Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.D cards on the way

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

King Mob wrote: »
    1) That doesn't say anything about RFID.
    2) They've had the normal card for a while.
    3) The irish card as discussed does not have an RFID.

So again can you please provide some examples of the evils you think will come form these cards considering they've been used all over europe for years.
    Or at the every least actually define the evils rather than just having it a nebulous unidentifiable cloud of fearmongering.

Why do you think I have to repeatedly ask these questions RtdH?
    Why, if the problems are as bad as you think, are you having trouble providing examples?
    Or are we going to hear the old "it's on it way" excuse we've been hearing for years?
    "Electronically encoded" always refers to RFID technology when it comes to smart cards.

It is a known fact that any up and coming ID cards issued by other member EU states or Ireland will be electronically encoded or contain RFID technology.

It has been mentioned by both the media and Government representatives and also a part of any international standardization just as it has been with recent passports.

What does it matter if RFID is used?

It's a technology designed to save on data entry and printing costs, nothing more.

Not exactly practical to place receivers like they have on the M50 toll to track every citizen's move now is it?
    RFID is an invasive form of tracking.

The passive technology used in these cards can cause your card to emit a signal and be picked up by a scanner even if you are not aware of it.

It will leave digital fingerprints everywhere you tag on / tag off or if you pass within range a compatible portal or hand held scanner unknowingly if your card is not shielded.

All your movements can be logged and stored on a data base for up to two years and legally used against you under current irish / EU data retention directives.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,230 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

"Electronically encoded" always refers to RFID technology when it comes to smart cards.
    No it doesn't. It can mean it just has a swipe strip. Nowhere in any of the articles or wikipedia pages mentioned RFID.
    It is a known fact that any up and coming ID cards issued by other member EU states or Ireland will be electronically encoded or contain RFID technology.

It has been mentioned by both the media and Government representatives and also a part of any international standardization just as it has been with recent passports.
    But the article post made no mention of RFID. How exactly do you know that the card will actually contain it?

And notice how you've ignored the question?
    Why? Is it because you can't provide a single example despite these ID cards being in use all over Europe for ages?
    I mean, you can't even provide a hypothetical example.
    All your movements can be logged and stored on a data base for up to two years and legally used against you under current irish / EU data retention directives.
    So can you provide a single example of this data ever being used to wrongly target someone?

It's a very simple request RdtH why can't you answer it?

No it doesn't. It can mean it just has a swipe strip. Nowhere in any of the articles or wikipedia pages mentioned RFID.
    So officials are going to equip these new cards with magnetic strip technology, something that has been used by the Dept of SW for the last 20 years. :rolleyes:

So officials are going to equip these new cards with magnetic strip technology, something that has been used by the Dept of SW for the last 20 years. :rolleyes:

Can you point out where it says anything about RFID or not?
    Can you answer my other questions or not?

Can you point out where it says anything about RFID or not?
    Can you answer my other questions or not?

Get back to me as soon as these new ID cards are issued and we will see whose right. :p

• Advertisement

Get back to me as soon as these new ID cards are issued and we will see whose right. :p
    I am right because the article doesn't mention them, and you can't provide a scrap of evidence to show otherwise. Now you're just dodging questions.

So again we're back to the old "It's on it's way" nonsense.
    How many years have you been saying that RtdH?

Have you asked yourself why you can't provide a single example of, or even define the evils you're railing against?

Advertisement