Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Christmas the most over hyped event in human history?

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

i forgot jesus was a jew. now im done celebrating christmas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

What a pointless thread. Thank god i'm not the only loser posting on christmas day!

Merry christmas losers!

Well you know where you can stick yer merry christmas loser, because you are only speaking for yourself!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

45772 wrote: »
    Yes OP im with u all the way..Christmas is overated. I decided this year not to exchange gifts with my family, after my dinner and watched tv with family and replied to texts I spent the remainder of the evening catching up on work. I like Christmas but the hype pre-christmas gets to me all the more this year since I have the flu...maybe thats partly why im kranky and posting on this thread! :o

If you really had the flu you wouldn't be posting on boards, eating your Christmas dinner or catching up on work!!! . You'd be flat on your back in bed sweating and shivering and moaning and groaning and wishing you were dead. You have a cold or a sore throat my friend. :D

I haven't been to a doctor in 20 years. I have a high pain threshold. I've been the only member of staff in the family business capable of working after all of us caught a bad dose of something at the same time. However I got the real flu once and holy fcuk, I've never felt so bad before or since. That taught me that all the other times I thought I had the Flu were actually just bad colds. The flu is very serious business indeed and after having it once can see why there is such a big deal about getting the weaker members of society vaccinated and why their is such fear of pandemics.

Sorry but I just have to point that out to people who say the kind of thing you just said or something like, I had to come home early from the pub after only 4 pints because I have a bad dose of the flu.....etc etc Its very simple, If one can do anything other than lie in bed wishing one were dead then one doesn't have the Flu :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

Christmas to me is meeting up with friends, having a load of food and beers, watching good films and sh*te TV, time off work, giving and getting some pressies and generally having a bit of craic.

There are some people out there who genuinely find Christmas a hard time, because of the loss of loved ones, or maybe because they're on their own, and for them I know and understand Christmas can be tough, and I sympathize with that, I lost someone just before last Christmas and it was horrible.

But all those people who just f*ckin MOAN their way through it really p*ss me off, be glad for what you have ffs!

Rant over! Merry Christmas Boardsies! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Both Christmas & New Year are so overhyped, Christmas puts more pressure on people, for the expense of presents etc. I know people who couldn't go to family because they couldn't afford the presents this year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 45772

Dear Calibos...i am well aware of the meaning of the flu...thankfully I was able to eat my christmas dinner as I am over the worst of the flu...yes one does have to eventually eat again..I have waso n the flat of my back but that doesnt get silage into cattle..does it??..I was refering to the PRE-Christmas hype in this thread...PRE-Christmas...when I actually has the flu...your some nit-pick Calibos!!

twat...uhh i had to come from the pub after only 4 pints..u clearly the real die hard are'nt u!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

angel01 wrote: »
    Both Christmas & New Year are so overhyped, Christmas puts more pressure on people, for the expense of presents etc. I know people who couldn't go to family because they couldn't afford the presents this year :(
    i bet their family would not care about presents, would rather share time with them, i did not go out of my way about presents this or last year due to loss of employment, i let them know i did not have money to spend on things that were not important in the first place, kept my spending to 10 to 15 euro per person 5 people and they were happy with what they got, i was happy with what i got, and anyway it is the birth of our lord we are celebrating, he was born in stable, donkey for transport, candle for light, so i dont see why we should feel compelled to feel under pressure, the three wise men did not have satnav, they used the star of bethlem to find jesus,

Dear Calibos...i am well aware of the meaning of the flu...thankfully I was able to eat my christmas dinner as I am over the worst of the flu...yes one does have to eventually eat again..I have waso n the flat of my back but that doesnt get silage into cattle..does it??..I was refering to the PRE-Christmas hype in this thread...PRE-Christmas...when I actually has the flu...your some nit-pick Calibos!!

.......and your some fella for filling in pertinent details after the fact mate :D

Do you or do you not acknowledge that 'I've got the flu' is the most erroneously used phrase in the English language at this time of year?

