Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man who threw friendly snowball at policewoman charged with common assault.

Options
  • 22-12-2010 10:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1340755/Dean-Smith-threw-snowball-policewoman-charged-common-assault.html
    'I had one snowball left in my hand and I threw it at the police officer as a joke. I was just having a bit of fun. And I thought nothing more of it.

'Three days later they came to arrest me for assaulting a PC. I was busy cooking in the kitchen, in my pyjamas. I saw the van at the front of the house and had no idea why it was there.

I ask you, do the police have nothing better to be doing that arresting people like this, harrassing them and hassling them? Jaysus. And think about how much they do this sort of abuse and nobody ever finds out about it. Would they ever go and solve a real crime ffs? Most police officers couldn't catch a cold during an Irish winter.

I think a big part of the problem are the new modern police systems where they're made document everything and told they're not doing their job if they didn't nab anyone. I get the feeling some of them want there to be trouble now. It's all fine and grand until the police are arresting you or someone you know over nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

No such thing as a "friendly snowball".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

In fairness, if i saw him walking towards me id probably cross the street...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Its called respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Is there such things as mean or angry snowballs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Chav

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If there's any justice he'll do at 25 years in jail.

Dey took our jobs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Andrew42

chin_grin wrote: »
    No such thing as a "friendly snowball".

No such thing as a friendly policewoman/female garda, they all seem to have serious issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Nice prison tatoo on Deano there. I'm sure he was probably locked up for stealing toffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Looks like a scumbag. Lock him up. Rape his dog. Shoot his mother.

Andrew42 wrote: »
    No such thing as a friendly policewoman/garda, they all seem to have serious issues.

That's bullshít! I've met a handful on knobs but most guards I've met are sound and very helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I saw a couple of teen-aged girls getting in trouble with the guards last night for throwing snowballs.

Seriously, don't they have better things to be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

'' Don't bring the law into a snowball fight ''

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

thats unfortunate eh! i once lobbed an orange which landed within the 20ft radius of a garda. got assaulted; resisted arrest on assault charges - went to Pats for a week. lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I saw a couple of teen-aged girls getting in trouble with the guards last night for throwing snowballs.

Seriously, don't they have better things to be doing?

They are absolutely correct.

Catch the little f*ckers early

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

Kiera wrote: »
    That's bullshít! I've met a handful on knobs but most guards I've met are sound and very helpful!

Well said Kiera - I guess some people just like to generalise instead of being fair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'm sorry, but the weather is sh!te, everybody is miserable, it's taking me an hour more to get to/from work, and I'm not eight. Throwing ice in my face does nothing to improve my mood.

Fcuk off with your snowballs. Idiot.

Star Bingo wrote: »
    thats unfortunate eh! i once lobbed an orange which landed within the 20ft radius of a garda. got assaulted; resisted arrest on assault charges - went to Pats for a week. lovely.

I hope you spent the week improving your aim?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Its called respect!

And what about the fact that they have told the public not to make police complaints over getting hit by snowballs themselves?

One rule for the police officers and one for the public is it? Different standards? Why should they be "protected" from it if others arent.

And those snowballs could have been thrown maliciously, ie. large snowballs smashed into a person's face from 3 metres.

This guy was playing with his girlfriend and his son and he doesn't even know if it hit her. I severely doubt he was maliciously intending to cause her discomfort.

Respect? They deserve the same respect as any civilian... they're not above us. They should have the same rules as the public does when it comes to verbal abuse or physical abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

snowballs are all fun and games until someone gets a shard of ice in their eye.

Lucky for Deano he didn't try such japes in the US.

• Advertisement

And what about the fact that they have told the public not to make police complaints over getting hit by snowballs themselves?

One rule for the police officers and one for the public is it? Different standards? Why should they be "protected" from it if others arent.

And those snowballs could have been thrown maliciously, ie. large snowballs smashed into a person's face from 3 metres.

This guy was playing with his girlfriend and his son and he doesn't even know if it hit her. I severely doubt he was maliciously intending to cause her discomfort.

Respect? Ha.... a lot of these police officers consider themselves above the ordinary citizen.
    They are above us when on duty as they are there to look after us not get belted out of it with snowballs! So yeah, show them some respect!

One of my friend got into trouble with the guards for '' Obstructing Traffic '' While walking on the double yellow line which was just 3-4 inches away from the wall in a tiny back-of-the-restaurant road.

They are above us when on duty as they are there to look after us not get belted out of it with snowballs! So yeah, show them some respect!

Nobody belted them out with snowballs. If an ordinary person is getting belted with snowballs, they should be protected under law as well. The same rules should apply. I don't see any reason why they should be offered more protection, it's not like you can just push/hit an ordinary member of the public.

Nobody belted them out with snowballs. If an ordinary person is getting belted with snowballs, they should be protected under law as well. The same rules should apply. I don't see any reason why they should be offered more protection, it's not like you can just push/hit an ordinary member of the public.

You're not getting the whole respect thing are you? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Throwing snowballs....

Down with this sort of thing. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

"I fought the law and the..law won.."

You're not getting the whole respect thing are you? :rolleyes:

All members of the public or police deserve the same respect and protection under law, why should public officials or officers be any different? If you want to offer police officers more respect, that's your perogative.

You also don't have to talk to police officers if they want you to. Only if they arrest and interrogate you are you obliged to say anything.

All members of the public or police deserve the same respect and protection under law, why should public officials or officers be any different? If you want to offer police officers more respect, that's your perogative.

You also don't have to talk to police officers if they want you to. Only if they arrest and interrogate you are you obliged to say anything.

What on earth are you spouting on about? :confused:

All members of the public or police deserve the same respect and protection under law, why should public officials or officers be any different?

I agree with you!
    A snow ball isn't gonna kill you, is it?
    Just cope on with it!!!
    Smile back or throw a snow ball back at them and thats all!
    They shouldn't be so an*l about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

bonerm wrote: »
    I hope you spent the week improving your aim?

was with the banger brigade that used to occupy the steps of central bank; zippy went around the side out of sight so its no surprise i missed. saw no garda til i was face down with a knee in my back.. a week of already overcrowded prison time, for that.

Advertisement