Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno/General Thoughts

Options
  • 20-12-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭

With the gap before the next Inferno I thought this be a good chance to look at how things are going with Inferno and maybe with everything else in general.

I'm sure price will come again so can I just ask that you also look at other aspects because generally when this stuff gets brought up the price seems to dominate.

The main thing from the last Inferno was the side tournaments. I think it was good to have something else on the day but two may have been mistake and certainly waiting so long to get them started was a mistake. I think the side event could be run during groups of the main tournament without affecting the timing too much. It would also mean that we could have the finals of the side tournament during the lull while the bracket for the main tournament is prepared.

Venue seems grand for the moment. The bit more thought led to it being more comfortable this month with room for everything. Size wise I am slightly worried if we get up to larger attendance. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

All in all I think we're in fairly good shape. Just gotta get t-shirts and posters sorted.

There's also the matter of the games that are coming out this year. The SSF4 launch event was really good and I'd love to do something similar for some the games this year (marvel). Any one have any ideas on the best way to do things?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'd like to take feedback on what we do to make the commentary better from here on in.

I get the feeling most people are happy enough so far but I'd like to make it less seat of the pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I think it would be easier for everyone involved if it was moved to Carlow.

And it should be just Ry and farz hurling abuse on the vids.

Sagat06 wrote: »

And it should be just Ry and farz hurling abuse on the vids.

Believe it or not, both Farz and Ry were both quite reserved on the mike!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm gonna agree with Zorin and say Moar....Moar Power.....do it!!! Full Throttle!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

lads i think its time.
    INFERNO SPECIAL FEBRUARY THE 5TH

Farzad [the sensei]
    VS
    Ry [the student]

first to ten. FISTS WILL FLY AT THIS LOCATION.
    Ry will have his stick and practice, it will be offline, no costume lag. He can block the mash ex legs. Will he be competent enough to take on the mind games?

On a serious note, i will defo have posters ready, we shall print them in time and hopefully stick them around busy , demographically acceptable locations.

Not sure about shirts. A commentary chair, table would be nice.

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    lads i think its time.
    INFERNO SPECIAL FEBRUARY THE 5TH

Farzad [the sensei]
    VS
    Ry [the student]

first to ten. FISTS WILL FLY AT THIS LOCATION.
    Ry will have his stick and practice, it will be offline, no costume lag. He can block the mash ex legs. Will he be competent enough to take on the mind games?

On a serious note, i will defo have posters ready, we shall print them in time and hopefully stick them around busy , demographically acceptable locations.

Not sure about shirts. A commentary chair, table would be nice.

TBH I would think posters are way higher up the priority list than shirts.

A table and chairs would be cool for commentary. Weirdly enough they seemed to be at a premium in the exchange!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

TBH I would think posters are way higher up the priority list than shirts.

A table and chairs would be cool for commentary. Weirdly enough they seemed to be at a premium in the exchange!

Its true but we can sort stuff out. A commentator section would be a good way to get those really low chairs with arms out of the way because they were useless for playing in.

And yeah posters are top of the list now me thinks although cost wise unless unless people are chipping in to pay for them, they will take up most of the earnings from an Inferno. So something to consider. Personally I think paying for and getting my own poster would be best.

Orim wrote: »
    Its true but we can sort stuff out. A commentator section would be a good way to get those really low chairs with arms out of the way because they were useless for playing in.

And yeah posters are top of the list now me thinks although cost wise unless unless people are chipping in to pay for them, they will take up most of the earnings from an Inferno. So something to consider. Personally I think paying for and getting my own poster would be best.

Maybe we could do a run and people pay for 2 posters, get to keep one or something.

I'd definitely like an inferno poster or 2.

I'd love a generic poster of the Irish scene with no dates and stuff, and would be willing to pay real monies for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

i just installed PS i can mess around with a design for a poster for a while post n see what ppl think?
    A suggestion of course!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I may be in the minority, but I think once a month has really taken the "event" out of Inferno, once a month just seems a little too often. If it was a slightly less common event, people may be more inclined to take work off for it and head to Dublin or whatever. If it was once every two months and then every other month there was a day of champions + big casuals day, I think that'd be my ideal set up.

Just my own opinion on it. Apart from that, TV needs more lag and Guile should be banned. ;)

Agree with ya Onion. I struggle to make these regularly but if they were less common it would be easier to justify time off etc

I can see the point and I agree but I would rather keep it as monthly thing and have another event every quarter or similar. A Wheel of Inferno, if you will, which takes that months tournaments and puts them into one big event.

That would be my ideal set up as I do like having a regular event but I do say this as someone who is in Dublin and as such making it to Inferno isn't a huge deal for me.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I wouldn't be against the idea of it being once every 2 months or a slightly longer delay between events.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I like things being monthly.
    Means that if when I miss one event, the next one is not TOO far away.

Also I'd like to petition for the player ranks to be reset in January.

Orim wrote: »
    but I do say this as someone who is in Dublin and as such making it to Inferno isn't a huge deal for me.

Exactly. My ideal set up would be for you to run a montlhy league meet, like the glacial league. And a quartley 'big' tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I think monthly is fine.

