Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another stardust waiting to happen?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

look, the majority on proprietors obey the rules and adhere to regulations, i have attended alot of fires and other type emergencies in nite clubs over my 20 years firefighting in dublin and all off them were successful evacuations and by in large have resulted in very few casualties, with the exception to a chemical release within a club which resulted in some minors.
    making comparisons nowadays to the stardust fire is like making a comparison to the forensics investigation into the murder of the american in the play "the field" by john b keane.

there is none. thing have come along way since.

most people/public are now very aware of their own safety while out at night and everybody knows if they have a problem their is a manager who is accountable on site and they generally they complain and get a successful result.
    nite clubs and pubs are probably the most conscious regarding this, i would have more of a worry for bedsits/digs which are very hard to govern and believe it or not some hotels.

every body see a clear exit at the end of hotel corridors and considers it safe, but in which i have experienced personally while on fire inspection/familiarity visits, when you walk these exit corridors and get to the end where the exit goes to the out side these are often clogged with boxes etc and used as storage areas. now we have no powers in law to order anyone to adhere to regs but generally we would give some friendly advice on these visits and the proprietors heads our advice...but they know we're coming in advance!!!

but where we really get results is when there is an ambulance assist case and the fire truck arrive to give me a dig out on the ambulance case and we go to use these exits and they are obstructed thats when the more off the record force full advice comes into play, legally we haven't a leg to stand on as a regular fire crew, but generally because of the organisation we represent this can be a bit of a hole opener for the staff.
    i for one would be in favor for surprise visit from local fire crews...without warning.
    merry xmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Club I used to work in had 3 exits. Main door, 1 emergency exit halfway round, 1 at far end.

Small club, max about 700 ppl. Was checked very regulary by inspectors. Gave out cos the light bulb went as he was going by once :D In fairness it was years old and it only just happened :D

He knew it tho cos he checked the place like 10 times a year :D

I reckon it was due to ppl reporting the place tbh, quite a few get kicked out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Bouncers should be equipped with clickers to monitor people going in and out and should be required to have a cut off point. In the States it is common to be waiting your turn outside until people leave before you are let in even if the pub / nightclub dose not seem crowded.

I see that all the time here. In or two smaller places I've seen them with 2 clickers to keep account of people leaving aswell as entering (only one entrance/exit) to give a rough idea of number inside.

I'd imagine the modern ticket dispensing systems in larger club keep total of how many are there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

ivabiggon wrote: »
    l...but they know we're coming in advance!!!

rediculous as you said yourself in fairness!

What is the point of forewarning?

There should be legislation to allow a fire officer to close a premises in extremis or at least impose fines and add a substatial weight to their opinion when renewal time comes for the licences.

Election time coming......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Eh, there is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

In the States it is common to be waiting your turn outside until people leave before you are let in even if the pub / nightclub dose not seem crowded.

Are you suggesting that in Ireland its rare to have people waiting to get into bars? Thats crazy talk. Plenty of Dublin bars and clubs will have a Q of people waiting to get in but have to wait because of numbers currently inside. In fact I would suggest most.

OP,
    Can I enquire if you have rang this in yet and what response you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DaCooler

Fuinseog wrote: »

maybe there is no maximum capacity regulation in Dublin or if there is one that it is not taken seriously.

I happen to know that one of the mentioned clubs is aloud to hold 1450 people max and is regularly visited and inspected by the fire officer. The door men have counters on the door and can tell you at any point in the night how many people exactly are in the venue. I would also like to add that safety in this venue is taken very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Impartial first post poster?

Advertisement