Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MVP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can tell you that if Peyton Manning had done what Tom Brady has done this year he would be 100% certain to win the MVP.

Michael Vick has been magnificent this year but nothing near Brady.

I do agree that Vick put on what I'd consider the best performance I've ever seen by a QB against Washington but thats only one game. Over the course of the season Brady has been head and shoulders above everybody including Michael Vick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can tell you that if Peyton Manning had done what Tom Brady has done this year he would be 100% certain to win the MVP.

Michael Vick has been magnificent this year but nothing near Brady.

I do agree that Vick put on what I'd consider the best performance I've ever seen by a QB against Washington but thats only one game. Over the course of the season Brady has been head and shoulders above everybody including Michael Vick.

I disagree. I think when both have played it's apples and oranges. But Vick was injured and missed games, so his impact is reduced. That is partly due to the way he plays so it's fair enough that he loses ground in that respect. In all fairness thhough, there is no other QB who could have done what Vick did versus the Giants last week with 8 to go, none. Brady has a lead but Vick has the opportunity to still win it imo.

Your opinions on the Colts/Manning/Bill Pollian are just nauseating at this stage tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just off the top of my head, Drew Brees vs the Patriots, Tom Brady vs the Titans (both last year) and Steve Young vs the Chargers in 95 were better QB performance in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The more I think about it, the closer it is for me. Vick is both a good QB and a serious attacking threat in his own right and completely changes the way defenses play against the Eagles. Brady's had a great year too and both have took teams assumed to be in transition and helped them become serious Superbowl contenders. Removed from their 'stories', there is very little seperating the two at this minute.

If either signifcantly out-preforms the other in the remaining two games that'll be the player I'll consider him the most deserving of the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Some here would want to calm down about 'historic' seasons and the like. brady was abysmal in his first game against the Jets, and against the bleeding Browns.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Some here would want to calm down about 'historic' seasons and the like. brady was abysmal in his first game against the Jets, and against the bleeding Browns.

Wtf are you talking about? You're the first person who has mentioned 'historic' seasons.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Just off the top of my head, Drew Brees vs the Patriots, Tom Brady vs the Titans (both last year) and Steve Young vs the Chargers in 95 were better QB performance in my opinion.
    Steve Young's performance was incredible for a Superbowl. Tom Brady against the Titans isn't even one of his top 5 performances. Drew Brees was exceptional last year and it was a great performance by him. None of them come close to what Michael Vick did to Washington though. He was just awesome that night, in a class all of his own. He was so close to a perfect passer rating, just .5 yards per pass off, and he had 10 rushes for 100 yards too. It was like watching the best QB and the best RB rolled into one, you just can't beat that. Unfortunately rushing does not add to a QB rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Wtf are you talking about? You're the first person who has mentioned 'historic' seasons.

Yeah, sorry got my forums mixed up there.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Steve Young's performance was incredible for a Superbowl. Tom Brady against the Titans isn't even one of his top 5 performances. Drew Brees was exceptional last year and it was a great performance by him. None of them come close to what Michael Vick did to Washington though. He was just awesome that night, in a class all of his own. He was so close to a perfect passer rating, just .5 yards per pass off, and he had 10 rushes for 100 yards too. It was like watching the best QB and the best RB rolled into one, you just can't beat that. Unfortunately rushing does not add to a QB rating.

Like I said, in my opinion, the others were superior performances. I maintained it at the time, and I still do now that the hype from Vick's performance has died down.

To say none of them came close to what Vick did is a little ill informed though wouldn't you say. Young put in a historic performance on the biggest stage of all and breaking records while doing so. He accounted for the same number of touchdowns as Vick (6), and also finished as his team's leading rusher. Brady had a completion percentage of over 85% against the Titans, also accounting for 6 touchdowns in the snow. And that was in just over 2 quarters, as he came out of the game a few minutes into the third. Brees' performance against the Patriots was against a good defence, a team that went 12-4, accounting for almost as many touchdowns (5) despite 12 less rush/pass attempts. He wasn't 0.5 short of a perfect passer rating - he was zero short of a perfect passer rating because it was a perfect game.

All three were better performances than Vick's imo. Not to take away from his though, it was a very good showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Anyone who says you can't make an argument for Vick being MVP is looking through very Patriot tinted glasses. He has been exceptional all year and this is coming from someone who was 100% against him getting the starting job ahead of Kolb.

For me it's still Brady's title but if Vick did win it, it wouldn't be a travesty. It's Brady for MVP, Vick for OPotY and Matthews for DPotY.

Of course these awards are all given far too early anyway, playoffs should 100% be taken into consideration. But thats a debate for another time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think youll have to take into account the quality of opposition the two QBs have played against, Brady wins hands down. The only seriously good quality teams the Eagles have beated are the Colts, Falcons and Giants, while the Patriots have beaten the Colts, Steelers, Jets, Ravens, Bears, Chargers and Packers and nearly all has Brady put up 30+pts...which is incredible!!

