Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home weather stations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

PauloMN wrote: »
    Coming from Germany, was shipped on Dec 16th..

Yer sound I'd say. Just stuck with the weather, but I'd give them a ring or email to say it's late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Must have been a limited offer, I did hear about someone on here getting it for €90, but I rang Blanch and it was €180 or something. You got a bargain there.
    It was in the xmas specials catalog, must be expired now so I'll shut up...:p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

whitesands wrote: »
    It was in the xmas specials catalog, must be expired now so I'll shut up...:p

Muppets, I used to get that catalogue posted to my address, but when I moved they never sent one to my new address even though I rang them, mailed them, called in etc.. Would have saved me a load of bother. :(

PauloMN, any update?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

No, fraid not, :(, package still in Koln (since Dec 16th according to DHL tracking site). I've asked the company for a refund but they've not responded to my email.

Don't know what's going on tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Villain wrote: »
    There are several ways to host your data, I can help, what station do you have and what software are you using?

Hi..
    I have a WH1080 station and the software that comes as standard with it.. "EasyWeather" although I find the software very basic... I'd be interested in hosting somewhere...

Thanks..

Yay, it came today! Now for some fun after work. :D

Yay, it came today! Now for some fun after work. :D

Yippeee!!!! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

bbam wrote: »
    Hi..
    I have a WH1080 station and the software that comes as standard with it.. "EasyWeather" although I find the software very basic... I'd be interested in hosting somewhere...

Thanks..

Do NOT use EasyWeather, after a week it will kill the speed of your PC/Laptop. Download Cumulus instead.

Also the WH1080's will read incorrectly in sunny weather as the shields are not good. The IWN removed a few of these from the map. IIRC, Liam on the IWN who owns the Stacks Mountain Weather Station, built his own Stevenson's Screen to house his Oregon Temperature sensor because he felt it was over reading in sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

any chance of a stickied thread where people who have weather stations give reviews of the equipment they use ,why its good/bad and comment on gear they have used in the past and why they changed?A lot of us lurkers are after getting a bit obsessed and are thinking of getting our own stations.
    regards Patrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Danno wrote: »
    Do NOT use EasyWeather, after a week it will kill the speed of your PC/Laptop. Download Cumulus instead.

AFAIR you'll still need EasyWeather if you want to change the logging interval (but that's all you'll probably use it for!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I got one of those Maplin ones and i have to say although its far from perfect, i just love it. Its such a step up from running out to side of the shed with a torch on a dark morning to see what temp it is on my garden ornament...:D

I have to send back my rain guage... has only measured 0.2 mm of rain since last sept!lol If I was hoping to upload to some of the sites I wouldn't be 100% sure of the accuracy but I think that has a lot too to do with the positioning of the station.

As for the easy weather softwear, can't say i have noticed a change in lap top speed since downloading but only have a few months on it to date.

Good luck to all the new station owners... May it snow, hail, gale, rain and shine all in the one day to give you an all round test run :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

As someone who knows very little about computers, how hard easy is it to get your own webpage going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Apogee

Am I correct in thinking that the weather station module will continually store/log data and that the PC/Cumulus doesn't need to be left running continually?

If so, then how many days data can a home weather station typically store? It's an Elecsa/Watson W-8681/Fine Offset model.

Apogee wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that the weather station module will continually store/log data and that the PC/Cumulus doesn't need to be left running continually?

If so, then how many days data can a home weather station typically store? It's an Elecsa/Watson W-8681/Fine Offset model.

I'm not sure of your question: WH801: Weather Display: If not running will start collecting data as soon as it's connected. It will [for me at my level of understanding] only show records for what it collected live from the monitor unit.

I've not really tried the Easy Weather [though it#s needed to clear memory on my model and set it up].

If left to default recording my station should get about one month [perhaps 28 days] with my station I need to dump this data more or less monthly or some of the live data stop transmitting. I don't know whether this is a hardware or software issue.

In any even, with the right software one should be able to download all the data once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Hi all,

The gusty weather seems to have resulted in my rain gauge reading impossible rates of rain. I use Culumus and i was wondering does anyone know how i can adjust the values. I have a wh1080. I am reading 487mm rain for last 24 hrs:eek: Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

talkabout wrote: »
    Hi all,

The gusty weather seems to have resulted in my rain gauge reading impossible rates of rain. I use Culumus and i was wondering does anyone know how i can adjust the values. I have a wh1080. I am reading 487mm rain for last 24 hrs:eek: Thanks

Follow the link to reset your values but if i were you i would look into fixing your problem with tipping by strong wind as this will be a constant problem if you don't fix it.

http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#My_station_invented_some_rain_that_didn.27t_really_occur.2C_and_I_want_to_set_it_to_zero

Thanks Mickger844

I'm going to move the rain gauge off the pole and attach it to something more solid.

