Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it still a man's world?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Under Irish law when two people get married either one can take the surname of the other, it doesn't have to be the woman taking the man's family name, he can take hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 miaowmiaow

Why should gender roles play such a large part of everyone's perception of the differences between men and women?
    Clearly some people miss the point that as we are all *human* there are too many unique qualities that make us who we are to try define us as being merely male or female.
    Gender seems to be an excuse for creating stereotypes, I think. To be honest I believe that nowadays most students think sexism is like a fog from the past, hanging about in some social circles, but mostly fuelled by the out-dated opinions of older generations.
    Should we not be judged by our merits as people, instead of our merits as members of one sex or another? :rolleyes:

I mean really, we could stay here forever arguing about stats and figures, but why not help create a new open mindset instead of arguing over the prejudices of the past? And can we please try to understand this is not a question of "feminism", as feminism is many-faceted and indeed there are many different "feminisms" that all have their own beliefs and theories. :D

I mean, for example, just because it is the norm that women become mothers and men become fathers doesn't mean that they suit such a lifestyle. They're simply people, whether they make good parents is a completely different story, which is why I don't understand why Irish family law blatantly favours "The Mother" when it comes to child custody and father's rights. Just because the woman carried around a developing kid for 9 months doesn't make her a fitter parent once the kid's born. But I'm going off topic on what's merely one of the many examples of the failures that arise from our attempts to categorise the male and female sexes into virtues and vices. :p

Is it a man's world? No, it's just another planet, lucky enough to sustain our lifeforms. No matter how much we try to fool ourselves, neither men nor women own this rock floating about space. Maybe human's would be better off as a hermaphrodite race? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

As a Male mid 20s. In my eyes, in Ireland, I find that when im 60 or 70, women and men will be more like 50-50 in many areas... And Ill explain why,

When I was born, women had won many equal rights that my granmother's generation never had. So as I grew up, in my eyes there is nothing a woman cant do that I can.

My granmother was content to be a housewife, that was the way things were, (marry young, have kids, be a housewife), nothing wrong with that, but not many other options.

So, I look around at women my age today, the amount of ambition, desire, fight etc. Colleges are 50-50 in my generation, so therefore many high mangerial jobs will be 50-50 in years to come.

So, I don't think it will be men, the CEOs, politicions, principals etc. when Im over 60.

Thats just my thought on it.

The reason why many think its a mans world, is because women were never given a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Reward

30% of TD are women?

All that means is that fewer women decide to be politicians.

Woman takes a mans name?

Not necessarily, but I think where there are children involved the mans name should be taken, women know their kids are theirs, men are never really sure, the created the illusion of security I suppose.

Men make more than women?

No they don't, they spends less time in the work place and so make less taxable income, but there is a family wage, a woman that choses not to work or work part time on the strength is her partners wage (the main reason for the wage gap) she is making at least half of everything he makes.

Sharia law is just as bad on men as it is women, the western media just doesn't tell us that, because you know, when something bad happens, its worse when it happens to a woman and all that!

Advertisement