Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Apple products addictive?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Absolutely hate the iPhone for many, many reasons, and it has definitely put me off buying a mac, which I was considering, or any Apple products in the future... but I'm not going to go there just now except to appeal to anyone who can offer me a solution to the dwarf-sized charger cable, which even in the smallest boxroom in the house, fails to reach from the mains socket to anywhere near the bed!? Vodafone told me there is no such thing, there appears to be some online, but apparently it is quite hit and miss as to whether they will actually work, in terms of charging rather than just syncing? Can anyone tell me of an actual bricks and mortar establishment (in Dublin) where I can buy an extension cable for the iPhone 3GS? Thanks for any help! :)

Theres a rather easy solution to your problem... Try moving your bed closer to the socket! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Swop or Swap?

IMO, I really shouldn't have to rearrange the furniture in a tiny boxroom to use a so-called 'Smartphone', never had a problem with any of it's non-Apple predecessors... Is this the 'Apple arrogance' I've heard mentioned, maybe? The cable is apallingly small and they don't even seem to sell a standard extension cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

IMO, I really shouldn't have to rearrange the furniture in a tiny boxroom to use a so-called 'Smartphone', never had a problem with any of it's non-Apple predecessors... Is this the 'Apple arrogance' I've heard mentioned, maybe? The cable is apallingly small and they don't even seem to sell a standard extension cable.

So basically, your saying the phone is sh!t, not a great "smartphone" and turns you off other Apple products simply because it doesn't reach your bed when plugged in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Absolutely hate the iPhone for many, many reasons, and it has definitely put me off buying a mac, which I was considering, or any Apple products in the future... but I'm not going to go there just now except to appeal to anyone who can offer me a solution to the dwarf-sized charger cable, which even in the smallest boxroom in the house, fails to reach from the mains socket to anywhere near the bed!? Vodafone told me there is no such thing, there appears to be some online, but apparently it is quite hit and miss as to whether they will actually work, in terms of charging rather than just syncing? Can anyone tell me of an actual bricks and mortar establishment (in Dublin) where I can buy an extension cable for the iPhone 3GS? Thanks for any help! :)

How about an electrical extension lead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I would buy Apple products if they were priced at a competitive range, didn't have draconian DRM schemes, and basically offered the same experience as my Linux machines. I take reliability as a priority over everything else. Apple does not. Sometimes I feel people purchasing Apple hardware are not too good at making objective decisions. You can't berate the Windows users when the hardware is insanely expensive and the lock in situation is worse. "PC vs Mac" **** is a joke too.

*cough* http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/why-free-software-and-apples-iphone-dont-mix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.

Now I am a big supporter of floss - but I use my laptop way too much to have to worry about it breaking or spending time to play a music file day to day.

Also explain how a laptop that can run every os - runs twice as fast and twice as long and doesnt break half as often should be the same price as a 600 euro sony or whatever?

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.

Now I am a big supporter of floss - but I use my laptop way too much to have to worry about it breaking or spending time to play a music file day to day.

Also explain how a laptop that can run every os - runs twice as fast and twice as long and doesnt break half as often should be the same price as a 600 euro sony or whatever?

Now what about if you want to run a server? I would take Linux anyday over a Mac. But then again, thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

Naikon wrote: »
    Now what about if you want to run a server? I would take Linux anyday over a Mac. But then again, thats just me.

so, why are you in the mac forum? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Agree with you on that. I love Linux. But I'm a nerd who likes messing with stuff.

However, Apple are in the business to provide computers to a mass Market. An average consumer doesn't want to touch Linux. Hence very few people even know what it is.

Mac OS X is by far the best OS for doing every day average stuff (surfing, media playing, no under the hood worries, no virus threats etc etc). But it also combines a lot of nice features that advanced users can appreciate.

IMO...you get what you pay for when it comes to consumer computing products. Sure you can get a savage machine for cheap with Linux on it, but you need to know what you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

iPhone 3g
    imac 24"
    Macbook Pro 17"
    Mac Mini (2007)
    ipad (for xmas)
    Airport Express (refurb)

All of the above bought second hand (mostly on here). I'd love to have all new but can't afford them. I've come from being a solely windows based head for 13+ years. They're addictive, but they're also functional (& stylish). They just work.

Love macs. Won't use anything else now when I have a choice.

