Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno/General Thoughts

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Speed Boat wrote: »
    Do we just use the top 8 as seeds? Or the top 16?

Or is it dependent on how many groups on the day?

TOp 16 usually.

Kirby wrote: »
    I don't think anybody was suggesting dumping seeds altogether. That would be silly. They work well and are necessary. The question is about tweaking. Atleast my comment was anyway.

I don't like the idea of going to six tourney's in a row (like I did) than missing 3 tourneys out of the next 6 and losing your seeding. Happened to me. Thats still like 9 out of 12 overall. That doesn't warrant losing your seeding...atleast in my eyes. Especially if you consistently do well. The suggestion was to take a larger sample of tourneys....not just 3.

Don't want to make an issue out of it. Fact is If you are good enough it wont matter much. I've been lucky enough to make it out of groups for every inferno over the past 2 years....seeded or not. Its not a big deal. It was just an observation after orim posted the list a few pages back. Thats all. No biggie.

I actually agree with you, I've actually said to Orim directly it should be 6 months before, I just wanted to point out the seeding is more important than some might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think the question on everyones mind is, whats happening with the chunli sticks?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Nothing until Gamer Expo get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Was on their site and their last update was near 70 days ago.

• Advertisement

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Was on their site and their last update was near 70 days ago.

That doesn't change the fact we don't own them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Wth reference to vouching all I am saying is common sense should apply when someone who will clearly make Inferno a crap experience for a new player is randomly thrown into the mix. It's not something that should be used lightly.

This is actually an interesting point. I think two Infernos ago, my group was Azza, Onion and Doyler. I knew at that point I was already out and just tried to have fun.

Had that been my first Inferno it would have been an absolutely moral crushing experience.

Maybe it could be an idea that if, on the day, we have enough new players, that they could get their own "free" group for their first Inferno only; to give them a taste of getting out of groups/double elimination and all the fun stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Maybe it could be an idea that if, on the day, we have enough new players, that they could get their own "free" group for their first Inferno only; to give them a taste of getting out of groups/double elimination and all the fun stuff?
    Bad idea.
    Because they'll be crushed in the next 2 games of the actual double-elimination stuff.
    Pro-tip: direct them to play more casuals.

*shrugs* I'm not married to the idea, but unless a new player is some sort of genius savant, they're going to get crushed eventually; there isn't anything that can be done about that. They'll have more fun if this isn't in the group stages though.

Directing them to casuals only works if they're not so put off by their first tourney experience that they trade-in their disc and buy something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

They'll just have to deal with it and level up

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Like Ramza says:

Tough love, baby.

As I said, it was only an idea. I'm not saying it's a great one. I was just throwing something out there in Doom's train of thought of "Making a new player's first Inferno less crap by slightly modifying the seeding process".

I'm aware that that concept doesn't jive with a lot of turkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

doesn't jive with a lot of turkeys.
    Awesome.

Regarding newcomers though, I dont really think that there's much to be done there. In general the skill level at the tournaments has gotten pretty damn high over the last year so there's never going to be an easy road for any new players.
    Only thing that can be done is just try to keep them interested if they're annihilated in their group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

I think monthly inferno needs to stay. It has grown into what it is and needs to stay. Changing the seeds to reflect the last six tourneys might better reflect the actual seedings as a sample of three is a bit small. I mean I think I'm now in the top 16 which is a bit ridicules :o

I would also advocate a yearly or seasonal tournament/event for the bling. Maybe a separate thread for that discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

Even with the seeds these days groups are still tough.

Casuals are the key to interesting new faces, be that the casuals people can get during inferno or a casuals session. I think at inferno it's often harder to get a game with people playing long casuals sets(I'm guilty of this).

Maybe after groups have at least 1 dedicated casuals machine where 3 and off is played a little more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

just wondering but who is running Inferno next?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That'd be me.

Advertisement