Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man who threw friendly snowball at policewoman charged with common assault.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 johnd12

wow...I am sure this will be easily overturned if it gets deep enough into court..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

bonerm wrote: »
    Nice prison tatoo on Deano there. I'm sure he was probably locked up for stealing toffees.

A tear for every police woman he's smacked in the head with a snowball!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Nobody belted them out with snowballs. If an ordinary person is getting belted with snowballs, they should be protected under law as well. The same rules should apply. I don't see any reason why they should be offered more protection, it's not like you can just push/hit an ordinary member of the public.

I suppose the difference is that you could throw the snowball back but a cop could get in serious trouble for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭gobythewall

Where are they when gurriers are feckin the things at auld ones? The Guards are quick to stand up for their own dignity, they're not always too concerned with the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

So many cops have such "complexes" about the most trivial stuff.
    Respect, funck that, She should have some respect for the courts system and not tie it up with bullsheet cases.

In the country where I primarily reside, this would just not happen and if it did:

1) You´d pay her capitan 20$ and the problem goes away
    2) If you took it personally you´d pay her capi 150$ and have her transferred to working in a remote part of the country, jungle etc.
    3) If she REALLY pissed you off, you could pay maybe $500 and have her "busted" for something like being crooked or accepting bribes(yeah I get the irony), dealing confiscated drugs etc and spend a nice time in ladies prison where they would most likely just kill her as an ex-cop...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

If the PC did throw a snowball back at him she would have, likely in the times we are in now, found herself at the end of a police brutality/harassment claim and the guy would have had claims in against any authority figure he could find.

Hmmm, maybe the police were given a stern dressing-down after this video of a Surrey Constabulary policewoman became public last year. Or maybe it depends on the type of area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Jesus, reading some of the replies in this thread is fukking depressing.

Proles, proles everywhere.
    http://i53.tinypic.com/2gwhtog.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Where are they when gurriers are feckin the things at auld ones? The Guards are quick to stand up for their own dignity, they're not always too concerned with the rest of us.

And you know this because you can be everywhere at the same time, watching every interaction every garda has with every individual, your some man for one man!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

as if they can ignore regular people snowball fights and charge assault if they are in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Good. It's not a snow fight unless there are two sides taking part. Where's the sport in throwing snowballs at strangers who are just trying to get from A to B? I even saw a teenager dropping large lumps of ice on cars from a footbridge over the N11 - which could easily cause a crash. I think he saw the look on my face, because he dropped his load and ran the other way.

I'll bet those kids grow up in to torturing cats, then join the Army so they can go and shoot at foreigners. No sense of right vs. wrong. :mad:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

If I threw a friendly punch at a Guard I'd expect to be arrested under Section Two(at least), Non-Fatal Offences Act.

What is the difference between me throwing, for example, a glass bottle and a snowball at a member of the Gardai. In both cases I have knowingly aimed and fired a projectile at the person and both are going to impact on him/her.

And while we're at it, what's the difference between throwing a tiny scrunched up piece of paper in class and firing a sawn-off shotgun at someone? In both cases I have knowingly and willfully aimed and fired a projectile at the person and both are going to impact on him/her, and with the direct intention of causing the impact. Obviously no difference there at all.

That is the most ridiculous post I've seen for quite a while... "what's the difference between throwing a glass bottle at someone and a snowball?" Haaahahaha.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

It is context. I've had snowballs thrown at me in the past. Somtimes those snowballs were thrown out of jest and I've known it; I've also had skangers throw snowballs at me actually looking to start a fight. You can tell whether it's meant in fun, or malicious. It's not difficult to discern.

What the cop did in this situation was nothing short of pathetic. She should have just issued a warning, and as another poster pointed out, not tie up the legal system with a stupid, petty complaint. It's still a snowball, not a brick. Oh, and by the way cops are by no means above the general public and / or the law. Remember that above everthing else. Police are public servants; they are there to uphold the law that citizens agree to in the first place. I personally think the Gardai could do with a regular reminding of this fact.

bnt wrote: »
    Good. It's not a snow fight unless there are two sides taking part. Where's the sport in throwing snowballs at strangers who are just trying to get from A to B? I even saw a teenager dropping large lumps of ice on cars from a footbridge over the N11 - which could easily cause a crash. I think he saw the look on my face, because he dropped his load and ran the other way.

I'll bet those kids grow up in to torturing cats, then join the Army so they can go and shoot at foreigners. No sense of right vs. wrong. :mad:

Yeah in about ten years this country will be in trouble. Celtic tiger bred a generation of spoilt kids but the next bunch are looking like they will just be c*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Feck, I'd never throw a snowball at a policewoman unless I was looking for 'punishment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭Naos

Kiera wrote: »
    Read back and you'll see. He hasnt earned my respect.

Why has this particular Police Officer earned your respect or is just a blanket respect you apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Naos wrote: »
    Why has this particular Police Officer earned your respect or is just a blanket respect you apply?

I didnt say it was that particular police officer. I said guards on duty should get respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

This is snow joking matter guys, it wasn't very ice of him was it??