The reason this misuse of the term 'Flu' is such a nitpick of mine is that 99 times out of 100 when someone says they have the flu, what they actually have is a cold. You happen to be the 1 in a 100 after you clarified things after the fact. This is one of the reasons people don't take Flu preventative measures and pandemics etc seriously enough. Most of the population think, "Ah sure the Flu ain't so bad'. They don't realise that most of the population haven't actually had the flu and the thing they had which 'wasn't so bad' was actually just a bloody cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

No, I think Christmas is great. Apart from the togetherness and goodwill it seems the only holiday that makes people stop killing each other for the day i.e. england v germany on Christmas day in WWI, when they stopped killing and had a game of footy. So no IMO not over rated, in fact we should have 4 Christmases throughout the year. I'm atheist but I love Christmas.:D

twat...uhh i had to come from the pub after only 4 pints..u clearly the real die hard are'nt u!!

Just saw this post. Did you just call Moi a twat?? :D Personal abuse is frowned upon around these parts.

I am sorry that your reading comprehension skills aren't up to scratch.

Before your late clarification that you were in the final stages of recovery from the Flu over the Christmas period rather than in the midst of the Flu during Christmas, my point was that someone in the midst of the Flu would not be able to post on boards, eat their Christmas dinner, do some work after dinner etc They'd be in bed wishing they were dead. The pub and 4 pints thing was not about you. Don't you know that you didn't mention the pub? The pub thing was just another example of something one hears all the time from friends, "Yeah, I had to come home early from the pub after only 4 pints cause I think I have the flu....." If said hypothethetical person really had the flu, they wouldn't have been in any condition to go to the pub and have even 1 pint in the first place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Wasn't the most hyped-up event in human history back in the 19th century when some nutter proclaimed he had calculated when the world was going to end and Jesus would return, and thousands of people actually gave away absolutely everything they had?

When Jesus failed to materialise, the guy re-calculated, came up with a date 20 years down the line, and people again gave away all their possessions just before that date?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well, I have an opinion here and it is this..

Christmas is great for passing the time in the bleak mid winter. It (for many, not all) means a bit of time off work. It is an opportunity to relax a bit.. but wait!

Hey you have to buy in extra food and grog for those muppets you never see or hear from all year, you buy and send Christmas cards for the very same reason - mad altogether.

So you go visit your relatives and sit around in stupid hats and pull crackers. Hey ho, what a blast. All stuck together and all having a grand time really, really.

My family see each other all year round. We are reasonably close and therefore, Christmas is only for the old lady, who loves to see us all together. And we are happy to do that for her. But my god, we are itchy feet after a couple of hours, and honestly, if anyone is not bored on Christmas Day, would they mind telling me why? Sh1te telly, no where to escape :eek:

Bottom line for me, I do it for the Ma, but having lost my dad recently, and with a sister who is terminally ill, I find all the hoo haa a bit sad, and I get a bit sad too. Wishing they were still with us, and all is OK.

I am not a bah humbug, but honestly, on St. Stephen's Day, who cares what went on the day before? All out to the pub at the earliest opportunity! So much for family and friends eh?

Sorry, really sorry for the rant, but that is my view. Done for a reason, but I would rather be in the Canaries, or somewhere warm and non Christmassy.

Bereavement and loneliness are terrible for those going through it at this time, always remember that.

what makes you assume I am a fella??????????

nothing needs to be clarified to you btw...ur just gone off topic sunshine...uuuh is that personal abuse calling u sunshine!!!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

galwayrush wrote: »
    The millenium bug beat it hands down,
    Dean09 wrote: »
    No. The most over-hyped thing was either the Millenium bug or that whole Anthrax attack thing....

Oh dear God not this again. The was no Millenium Bug BECAUSE it was taken seriously and action was taken before it happened. If we had not have done that, then there would have been widespread problems.

Now the Millenium itself as a holiday - that was a joke. Overhyped, overpriced bull****

Advertisement