The side tournaments were fun too.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Also I'd like to petition for the player ranks to be reset in January.

Reasoning behind that? They were already reset for Super and they're just evening out now.

Also I like it monthly, it means if you miss one you're not left waiting.

There's no reason, I can think of, for rankings to be reset. We brought in decaying seeds for precisely that reason. We no longer have the case where it's impossible for a new player to get into the seedings because of time and similar.

As an example for one of the recent tournaments, Azza went from outside top 16th to 7th or 8th due to a tournament which is only possible due to the decaying seeds. That wasn't due to any past performances and was purely because of his win. This is possible for any player now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

We need a monthly event. All of us cant make casuals, Its good practice.
    People who find it hard to travel should just come every 2 months ;)

also fomay, pfft i make the posters around here. :pac:
    I'll do one over xmas. We just use inferno money [the extra] to print some for posting around the city. People who want one for themselves can pay for those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Once a month for Inferno is fine imho. The more frequent, the better the chance of getting new players to come along.

Like the idea of a big once or twice a year tournament. Now that the pool of regular players is bigger if one was arranged once a year then the infernos could be used to get this to all in the pool of players and make it a special event - one where everyone on the scene shows up. Could also allow for invitations for some of the English guys/French guys to make an annual trip for glory. They might not, but until you create the big event and send the invites, we'll never know. There is enough players in Ireland to make the event a success.

Just a thought but we could also look at having this big event cover other fighting games like tekken, soul calibre, and BB. This could expand the attendance, inter-connect the communities better and maybe allow for greater expense (as you've more of a pool of people coming). Just a thought.

I digress a bit. Inferno is run well. Big up to Dan for the latest and consistent organising, The Doom for recordin, Dred and Chopper and others I am sure I will forget to put in (except Farz!), for their persistent efforts in keeping it going. Good job lads!

As for the posters - awesome, but I will never thank Farz for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Other thing about monthly ones is that there's a lot of times where some of the bigger players Can't come along - while it's setting false standards about who the top players are, it's still nice for other folks to get a taste of winning every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

For me personally, monthly has hurt the standard of Inferno. There's not the same sense of occasion and that's reflected in the numbers.

If it was every two months I'd go out of my way to make each one and I think it'd restore a bit of meaning to each event.

I have noticed it's just the people from outside the Dublin area commenting on the frequency but with the numbers you guys have in Dublin a monthly ranbat would make sense to me with occasional appearances from people who can't commit to monthly event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Im all for the monthly tournaments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I've said it before, that I believe that inferno should be held less frequently and keep it a bit more special. I'm not against having a tournament of some variety every month, but the big inferno should be more of an event(to quote Sagat06/D4rk Onion). The world cup wouldn't be so special if it was every year......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I do agree that especially now that I'm in Cork it's very hard to justify heading to Dublin every month for an Inferno. However, I really do think there needs to be a monthly event in Dublin to keep interest and player practice going.
    As has been sort of suggested, maybe keep the Infernos running as normal but quarterly or bimonthly run a larger event with possibly a higher buy in that everyone in the country is encouraged to make if they cant get to the regulars.
    Finally then a mad Super Smash Wheel of Inferno: Bloodline Rebellion XXACPlus could be run once a year for a big hootenany.

As for the venue itself, The Exchange seemed pretty grand for running Infernos for the moment I would imagine. There was plenty of room that we didn't go near at the last event and the projector setup was all sorts of badass.

Ooh, also, the side tournaments were a great addition. Definitely keep that **** going. As said though, two running simultaeniously was too much. Especially with the breakneck speed EX Plus Alpha runs at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Keep it at 1 every month but every 2nd month can be called SUPER INFERNO to make it special for the people who only want to go every 2nd month :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I think we could do maybe with 1 or 2 extra monitors/TVs. I dunno if it's just my crippling shyness or not but I felt like it was a bit hard to get games at the Infernos. I understand that not everyone is gonna get a game constantly but thought 1 or 2 extra monitors would help, especially if we're trying to get new people to add to the numbers

I like the whole commentary thing and I was happy to see that it was being quiet, I thought it would be kinda booming over the room or something. And I like the projector with the big screen on the wall.

I thought the side tournaments was a good idea. Nice variety. Maybe some MvC2 next time? :D

Well I've only been at 2 Inferno's so I wouldn't know much about the older infernos and how they were run but I think we're going good, just 1 or 2 extra monitors.

I think we should keep Inferno as a monthly event but like others have said, hold a massive one maybe like every 3-4 months and that should encourage attendance. Inferno is one of the things I look forward to in the upcoming months so I'd like to keep it monthly but hey, not my call.

Roll on next Inferno :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I think we could do maybe with 1 or 2 extra monitors/TVs.

Feel free to bring one then. :pac:

Imo monthly is fine (funny how everyone in Dublin is saying monthly and everyone outside is saying once every two months eh), I'm all for the idea of running a bigger event every quarter or so as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    (funny how everyone in Dublin is saying monthly and everyone outside is saying once every two months eh)

^

On a more serious note, I think monthly is fine too, a month is a long time folks. Once every two months seems a bit too little (as in 5/6 a year)

Advertisement