Yes Vick had a once in a lifetime game against the Redskins...but it was against the Redskins, which takes away from that. IMO Brady's 30 plus passes, 30 plus points, 3 passing TDs against the best defense in the league, the Steelers was more impressive.

The level of competiton is why i think Brady is on another level to Vick, i dont think the vote deserves to be close.

Hazys wrote: »
    I think youll have to take into account the quality of opposition the two QBs have played against, Brady wins hands down. The only seriously good quality teams the Eagles have beated are the Colts, Falcons and Giants, while the Patriots have beaten the Colts, Steelers, Jets, Ravens, Bears, Chargers and Packers and nearly all has Brady put up 30+pts...which is incredible!!

Yes Vick had a once in a lifetime game against the Redskins...but it was against the Redskins, which takes away from that. IMO Brady's 30 plus passes, 30 plus points, 3 passing TDs against the best defense in the league, the Steelers was more impressive.

The level of competiton is why i think Brady is on another level to Vick, i dont think the vote deserves to be close.

Just out of curiosity which team do you follow?Vick has lost one game he started and that was against the Bears. We played poor as a team and lost by five points and tbh i think the huge turning point is the pick just before half time which was a tipped pass.

It should be a close race. Vick is playing unlike any player in history. It's not about who the best player in the NFL it's Most Valuable... do people not get this? It's in the name of the award... I still think Brady should win myself but I honestly don't understand how anyone can think it's not close. They obviously haven't been watching both teams.

And for those (not really on this forum) who think the fact Vick has better players around him should hurt his chances, the same arguement can be made for who has the better coach.

Happy Christmas all!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

has any Patriot fan on here said you cant make an argument for Vick not to be in the reckoning? I dont think any Patriot fan would argue that Vick deserves huge consideration and is the only other realistic candidate against Brady. So dont know where the Patriot tinted glasses are, maybe I've missed someone saying you cant make an argument for him. I'd also say every Patriots fan thinks Brady deserves it, but that would go without saying.

the one thing about MVP,is the title itself, the most valuable player. Would the Patriots win as much and be where they are this season without Brady? And would the Eagles be where they are without Vick? Which player is the team most dependant on? That right there convinces me that Brady will get it. But the season Vick has had is unreal. Serious dedication from him and I for one am glad to see him back playing, with the added bonus of his throwing being much better than when at Atlanta.

A few guys have posted that Vick hasn't come close to Brady this year. For what it's worth i 100% agree with your post and i'd give it to Brady myself with vick sneaking Offensive player of the year as a consolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I would have to make the case for Cassel if it's based on Most Valuable and not best performer. We all seen how much of a disaster KC were against the Chargers when Cassel was out. They don't function without him.

Defo deserves a shout. I was wrong about him, thought he was a waster but he's good enough to lead a team to the superbowl if they have him in the right situation, i.e. they have that awesome running game. Big bounceback game for Bowe last night as well. Different player when hit in stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Forget Vick, Cassell, Brady.

Josh Freeman MVP :P

Pity the defence and special teams couldnt hold out last week against the Lions or the Bucs would be playoff bound :P

Rookie MVP: Mike Williams please :P If not LeGarrett Blount.

Maybe slightly Buc tinted glasses on my part.

In all seriousness, the Bucs have been fantastic this year and i'd love to see them in the playoffs.

Real MVP? I'd say Brady, but man Vick has skills. Bradys mechanics are flawless though. Standing tall in the pocket, feet skills amazing. Vick is just the ultimate athlete.

Here's Vic Carucci's take on things. Nothing that hasn't been said before, but it perfectly sums up why a lot of people are giving the edge to Brady.
    ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Mother Nature decided to add a little more drama to this anything-you-can-do-I-can-do-better competition that Tom Brady and Michael Vick are waging for NFL MVP, but it wasn't necessary.

This battle is over. Brady wins. Unofficially, for now, but that's how the voting by the Associated Press' national media panel is likely to go.

Brady wins because he has done more with less. He wins because he is incredibly efficient, while being incredibly productive. He wins, because ... well, let one of his tight ends, Alge Crumpler, explain.

"Because when we get on this bus, headed out of here, he'll have his computer on and he'll be studying Miami," Crumpler said after the Patriots' 34-3 victory over the Buffalo Bills. "Nobody works harder than Tommy."

Even after the Pats had clinched home-field advantage through the AFC playoffs, rendering their Week 17 season finale against the Dolphins meaningless, Crumpler knew his teammate's attention would be focused exactly where it always is after a game: On the next opponent.

In Brady's world, preparation never gets a bye. Keeping sharp and focused is what he always expects of himself and of everyone around him. Call it the Brady Standard of Excellence, which even transcends the lofty standard Bill Belichick established for his three-time Super Bowl champions.

