Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Korea ready for 'holy war' with the South

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Been a lot of back and forth between those two countries lately. Worrisome, to say the least, considering North Korea's stances on.. well, basically everything, paired with the fact that they claim to have nukes or worse.

North Korea, if I'm completely honest, freaks me out simply because their propaganda is so pervasive in not only their own culture but what gets out here. Nobody really knows for sure what will happen with them and when. A very dangerous wildcard considering the damage they have the potential to do.

Part that bothers me the most is all anyone can do is wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

liah wrote: »
    Been a lot of back and forth between those two countries lately. Worrisome, to say the least, considering North Korea's stances on.. well, basically everything, paired with the fact that they claim to have nukes or worse.

North Korea, if I'm completely honest, freaks me out simply because their propaganda is so pervasive in not only their own culture but what gets out here. Nobody really knows for sure what will happen with them and when. A very dangerous wildcard considering the damage they have the potential to do.

Part that bothers me the most is all anyone can do is wait and see.

too right man! I'm nursing a hangover at the minute too which makes this all seem way worse and out of proportion haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Posturing. Nothing will happen. At least, nothing major. Both have too much to lose to engage in a large scale war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's inevitable that there will be an exchange of live fire. The scale and escalation is uncertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Serious potential for disaster but saying that they don't have Russian backing anymore and China seem to be getting a bit pissed off with them so they could be flattened quickly if it came to it. Real problem is how much damage could they do before that happens if they have nukes because I don't see conscience as being a deterrent to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

North Korea is like an old fart with a shotgun waving his walking stick out the window. If you get within range you could find yourself with arse full of lead but realistically they are not very dangerous for the world at large. Even China its biggest ally sees them as a bit of a joke. Even though their army is huge they have little enough support from the starving populace and I think the sooner this thing plays out the better for those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

The fact is North Korea is a very sick and desperate state. There's no Soviet Union any more and China patently has no wish to see a war erupt on the Korean peninsula. So North Korea is utterly isolated. All they can do is throw tantrums and make life misery for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Looks like it wont be long before the North declares jihad on the South.

Merry Christmas Kim Jong-il, hope Santa brings you some bright lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What religion is north Korea? Aren't they the atheist country?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Why are they calling it a 'holy war'. I was of the impression the regime was against religion (as such)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This thread needs a poll, can atheists start holy wars.

Surely someone in North Korea realises that if they were to launch a nuclear attack against South Korea, they'd be as badly damaged by the blast? It'd be like Scotland launching an attack against Southern England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yep. No doubt them being faithless is a big reason for this. They should take Jesus Christ into their hearts and pray to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

kmick wrote: »
    North Korea is like an old fart with a shotgun waving his walking stick out the window. If you get within range you could find yourself with arse full of lead but realistically they are not very dangerous for the world at large. Even China its biggest ally sees them as a bit of a joke. Even though their army is huge they have little enough support from the starving populace and I think the sooner this thing plays out the better for those people.
    Thomas828 wrote: »
    The fact is North Korea is a very sick and desperate state. There's no Soviet Union any more and China patently has no wish to see a war erupt on the Korean peninsula. So North Korea is utterly isolated. All they can do is throw tantrums and make life misery for everyone else.
    +1 to these posts...I think they just want attention but most countries are like.."seriously...Get a life North Korea..."

Serious potential for disaster but saying that they don't have Russian backing anymore and China seem to be getting a bit pissed off with them so they could be flattened quickly if it came to it. Real problem is how much damage could they do before that happens if they have nukes because I don't see conscience as being a deterrent to them.
    This is the scary thought. They may just get the attention they've been looking for if this happens. N.Korea don't appear to be concerned with the consequences and what could happen if they drop a nuke...which makes them all the more likely to do it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Yep. No doubt them being faithless is a big reason for this. They should take Jesus Christ into their hearts and pray to him.

I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or serious. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

scrapsmac wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12067735

I know there's non stop bickering between the two but this doesn't sound good..
    In other news, China and Russian held live fire drills off the coast of California today......... Muppets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Einstein wrote: »
    +1 to these posts...I think they just want attention but most countries are like.."seriously...Get a life North Korea..."

This is the scary thought. They may just get the attention they've been looking for if this happens. N.Korea don't appear to be concerned with the consequences and what could happen if they drop a nuke...which makes them all the more likely to do it...
    you've that the other way round,America would love another war.
    And no better place to have it than in Asia to keep china in check,it's not bad enough they have Russia surrounded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Why are they calling it a 'holy war'. I was of the impression the regime was against religion (as such)?
    bbc have changed their title in the last half hour to "sacred" instead of "holy" probably a mistranslation. most likely has nothing to do with religion

But sacred still has religious overtones, does it not? I reckon we should take a leaf out of their book and invade the Aran Islands. Who is with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

ScumLord wrote: »

Kim Jong-il is their deity so calling them atheists isn't really accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

dlofnep wrote: »
    I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or serious. :p
    We can send Ian over to do some missionary work.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Yes, lets all focus on the semantics of is it a holy war or a sacred war, but at least we can all agree on the war part!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I reckon we should take a leaf out of their book and invade the Aran Islands. Who is with me?

I think that probably only requires you and a pointy stick. If more go it'll only get crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Doesn't the North want to take over the South? If they are serious, there clearly even crazier than I taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

i agree.....nothing will happen (major at least)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    We can send Ian over to do some missionary work.

dont you think theirs enough lunatics there already ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

danbohan wrote: »
    dont you think theirs enough lunatics there already ??
    He may never come back......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

The North Koreans treat Kim Yong Il like a god in flesh, remember they have no access to outside media, he can make them think whatever he wants them to. North Korea has the 4th largest army in the entire world. With 1,106,000 active troops and 8,200,000 in reserve.

Yes, it's probably just dick waving but if something happens the **** will hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

KeithAFC wrote: »

Yes like George W Bush and Tony Blair. No point killing lots of people unless you salve your conscience with a 'bit o' religion' first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Hedman wrote: »
    Kim Jong-il is their deity so calling them atheists isn't really accurate.

there are some churches in north korea, eastern orthodox and the like, but more than likely under state control and not packed out on sundays.

it's more kim il sung that north koreans revere. the closest thing they have to a religion is juchism. it's something along the lines of everyone pull together for state self sufficiency.

Advertisement