Some day I'll replace them all with new though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Also, Windows based pcs are cheaper because they're subsidised with a load of crappy trial software that's pre-installed and usually too difficult for the average user to stop from running in the background. So before you've even installed the software you want you've a few processes running from startup in the background that you don't want, and so it's slow from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

A server - yes I would have it running on all FLOSS, consumer macs are what we are mainly talking bout here.

banquo wrote: »
    Also, Windows based pcs are cheaper because they're subsidised with a load of crappy trial software that's pre-installed and usually too difficult for the average user to stop from running in the background. So before you've even installed the software you want you've a few processes running from startup in the background that you don't want, and so it's slow from day one.

This can be fixed pretty handy though in fairness. nlite/vlite the install is another more extreme option, but it's doable. Ok, maybe not for
    "the average user", but opening up msconfig and clicking a few non essential service boxes is not going to cause any major sweating.

This can be fixed pretty handy though in fairness. nlite/vlite the install is another more extreme option, but it's doable. Ok, maybe not for
    "the average user", but opening up msconfig and clicking a few non essential service boxes is not going to cause any major sweating.

I agree. If you're tech-savvy it's no problem, but if you're purely a passive user you buy OSX so you don't have to do stuff like this. <3 the free market.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Here we go...

Macbook Pro Early 2007
    AppleTV Original 30 Gb
    Time Capsule Original 1TB
    iPod 3G White 15 Gb
    iPod Classic Silver 160 Gb
    iPhone 3G 16 Gb (given to my mum)
    iPhone 4 Black 16 Gb

On the whole I'm pleased with the setup. Next machine is going to be an iMac, I can't really justify the price premium for the MBP given the iMac's performance.

Same. Would adore an MBP but the cost to power ratio swings the iMac well into favour.

27" i7 model, drool. Someday...

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    So basically, your saying the phone is sh!t, not a great "smartphone" and turns you off other Apple products simply because it doesn't reach your bed when plugged in?

Errmmmm nope... read the first sentence of my original post again... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pcbscott

hell yes they are addictive.

Had a powerbook g4 15''

Now with

Black Macbook
    Macbook pro 13''
    Wireless keyboard
    Wireless mouse
    Wireless trackpad
    Ipod nano

Soon an Iphone I think :)

How about an electrical extension lead?

Thanks for your suggestion Odaise, maybe Apple can include this one in their next campaign:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hB-xoqsfL._SL500_.jpg

Although, in all fairness, this would probably best please the Marketing department with it's innovative colour palette....

http://static.phonesreview.co.uk/wp-content/phoneimages/2007/12/masterplug-standard-15m-extension-cable-reel.jpg

:o

My (amazing) girlfriend made me this for my birthday cake:

5327759187_7e38b0f686.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

banquo wrote: »
    My (amazing) girlfriend made me this for my birthday cake:

5327759187_7e38b0f686.jpg

A bit worrying to be honest!

Also reinforces my view of the cult of Apple!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭StanMcConnell

I used to be very anti Apple and iPod.

I then got a iPod Nano 2G as a Christmas gift. It's now my mum's.

Then got a 2nd hand Powerbook G4, still got that, but planning on fixing and selling it.

Then came the 2nd hand iPod Touch 1G, which inspired 3 or 4 of my friends to get 1 too.

This led to a iPhone 3GS and then I got a unibody Macbook after some problems with my powerbook. I'm currently planning on getting an iPad soon and upgrading to the iPhone 5 in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i used be very anti-apple too,

until my mum bought a 3gs, one look at it and i fell in love with it,

so i saved up for one, halfway there i won €500 so i bought one and haven't looked back since,

of course once i had the phone (and my laptop died) i HAD to get a macbook pro to replace it because it was such a damn nice laptop and i loved the mac OS, and now i'm waiting to see the ipad2 and iphone 5 to upgrade to,

addicted isn't the word,

my partner and his family were all anti-apple, the now all sport iphone4's and ipads....and im sure a mac computer is on the way too....my partner is also looking at the shuffle because he likes the watch idea.

my family all now have the new ipod touches, and my cousin bought a macbook pro after hearing me rave about them....

so yeah im an addict.

A bit worrying to be honest!

Also reinforces my view of the cult of Apple!:p

GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN. RUN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

opening up msconfig and clicking a few non essential service boxes is not going to cause any major sweating.

But, ultimately, this really doesn't achieve anything major.

Advertisement