Yes, what Vick has done this season is every bit as valuable to another strong team, the Philadelphia Eagles. It is flashy, dynamic and unlike what any quarterback, or player for that matter, does and probably will do for a long time. Thanks to the blizzard that rocked the East Coast, his next game, against Minnesota, won't be until Tuesday night. Vick might very well have a spectacular prime-time showing, adding yet another chapter to his comeback story for the ages. But it won't matter.

There is no topping the fact that Brady's off-the-charts season has come without the same sort of support that has allowed Vick to consistently add big plays with his passing arm to a repertoire that once mostly included (but still features) highlight-reel runs. Brady doesn't have a receiver the same caliber as DeSean Jackson or a running back comparable to LeSean McCoy. He is working with an offense that reinvented itself after Week 4 when his lone deep threat, Randy Moss, was traded and there was no longer the ability to stretch opposing defenses.

The critics said that the Patriots were in trouble because it was too easy for other teams to clamp down on Wes Welker running those patented short and intermediate routes. But Brady pulled together a new scheme that relied heavily on a pair of rookie tight ends, Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski, and running back Danny Woodhead, whom the Patriots acquired after he was cut by the New York Jets. Putting greater emphasis than ever on precision, Brady maximized the production of his supporting cast with throws that moved the chains and generated touchdowns while avoiding enemy hands. Against the Bills, in cold and blustery conditions that aren't conducive to accurate passing, he set an NFL record by pushing to 309 his streak of consecutive throws without an interception. Brady's three touchdown passes, all to his tight ends (two to Gronkowski and one to Crumpler), pushed his season total to 34. But even more impressive are his mere four interceptions, the last of which he threw in Week 6.

This is where that considerable work ethic comes in. This is the byproduct of the standard of excellence, which doesn't merely do plenty to help others to succeed but inspires them to raise their performance level.

"He leads by example," said Gronkowski, who knows that his full buy-in to the Brady approach has gone a long way toward allowing him to catch nine touchdown passes and tie a Patriots record for most TDs by a tight end in a season (Ben Coates, 1996) and also move into second place for touchdown receptions by a rookie tight end in NFL history behind Mike Ditka, who had 12 in 1961.

Part of that example is Brady's feeling, which he expressed during his weekly appearance on Boston radio station WEEI on Monday morning, that the selection of an MVP in a team sport "doesn't make a lot of sense" and that the only award he has ever cared about "is a Super Bowl ring."

Still, votes for this year's award will be collected on Jan. 7, and Brady's case for winning it shouldn't be impacted by how little he might play (if at all) against the Dolphins. Nor should it be hurt by his mere 140 passing yards against the Bills. As guard Logan Mankins pointed out, "He is a quarterback, half his job is to hand it off, so he can't throw it every time. That's not going to be any good for the team. Days like today, when he's handing it off a lot (41 rushing attempts compared with 27 passes), he's making the right checks. There's more to quarterback than just throwing it."

Or running with it.

And when you look at the entire package, you have the more convincing argument for Brady as the MVP.

So yeah, that's case closed :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Does anyone really care? There's only one trophy that matters and it isn't the MVP one.

• Advertisement

Does anyone really care? There's only one trophy that matters and it isn't the MVP one.

So true. I'd rather see Brady win the Superbowl MVP than the NFL one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

MVP should never be decided until the whole season is finished, playoffs and all. otherwise it looks like a stupid, reactionary award which rarely goes to the actual most valuable player

last two awards are examples:
    09:Manning. Real Most Valuable Player : Brees
    08:Manning. Real MVP: Warner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

spiralism wrote: »
    MVP should never be decided until the whole season is finished, playoffs and all. otherwise it looks like a stupid, reactionary award which rarely goes to the actual most valuable player

last two awards are examples:
    09:Manning. Real Most Valuable Player : Brees
    08:Manning. Real MVP: Warner

I'd argue Big Ben's multiple come-from-behing drives to win games in '08 (the Superbowl included) behind a very pourous line was even more worthy than a revelatory Warner, but the obvious point about the MVP award is that it's a regular season award; I think it's ok for an award to service the regular season as it's the only time everyone is playing. If there was to be a high profile one for the playoffs too, that's a plus.

The biggest issue for me is that players like Chris Johnson get overlooked completely even though they have record setting, team-carrying seasons. The MVP award should be as the package says; the most valuable player, not the player whose team wins the most.

It's Bradys now anyway. Shame, would have been nice to see Vick keep the pressure up on him with another good performance.

Tbh unless he had two six td games he wouldn't (and shouldn't) have got it anyway.

Congratulations Tom Brady, who was unanimously picked as the NFL MVP this year, receiving all 50 votes for the award.

More here.

Great to see Tom Brady right selected as NFL MVP. He is now along with Joe Montana the only players to win multiple NFL and Superbowl MVPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Very pleased for him!

Advertisement