and panicked, at least he will be with his family for christmas

• Advertisement

sollar wrote: »

Id say the cardiac unit would be called if he opened that bill.

is he visiting the country or was he a local person, he was lucky to have carried his phone and that he was able to tell them where he was located

serve Him right for going up there in weather like this.

Going up there in this weather? Have you seen whats its like climbing proper mountains not the hills we have here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Yeah, they should have left him there to die in the cold. I hate when people avail of services paid for by their taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

sollar wrote: »

agreed...idiots like this who ignore warnings should be harshly fined for stunts like this..
    I've no objections to people climbing but this rescue probably cost a few thousand and is definitely needed elsewhere than rescuing gobshítes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

These people do it for the bragging rights.

Me: It was really tough walking to the shops.
    They: I walked up a 3,000 foot mountain in minus ten degrees in my Speedos, and not a bother.

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    agreed...idiots like this who ignore warnings should be harshly fined for stunts like this..
    I've no objections to people climbing but this rescue probably cost a few thousand and is definitely needed elsewhere than rescuing gobshítes.

I guess you have not drove anywhere after warnings to avoid driving etc, again its amazing how perfect and responsible some people are in everything they do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Sc@recrow wrote: »

So he's a gobshite because he went climbing with some wittle snow about? I never heard of someone doing that before :rolleyes:

If someone went climbing the mountain in June and he had to be rescued, would that make them a gobshite?

I suppose so going by your opinion :pac:

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    So he's a gobshite because he went climbing with some wittle snow about? I never heard of someone doing that before :rolleyes:

If someone went climbing the mountain in June and he had to be rescued, would that make them a gobshite?

I suppose so going by your opinion :pac:

Yes it happens at any time of the year.
    More people were rescued off the M50 this week than the kerry mountains in years by the look of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

He should've been airlifted from Kerry and dropped in Limerick... that'd teach him.

Advertisement