Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IDIOT TRUCK DRIVERS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

And may I echo the sentiments of those who suggest that overly nervous drivers should stay at home. Not making progress is a reason for failing a driving test, so when a driver is too nervous to make progress, they are a hazard themselves and should really consider an alternative method of transport...

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

because i felt that u wer putting down the profession of lorry drivers in your post

If you look at my post with the ( :rolleyes:) you will see it is an edit

What i had posted was this

-
    dcmraad wrote: »
    Do they not have special training.
    <<<< op

Yes they do! You dont say what training you have? <<< my reply

Then i changed my mind and decided not to bother getting into it with someone that hasn't got a clue.

Im a biker, car driver, truck driver / professional driver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

So one tonight that overtook a long line of cars at traffic lights and turned left in front of everyone and then got stuck in snow. Idiot of the highest order, at the same time a car drove down the footpath on the inside to turn left and nearly got clattered by the truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

you twats dont realise how important trucks are to this country with out trucks there would be no food in the shops and no fuel at the petrol stations across the country.
    and reading some of the comments posted by other members the most of them dont no how to drive never mind critisiseing a proffessinal drivers way of driving thank you very much.

Nothing you said there warrants putting other peoples safety in danger and frankly after reading the thread and then this I am astounded at your post.

Now, of course truck drivers are not the only ones who are idiots on the roads and I dont generalise that all truckers are idiots but what your post did there was say that what the truck driver did in the first post was the right thing to do.

I expect truck drivers to be the more considerate, mature and professional drivers on our roads and so so many of them are but some of them act like idiots. Sad thing is a truck being driven by an idiot is more noticeable then a car doing so. Truckers are an essential part of the road transportation network and with out them the country would shut down but in no way does it mean that one of them can overtake me on a blind bend and cut in front of me as he tries to avoid the oncoming bus or bully their way past me on a road a winding, narrow and walled road to Scarriff just because I was an L driver doing 75 in an 80 zone.

In these conditions the shop can do without their damn tins of soup for an extra hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    During the last spell of snow a couple of weeks ago myslef and a line of cars were passed by two artic trucks on the n11 in very heavy snow, i saw them both coming and moved over as i saw the huge spray of slush they were sending out, the car infront of me didnt seem them coming and got plastered in slush and swerved (probably got a fright)
    Both trucks got a couple of hundred metres ahead of the line of traffic, both jackknifed on a hill a short distance ahead.
    One was Perenial Freight, the other was Nolan Transport.
    I have seen many truck drivers driving stupidly over the last few weeks but funny enough ive seen more Nolan Transport trucks doing it than others.

Not wanting to scare the crap out of anyone but the likes of Nolan and some other transport companies from the south east use cheap eastern european drivers some paying less than the min wage, I was talking to a garda traffic corp officer that I know and he was telling me that they can not issue penalty points etc due to them using foreign licenses.
    Ask any truck driver what do they think of the likes of nolans drivers and you will get your answer,Alot of them make the whole transport sector look very un professonal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭ted1

john i saw the same muppet in the see van yesterday. In and out of the bus lane around stillorgan on the M11 i'm delighted to hear he got nicely rewarded for his excellent driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭ted1

john i saw the same muppet in the see van yesterday. In and out of the bus lane around stillorgan on the M11 i'm delighted to hear he got nicely rewarded for his excellent driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

[/B]

Not wanting to scare the crap out of anyone but the likes of Nolan and some other transport companies from the south east use cheap eastern european drivers some paying less than the min wage, I was talking to a garda traffic corp officer that I know and he was telling me that they can not issue penalty points etc due to them using foreign licenses.
    Ask any truck driver what do they think of the likes of nolans drivers and you will get your answer,Alot of them make the whole transport sector look very un professonal.

+1

I've heard similar, in fact the same and its not just a recent thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

johnos1984 wrote: »
    +1

I've heard similar, in fact the same and its not just a recent thing
    there was a certain employer around the carlow area looking for a driver for an artic recently, the pay was 350 a week for 40+ hours before tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dcmraad

is this guy driving like an idiot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-n5dsb5Zjo

watch this at 53 seconds, see the tail slide,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrUB86A7h-0&feature=related

tailslide at 14 seconds again
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsoMazWfH6w&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

[

depends on what speed the car was being driven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-n5dsb5Zjo

He didn't seem to slip or slide, maintained control, indicated properly etc. Looks like a textbook overtake to me.

watch this at 53 seconds, see the tail slide,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrUB86A7h-0&feature=related

Truck gets stuck going up a hill. Tail slides while he's attempting to go forward. Truck driver makes the very sensible decision to reverse back down the hill rather than to be stubborn and keep trying to get up.

Hardly an idiot.

Bin lorry gets stuck getting up a hill. Gets slight tail slide as he tries to take another run at it.
    Bin lorry makes it up the hill.

Again, I hardly think that maneuver makes him an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

I was under the impression that they never really cared much for fellow road users regardless of weather conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

you twats dont realise how important trucks are to this country with out trucks there would be no food in the shops and no fuel at the petrol stations across the country.
    and reading some of the comments posted by other members the most of them dont no how to drive never mind critisiseing a proffessinal drivers way of driving thank you very much.

