Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Apple products addictive?

Options
  • 19-12-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I did'nt have a single apple product this time last year but since i got an Iphone 3GS as a gift in January it became a slippery (and expensive) slope. Since the 3GS i have bought a 13" Macbook Pro, Airport Extreme, Iphone 4 and a 21" Imac. Anybody else experience this slippery slope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Yes! - i bought my iMac a few years ago when i started college, then an iPod, then 3 gens of iPhones (skipped the 3G), then an iPad and now a Macbook Air.
    Got a Time Machine as a gift too. Very expensive habit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

it is an addiction of sorts I suppose; my collection has:

21.5" iMac
    13' MacBook Pro
    iPhone 3Gs (will be 4 soon) with TomTom kit
    iPad 64GB 3g
    AppleTV
    Time Capsule
    2x Airport Express (for AirTunes)
    1st Gen iPod Nano 2GB
    2nd Gen iPod Touch 16gb
    1st Gen iPod - 5Gb (the original)
    iPod Classic 160gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Any of you gents care to share some of that money you have..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Now that you mentioned it...it scares me to recall the amount of money I've spent on Apple gear:

20 inch iMac
    iPhone 3GS
    13 inch MacBook
    iPad 16GB
    Airport extreme router
    iPod nano 4GB
    Apple TV

I make that around €4k...eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I went from

iPod 5g as an xmas present
    iPod touch 2gen
    Macbook Pro 13"
    iPhone 3gs
    iPhone 4
    Macbook Pro 15

& countless accessories... in other words.. yes they're very addictive :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Ye same here, I used numerous machines from apple and bought way to much!

13" Macbook
    15" Macbook Pro (Unibody
    24" iMac
    Mac Pro
    16GB iPad (WiFi)
    16GB iPhone 3G
    32GB iPhone 4
    iPod nano (think it was the 2nd G)

Used these two for a few months each. Basically got apple to change each laptop that broke with a better one!!
    13" Blackbook (Black MacBook)
    17"MacBook Pro

Never mind all the stuff to compliment it all!
    Dell 24" Monitor
    11 HD's
    Logitech 5.1 Speakers
    Logitech Keyboard and mouse
    Wacom Tablet (yet to arrive!)
    20" Samsung SyncMaster

Oh dear.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

iPod classic then a Macbook - several more iPod classics and then a macbook pro.

Good products are worth it - not just Apple products. Technology however is addictive in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

I hear ya.
    1 mac pro with cinema display
    2 MacBook pro 15 inch
    1 time capsule
    1 airport extreme
    1 iPhone 4
    1 iPhone 3G
    1 iPod classic
    1 iPod nano
    1 iPod touch
    2 airport express
    1 apple tv.
    1 iPad 3G
    Getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yup. Though I haven't been able to afford much, just outta college!

I went:

*iPod Touch, first Christmas they were out and I thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Spent hours playing through menus, completely fell in love with the design. Gorgeous, especially for the first incarnation of a product. Hadn't known about iPhone then.

*iphone

*ipad

*Apple Tv

*Macbook Pro sooooon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I'm still early on in my addiction:

iPod Mini
    iPod Classic
    iPhone
    iMac 24"
    iPod Shuffle (X-Mas)
    iPhone 4 (X-Mas)

I hope to add a MacBook Pro to that next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Got a gift of an 80GB iPod about 5 years ago.

Haven't spent a penny on any Apple products since. Crazy expensive when there are so many alternatives out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

I only started getting apple shidizzle last year

80GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone 3Gs
    iMac
    Macbook Pro 15"

My christmas list is mactacular!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I seriously don't get some of the people who have iPhones and then have several iPods. What's the point? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I have my old nano plugged directly in to the car, the classic has the whole collection on it and the touch was there before the iPhone

I don't pay any heed to heads telling me that there a better alternatives ... Not in my world where every thing is on the same platform and is totally integrated .. Im not techie and couldnt be arsed spending time trying to integrate everything.

The iMac has everything on it, the MacBook is the portable, the iPad is the new constant compaion..

The iPad controls everything now from the AppleTV to the AirTunes ... The iPhone is obviously the phone and all backed up and wireless from the time capsule.

Everything so simple a monkey could set it up and it just works

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

SantryRed wrote: »
    I seriously don't get some of the people who have iPhones and then have several iPods. What's the point? :confused:

awkward trying to call someone on my ipod shuffle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Not as much.

I have a 3 year old iMac, which is still going strong.

My wife is using a 4 year old Macbook, again, going strong, just needed a new battery.

