Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you have to work xmas day?

Options
  • 18-12-2010 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

anyone have to work christmas day?

i work in a hotel and the night club is open xmas nite!...officially the 26th...absolutely disgusted..means i cant have a drink for me dinner :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Change religion and then it won't bother you as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Hard luck. Nobody should have to work on Christmas day imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

42160798 wrote: »
    absolutely disgusted..means i cant have a drink for me dinner :mad:
    Pfft - just go in drunk....

And no, im off til January 7th. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not this time around, second time in about 7 years where I have not had to work one at least xmas day, st stephens or new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 42160798

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Pfft - just go in drunk....

And no, im off til January 7th. :D
    yeah ill see if theres busses on that nite!...defo have a few and drink durin work!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

means i cant have a drink for me dinner :mad:

drink instead of food?,raging alcoholic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Thank Christ I'm not working Christmas day, bad enough I have to work Christmas eve (which I'll be doing hungover) and a bus ride down afterwards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

i'd give my left bollok to have a job right now :(

i'd be ecstatic to work christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭immature ejaculation

disco xmas night??? Where??? Working St.Stevens day in a bar and New Years eve. Just ring in sick! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

well i work in a hotel nightclub (chasers in dunboyne) and we are open on the 23rd, 26th, 31st, 1st and 2nd, im in all of those days, dont complain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Every job I've worked in has had very few days off over the Christmas period, but so far, no, I've never had to work the day itself. I have friends who don't work in customer-facing roles and whose companies close up for a week or two at this time of year, jaysus I wonder what that'd be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I have 4 days work over the crimbo period and am delighted to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

So it it's opening the 26th, do you mean after midnight xmas night??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

No.. I've a bit of work to finish before Tuesday, then I won't be doing any more work until mid January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 42160798

i not complaing that i have a job...im just not happy we're expected to work on xmas nite from 11 to closing on standard pay...we were not even asked could we come in...

well i work in a hotel nightclub (chasers in dunboyne) and we are open on the 23rd, 26th, 31st, 1st and 2nd, im in all of those days, dont complain
    arent you lucky to have so many nights off?...im on the 25th,26th, 27th, 30th, 31st and the 1st....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

OP.
    Didn't they change the licensing laws a few years ago to stop this happening?
    Before the change night clubs could open at midnight on christmas night and good friday, but the law was altered so that an extension or late license is dated on the start of the night rather than the following day.

Unless your night club is only open to residents of the hotel who will also be dining there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Place is open Christmas Day but enough others volunteered to work it, so no. Have to work Christmas Eve and Stephen's's's's's Day though. I wouldn't mind working a half day early Christmas Day if it came to it. Gutting to work the full day though, especially a late shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭northern lights

Yep, working a late shift both christmas eve and christmas day :( Off the 26th but back in for a late on monday 27th and a night shift on the 28th. With the roads the way they are I might have to stay overnight on christmas eve as well. Bah humbug :(

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

I have 4 whole days off from Christmas eve! WAHOOO!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

K4t wrote: »

Would you be saying this if one of your loved ones was hospital stricken :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

anyone have to work christmas day?

i work in a hotel and the night club is open xmas nite!...officially the 26th...absolutely disgusted..means i cant have a drink for me dinner :mad:

You should be grateful you have a Job OP :rolleyes: there are people on the dole out there starving with kids to buy presents for that don't need to read about your ignorant attitude. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

johnn wrote: »
    Would you be saying this if one of your loved ones was hospital stricken :rolleyes:
    You should be grateful you have a Job OP :rolleyes: there are people on the dole out there starving with kids to buy presents for that don't need to read about your ignorant attitude. :rolleyes:

You like a good :rolleyes:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MrHankey

K4t wrote: »

Fire Crews, Paramedics, Nurses, Hospital Doctors, Gardai, etc all NEED to work on Christmas day to look after the people who can't look after themselves.
    :rolleyes:

MrHankey wrote: »
    Fire Crews, Paramedics, Nurses, Hospital Doctors, Gardai, etc all NEED to work on Christmas day to look after the people who can't look after themselves.
    :rolleyes:

Do you not think these people deserve to be at home with their families too :rolleyes:

The OP is a only a barman anyway there's no need to compare him to emergency services ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Do you not think these people deserve to be at home with their families too :rolleyes:

The OP is a only a barman anyway there's no need to compare him to emergency services ffs.

now whos the one with an ignorant attitude?

krudler wrote: »

As I said in the fast-food thread, I still respect this man more than someone on the dole.

I am not the one nit-picking here, the poster I quoted was comparing a barman having to work with emergency services workers for whom working this day is part and parcel of their duty to me.

The barman has every right to feel annoyed as if the Irish punter such as yourself wasn't so obsessed with going on the sauce maybe he could be at home with his family this X-mas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

tbh its more his liberal use of :rolleyes: when he is not even being sarcastic that peeves me...
    :pac:

Is it this guys fault that some people don't have a job johnn?
    He just wants to spend some time at home over Christmas, your posts stink of bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

As I said in the fast-food thread, I still respect this man more than someone on the dole.

I am not the one nit-picking here, the poster I quoted was comparing a barman having to work with emergency services workers for whom working this day is part and parcel of their duty to me.

The barman has every right to feel annoyed as if the Irish punter such as yourself wasn't so obsessed with going on the sauce maybe he could be at home with his family this X-mas.

I'm working christmas day as well, so you can leave the idiotic generalisations out of this.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    tbh its more his liberal use of :rolleyes: when he is not even being sarcastic that peeves me...
    :pac:

Is it this guys fault that some people don't have a job johnn?
    He just wants to spend some time at home over Christmas, your posts stink of bitterness.

What would I have to be bitter about :confused: I am off X-mas day. Some people need to think their posts through, I am trying to have an intelligent discussion here :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm working christmas day as well, so you can leave the idiotic generalisations out of this.

Well that explains your bitter, begrudging attitude towards me then :rolleyes: Have fun.

Advertisement