So sorry you are saying that the driver in the OP's story was in the right making an aggressive overtaking manouver, and putting the truck sideways and drifting up the hill.

Cause it seems like the right thing to do would have been to wait until the road ws clear if he needed the speed.

-Chris- wrote: »
    He didn't seem to slip or slide, maintained control, indicated properly etc. Looks like a textbook overtake to me.

Truck gets stuck going up a hill. Tail slides while he's attempting to go forward. Truck driver makes the very sensible decision to reverse back down the hill rather than to be stubborn and keep trying to get up.

Hardly an idiot.

Bin lorry gets stuck getting up a hill. Gets slight tail slide as he tries to take another run at it.
    Bin lorry makes it up the hill.

Again, I hardly think that maneuver makes him an idiot.

Sorry CHris, 1st video shows a dangerous overtake, look at the trucks lane condition.

other 2 are video showing that rigid trucks slide sideways, for the drivers who said it couldn't.

depends on what speed the car was being driven.

It says it on the video, the car was doing over 80kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

It says it on the video, the car was doing over 80kmh

Over 80kmh in that weather is idiotic anyway. Here's a link for another idiot, not driving a truck, proporting to be a demonstration of "how to overtake" in poor conditions. The only difference is the ammount of carnage a car is going to cause as opposed to a truck/artic. which I think puts a greater burden of responsibility on a truck driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F1ltZqoEhQ&feature=related

Sorry CHris, 1st video shows a dangerous overtake, look at the trucks lane condition.

other 2 are video showing that rigid trucks slide sideways, for the drivers who said it couldn't.
    no one said rigids cant slide, its happened to me loads of times, what i said was that it wouldnt keep going forward if the back went doing 40/50 kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Has there been a survey done in Ireland to find out how many trucks are involved in accidents on the road...I always move in and let them pass me, finding it a bit intimidating to have one up my ass

bmarley wrote: »
    Has there been a survey done in Ireland to find out how many trucks are involved in accidents on the road...I always move in and let them pass me, finding it a bit intimidating to have one up my ass
    how many of them have being caused by a dope in a micra etc, thats oblivious to whats around them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 nelly97

The drivers are paid to get cargo to it's location on-time. They don't give a dahm about other drivers. As long as they get their pay, they are happy.

Things like this will always scream: There will ALWAYS be fools on the road. The matter is, innocent drivers will always have to deal with it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

When you see the many trucks that drivers have festooned with banners/bunting..., those Spanish bullfighting swords....a row of CDs supposedly to deflect the laser...the brand of the truck surrounded by LED's.....makes me wonder what's between their ears.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭xtradel

nelly97 wrote: »
    The drivers are paid to get cargo to it's location on-time. They don't give a dahm about other drivers. As long as they get their pay, they are happy.

I'm a truck driver (rigid) and of course i'm happy to get paid...who isnt?? But it is frustrating being stuck behind someone who is driving at 30kph in a 100kph stretch of road that has clearly been gritted and safe to drive on.

Sometimes we have to take risks but for me its not to do with pay. As a example: I have a delivery to ballina due before 11pm...my plan is to drop off well before then and head on home to galway. If i dont make it to ballina before 11pm i'll still have to go home to galway and then try and make the journey again the next day. Its not always about money, sometimes it can be just wanting to get home at a reasonable time and maybe spend time with the family.

Whats really frustrating is being held up behind a lorry doing 100kph in the overtaking lane trying to overtake another lorry which is going 99kph in the driving lane then once there is a slight incline he just stays there unable to complete the maneuver holding up everyone else unnecessarily.

Seriously truckers are as bad if not worse at times. Very skillful drivers I admit but complete planks when it comes to manners and consideration

I also have great respect for the group who feel that as they are in a bigger vehicle they always have right of way. They get pissed off when you don't play ball though and find it hard to admit they are wrong..........then again sure its ALWAYS everyones elses fault

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

What's wrong with that lane condition?
    I know that in Ireland people are not used to driving on snow, but it's perfectly normal in countries where you get more of it.

I can't see anything wrong with that overtaking. On the Continent, you would see plenty of manouvers like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

When you see the many trucks that drivers have festooned with banners/bunting..., those Spanish bullfighting swords....a row of CDs supposedly to deflect the laser...the brand of the truck surrounded by LED's.....makes me wonder what's between their ears.
    When you live in it practically 24/7, you'd like to show a bit of pride in it and it may come in the form of lights or flags, who are you to judge?

hunter164 wrote: »
    When you live in it practically 24/7, you'd like to show a bit of pride in it and it may come in the form of lights or flags, who are you to judge?

Actually guys with all the gear like that tend to the best of the drivers as they tend to own their truck and treat it with a lot of respect.

Its the guys who drive a company lorry tend to be the issue in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Actually guys with all the gear like that tend to the best of the drivers as they tend to own their truck and treat it with a lot of respect.

Its the guys who drive a company lorry tend to be the issue in my experience

They look after them and put a lot of money into it. I'd be a lot more worried about the driver who just has it plain and scratch marks all over ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Can I just say look at the OP`S thread history. Most of the threads he started are locked. I know its against the charter to say what he is but look at the history and find out.. ;)

• Advertisement

Its a pity you can't do that with people in real life :D

Advertisement