Thanks for the linlk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Maplins offer is probably the older model WH1080

For 20£ extra I went for the next gen model

http://www.signatrol.com/product/35_weather-station.html

Not sure how much better it is but its good value

• Advertisement

bogman wrote: »
    Not sure how much better it is but its good value

Same. The consul is slightly different but still suffers from the low contrast issue. The business end, the sensors are apparently identical.

http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3259

Thanks for clarifying that gbee, rarely look at the consul but have no issues with it either, think the 1090 represents great value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I have been having some trouble with my weather station, which is the model above (rain gauge not working and now the outdoor humidity not consistently reading). I must take it down and return to see what is the matter. When I contacted the support services I got a quick response which I am hoping is a good sign for getting my issues sorted. I'll let ye know as soon as i manage to get the darn thing of its post:D

eskimocat wrote: »
    I have been having some trouble with my weather station, which is the model above (rain gauge not working and now the outdoor humidity not consistently reading).

The rain gauge will be problematic and needs a little attention. These are not considered accurate and will not be accepted on IWN site for instance.

One can work on the defects and make a pleasant approximation with these or, if you are anywhere serious about your own weather station, send it back, get your refund and buy nothing less than a Davis Vantage Vue ~

I was given this advise before I bought my weather station, I decided I could not afford the near €500 for one though, but believe me a Davis V Vue is the minimum required.

That said I'm happy enough with my WH1081 and am modifying it slowly.

What steps are you taking gbee, proper shielding of the temperature sensor possibly?
    If you get a chance in the future post some images please ;)

Charles

eskimocat wrote: »
    I have been having some trouble with my weather station, which is the model above (rain gauge not working and now the outdoor humidity not consistently reading). I must take it down and return to see what is the matter. When I contacted the support services I got a quick response which I am hoping is a good sign for getting my issues sorted. I'll let ye know as soon as i manage to get the darn thing of its post:D

I had problems with my wind vane and sent it back to Maplins. They sent me out a complete new station so i now have two :) I then went online and bought a spare wind vane for £8. I will use the second station for spares. Have to say got great service from Maplins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Just after buying one of these today from their website, am i after wasting my money:confused:
    Should have checked this forum first:(

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Just after buying one of these today from their website, am i after wasting my money:confused:
    Should have checked this forum first:(

Yes, you should have checked first ~ but I only ever find out about anything until AFTER I've bought it.

Wasted your money? If you are serious about weather then the short answer is yes. If it's your first weather station then the learning experience is well worth the admission price.

You do get a full set of instrument to play with, and that was the attraction for me. I could have got a much better starter kit for the money but I'd have had to add on the 'extras' and then the cost was doubled.

Cost is an important factor, are you willing to spend, or would you have been willing to spend €500? Well, I'm not, I like weather but not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

I have the same one and it's grand. The only major problem (and it's a big problem) is that temperature readings are WAY off when the thermometer is in direct sunlight. I must read up to see if there is some other some sort of shade that can be made for this problem. Other than this, it appears to be quite accurate. the first one I got was faulty whereby it always said the wind was from the south west. The current one developed a problem when the weather was extremely cold a few months ago whereby the humidity readings were way off....always too low. Although over the space of a month or so, it "fixed" itself. no idea how but humidity readings are accurate enough now.

If you get some sort of sun shade for the thermometer, you'll be laughing. If not, you'll be registering temperatures in the 30's by as early as next weekend, if current forecasts materialise!

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    If you get some sort of sun shade for the thermometer, you'll be laughing. If not, you'll be registering temperatures in the 30's by as early as next weekend, if current forecasts materialise!

I use my software to minus 2°C in the warmer weather, I seem to have a bit of a suntrap and whilst my temperature is higher it's been within about two degrees, 2°C too much in the warm and 2°C too low in the cold.

Then again it is a micro climate reading and I actually bought other thermometers to check mine against and I was surprised to find -8°C was close enough with no software adjustment.

I'm showing 16.9°C now: against: Cork Airport 11°C: Roches Point 11°C: Cobh 13.3°C and N25 Midleton 12°C.

I guess it's time to set the offset in my software again. ;)

Advertisement