Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home weather stations

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Thanks for the replies guys, should have checked in here with the experts first:( Ah well it will do for starters, can always upgrade at a later date:)
    Will let yee know how i get on when it arrives and i get it set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

I have the same station and i find it great fun, i don't think you will regret buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

highdef wrote: »
    I have the same one and it's grand. The only major problem (and it's a big problem) is that temperature readings are WAY off when the thermometer is in direct sunlight. I must read up to see if there is some other some sort of shade that can be made for this problem. Other than this, it appears to be quite accurate.
    If you get some sort of sun shade for the thermometer, you'll be laughing. If not, you'll be registering temperatures in the 30's by as early as next weekend, if current forecasts materialise!

Must do that myself its not bad but the readings are slightly up on what i would expect, i think a couple of bits of wood painted white as shielding might be my first try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My sensors seem to be gone mad?

154287.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Sorry to drag up such an old thread but I have a quick question if nobody minds.

I'm looking at getting my dad a weather station for fathers day but after doing a little research it seems like they all need a laptop to run the software needed to make forecasts. Am I right or can it be done on the digital read out that comes with them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Some of them will give you a basic forecast like a cludy or rain icon on the screen.
    None of them will give you a forecast as such although maybe the Davis pro does something close but they are very expensive.

Best bet is to get him a brand name station like an Oregon Scientific, La Crosse etc their basic but work pretty well and are quite accurate.
    I have an Oregon Scientific WMR 88 it cost about 150 Stg and its great and does exactly what its supposed to.
    It measure Wind, Rain, Temp, humidity and pressure.
    I hooked it up to a computer and some software and now have it uploading to www.dundalkweather.com

Best advice would be to spend as much as you can afford and get a decent one, avoid Maplins etc

Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

highdef wrote: »

If you get some sort of sun shade for the thermometer, you'll be laughing. If not, you'll be registering temperatures in the 30's by as early as next weekend, if current forecasts materialise!

My thermometer is in a butter box and the readings are way off in direct sunlight aswell. I'm currently in the process of getting a Stevenson screen, hopefully that will correct the issue. If not then it doesn't bother me too much, I'm not particularly interested in the temperatures when the sun is around anyways. :pac:

Weather station arrived and have it set up and running with cumulus software. Only problem is when i look back at the history log, its all gobbeldy gook numbers and dates all over the place, cant make sence of it. I must have some settings wrong? can't find anything in the help files. Any help would be gratefull:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Weather station arrived and have it set up and running with cumulus software. Only problem is when i look back at the history log, its all gobbeldy gook numbers and dates all over the place, cant make sence of it. I must have some settings wrong? can't find anything in the help files. Any help would be gratefull:)

If you register and open a thread here either Steve or Daj will sort you out fairly quickly.
    Good Luck :)

Fionagus wrote: »
    If you register and open a thread here either Steve or Daj will sort you out fairly quickly.
    Good Luck :)

Thanks fionagus, steve sorted me out allright, within half an hour of posting the problem:).

Now another problem i have:(, registered my station on wounderground, entered all the details got my station id ( IMAYOSW12 ) set up on sunday, but its still not active. The cumulus has been sending data through rapid fire every 10/15 seconds. Sent an e-mail to wounderground yesterday, still no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Thanks fionagus, steve sorted me out allright, within half an hour of posting the problem:).

Now another problem i have:(, registered my station on wounderground, entered all the details got my station id ( IMAYOSW12 ) set up on sunday, but its still not active. The cumulus has been sending data through rapid fire every 10/15 seconds. Sent an e-mail to wounderground yesterday, still no reply.

Glad you got it sorted :)

As for Wunderground, it can take a day to go live but yours should be up and running by now :confused:

Try re-entering your station ID and password again in Cumulus and remember they are case sensitive. The ID should be in capitals but your password may not be. Other than that I don't know what the prob could be?

Fionagus wrote: »
    Glad you got it sorted :)

As for Wunderground, it can take a day to go live but yours should be up and running by now :confused:

Try re-entering your station ID and password again in Cumulus and remember they are case sensitive. The ID should be in capitals but your password may not be. Other than that I don't know what the prob could be?

Got sorted, the problem was the station ID mistaking 12 FOR I2, it was the letter i not 1 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Anyone recommend a decent home weather station?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 windmistro

Bought one in Maplin for €69 pretty good but no wind direction and wind speed transmits every 50s would like something to transmit a bit quicker like 3s

• Registered Users Posts: 2 windmistro

Thanks weatherman2012 i check it out

Advertisement