She has an iPhone 4, I have an old iPod Touch and a new iPod Nano, as well as an iPad 16gig WiFi. I have had every version of the iPhone at some stage but due to work, currently using a Samsung Omnia 7, which is the first phone I can see replacing my iPhone and the first one that hasn't had me pining for the iPhone back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

17" 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro (2006)
    2.0 GHz Mac Mini (2007)
    2.25 GHz Mac Mini (2009)
    2.5 GHz Mac Mini Server (2010)
    8GB iPod Touch
    32GB iPhone 3GS
    1TB Time Capsule

Have resisted the iPad and MacBook Air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Talisman wrote: »
    17" 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro (2006)
    2.0 GHz Mac Mini (2007)
    2.25 GHz Mac Mini (2009)
    2.5 GHz Mac Mini Server (2010)
    8GB iPod Touch
    32GB iPhone 3GS
    1TB Time Capsule

Have resisted the iPad and MacBook Air.

Somebody likes mac minis!!

Do you use them as HTPCs or just normal desktop use?

Itching to get the latest one as a HTPC / Home server but can't justify the price tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

27" iMac (June 2010)
    8GB iPod touch (2009).
    Apple TV (for Christmas).

Would love an iPhone but can't justify €600 for a phone.:eek:

Although our three adult children now have an iPhone each (bought by themselves I may add!). One of them also has a Mac Book Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

Do you use them as HTPCs or just normal desktop use?

Itching to get the latest one as a HTPC / Home server but can't justify the price tag.
    One is used as a HTPC, the other two are used for work.

I purchased the Mini server in the refurbished store. Keep an eye on it particularly after new versions of products are released/due for release.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

iPod & 17" powerbook g4 from 2003, both still in everyday use.
    Airport express (died) and extreme (no longer used).
    Couple of iPod minis, one in the car and the other my daughter uses...
    Iphone 3G.

Wish list was to get a 27" iMac i7 but changing now to wanting a mini (server) and maybe another mini for the TV... might be easier to slip multiple smaller purchases under the radar than one big(ger) ticket item :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I think some people get so caught up in Apple's marketing hype that they let it become almost like an addiction.

I currently own a MacBook Pro and a Mac Mini. I also have a 30 gig 5G iPod lying around that I intend using for something at some point. That replaced an iPod Mini about 4 and a half years ago. But after that, nah. I have a HTC Hero that'll most likely be getting replaced by another Android phone when it's past its useful life. This also serves me for music. I've a Linux server and a Linux nettop as a HTPC. I don't see the point in tablets really, but if I ever did pick one up I reckon it'd be an Android model. I've considered iOS plenty of times and decided it's fairly rubbish.

So I don't think I'm addicted. But I like Macs :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

1 x Mini 1.83 c2d (my Work)
    1 x mini G4 1.25 (Family)
    1 x 13" MBP bought a couple of months ago.
    1 x iPad (Wife)
    2 x iPhone 4s.
    1 x iPhone 3G (Backup)
    1 12" 1GHz Powerbook
    1 Apple wireless KB
    1 Apple wireless mighty mouse (not used - didn't like it went back to Wireless Logitech Trackball)
    1 x Airport Base Station (Not used)
    Next gen iPad is on my shopping list.

i saw the MB Air 11" yesterday, and it is gorgeous. Would suit me perfectly for doing presentations for work too. Seriously tempted to get one, I must admit, as I don't need it to do any heavy lifting, but its either that or that iPad

I came this close to buying the "11 MBA. It's just gorgeous. And so fast! Couldn't get over the speed of it.

Pity I've more debt than a failed African state. But I'll be getting either that or the 2g iPad. Gonna wait till January iPad announcement to make up my mind.

Ok people, this thread is looking pretty slick! What about photos of people's setups?

I'd get the ball rolling but it's a mess at the minute! I'll post something up in a while. If this takes off we might get the mod's to sticky it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Photo%20Dec%2022%2C%206%2055%2001%20p.m..jpg

Out of shot is my iPhone 4 (which i used to take the photo) and my raindesign mStand - which I'm not using for the moment to try save desk space

Spec of MBP is

15" Mid-2010
    Core i5 2.53Ghz
    4GB RAM
    500GB 7200RPM
    Widescreen Hi-res display (1680x1050) - stunning screen

Hopefully upgrading 8GB ram in a few months and swapping the HDD for a SSD

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

7c57d443.jpg
    e46a953a.jpgI'm missing a few boxes, so im gonna say yes.

love it! love the shot of the boxes. I still have all mine, never thought of including them! I'll do mine tomorrow!

Nice! I've always had a soft spot for the mac mini.

Won't be able to post my setup till I can get back to my office. Great idea for a thread though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Swop or Swap?

Absolutely hate the iPhone for many, many reasons, and it has definitely put me off buying a mac, which I was considering, or any Apple products in the future... but I'm not going to go there just now except to appeal to anyone who can offer me a solution to the dwarf-sized charger cable, which even in the smallest boxroom in the house, fails to reach from the mains socket to anywhere near the bed!? Vodafone told me there is no such thing, there appears to be some online, but apparently it is quite hit and miss as to whether they will actually work, in terms of charging rather than just syncing? Can anyone tell me of an actual bricks and mortar establishment (in Dublin) where I can buy an extension cable for the iPhone 3GS? Thanks for any help! :)

Advertisement