*snigger*

/runs

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I hate it when people throw a snowball at you like LOL it's hilarious when you're going to, or coming back from work and get snow down your shirt etc. Fúck that.

Takes two to have a snowball fight. Seems there is a lot of people who also don't know when a snowball fight has ended - and they continue trying to wallop you as you're walking away, or rushing up and try to heap snow all over you.

Also, I can imagine how it might be for a cop if every second person thought "oh LOL I'll just throw a snowball for fun at this cop!".

How about we just start throwing snowballs at binmen, postmen, delivery people, or anyone else that's working outside? Fair game right? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Damn right they should be arrested! Those things hurt when you get them in the face :mad:...throw away the key I say! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I don't see the issue here. What he did was assault, and as an adult he should quite frankly know better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

No wonder he is unemployed, he has a f*cking tattoo on his face!! He looks dodgey as f*ck and whatever snowball he picked up must of been just a hard ball of ice, its almost like throwing a rock at a policewoman and who throws snowballs at women anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Chief--- wrote: »
    Throwing a snowball at a stranger or even worse a police officer is a dangerous passtime.

Would he go around slapping random strangers or police officers.

Getting hit with a snowball in the face is like getting a slap.

This fella is lucky he ended up in court and not in A&E.

Idiot.

A&E? Seriously? That melodrama and sensationalism may work on some Irish folk who don't know jack about snow, but that kinda bs can't go down well when on the Mainland or any other snowy country.

Christ almighty, if throwing snowballs was illegal basically all of Canada would be in jail by the age of 3. Or, since it would apparently land us in A&E, everyone in Canada would probably be dead by now.

Come on, like. Cop on. It's a snowball. It's kinda cold for a second, then you're a little damp I guess, and then.. it's gone. What on god's green (or in this case, white) earth is the big deal?!

Hell, I remember having iceball fights when I was a kid at school. The most that ever came from that was bruises and a couple cuts and even then it was rare. Certainly nothing warranting this kind of hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I get the distinct impression he dressed up for that picture. Unless the situation was that the policeman/woman was smiling, laughing and joining in on the snowball fight then as a grown up you don't peg a snowball at one of them.

Frankly, it doesn't take much scrutiny to see he doesn't look the sort to throw a 'friendly' snowball at a police officer anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

MGMTea wrote: »
    Is there such things as mean or angry snowballs ?

One with a rock in it.

The guy was a tool. Fine if you throw a snowball at someone you know, throwing it at a stranger is just downright ignorant. Throwing it at a stranger who turns out to be a police officer is just idiotic.

@liah - a friend of mine was struck by a snowball in the face. As it turned out there was a relatively large stone tucked into it. The snowball just missed her eye by a centimeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

No wonder he is unemployed, he has a f*cking tattoo on his face!!
    tattoolocations.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Nobody belted them out with snowballs. If an ordinary person is getting belted with snowballs, they should be protected under law as well. The same rules should apply. I don't see any reason why they should be offered more protection, it's not like you can just push/hit an ordinary member of the public.

The same laws do apply. You simply need to take an action against the perpetrator.

With regard to the OP, Dean probably has previous. You can pretty much guarantee you are not being given the full story.

The guy was a tool. Fine if you throw a snowball at someone you know, throwing it at a stranger is just downright ignorant. Throwing it at a stranger who turns out to be a police officer is just idiotic.

@liah - a friend of mine was struck by a snowball in the face. As it turned out there was a relatively large stone tucked into it. The snowball just missed her eye by a centimeter.

Should we now make doing anything that has the possibility of hitting someone in the eye illegal?

Just because it could've happened does not mean it did happen or even that it's common. I'd imagine if you looked at statistics you're more likely to get hit in the balls with a tennis ball than have your eye taken out by a snowball. I could be wrong, though.

Still, I grew up in Canada, snowballs were a part of life with thousands thrown each day there was snow on the ground. I remember once, in my entire life, being hit anywhere near the face with snow that contained something hard (like ice or a rock), and even then it was just a little cut on my cheek.

I still think it's completely hysterical, and if a snowball warrants this reaction then, well, you guys got it pretty good tbh.

EDIT: I just wanna say this guy is an idiot for chucking one at someone he doesn't know, but the reaction in this thread is insanely over the top.

liah wrote: »
    Should we now make doing anything that has the possibility of hitting someone in the eye illegal?

Just because it could've happened does not mean it did happen or even that it's common. I'd imagine if you looked at statistics you're more likely to get hit in the balls with a tennis ball than have your eye taken out by a snowball. I could be wrong, though.

Still, I grew up in Canada, snowballs were a part of life with thousands thrown each day there was snow on the ground. I remember once, in my entire life, being hit anywhere near the face with snow that contained something hard (like ice or a rock), and even then it was just a little cut on my cheek.

I still think it's completely hysterical, and if a snowball warrants this reaction then, well, you guys got it pretty good tbh.

EDIT: I just wanna say this guy is an idiot for chucking one at someone he doesn't know, but the reaction in this thread is insanely over the top.

You ever throw one at a mountie?

• Advertisement

k_mac wrote: »
    You ever throw one at a mountie?

I never had any reason to.

Advertisement