Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTC Christmas & holiday greetings

Options
  • 20-12-2010 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and happy holidays ... however you celebrate ... from M.T. Cranium in snow-free west coast of Canada ...

but it can look like this further inland ... remind you of anywhere?

515166.jpg

And thanks to all who the weather forum regulars and visitors who have filled my year with friendship, fun and interesting chats about the weather.

We are spending the holidays at home for a change, usually we go to the mountains to where the above picture was taken a few years ago at New Years. This stay-at-home plan means I should be able to make at least brief forecast updates through the holiday season, but it may become a reduced appearance in the last week of the year. Of course if there are major weather events I will try to tear myself away from the festivities.

This thread gives me a chance to ask if anyone has had a specific computer problem and knows the specific answers. We have been chasing this problem around for several weeks, and while we could afford to part with our hard drive and get it "cleaned" this would be an unwelcome interruption in my research and forecasting time (can only arrange so much alternate access).

We understand this problem is fairly widespread at least around here. Messages continue to appear in sequence, one saying something about svc host denying access, and another saying win server 32 has run into a problem. Some of the symptoms are various freezes, odd appearances of unwanted ads and even the occasion diversion to spam websites (like net-weather, just kidding). On the other hand, aside from a daily episode or two of this monkey business, nothing much happens and we have all the important stuff behind additional firewalls. So if you've had this problem and you know the actual solution, please let me know. We have run the various service provider virus and malware stuff, but part of the problem is that this virus is preventing updates and upgrades and according to a chat site we found, it also can start directing users to false service sites.

Plan B is to take the computer to a repair shop over the holiday. I will try to choose a time of quiet weather (good luck this month, right?). Thanks -- MTC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Happy Christmas to you and yours MT, thanks for the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Thanks M.T for the education that you have provided throughout the year.

I have to say you have gained celebrity status in my household at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Nollaig Shona Dhuit from Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Many happy returns! and thanks for the daily updates that are my first port of call every morning...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Happy Christmas MT. Thanks for all your hard work during the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

:D thank you MTC for keeping us informed and entertained!

Seasons greetings and have a peaceful Christmas and new year and hopefully we'll meet again for more of the same in 2011 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Effervescent

Hi MT, best wishes to you and yours for Christmas and the New Year.

Thanks for your excellent forecasts. Your forecasts together with your explanations of how you arrive at them are much appreciated especially by those of us who are new to weather analysis.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Hey, you guys and gals are fast ... I have edited the first message with a picture you can actually see. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Happy Christmas MTC and hats off to you for your unrelenting forecasts all year. Nice picture - any good fishing in that lake?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Hey, you guys and gals are fast ... I have edited the first message with a picture you can actually see. :D

Hi MTC, I haven't experienced the problem you state before but you should ask about this, there is an forum where you can ask this on the techncal area, boards is not just a weather site you know!

Select tech then security

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Merry Christmas MT Cranium - re the computer problems, have a look through this thread, its very very helpful and the guys in the virus and malware forum are great for any help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055274237

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Thanks for all you hard work over the year, your forecast is the first web page of the day for me, even my wife now knows what GFS ECM UKMO are, Might need to buy a new laptop for her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Happy christmas m.t. And everyone else on the forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Happy christmas m.t. And everyone else on the forum!

ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Happy Christmas to yourself and your family as well M.T.C. :) It was and will be said many many times but thanks once again for everything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cdev

Happy Christmas to you MTC. And a Happy Christmas to all the boards weather experts - I have learnt a lot in 2010 from your forecasts and insightful weather analysis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Happy Christmas MT and to all the regular visitors to the Weather Forum. Looking forward to another year of weather watching in 2011 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

same here happy christmas from the sunny south east!!!!!!!!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hey MT

Happy Christmas to you too !

On the SVC error, check this link out:

http://www.articlesbase.com/operating-systems-articles/fix-windows-xp-svchost-exe-error-1128899.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Merry Christmas MT and have a great New Year, thanks for all the great weather forcasts.

Storm 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

merry christmas MT! hope you and your family have a great christmas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭squonk

Happy christmas MT. Hope you've a great time over the holdiays! Thanks for allt he forecasts through the year. checking on them first thing is becoming part of my wake up routine at this stage!

For the pc, try a good AV product, perhaps Kaspersky. Beyond that, some of the other forums could be of help as well as the links posted. Sounds like you have a rogue service running on your machine. Tracking that down would take a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭leroythelegend

Thanks for all the time and effort you put in MT. Happy Christmas and heres to a great new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

happy xmas to you and your's MT

and a huge thank you for your dedication to forecasting the weather of your adopted home.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy new year. I've only been following your forecasts since October but will be doing so from now. Thanks again.

In regards to your computer problem, I have had something similar all be it slightly different. Assuming you're using windows reboot in safe mode with networking and install malwarebytes anti-malware. Run a scan and see what it finds. This program is excellent and the most recommended on the net. I haven't come across anything it cannot find and get rid of. hope this helps you in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Happy Christmas and New Year, MT.

I hope you get your computer fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Happy holidays to MT and I do appretiate all the work you do over the year on the montly boards predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Happy Christmas and a very healthy new year to you and your family,and of course your fellow weather family on here.Thank you for the wonderful gift you have and also share with us selflessly.It was also lovely to hear your voice on today fm,well done.Your eleoquence and fluency in your forcasting and general chat is a pleasure to read,you make the weather very very interesting,comming from a nation who is obsessed with it:D.Very many thanks.Awaiting the streamers here on the east coast today:D
    Wishing you and all the weather experts here a very safe and happy new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Happy Christmas & New Year MT! Another year of excellent input into the Weather forum here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Happy Christmas to you and yours MT!
    I love western Canada (esp Kelowna and Big White) and know it is just glorious when it DOES snow there......
    I hope you have a wonderful relaxing, fun, peaceful time with your family (and the occasional appearance on here wouldn't go amiss either!)

Thanks for all you do - we are indebted to you really.......

Advertisement